PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Security System

NorthernHeat
07-13-2017, 04:00 PM
We have a small farm (about 15 acres) and we're looking into wireless security cameras to place throughout the property to monitor different parts of it.

It would be nice to be able to monitor it on a phone as well.

Anybody have any knowledge on security systems that would work well for something like this?

schüler
07-14-2017, 05:20 PM
I work in large scale commercial security sales, install and service. I'm not sure how much translates to your project but I'll help where I can.

Many questions come to mind, but let's start with these: What's your budget? Just a ballpark number. What distances do you envision for your wireless cameras and how do you plan to power them? What resolution are you looking for - good enough for criminal PID evidence or just real-time situational awareness/knowing what happened in an area? Do the areas in view have trees, bushes or grasses that move with the wind?

NorthernHeat
07-15-2017, 12:57 AM
I work in large scale commercial security sales, install and service. I'm not sure how much translates to your project but I'll help where I can.

Many questions come to mind, but let's start with these: What's your budget? Just a ballpark number. What distances do you envision for your wireless cameras and how do you plan to power them? What resolution are you looking for - good enough for criminal PID evidence or just real-time situational awareness/knowing what happened in an area? Do the areas in view have trees, bushes or grasses that move with the wind?

Thank you for the help!

Price range I really don't know, I was really looking to see what was out there and see the price ranges and then go from there. Not really looking for anything CRAZY pricey.

The layout we have is an open pasture for about 10 acres up front and 5 acres of woods in back. What I was hoping for was a security system that we could put at the front of the property to watch a food trailer that we are setting out near the road, but also have a couple cameras about 10 acres away near the actual house.

We are not looking for anything crazy, mainly being able to see and get good suspect description if somebody tries to steal the trailer during the night.

Solar powered would be very nice if possible, would also be nice to be able to access the system real time from a cell phone, but these are wants, not needs.

KPD
07-15-2017, 05:44 AM
https://www.buckeyecameras.com/

I know some Farmwatch programs use this system.

ETA: I didn't mean the animal rights group. I meant this. https://www.tn.gov/agriculture/article/ag-consumers-farm-watch

BN
07-15-2017, 08:50 AM
I have a deer cam I put out from time to time. Placement is critical unless you want hundreds of pictures of the trees moving in the wind.

Tabasco
07-15-2017, 12:43 PM
You might consider one of these as well:

https://www.mightymule.com/fm231/

Installed one at the beginning of the summer, has worked awesome so far. It comes with one receiver, you can buy more (I have 3). Frequency is controlled via DIP switch settings on transmitter and receivers. Range is 400 feet line of sight (less if obstructions present). Passive magnetic sensor is buried up to 12" deep parallel to driveway. Detects large metallic objects including ATV sized vehicles. Not sure about motorcycles. Uses 2 AA batteries in transmitter.

RevolverRob
07-15-2017, 12:55 PM
I recently purchased an Arlo setup for my parents. It is very affordable and very basic relative to other systems. It uses wireless, battery powered cameras with infrared nightvision. Range is limited (300 feet line of sight). But if one installed a series of WiFi extenders, I imagine you could get good coverage. In my parent's case, they don't even have 200-feet from front-to-back of the property. But they have a storage shed and parking at the rear of the house that cannot be viewed from inside the house, so remote cameras make sense for them.

-Rob

NorthernHeat
07-15-2017, 02:10 PM
You might consider one of these as well:

https://www.mightymule.com/fm231/

Installed one at the beginning of the summer, has worked awesome so far. It comes with one receiver, you can buy more (I have 3). Frequency is controlled via DIP switch settings on transmitter and receivers. Range is 400 feet line of sight (less if obstructions present). Passive magnetic sensor is buried up to 12" deep parallel to driveway. Detects large metallic objects including ATV sized vehicles. Not sure about motorcycles. Uses 2 AA batteries in transmitter.

Very neat product!

I had not thought of something like this, but it would definitely be useful for overall awareness.

Tabasco
07-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Very neat product!

I had not thought of something like this, but it would definitely be useful for overall awareness.

I have a long driveway and keep my gate closed most of the time. If I'm outside, I usually hear gravel crunching under tires of approaching cars, but inside not so much. Doesn't help that Google maps has my driveway as a shortcut to another road, and people love to ignore "Private Drive" signs. If my gate's closed, and I hear this thing go off, somethings very wrong. Zero false positives so far....

schüler
07-15-2017, 05:46 PM
The crux of a useful system is reliable detection of activity without causing an unacceptable number of false alarms. Large outdoor spaces are one of the greatest challenges, especially without a high game fence. Most viable solutions require integrated overlapping systems (video, intrusion detection, access control).

Geo-fencing: I'm sure you already have or have thought of a suitable hitching post for the trailer. The second most useful tool for mobile property like a trailer would be a cellular-connected "geo-fence" device. It continually checks its GPS position and notifies you if the trailer leaves a defined area or radius from its "home" location. Location updates can be provided until you turn it off.

A 12V solar panel could be wired to a battery that powers the hidden and protected device. Avoid 3rd-party cellular service if possible as they may be unreliable. Try to find a device with a direct-to-major carrier connection. You probably know which carriers work best in your area.

ANY security system needs to be tested periodically.

Video surveillance is a good solution if 1) the scene is stationary and 2) lighting is sufficient and 3) video is usable. I can get into the specifics if anyone is interested. I'll try not to tell you how to build a watch... but the devil's in the details.

