PDA

View Full Version : Volund Gearworks Atlas Belt

orionz06
01-04-2012, 11:14 AM
There aren't too many things to come along and spark me to want to start a thread over but this belt is one of the few. I spied them on Facebook through another friends company and was instantly drawn towards what I hoped would be my next belt. I have had belts made by all the people everyone is thinking about but they just don't work out for me like they do for others.

Stiffness: I wanted a stiff belt but found other belts to be too stiff. Some were perfect. This is pretty damned close. It can hold up a gun and some mags like many of the other great belts. What this doesn't do is cut into me like I felt others doing. I have sold off all my other cobra buckle type belts so I am unable to make a direct comparison but this feels a little better.

Ease of use: It wasn't until the cobra buckle belts came along that belts became a pain in the ass to use. This belt is easier to use but you lose the (in)convenience of the cobra buckle. That is a plus for me, I found them to be a major pain in the ass. The pals spacing on the non-buckle end can be a little tough to thread through some gear but nothing outrageous. There is also nothing to lose unlike the male buckle end on some cobra belts.

Noise: Not that it matters to everyone but I hated taking care of business and having a belt chatter the whole time. This is silent.

Quality: Seems very well made, much like all the other belts out there. There is no drop in quality when you buy from someone else as others would have you believe.

Overall: This belt has replaced my wilderness 5 stitch. I wore the two back and forth for a little over a month now carrying all kinds of crap and keep coming back to the Atlas belt. I think it is the belt I was looking for as I find the cobra buckle belts to be more work than needed. That is not to say the other belts suck, there are lots of well made belts out there. Bottom line is this belt should be added to any list of good belts.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/orionz06/1f30a635.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/orionz06/18a9f1e6.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/orionz06/270df6e4.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/orionz06/6e26d224.jpg

I am not associated with Volund Gearworks.

To my knowledge their website is in progress and not quite ready. I found them through Facebook.

-----------------
Since my original posting of this in November I am still wearing it and it has been the only non-Wilderness belt I kept.

Sparks2112
01-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Interesting, is that a 1.5" or 1.75"?

orionz06
01-04-2012, 12:22 PM
1.5 inches

LittleLebowski
01-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Price?

seabiscuit
01-04-2012, 12:50 PM
How much is it?

orionz06
01-04-2012, 12:53 PM
$Forty

LittleLebowski
01-04-2012, 01:02 PM
$Forty

Damn, guess I'm ordering one. Nice price.

JV_
01-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Damn, guess I'm ordering one. Nice price.

Me too, but how would you do that?

orionz06
01-04-2012, 01:04 PM
I got him on FB and emailed him.

Jac
01-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Damn... you'd have to post this when my Wilderness 5-stitch is on the truck. This forum is going to cost me so much money...

jmjames
01-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Great review, I've sent a message through Facebook to place an order. Love that price too! I can't remember the last time anyone actually saw my best since I wear a tucked in shirt maybe twice a year, this will be perfect for my needs.

J.Ja

LittleLebowski
01-04-2012, 01:25 PM
I don't do FB so I would appreciate real contact information.

JV_
01-04-2012, 01:26 PM
I don't do FB so I would appreciate real contact information. matt@volundgearworks.com

LittleLebowski
01-04-2012, 01:28 PM
matt@volundgearworks.com

Thanks, man. You're a helluva guy when you sober up.

orionz06
01-04-2012, 01:31 PM
I don't do FB so I would appreciate real contact information.

Then what do you do at work?

LittleLebowski
01-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Then what do you do at work?

Forums and....powering the internet.

VolGrad
01-04-2012, 01:45 PM
We've arleady spoken via PM so you know I'm ordering tonight once I look him up on FaceBook.

However, does that buckle lay flat? In one of the pics it looks like one side is sticking out a bit (not the part that is hooked in, the other side).

orionz06
01-04-2012, 01:51 PM
The belt is 3/16" thick, at the buckle the max thickness is 3/8" and it is not an issue as it is fairly flat. It is still thinner than other buckles.

LittleLebowski
01-04-2012, 02:07 PM
As long as the buckle doesn't have 3-5 steps to secure.....

orionz06
01-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Nope. It is as simple as it looks. The belt also does not disassemble into more than one piece.

The only complaint I had at first was getting it snug, the angle you pull on the hook is a little weird but I am used to it and it rocks. Nothing to jingle around either.

VolGrad
01-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Nope. It is as simple as it looks. The belt also does not disassemble into more than one piece.

The only complaint I had at first was getting it snug, the angle you pull on the hook is a little weird but I am used to it and it rocks. Nothing to jingle around either.

I suspect the intinial adjustment is a bitch followed by minor adjustments if you eat too much over the holidays, etc. I also suspect you would have to do the adjustment while swapping from IWB to OWB, if you do such. It would prob be wise for a lazy man to own two .... one adjusted for IWB and one for OWB. Heck, at $40 one could easily afford to do that.

orionz06
01-04-2012, 02:21 PM
No, it is very simple. You have a few PALS/molle columns that the hook fits into giving a coarse adjustment of 1.5". You then cinch the other end down for fine adjustment.

