PDA

View Full Version : J frame bugs

TMC1926
07-06-2017, 01:22 PM
I was just wondering who all carries a S&W J frame For a back up or off duty gun these days?

deputyG23
07-06-2017, 01:26 PM
I carry a 442 as a BUG when off duty and as a primary in the pocket when belt carry is not feasible. 98% of the time, I manage to carry either a Glock 22 or 23 concealed.

blues
07-06-2017, 01:26 PM
I was just wondering who all carries a S&W J frame For a back up or off duty gun these days?

Lots of folks hereabouts. Including this one. For walking distances from my home it can be carried as a primary. Otherwise it is either left at home or relegated to backup duty on the rare occasion this retired LEO feels the need for a backup.

Duelist
07-06-2017, 01:38 PM
I still use my 642 from time to time on the ankle or in a pocket, but most other carry methods, I can hide something easier to shoot and reload that holds more rounds, so usually, it's a backup. Even in the pocket these days, it's rare. But I carried it as my only CCW weapon for over 10 years.

TC215
07-06-2017, 05:19 PM
I've carried an M&P340 on my ankle on-duty for almost 10 years now.

SeriousStudent
07-06-2017, 06:50 PM
I rarely carry one while napping on the couch. But if I'm awake, there is a S&W 342 in the left front pocket.

Rex G
07-06-2017, 08:03 PM
I have not been carrying my 642-based Performance Center J-snub in an LE context for quite some time. First, it got displaced by SP101 snub-guns, then further displaced by a G26. I must qual with each firearm I carry in public places, on or off the clock, with the only acceptable exceptions being firearms used purely for sport, and weapons carried only while at home. While policy does not limit my total number of weapon quals, there is a single-digit number of available places on the virtual "qual card," and my perceived level of need for a J-snub on the street has not prompted me to fire an annual qual with it in over a decade. The SP101 is small enough, during personal time, and in uniform, a G26 is usually small enough.

I carried Models 60, 649, 640, and the above-mentioned Performance Center J at work, from 1984 into the early part of this century, mostly in various ankle rigs, settling upon the Alessi ankle holster, some time in the Nineties.

My J-snub has a place for occasional casual carry while at home, which has little or nothing to do with my LE status.

I do foresee a shift, after I retire. I will want to be less casual about concealment, and will only have to qual with one revolver, and one autoloader, to carry any number of revolvers and autoloaders. When in grandpa mode, I may not feel like dressing around service/duty weapons as much of the time.

w provence
07-07-2017, 12:04 AM
I've carried and still do a 642. Front left pocket while on duty. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170707/84ca0e9c9b486d19cecc3322a484be1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank R
07-07-2017, 01:50 AM
I've been carrying one for fifty years. Presently, it's a Ruger LCR.

SoCalDep
07-07-2017, 02:50 AM
I used to carry a S&W 342PD then a Ruger SP101. After carrying the Ruger a while I moved over to autos, carrying a Beretta Mini Cougar .45, S&W Chiefs Special .45, and lastly a M&P9C before I left patrol.

Currently, when necessary, I carry a Glock 43 as a backup on duty, but I did just pick up an early 90's S&W 640 and it shoots better than any revolver I've ever had! It may find some use as a backup.

While off duty, I usually carry a G26 or some flavor of 1911, but from the moment I get up in the morning until when I go to bed my Ruger LCP is in my front right pocket.

rathos
07-07-2017, 04:25 AM
carry a 442 on the ankle on and off duty. on duty I also carry a Ruger LCR in the left front pocket.

Dagga Boy
07-07-2017, 06:49 AM
Pretty much always have an M&P 340 in the pocket to back up my primary carry gun, or as an around the house gun.

BobM
07-07-2017, 08:04 AM
On duty or off, there is a 642 in my left front pocket. I also have a spare in a safe in case it ends up in the shop or an evidence room.

gtmtnbiker98
07-07-2017, 09:35 AM
I abandoned the J-frame a little over a year ago in favor of a PPS and a six round flush fit magazine as my pocket/BUG. It's always with me.