Intrusion Detection Systems such as home burglar alarms are usually affordable, expandable and do a great job of protecting specific items such as house and gate openings. Wireless range is pretty good to excellent with some models. Some systems allow you to connect 3rd party devices such as shock/vibration sensors (similar to car alarm bump detection).

Outdoor devices cost more, but it's all about what you want to do and spend in money and time.

Check your PM.

Odin Bravo One
07-16-2017, 11:00 PM
I'll be in the market for some products soon myself. Following this topic with great interest.

NEPAKevin
07-17-2017, 01:57 PM
I have a long driveway and keep my gate closed most of the time. If I'm outside, I usually hear gravel crunching under tires of approaching cars, but inside not so much. Doesn't help that Google maps has my driveway as a shortcut to another road, and people love to ignore "Private Drive" signs. If my gate's closed, and I hear this thing go off, somethings very wrong. Zero false positives so far....

Couple years ago, I put a Chamberlain wireless motion detector (https://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-CWA2000-Weatherproof-Additional-Separately/dp/B002ISVJL6/ref=pd_bxgy_60_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002ISVJL6&pd_rd_r=1Y9WQ2WBS9JCQ71R6DF3&pd_rd_w=wmB7N&pd_rd_wg=WcnoE&psc=1&refRID=1Y9WQ2WBS9JCQ71R6DF3) near the end of the driveway on a large tree facing away from the entrance so it is not visible until after you go past it. It does go off for deer and bear but considering how many people have just walked onto our property, it's nice having a heads up. I had the same problem with the maps but from the other side. GPS told me to "turn right onto county road bla-bla" which was in reality a back entrance to someone's farm. It was an honest mistake, but I felt guilty as I had become the asshole doing the trespassing.

Tabasco
07-17-2017, 08:02 PM
Update.... My neighbor came by on his 4 wheel ATV, did not set it off. Automobiles do seem to set it off as advertised.

schüler
07-17-2017, 08:22 PM
Update.... My neighbor came by on his 4 wheel ATV, did not set it off. Automobiles do seem to set it off as advertised.

Is there a sensitivity adjustment on the field end? Is there any large metal structure or electrical power conduit nearby that could cause desense?

hufnagel
07-17-2017, 08:33 PM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JAVNZGK?psc=1

Direct burial CAT5E is a thing. Depending on your distances and ability to deploy it it could be useful. Maybe also a direct burial 110V link to a spot where you can box in a PoE switch to power various cameras. Also would allow you to set up a wireless hot spot closer to where the cameras are.

Tabasco
07-17-2017, 09:29 PM
Is there a sensitivity adjustment on the field end? Is there any large metal structure or electrical power conduit nearby that could cause desense?

Yes, it's set to maximum sensitivity. Our power line runs parallel (on poles) to the driveway, that might have something to do with it.

schüler
07-17-2017, 10:23 PM
If power lines are outside the device's detection radius I don't think they would be a problem. I looked up the device you posted earlier. It's pretty small for a loop detector and I usually see those located under the middle of an unpaved driveway at the best vehicle funnel point. Which isn't easy if concrete or paved. I've seen gate guys use the water hose+EMT conduit tunneling trick.

If driveway is concrete and rebar that could desense the circuit. Or some desense due to loop of excess cable. I'm guessing it's well away from any metal fencing or gate?

Tabasco
08-03-2017, 04:03 PM
Update on the Mighty Mule....

Working great until yesterday. Had a false alert during my wife's conference call. Gate was locked, went to investigate to find absolutely nothing.

2:45 or so in the morning, thing was going bonkers. WTF? Opened a window and listened, nothing. Looked for any sort of light in the area of the transmitter, nothing. Grabbed appropriate tool and went to check it out, nothing. Aliens?

Later in the morning, did basic troubleshooting; changed frequencies, batteries, re seated USB cable. When you remove and re-install batteries it sends a signal to the base station(s), so I knew the new frequencies were working and the transmitter was doing it's thing. Got in the Jeep, and drove by, nothing. Finally dug up the buried sensor only to find the end of the USB cable had been gnawed by something (gopher probably) and the metal sensor rod is missing. Maybe Mr. Gopher has an iron deficiency.

Bought grey PVC underground conduit for my next one which arrives on Saturday. Instructions mention you should run the cable in conduit, which I ignored. Will be burying the next one as suggested, considering placing the whole cable and sensor in watertight PVC to protect it, as I now kind of rely on it.

NEPAKevin
08-04-2017, 11:27 AM
Our range has a mighty mule gate opener which has had several switches destroyed by ants getting into the conduit. Might just be coincidence, but this has me wondering if there is something in common that is "tasty" that is used in their manufacturing.

Tabasco
08-04-2017, 11:08 PM
Our range has a mighty mule gate opener which has had several switches destroyed by ants getting into the conduit. Might just be coincidence, but this has me wondering if there is something in common that is "tasty" that is used in their manufacturing.

Supposedly many types of wire insulation are made with soy based products. The guy I've been working for, who is an electrician among other things told me that today. Who knew?

schüler
08-05-2017, 09:52 AM
I firmly believe rodents can sense electricity. Maybe the electric field of some devices ticks them off. Friends and family have had rodents create expensive wiring problems in vehicles that sat unused for awhile.

I grew up in share cropper conditions on 100ac. I was the rat killer king in my early teens. But not a single rat died or popped a fuse on my homemade electric traps - 120V straight or 20kV neon sign power supply concoctions. They simply stopped using those runs or kept off my bird feeder. At night with an old school Mag Light and 10/22 tho...