LittleLebowski
01-04-2012, 02:24 PM
I sent an email to him. Did you specify the exact length and everything in your order?

orionz06
01-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Belt sizes are iffy with me, I told my tale of woe and got a size that I felt best met my needs based on what I told him, if that makes sense.

SmokeJumper
01-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Looks to be a cool low profile belt. Are they all 1.5" widths and do the have a website? Did not seem to be able to find a web site.

jmjames
01-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Looks to be a cool low profile belt. Are they all 1.5" widths and do the have a website? Did not seem to be able to find a web site.

It seems like you either need to contact them through Facebook or email them directly.

J.Ja

LittleLebowski
01-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Ordered. He accepts PayPal.

Buzz Fledderjohn
01-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Hey All,
Figured with the interest that I should chime in.....I own Volund Gearworks and am the maker of the Atlas belt reviewed here. Folks with technical questions can PM me or send an email if they want, and I can also try to answer questions here, too if that's fine with the Mods. Already replying to the emails sent earlier.
I've shipped out quite a few belts in the last couple months as I begin to ramp up production and get the website off the ground. Two went over to Iraq recently even. I have a few stocking dealers currently, one who stocks mostly a custom design using a Cobra buckle, but since that design isn't very unique and rather my spin on current offerings those will not likely be available otherwise. Might add a couple more dealers and then also sell off the website.
I'll be launching the website shortly, like before SHOT shortly.....and the retail portal will follow soon after. For anyone who is interested in picking one up in the mean time just drop me a line and we can get what you want hashed out and an order in the pipe. I will not request funds until the product is ready to ship as I sometimes run out of materials or get bogged down with a dealer or custom work order and hate to take funds and then make folks wait before shipping their goods.
Thanks again for the interest.....

jmjames
01-04-2012, 05:45 PM
I just sent an email...

J.Ja

Sparks2112
01-04-2012, 06:27 PM
You should pm me with how your dealer packages work. :)

Hey All,
Figured with the interest that I should chime in.....I own Volund Gearworks and am the maker of the Atlas belt reviewed here. Folks with technical questions can PM me or send an email if they want, and I can also try to answer questions here, too if that's fine with the Mods. Already replying to the emails sent earlier.
I've shipped out quite a few belts in the last couple months as I begin to ramp up production and get the website off the ground. Two went over to Iraq recently even. I have a few stocking dealers currently, one who stocks mostly a custom design using a Cobra buckle, but since that design isn't very unique and rather my spin on current offerings those will not likely be available otherwise. Might add a couple more dealers and then also sell off the website.
I'll be launching the website shortly, like before SHOT shortly.....and the retail portal will follow soon after. For anyone who is interested in picking one up in the mean time just drop me a line and we can get what you want hashed out and an order in the pipe. I will not request funds until the product is ready to ship as I sometimes run out of materials or get bogged down with a dealer or custom work order and hate to take funds and then make folks wait before shipping their goods.
Thanks again for the interest.....

VolGrad
01-04-2012, 06:35 PM
I sent an e-mail as well. Ready to place an order and try one out.

Thanks for chiming in Matt. I sent the msg before seeing your post here. :o

seabiscuit
01-04-2012, 06:36 PM
How does the stiffness compare to a Wilderness 5-Stitch and how far does the back part extend under the front part? Does it go through that loop?

orionz06
01-04-2012, 06:44 PM
How does the stiffness compare to a Wilderness 5-Stitch and how far does the back part extend under the front part? Does it go through that loop?

It is stiffer than the 5 stitch and for me, I think it is just right. I have had other nylon ranger style belts that were too stiff.

Buzz Fledderjohn
01-04-2012, 09:51 PM

The tail of the belt indeed slips into that loop in the last picture. Depending on size and where you set the 1" adjustment webbing will determine how much of the tail is overlapped. Since you don't necessarily need to wear the belt "centered" it's nice to have a little extra grab on the tail to keep it from slipping up or down depending on where the first pant belt loop is.

tmoore912
01-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Any info on how one measures for correct size with this belt? Looks very interesting.

TheLaw
01-05-2012, 02:35 PM
I just got done ordering and communicating via email with him regarding size. I wear a 36" pant, which allows enough room for IWB carry. His Medium belt goes up to 38" and his large starts at 36" going up from there. He suggested I order the Large, and said there would be plenty of room to adjust up or down. He stated he wore a 36" pant as well and this was the size that best fit him.

Hope this helps.

VolGrad
01-05-2012, 03:23 PM
I'll chime in on sizing as well since I ordered last night.

Here's what Matt sent WRT sizing.

Atlas Belt Sizing (inches):
SM 28-34
MD 32-38
LG 36-42
XL 40-46
I am somewhere between 32-34" pant size, depending on brand/style.
My Wilderness belts are 36" and 37" but are a little too long.
My leather belts that are too small for me are 35" and 36".
My leather belts that I wear frequently (but are a little too long) are 38".

It was suggested I order a MD.

Hope this helps.

jmjames
01-05-2012, 05:13 PM
I measure 40" on the waist but wear 38" pants (I swear, it's muscle!), they put an XL on order for me (I'll be carrying IWB).