Chuck Haggard
07-07-2017, 09:46 AM
I've used a 642 as a BUG for over a decade. Sometimes using an LCR now.

Jared
07-07-2017, 01:05 PM
I've used a 642 as a BUG for over a decade. Sometimes using an LCR now.

Would you be willing to expand a bit more on the LCR? How you like it, etc?

ETA: as compared to a j frame

KPD
07-07-2017, 10:38 PM
I carried a J frame of one flavor or another for 17 years. The last 4 years or so has been an LCR .357 Because I can see the LCR sights better and I can run it just a little better than a J frame.

Willard
07-07-2017, 10:43 PM
Would you be willing to expand a bit more on the LCR? How you like it, etc?

ETA: as compared to a j frame

Interested in this. Reviews I've seen vary wildly.

Erick Gelhaus
07-07-2017, 11:25 PM
Carried a J frame as an on-duty BUG for pushing a couple decades ... yeah, I'm old. It went into evidence and sat there for a l-o-n-g time, so I ended up switching to a 9mm Shield. While I eventually got the J frame back, I stayed with the Sheild.

deputyG23
07-08-2017, 06:02 AM
Interested in this. Reviews I've seen vary wildly.

I am as well. Especially the sights. My 442 front sight is hard to pick up quickly.

GAP
07-08-2017, 07:57 AM
I am as well. Especially the sights. My 442 front sight is hard to pick up quickly.

Have you painted it? Glossy white then bright glossy orange on top of it really helps.

RE OP: J-Frame is a no Belt gun for me. The DSG metal clip holster works really well with athletic shorts. Primarily used when walking the dog.

blues
07-08-2017, 08:19 AM

Have you painted it? Makes a huge difference.

ETA: I see that my friend GAP and I are on the same page. I'll find some images of my painted front sight and post them here.

Here's a link (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24597-Painted-My-S-amp-W-642-s-Front-Sight) to the thread where painting the sight is discussed.

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14427&d=1488513129

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14428&d=1488513149

And after blackening the rear sight with a Sharpie:

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14434&d=1488550088

GAP
07-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Have you painted it? Makes a huge difference. I'll find an image of my painted front sight and post it here.

Just snapped one. :cool:

GAP
07-08-2017, 08:56 AM
Nice, might have to try black paint on the rear.

blues
07-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Nice, might have to try black paint on the rear.

Just a regular old fine point Sharpie was all I used.

Drang
07-08-2017, 09:19 AM
Trying the new Twitter tag:

Um...

deputyG23
07-08-2017, 09:42 AM
Have you painted it? Makes a huge difference.

ETA: I see that my friend GAP and I are on the same page. I'll find some images of my painted front sight and post them here.

Here's a link (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24597-Painted-My-S-amp-W-642-s-Front-Sight) to the thread where painting the sight is discussed.

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14427&d=1488513129

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14428&d=1488513149

And after blackening the rear sight with a Sharpie:

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14434&d=1488550088
Just got back from Green Top with a pound of BE-86 pistol powder and jars of white and bright orange lure paint. Going to give this a try.

blues
07-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Just got back from Green Top with a pound of BE-86 pistol powder and jars of white and bright orange lure paint. Going to give this a try.

I let it dry about 45 minutes or so between coats. It's held up well since doing it through various means of pocket carry, a range session or two and cleaning.

I think you'll be well pleased with the results.

Hambo
07-08-2017, 03:32 PM
I find Covergirl Outlast Stay Brilliant holds up well.

Don't judge me, blues.

Duelist
07-08-2017, 03:59 PM
I use bright orange model paint, and a toothpick for the front, and a black sharpie for the back, but I hit the whole channel, not just the square.

Detmongo
07-08-2017, 04:51 PM
I've been carrying a J frame of sorts for the last 32years. Sometimes as primary but mostly as a backup.

blues
07-08-2017, 04:55 PM
I find Covergirl Outlast Stay Brilliant holds up well.

Don't judge me, blues.

