PDA

View Full Version : Unexplained Broken Bone?

TGS
07-12-2017, 02:15 PM
Well, ever have one?

I woke up Monday with some pain in my right foot. Nothing crazy, figured I must've had a cramp from activities over the weekend.

Yesterday it got worse to the point I was limping a little.

Today it felt way worse. Went into a CityMD urgent care around the corner from me and confirmed I broke a bone in my foot! No idea how.

Speaking of CityMD urgent care, wow that was awesome compared to going into a hospital. Never went to an urgent care, before. They had me in, examined, x-rayed, and out with my Darth Vader shoe in under 30 minutes.

blues
07-12-2017, 02:29 PM
My mother years ago broke a bone in her foot walking the dog without any particular trauma involved. I guess it can happen when all the right (or wrong) things align in just the right (wrong) way. Dunno. We have some medical folks who can probably shed some light on the matter.

ETA: Forgot to say I hope you feel better and mend quickly.

RevolverRob
07-12-2017, 02:50 PM
Yes. I've broken at least three bones without knowing specifically why. One in each foot and one in my left hand. All metacarpal/tarsal fractures. The metacarpals/tarsals and phalanges are all pretty "rod-like" in their nature and fairly thin in the middle-portion of the bone. It is not uncommon to have metatarsal fractures from jumping/landing on hard surfaces while wearing footwear that isn't properly supportive (or no footwear at all). It's extremely common with NBA athletes for instance. Similarly, I think I broke my hand by aggressively hammering fence posts in with a sledge hammer that was undersized for the task and not wearing gloves while doing it.

Totem Polar
07-12-2017, 03:02 PM
I found out that my ankle was once broken, years after the fact, when it had to be x-rayed for something else. Evidently, when you break the lower tip of your fibula (lateral mallecious... sounds like a small carbon blade from specialized circumstance...) it stays in 2 pieces.

rd62
07-12-2017, 07:20 PM
Yes. Hand and an ankle.

Lester Polfus
07-13-2017, 12:09 AM
That sucks man.

I woke up with an unexplained broken bone once, but there was Jaegermeister involved. Later some of the other guys on board told me the other guy was much worse, and I should stay on board until we left Apra, because there were some Marines looking for me.

Odin Bravo One
07-13-2017, 08:53 AM
My wife broke her jaw flossing her teeth.

TGS
07-13-2017, 09:09 AM

That's some fucking hard core flossing. Gat'damn, woman.

blues
07-13-2017, 09:11 AM

That's some fucking hard core flossing. Gat'damn, woman.

May I suggest the Waterpik? ;)

(I actually do love mine. I hate string floss.)

Odin Bravo One
07-13-2017, 09:44 AM
Like I had to call DocGKR on the phone to find out if the symptoms were ER worthy....... come to find out...... yup.

This is the day we have the new puppy, and a sitter watching our infant while shopping for the pup, and I drop her at the ER to get the puppy items home, pay the sitter, and return to the hospital......

ER staff was slightly suspicious on how the injury happened, not to mention the husband just dropping off the wife at the ER with a broken jaw........then leaving.

blues
07-13-2017, 10:04 AM
Like I had to call DocGKR on the phone to find out if the symptoms were ER worthy....... come to find out...... yup.

This is the day we have the new puppy, and a sitter watching our infant while shopping for the pup, and I drop her at the ER to get the puppy items home, pay the sitter, and return to the hospital......

ER staff was slightly suspicious on how the injury happened, not to mention the husband just dropping off the wife at the ER with a broken jaw........then leaving.

I didn't know about the puppy and infant part but I pretty much imagined the rest of the scenario. Dangerous waters...

JM Campbell
07-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Co-worker had similar issue with his elderly mother. She woke up with her jaw locked and unable to move it, went to hospital and was asked who was her care giver. The son was called and investigated for elderly abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txdpd
07-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Broke my little left toe, I think when I stubbed it on a piece of furniture, broke off the nail and hurt for a week. Years later I got new boots that pinched the toe the wrong way and it felt like someone hit it with a sledge hammer. X revealed an old fracture.

Sesamoids are broken in both feet, probably from running, they are asymptomatic.

Totem Polar
07-13-2017, 11:53 AM

That's pretty random. My old friend and martial arts coach--who was a sub commander, incidentally, once sneezed and popped patches of bone off the top of his pelvic girdle. I guess there isn't much to do aboad a trident besides sit ups.

rd62
07-13-2017, 11:58 AM

I'm sure the flossing explanation didn't help matters!

That's crazy man!

Robinson
07-13-2017, 01:00 PM
My broken fingers, thumbs, and teeth have all been pretty explainable. My wife still shook her head and rolled her eyes though.

Chance
07-13-2017, 03:23 PM
I think we beat ourselves up more than we realize. My SO has a very pale complexion and I routinely spot bruises on her.

"What happened there?"

"I didn't even notice that."

Odin Bravo One
07-13-2017, 03:37 PM
I'm sure the flossing explanation didn't help matters!

That's crazy man!
That's the only thing that saved me was the explanation....... you can't make that shit up.

Irelander
07-13-2017, 03:44 PM
I had a broken heel when I was a kid. Apparently I was growing too fast and my tendons and muscles pulled so tightly that my heel bone separated a little. I wore a cast for a while and all was well. Only time I ever had a broken bone.

RevolverRob
07-13-2017, 03:46 PM
I think we beat ourselves up more than we realize. My SO has a very pale complexion and I routinely spot bruises on her.

"What happened there?"

"I didn't even notice that."

Oh if we move to unexplained cuts/bruises/aches/pains I'm a walking factory for mucked up body parts. I basically wake up every morning with a new bruise or a new cut. I have absolutely no idea where 90% of them come from.

Rex G
07-13-2017, 04:30 PM
I learned to be much more careful with my hands, after fracturing fingers several times, in a variety of ways, some unknown. The most annoying was a mystery fracture that caused me to miss a mandated two-day patrol rifle update class, by a specific cut-off date. This relegated me to being unable to qual with a patrol rifle until I first complete the entire new-curriculum five-day certification course. (Actually, I might have gritted my teeth and endured the two-day class, except that I also tweaked my bad knee at about the same time, so I threw in the towel.)

Drang
07-13-2017, 04:33 PM
Unexplained Broken Bone?
Usually involved PT, or similar Army fun and games.
"When did this happen?"
"Shit, I don't know, the assault course? Night land nav? Rappelling from a Blackhawk? I suppose it could have been changing the tire on the deuce and a half..."