I think OP deserves a gift or something for writing this review, looks like it's turned into a lot of orders!

J.Ja

Buzz Fledderjohn
01-05-2012, 07:39 PM
I think OP deserves a gift or something for writing this review, looks like it's turned into a lot of orders!

J.Ja

yeah he's getting some commission for this one.....:)
nice to get more belts out there on folks before the actual launch starts, might have to hire more help depending on how things heat up after SHOT.

As for sizing, it's kind of a clusterf*ck, like buying pants and shoes for some folks. My pants range from 34 to even 38 waist sizes to fit comfortably. I usually recommend folks order by their most comfortable pant size taking carry methods into account, and then shoot for the one that puts you in the lower range of the size. There will always be need for folks to return a belt due to sizing issues and I'll have a method for that...

LittleLebowski
01-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Mine is done and shipping! Impressive.

JDM
01-07-2012, 10:39 AM
LL, when you get it will you post some pictures of how you have it set up for AIWB. I'm trying to see if it will work with a shaggy and a reverse cant mag carrier.

JV_
01-07-2012, 10:39 AM

You suck. I thought I got my order in before you did.

TheLaw
01-07-2012, 11:06 AM

So what, 3 days?! That is impressive. I ordered mine shortly after you and Volgrad so looks like I'll be getting a chance to try it out soon.

Buzz Fledderjohn
01-07-2012, 11:35 AM
The folks who didn't order black will actually be complete first. I ran out of black webbing while building a dealer order just before the wave of orders from you guys came in, thought my pile of scuba webbing was actually flat webbing....d'oh!
Anyway it will be here Tuesday most likely and I should be able to complete all the other PF orders before I fly out next Sunday. If anyone is heading to SHOT as well and wants to check one out or even take delivery there we can certainly plan to connect up, already have a couple tentative meetings set as it is from folks through this forum. PM or email me.

ToddG
01-07-2012, 04:10 PM
LL, when you get it will you post some pictures of how you have it set up for AIWB. I'm trying to see if it will work with a shaggy and a reverse cant mag carrier.

This is my thought as well. I have a gun at 1 o'clock, Clinch Pick at 11 o'clock, and magazine at 9 o'clock. Getting all of this to work with a belt actually requires some thought process to make sure (a) it's easy to get the belt on and off and (b) nothing has to ride on the belt at a point where the belt is double thickness due to the tail overlapping the body.

Shellback
01-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Hope this helps. From the Volund FB page.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1115/volund.jpg

JDM
01-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Without having a belt here to play with I can't say for sure, but it appears that the buckling system would be a huge PITA to use on something with a wide kydex belt attachment IE The Shaggy. Irish/Buzz, are there more pictures? I don't have a facebook.

JV_
01-07-2012, 05:13 PM
wide kydex belt attachment IE the shaggyI agree, it's the solid loop that really complicates things.

Shellback
01-07-2012, 05:14 PM
These are the only other 2 I found that I thought might help. I just fired off an email to Matt as well.

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/2844/volund2.jpg

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9691/volund3.jpg

Hopefully Lil will chime in as I know he's an AIWB guy too.

ToddG
01-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Again, BOM echoes my thoughts. My holster, knife sheath, and mag pouch all have fixed and fairly shallow loops perfect a Wilderness belt. This thing definitely sounds like a great belt but I'd like to hear how it works for something that doesn't have the wide flexible leather/rubber snap loops.

orionz06
01-07-2012, 05:38 PM
The pre-made kydex belt loop I purchased from a knife shop barely passes through the belt, but it works. What would have to happen is the fastening strap would need to likely pass over the loop and then hook in.

LittleLebowski
01-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Definitely, BOM.

Smash
01-07-2012, 06:28 PM
If anyone grabs one of these in Med and doesnt like it. I'll trade a never used Wilderness Instructors Belt Easy-Fit Sz Large 1.5" Polymer lined. I'd like to try some new equipment and dont use the wilderness due to my love of my Ares.

JDM
01-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Definitely, BOM.

Great! Thanks!!

Serpico1985
01-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Just to make sure I understand how the belt works......

You select one of the pals slots to get you close and then snug it down with the free running strap. Does the strap itself velcro back down or just hang free?

Buzz Fledderjohn
01-09-2012, 12:34 AM
It's more of a "loose" PALS slot and the 1" tail does not hang free, hook&loop holds the tail down. Early generations used typical PALS 1" and while easier to pass through shallow kydex belt loops, it was a bear to both engage and remove the G-Hook from. Trade offs. Multiple "slots" were used for both sizing and redundancy.

Super J
01-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Great review. It would be great if someone could put together a quick video showing how it all comes together.

LittleLebowski
01-10-2012, 03:20 PM
I paid for mine Saturday morning. It was shipped that day after a two day turn around time after ordering.

Shellback
01-10-2012, 04:12 PM
I paid for mine Saturday morning. It was shipped that day after a two day turn around time after ordering.

Mine's being hand delivered next week. :) SHOT 2012 is around the corner.

orionz06
01-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Great review. It would be great if someone could put together a quick video showing how it all comes together.