I don't hate you because you're beautiful! Easy, breezy covergirl you!

;)

Sherman A. House DDS
07-08-2017, 05:24 PM
I've been using a j frame (or an LCR) as a BUG, or a, "Rule One Gun," for 21 years.

I've written about my love/hate relationship with the LCR fairly extensively on my site, revolverscience.com

Like Legendary Lawman Marshal Chuck Haggard, if I am on foot, within 3 miles of my home, I'll roll solo with the j frame, but otherwise I roll full size pistol.

blues
07-08-2017, 05:36 PM
Like Legendary Lawman Marshal Chuck Haggard, if I am on foot, within 3 miles of my home, I'll roll solo with the j frame, but otherwise I roll full size pistol.

Seems I am in very good company...and oddly enough had come up with the same "rule" without previously knowing that it was held by a couple of gents I hold in high esteem.

w provence
07-08-2017, 05:38 PM
^^^^^^^^what he said.

Doug MacRay
07-08-2017, 08:35 PM
A 442/642 J-frame with a Clip Draw carried appendix is the lightest, most concealable carry system I've ever known. I was skeptical of the Clip Draw when I first installed it, as it left the trigger exposed while carrying. But I ran it through every realistically conceivable scenario I could with it strapped to me and couldn't make it ND or fall off of my clothing, even when I specifically tried to catch the trigger on my thickest clothing (Carhartts, leather jacket, etc.) to cause an ND while drawing or "holstering" (all done while unloaded obviously). I did handstand pushups with it clipped to my slick running shorts and it didn't fall off. I'm surprised the Clip Draw hasn't caught on more than it has (a search of the P-F site shows only a few mentions regarding a Clip Draw + J-Frame). I understand the reluctance to carry a pistol outside of a holster with no manual safety, but the 442/642 is has a factory trigger that is perfect for the Clip Draw system. It conceals well and gives me the fastest draws of any concealed pistol I've ever owned. Most of all it's downright convenient as I can carry it and even jog/workout with it without a holster.

As to reliability, I've never had any issues whatsoever with my J-frames. The only downside to a J-Frame (with big hands) was learning to adjust my grip when firing it so that the cylinder release didn't shave the skin off of my thumb when firing. The first time I fired one I skinned my thumb on the first shot so badly that each successive shot spattered blood all over the gun. I had to stop after the first 5 rounds to bandage my thumb for the sake of hygiene.

scw2
07-08-2017, 10:52 PM
One tip I picked up on painting the front sight is only going low enough to where you would have a full and good sight picture. If you notice both GAP and blues only pain part of their sights. My friend painted his entire sight and I didn't tell him that tip, only that he could paint the sight orange and sharpie the rears.

BehindBlueI's
07-08-2017, 11:18 PM
Not technically a J-frame, but the Ruger equivalent of the LCR. It's actually in my pajama pocket as I type this.

Rex G
07-09-2017, 06:45 AM

Three miles? I am envious. Even though I live within a quite "safe" small city, Bellaire, Texas, it is surrounded by Houston, parts of which, to the south, southwest, west, and northwest, are trying to be Little Memphis, Little Chicago, and Little Mogadishu right now, especially one formerly-nice apartment complex that recently started renting to hard gang thug types. My J-Snub-only comfort radius would be less than a mile.

LockedBreech
07-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Not technically a J-frame, but the Ruger equivalent of the LCR. It's actually in my pajama pocket as I type this.

Having owned a no-lock 642 and an LCR, I greatly preferred the LCR.

Duelist
07-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Three miles? I am envious. Even though I live within a quite "safe" small city, Bellaire, Texas, it is surrounded by Houston, parts of which, to the south, southwest, west, and northwest, are trying to be Little Memphis, Little Chicago, and Little Mogadishu right now, especially one formerly-nice apartment complex that recently started renting to hard gang thug types. My J-Snub-only comfort radius would be less than a mile.

My 642 solo comfort level has gone from everywhere, all the time, why would I ever need anything more than this and a couple of speed strips, to ... pjs. Even out running with the dog, I want more.

