PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson Buys GemTech

HCM
07-02-2017, 09:17 PM
http://www.recoilweb.com/smith-wesson-buys-gemtech-128578.html

Gemtech, the World’s Leader in Silencers, now has the backing of the most powerful company in the firearms industry: Smith & Wesson. Combined with the outstanding companies of American Outdoor Brands Corporation, this strengthens the decades old team that is Gemtech.

Read more: http://www.recoilweb.com/smith-wesson-buys-gemtech-128578.html#ixzz4ljOOuPpN

With Remington, SIG and even Ruger in the suppressor game I suppose this isn't that surprising.

busykngt
07-02-2017, 10:15 PM
I think those companies are betting on the 'Hearing Protection Act' passing Congress' approval to remove suppressors from the $200 Stamp Tax!

--
What we need is more unemployed politicians.

LittleLebowski
07-03-2017, 07:15 AM
I think those companies are betting on the 'Hearing Protection Act' passing Congress' approval to remove suppressors from the $200 Stamp Tax!

Such is my fervent hope.

busykngt
07-03-2017, 07:20 AM
Duplicate post

busykngt
07-03-2017, 07:23 AM
I keep reading where it's making progress but yet never seems to actually come up for a vote (or whatever it takes to change the law). It's apparently got a lot of support (via co-signers) - so I'm not really understanding what the holdup is.
--
What we need is more unemployed politicians.

farscott
07-03-2017, 08:11 AM
Let's hope GemTech does better than Thompson/Center has done under S&W ownership.

As for the bill, it just takes one influential Member of Congress to table the legislation, trapping it in committee.

Odin Bravo One
07-03-2017, 08:25 AM
We will have a stamp burning party at the Sean M range and boarding house if it does.......

Hambo
07-03-2017, 01:17 PM
I keep reading where it's making progress but yet never seems to actually come up for a vote (or whatever it takes to change the law). It's apparently got a lot of support (via co-signers) - so I'm not really understanding what the holdup is.

One word: midterms. They have to smell the wind before they commit.

voodoo_man
07-03-2017, 02:38 PM
Most large AR companies own can companies...

My thoughts are someone in s&e corporate imagined a world where someone walks into a gun shop and buys an MP15 of whatever spec and gets a gemtech can with it, OEM. That'll make sure they sell like hotcakes...

Jim Watson
07-04-2017, 12:50 PM
Looks like a smart business move.
HPA has been incorporated into the SHARE bill.
Since it includes a provision for refund of transfer tax on sales since the bill was introduced, there is no reason not to jump on the silencer bandwagon.
So if it passes you are in good shape, if not, you are no worse off than before.

ragnar_d
07-04-2017, 03:12 PM
Most large AR companies own can companies...

My thoughts are someone in s&e corporate imagined a world where someone walks into a gun shop and buys an MP15 of whatever spec and gets a gemtech can with it, OEM. That'll make sure they sell like hotcakes...

I was thinking almost exactly that. The Gemtech SURG on top of an M&P15 lower would be a tempting commodity for many. I just hope that S&W (or whatever they're calling themselves) don't pull a Feinberg and burn the companies into the landscape.

JSGlock34
07-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Firearm sales are down and PMAGs are practically being used as shipping peanuts. No doubt these companies are hoping HPA will jumpstart sales by opening a new market. Suppressor companies are also having a tough time right now as NFA purchases are down due to HPA, so joining with a larger manufacturer provides some security.