I tried but all I have is an iPhone and 2 hands... A Contour would really move this process along.

jmjames
01-10-2012, 06:22 PM

If mine comes in before anyone else posts a video, I'll try to, I have a small tripod for my Flip.

J.Ja

Buzz Fledderjohn
01-10-2012, 08:58 PM
A video would be excellent. I have a buddy with a decent set up and we are planning to shoot an info/how-to video eventually for the new website...(launching any day now, promise....!)
The plan is to have an in-stock inventory where if you can add the item to your cart online, then it's in stock and will ship shortly after payment.
The black webbing I needed landed this afternoon. I should be able to get all orders currently in the pipe built and shipped before SHOT.

t1tan
01-10-2012, 09:00 PM
The black webbing I needed landed this afternoon and I'm building now fill current orders. I should be able to get all orders currently in the pipe built and shipped before SHOT.

w00t

Looking forward to the site

VolGrad
01-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Invoice rec'd over night. Paid this morning. Now .... that's fast turnaround Matt. Thanks so much. I can't wait to try it out.

Have fun at SHOT.

LittleLebowski
01-11-2012, 09:14 AM
Out for delivery today.

JV_
01-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Out for delivery today.

Mine too.

TheLaw
01-11-2012, 09:43 AM
I got and paid my invoice as well. AS long as mine makes it here before Volgrad's, I'm good. :p

jmjames
01-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Invoice rec'd over night. Paid this morning. Now .... that's fast turnaround Matt. Thanks so much. I can't wait to try it out.

Invoice received last night, paid a few minutes later, shipped this morning. Great job on the customer service here, thanks!

J.Ja

VolGrad
01-11-2012, 10:11 AM
I got and paid my invoice as well. AS long as mine makes it here before Volgrad's, I'm good. :p

Never.

LittleLebowski
01-11-2012, 10:14 AM
What is important is that I get mine before JV.

JV_
01-11-2012, 10:29 AM
What is important is that I get mine before JV.You might receive it before me, but I'll be actually using mine at the range - tonight....

LittleLebowski
01-11-2012, 11:21 AM
You might receive it before me, but I'll be actually using mine at the range - tonight....

What time?

JV_
01-11-2012, 11:41 AM
What time?

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2725-1-11-and-or-1-12-at-NRA-Range&p=45353#post45353

CCK
01-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Received mine today. Love it so far. Pants stay up, holster fits.

Chris

Buzz Fledderjohn
01-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Website just went live. Check it out and find any typos I might have missed....

www.volundgearworks.com

dickmadison
01-12-2012, 01:11 AM
The belt looks really low profile compared to my huge belt buckled wilderness 5 stitch. Question though...do you have a recommendation whether to go 1.5inch or 1.75 inch? It seems from the website they are made from different materials. I'm trying to figure out what the pros and cons are of each. I wear AIWB and my holster uses rubber pull the do straps that I can easily change from 1.75 to 1.5 so that is really not an issue. Thanks!

JV_
01-12-2012, 06:46 AM
The belt looks really low profile compared to my huge belt buckled wilderness 5 stitch.

Yes, the buckle portion is lower profile, but the Volund belt is thicker than a 5-Stitch where it doubles up.

LittleLebowski
01-12-2012, 11:38 AM
I am still dialing it in but it's very fast and easy to unbuckle, rebuckle, and tighten down. I just put in an order for a second one. Will try to do a proper review here and on my blog tonight. Right now, I'm honestly thinking "he's undercharging for these compared to his competitors."

JRL
01-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Right now, I'm honestly thinking "he's undercharging for these compared to his competitors."

Well don't tell him that until we all get a couple :P

jmjames
01-12-2012, 12:03 PM
It's a neat belt, and I'll likely order one soon. While he very well might be operating with lower margins than his competitors, I suspect that the bulk of the price difference is due to his design not using a large and probably expensive buckle/fastener.

That's exactly what his site says (re: the buckle and cost).

J.Ja

Buzz Fledderjohn
01-12-2012, 08:35 PM
It's a neat belt, and I'll likely order one soon. While he very well might be operating with lower margins than his competitors, I suspect that the bulk of the price difference is due to his design not using a large and probably expensive buckle/fastener.

DING! My background includes 15 years in retail so I have a decent grasp of margins/volume/profit/market place/etc. Granted, the Cobra buckles are cool but are way overkill for a pants belt. Those buckles are designed for safety use where life depends on them. Cobras are cool and very durable but kinda costly. Not a big deal for many obviously as there are more than one belt makers selling a lot of belts using them, all viable and proven platforms.

t1tan
01-13-2012, 01:03 AM
I am still dialing it in but it's very fast and easy to unbuckle, rebuckle, and tighten down. I just put in an order for a second one. Will try to do a proper review here and on my blog tonight. Right now, I'm honestly thinking "he's undercharging for these compared to his competitors."

Look forward to the review.