Sherman A. House DDS
07-09-2017, 09:29 PM

I think that it's safe to consider that parameter location dependent.

Frank R
07-09-2017, 10:58 PM
It appears some of you want to live forever.

SeriousStudent
07-09-2017, 11:53 PM

I'm not scared of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens.

JR1572
07-10-2017, 02:15 AM
After being J-frame less for 3 years, I picked up a CEN prefix .38 only 640 yesterday afternoon.

JR1572

deputyG23
07-10-2017, 04:43 AM
Call me paranoid if you like, but my J frame comfort radius stops at my front door. I reluctantly carry one solo only if any sort of belt carry is out of the question because of clothing or medical restrictions. When my back went out in the winter of '16 for six weeks and donning concert black for a music performance are my times that the five shooter serves as a primary. I would feel better with a second J or equivalent secreted somewhere. In my hands, a J is a one thug gun. Maybe two if I am lucky. Need to spend more quality range and dry fire time with both of my Smith five shooters.

blues
07-10-2017, 08:14 AM
My J frame is what I choose for going (to or) from the front door anywhere on our small acre plus wooded property, up and down the (unlighted) gravel road with the dog or down the 4/10 mile to the mailbox on the "main" road (if I don't choose to wear one of my three Glocks instead).

Otherwise it is relegated to being staged within our home or back up duty (for those rare occasions I might feel the need).

Anytime I drive to town or any other locale, one of the Glocks is called upon.

BN
07-10-2017, 03:15 PM
For me, a J-Frame is only a range toy.

Frank R
07-11-2017, 12:04 AM
I'm not scared of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens.

Why worry? You'll soon forget.

Rex G
07-11-2017, 01:25 AM

What does this response have to do with the topic of backup guns, or snub-guns in general, or with Law Enforcement?

I do not want to live forever, but would like to have an effective say in the matter if someone were to try to take part of my allotted time from me, or harm another. Personal weapons help me to do that. Some weapons help me to do that more effectively, or at longer range, than others.

Jay Cunningham
07-11-2017, 05:19 AM
I typically stay away from moderating the LE forum.

However l'll make a special exception and say this is not general discussion and it is not lightly moderated and it's not a place to shitpost or troll.

lwt16
07-11-2017, 07:41 AM
Still rock a 442 on occasion.......Hogue grips, little orange on the front sight, Galco ankle glove when needed.

Winter time (when we have winter like conditions in Alabama) I stuff it in my jacket pocket. On duty my G42s and 43s usually fill the BUG role.

Regards.

dieselvrr
07-14-2017, 06:57 AM
642 on occasion here but just picked up g43 too get into the rotation

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

KenpoTex
07-14-2017, 09:08 AM
I carry a 442 as my on-duty bug. Ankle carry when in class-B pants, and in the pocket when wearing 5.11's.
Off duty, it's my "in the pocket while mowing or walking the dog gun.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete 10
07-14-2017, 09:48 PM
My primary is a 642.

Det1397
07-15-2017, 02:15 PM
During my 34+ year career in Patrol, Community Patrol, Plainclothes and Detective, I almost always carried some sort of J BUG either on the ankle or in a cargo pocket (bicycle patrol). I started with a 642 and moved to a 342 a while ago... I recently tried a G42 in an Ankle Glove and found it comfortable, but drawing a J BUG from the ankle just seems easier. Also, with pocket carry, I find J Frames don't print as much as the squared off G42 and G43 and again, seem easier to draw... YMMV.

Rex G
07-15-2017, 04:31 PM
The J-Smith that I absolutely loved, and now miss terribly, was a a Model 60, Lear-Siegler era, with a square grip frame and 3" bull barrel. It was one of a limited run for either Lew Horton or John Jovino, who regularly commissioned runs of 5000 or so pieces in those days. I think this was was made for Lew Horton. The square grip frame and longer barrel made this one almost as shootable as a larger-frame sixgun. When I later tried, and really liked, the SP101, it was largely because it reminded me of the limited-run Model 60 I had let get away.