I'm one of the ones that requested black so I'm still waiting to hear back.

orionz06
01-13-2012, 01:04 AM
DING! My background includes 15 years in retail so I have a decent grasp of margins/volume/profit/market place/etc. Granted, the Cobra buckles are cool but are way overkill for a pants belt. Those buckles are designed for safety use where life depends on them. Cobras are cool and very durable but kinda costly. Not a big deal for many obviously as there are more than one belt makers selling a lot of belts using them, all viable and proven platforms.

I often wonder how people put up with cobra buckles and who really likes them or is trying to have the cool new thing.

orionz06
01-13-2012, 01:35 AM
I would be interested in seeing what you thought of a different belt, like the Atlas. They just didn't do it for me. Cobra buckle on my Brokos belt is perfect though, I think the application fits.

RoyGBiv
01-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Website just went live. Check it out and find any typos I might have missed....

www.volundgearworks.com
Nice looking belt....!
The idea of a belt that is "studier than web but not as inflexible as leather" is very appealing..

Small suggestion... On this page...
http://www.volundgearworks.com/belts/

Can you please add one photo that shows every color option side by side, labeled with the name of the color?
I've seen every color "coyote" from gray to tan to brown to black.... And is "Foliage" a particular camo pattern?

Sorry if I missed it... I did look for it..

Or a similar photo in this thread maybe...

It would also be interesting to see a photo of the belts construction...
but maybe that's not something you want to show in detail for IP reasons.. Understandable.

Thanks.!

VolGrad
01-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Wearing mine now. Like so far. Easy to adjust.

TheLaw
01-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Wearing mine now. Like so far. Easy to adjust.

Where's the picture of you wearing it? :p

jmjames
01-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Mine just arrived, can't wait 'till I'm wearing pants to try it on. Yes, I have clothes on, I just spend most of my day in sweatpants or shorts...

J.Ja

Buzz Fledderjohn
01-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Mine just arrived, can't wait 'till I'm wearing pants to try it on. Yes, I have clothes on, I just spend most of my day in sweatpants or shorts...

J.Ja

once the retail packaging is complete there will be care & feeding instructions on the back side, starting with:
#1. Confirm you are wearing pants.

Buzz Fledderjohn
01-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Can you please add one photo that shows every color option side by side, labeled with the name of the color?
I've seen every color "coyote" from gray to tan to brown to black.... And is "Foliage" a particular camo pattern?

That is in the works. One of the goals at SHOT is to normalize my supply of webbing to accomplish just what you brought up, color shading with Coyote has been a gripe for a while....
There will be a lot more pictures added to the site, especially once the retail portal is active. It will be a living, breathing animal for a while with updates and additions added regularly. Really wanted it up and running before SHOT first and foremost.
Foliage is actually a lighter shade of green, almost gray. Where OD is darker, more olive...

orionz06
01-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Mine works without pants.

ToddG
01-13-2012, 04:41 PM

... asked RoyGBiv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf33ueRXMzQ). Now that's funny.

once the retail packaging is complete there will be care & feeding instructions on the back side, starting with:
#1. Confirm you are wearing pants.

I see you're also opposed to OPEN carry, then. I HAVE RIGHTS!

Argus
01-13-2012, 05:53 PM
... asked RoyGBiv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf33ueRXMzQ). Now that's funny.

I see you're also opposed to OPEN carry, then. I HAVE RIGHTS!

We should keep this thread on topic. Feel free to start a new Pantsless Carry thread if you would like.

ETA: figures this thread would come up literally days after I ordered a Wilderness instructor's belt AND a Beltman leather belt. Dammit.

RoyGBiv
01-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Foliage is actually a lighter shade of green, almost gray.
Would not have guessed that... Might be what I want... I'll keep an eye out for some pics when you get time..

:D

jmjames
01-13-2012, 08:20 PM
ETA: figures this thread would come up literally days after I ordered a Wilderness instructor's belt AND a Beltman leather belt. Dammit.

I was actually about to do the same, I just wanted to check one more store in my area before putting in an order... thankfully, that store was closed when I was off, so I saw this thread. Mine arrived today, and my initial thoughts are quite positive. I have yet to put on pants today, though, to check it out. On a positive note, I have the prototype for a belt suitable for wearing with sweatpants, gym shorts, etc. in my mind now, and hopefully I'll get to turn it into a working model in the next few weeks.

J.Ja

Super J
01-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Don't forget to do a video when you get a moment. I'm curious to see how it all comes together.

Thanks

VolGrad
01-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Don't forget to do a video when you get a moment. I'm curious to see how it all comes together.

Thanks

It's much more simple than I expected. Slide the clip into a pals slot then adjust the Velcro tail on the other side. This is pretty much it. You should only require slight adjustments to the tail side after large meals. All you would do normally is clip onto the pals slot and go.

TheLaw
01-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Wore mine all day yesterday and it was great. Very comfortable, great support for the gear, etc.. Will be ordering another one soon. Got to see what different colors are available.

JM Campbell
01-15-2012, 01:42 PM
My belt is in the pipe. Ill get it shortly after shot show.

Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket

VolGrad
01-15-2012, 01:42 PM
FTR I didn't have any trouble threading the belt through kydex loops on my PSS gear. Eazy peazy.

I too will be ordering more of these belts in the future. I don't really have any immediate needs for additional belts right now though unless someone wants to buy/trade for some like new Wilderness belts. Just sayin'.

Shellback
01-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Met up with Matt tonight, great guy by the way, and can say I'm very happy with the Atlas belt. Absolutely zero issues threading the Shaggy and I don't see the loops presenting any issues with AIWB. At the absolute worst the belt can be worn offset to avoid any potential issues.

jmjames
01-15-2012, 11:49 PM
I put together a video showing how the buckle system works, for those who are interested, along with a brief review of it. As others have said, this is an impressive piece of equipment in terms of the construction, ease of use, and overall "meets my needs", and Matt's customer service is outstanding.

Here's the link to the video: https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10151154902230461

J.Ja

TheLaw
01-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks for taking the time to make the video. I couldn't be happier with mine and I will be ordering another belt or two in different color combos, so I can be stylish ( :D ) soon!

RoyGBiv
01-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Looks to me like you should be able to set it up once, then take it on/off by sucking in your gut (if you have one) and hooking/unhooking the clip.
Once it's set up, the velcro looks like it should only be for gear changes that require an adjustment to the final size of the belt.

No?

http://www.volundgearworks.com/i/gallery/belts/big/7208.jpg

orionz06
01-16-2012, 12:32 PM
It is not so much "setting" it, you honestly just put it on, pick a loop, hook it, and then cinch it down.

jmjames
01-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Looks to me like you should be able to set it up once, then take it on/off by sucking in your gut (if you have one) and hooking/unhooking the clip.
Once it's set up, the velcro looks like it should only be for gear changes that require an adjustment to the final size of the belt.

No?

You can do it that way for sure. I've tried it both ways (loosening the cinch a bit, and unhooking it) and they both work well. It's really easy to hook and re-tighten, and *for me* it's easier to loosen and unhook, but that's because I had it TIGHT. I think if I wear it looser then it won't be an issue. I just tend to cinch my belts pretty hard.

J.Ja

VolGrad
01-16-2012, 02:06 PM

No?

That's how I have been doing it for the past couple of days. I am really pleased with this belt. It WILL be replacing my Wilderness belts. The only slight "down" side is I ordered mine with Coyote over Black. I expected the Coyote would go all the way around the belt. It's just used for the tail & loops. The rest of the belt is all black. Not a big deal, just not exactly as I expected. I will be getting another of these in black soon enough though. I like it that much.

GJM
01-16-2012, 03:55 PM
That's how I have been doing it for the past couple of days. I am really pleased with this belt. It WILL be replacing my Wilderness belts. The only slight "down" side is I ordered mine with Coyote over Black. I expected the Coyote would go all the way around the belt. It's just used for the tail & loops. The rest of the belt is all black. Not a big deal, just not exactly as I expected. I will be getting another of these in black soon enough though. I like it that much.

Is a green belt the same way, with regard to the black?

I just ordered one in coyote a week or so ago, and am looking forward to it, because after 15+ years of daily wear of a Wilderness five stitch, in the last few months it has been digging into my back and causing pain.

JV_
01-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Is a green belt the same way, with regard to the black?The OD Green belt is all green.

VolGrad
01-16-2012, 05:41 PM
The OD Green belt is all green.

I specifically ordered this as a two-tone coyote over black. I assume all two-tone belts are made like mine. Matt will prob chime in when he sees this. He's at SHOT now.

Buzz Fledderjohn
01-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Correct. The 1" webbing does not wrap all the way around the belt. Original design is solid colors, no trim. A few folks have requested two tone belts, and the 1" webbing is only used for the attach/adjust system...

Shellback
01-17-2012, 12:36 AM
Wore mine all day today with the Shaggy and am very pleased with the belt. The only hiccup was not being able to thread a Raven OWB mag carrier today, the belt would not slide through the tight S between the loops and the body. I was in a hurry and didn't spend a lot of time on it so it could be due to several reasons... The belt is new and not broken in at all, I didn't spend enough time on it or simply that the belt will not work with this type of mag carrier.

The mag carrier aside I'm very happy with the belt and am glad to ditch the Wilderness boat anchor buckle.

GJM
01-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Received my belt in coyote today. (it is 100 per cent coyote). Wearing it now, and it seems supportive but easier on the back than my five stitch Wilderness belt. Put me down as another very satisfied customer.

RoyGBiv
01-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Received my belt in coyote today. (it is 100 per cent coyote). Wearing it now, and it seems supportive but easier on the back than my five stitch Wilderness belt. Put me down as another very satisfied customer.
Any chance I could talk you into posting a clear pic.?
I'm still wondering about exactly what color =coyote.

Gracias.

GJM
01-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Atlas in coyote with a Shaggy.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/Atlas.jpg

Super J
01-18-2012, 11:39 PM
The only hiccup was not being able to thread a Raven OWB mag carrier today, the belt would not slide through the tight S between the loops and the body. I was in a hurry and didn't spend a lot of time on it so it could be due to several reasons... The belt is new and not broken in at all, I didn't spend enough time on it or simply that the belt will not work with this type of mag carrier.

Any update? Were you able to get your raven mag carrier on the belt?

RoyGBiv
01-19-2012, 12:28 AM
TYVM GJM.
Much appreciated. :cool:

Shellback
01-19-2012, 12:37 AM
Any update? Were you able to get your raven mag carrier on the belt?

I'm actually out of town and have only been using my Shaggy with the Atlas belt, I do feel a little awkward not having my spare mag. I'll be back this weekend and give it another go. As it stands right now I'm very happy with the belt comfort wise, construction, less weight and ease of adjustment is great. I have no complaints and was posting it mostly as an observation and trying to give an honest assessment. If I can't use the Raven holster I'll be looking for a different type of carrier as I like the belt that much more than the Wilderness.

TheLaw
01-19-2012, 10:12 AM
I use a Personal Security Systems Holster with the shallow belt loops. It has the same "S" path to thread a belt through. On a leather belt, this keeps everything right where you put it so it's a bonus. On this ATLAS belt, it is difficult, but not impossible to get the initial belt section with the PALS threaded through the holster. I basically have to push a bit of the belt through the rear belt loop and then pull that section out the front, push through the rear, pull from the front. Repeat until the belt is threaded past the PALS.

VolGrad
01-19-2012, 11:01 AM
I use a Personal Security Systems Holster with the shallow belt loops. It has the same "S" path to thread a belt through. On a leather belt, this keeps everything right where you put it so it's a bonus. On this ATLAS belt, it is difficult, but not impossible to get the initial belt section with the PALS threaded through the holster. I basically have to push a bit of the belt through the rear belt loop and then pull that section out the front, push through the rear, pull from the front. Repeat until the belt is threaded past the PALS.

A different perspective on the same ....

I also use PSS holsters with the same loops. I don't see what TheLaw described as an issue at all. In fact I think it's great as the holster stays put on the belt.

I have already ordered 2 more Atlas belts and have sold off a couple of Wilderness belts. No turning back now.

GJM
01-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Rich from CCC just asked me for an exact measurement of the Atlas belt. I don't have calipers where I am, but eye balling it with a tape measurer, it looks like 3/16 over the widest part of the Atlas belt at the loops. Anyone able to measure their belt and give me a second opinion, so I don't pass the wrong info on to Rich?

jmjames
01-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Rich from CCC just asked me for an exact measurement of the Atlas belt. I don't have calipers where I am, but eye balling it with a tape measurer, it looks like 3/16 over the widest part of the Atlas belt at the loops. Anyone able to measure their belt and give me a second opinion, so I don't pass the wrong info on to Rich?

Hah! My purchase of electronic calipers a few months ago has finally been justified!

I'm reading at just under 6mm on the MOLLE/PALS side, and at 11.3mm on the thickest part of the buckle side, where the big keeper loop and Velcro is.

J.Ja

orionz06
01-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Metric?!?!?!?!

TheLaw
01-19-2012, 11:20 AM
A different perspective on the same ....

I also use PSS holsters with the same loops. I don't see what TheLaw described as an issue at all. In fact I think it's great as the holster stays put on the belt.

I have already ordered 2 more Atlas belts and have sold off a couple of Wilderness belts. No turning back now.

This holster I am using is one of his newest versions, that I just recently received from him about two months or so ago. Several of my older models from him have slightly wider gaps between the holster body and the outside of the belt loop. There is no issue sliding it through the older holsters.

jmjames
01-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Metric?!?!?!?!

I know... the calipers were giving me inches as decimals, and I didn't feel like converting decimals to fractions, because I probably would have gotten it wrong. :)

I'm the kind of guy... I've torn down engine blocks and can took endless amounts of calculus and write computer code all day... but ask me to assemble a four piece bookshelf from WalMart and it's likely to be done wrong...

J.Ja

GJM
01-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Hah! My purchase of electronic calipers a few months ago has finally been justified!

I'm reading at just under 6mm on the MOLLE/PALS side, and at 11.3mm on the thickest part of the buckle side, where the big keeper loop and Velcro is.

J.Ja

Thanks, will pass on to Rich, and hope he does metric!

RoyGBiv
01-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks, will pass on to Rich, and hope he does metric!

11.3mm = 0.44 inches = ~7/16 inch
6.0mm = 0.24 inches = ~1/4 inch

Shortcut: http://www.metric-conversions.org/length/millimeters-to-inches.htm

GJM
01-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks again. Wouldn't the correct thickness for Rich being the smaller measurement, since only one part of the belt is passing through the Shaggy or mag pouch loop?

LittleLebowski
01-19-2012, 12:00 PM
I simply cannot get mine cinched down tight enough. I'll probably end up trading it or selling it.

jmjames
01-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks again. Wouldn't the correct thickness for Rich being the smaller measurement, since only one part of the belt is passing through the Shaggy or mag pouch loop?

Yes, I just gave both just in case it came up. :)

J.Ja

orionz06
01-19-2012, 12:06 PM
I simply cannot get mine cinched down tight enough. I'll probably end up trading it or selling it.

Hold the belt with the left hand on the left side and push the tail towards the right side. It took some getting used to for me, a friend tried it and had zero issues at all.

LittleLebowski
01-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Hold the belt with the left hand on the left side and push the tail towards the right side. It took some getting used to for me, a friend tried it and had zero issues at all.

Been doing that and using the last loop; no bueno. That is with the opposite orientation because two loops of the belt do not fit in my Shaggy's loop.

orionz06
01-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Is it a length issue ?

LittleLebowski
01-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Is it a length issue ?

Yup. I've a 34-35" waist. I usually get 36" sized pants for the AIWB holster.

Ga Shooter
01-19-2012, 12:11 PM

I might be interested if you don't want yours. I ahve been reading this thread and havejust about been convinved to give this a try but I swore I was not going to buy any more gear until spring time. Damn all you people!:D

LittleLebowski
01-19-2012, 12:12 PM
I'll post a WTT thread soon.

orionz06
01-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Yup. I've a 34-35" waist. I usually get 36" sized pants for the AIWB holster.

Ahh. I had to switch hands to tighten the thing as tail goes the other way.

seabiscuit
01-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Metric?!?!?!?!

Just google "11.3 mm in inches."

Shellback
01-19-2012, 02:38 PM

I had a similar problem. Now I grab left end and push the right end through the loop while holding both ends with my left hand and then I snug down small strap with my right. Did that sound complicated? Either way I really like the belt and although I wear a 36" waistband I might have to cut the first loop off of the belt to get it a lil bit snugger or possibly buy a medium.

LittleLebowski
01-19-2012, 02:45 PM
I had a similar problem. Now I grab left end and push the right end through the loop while holding both ends with my left hand and then I snug down small strap with my right. Did that sound complicated? Either way I really like the belt and although I wear a 36" waistband I might have to cut the first loop off of the belt to get it a lil bit snugger or possibly buy a medium.

Yeah, I've been trying that..... Mine is up for sale.

Buzz Fledderjohn
01-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Sizing is always going to be an issue, never 100% for everyone, like shoe/pant sizes etc...
Any belts that are in like new condition I have no problem swapping for a different size, kinda comes with the territory and is expected...
~Matt

Buzz Fledderjohn
01-20-2012, 06:15 PM
I might have to cut the first loop off of the belt to get it a lil bit snugger or possibly buy a medium.

Regarding cutting the loop off....Is this so it will jive with the holster? If it just needs to get tighter the loop sections will pass through the big loop when overlapping the belt. It may be snug when the belt is new but the web loop will stretch a bit to accommodate as the belt gets used. Make sense?
~Matt

Shellback
01-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Regarding cutting the loop off....Is this so it will jive with the holster? If it just needs to get tighter the loop sections will pass through the big loop when overlapping the belt. It may be snug when the belt is new but the web loop will stretch a bit to accommodate as the belt gets used. Make sense?
~Matt

Absolutely, thanks. Enjoyed meeting you and hope you had a good time at SHOT.

Shellback
01-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Good news, the Atlas is airport metal detector safe.

JV_
01-24-2012, 07:23 PM

Metal or not, I've always had to remove mine for the tsa.

Shellback
01-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Metal or not, I've always had to remove mine for the tsa.

Why? I don't remove my watch or wedding ring either. I don't go through the X-ray cancer scanner so I'm not sure if it's a requirement for that or not.

JV_
01-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Why?Who knows. But over the past 5 years I've flown about 30 times and I've never been able to keep my belt on.

Buzz Fledderjohn
01-25-2012, 12:40 AM
I made it though with mine on as well on my way home from SHOT. I also refuse to get bombarded with radiation so usually get the pat-down and there was no issue wearing my belt, didn't set off the metal detector either. More metal in my watch anyway and they never make me remove that so it's not surprising....
~Matt

RoyGBiv
01-25-2012, 09:38 AM
Who knows. But over the past 5 years I've flown about 30 times and I've never been able to keep my belt on.
Same for me... although more frequent flying.. My leather belt with metal buckle never sets off a regular airport metal detector, but if I'm wearing a tucked in shirt I've always been asked to take the belt off and x-ray it. Even wearing a simple 5.11 tactical nylon belt, I've been asked to take it off and run it through x-ray (nearly) every time it's spotted.

I made it though with mine on as well on my way home from SHOT. I also refuse to get bombarded with radiation so usually get the pat-down and there was no issue wearing my belt, didn't set off the metal detector either. More metal in my watch anyway and they never make me remove that so it's not surprising....
~Matt
I've also opted for the pat down whenever I have the time. Sometimes they ask me to take my belt off and the agent will hand it over to be x-rayed. Sometimes they will ask me to uncinch it to do the waistband check and let me keep it on.

Bottom line, I just take it off and run it through. Saves a lot of eye rolling that will eventually get me into trouble unnecessarily. :D

Shellback
01-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Same for me... although more frequent flying.. My leather belt with metal buckle never sets off a regular airport metal detector, but if I'm wearing a tucked in shirt I've always been asked to take the belt off and x-ray it.

My secret, don't wear a tucked in shirt. ;)

RoyGBiv
01-25-2012, 10:11 AM
My secret, don't wear a tucked in shirt. ;)

My sometimes-unavoidable tie looks silly wearing a Hawaiian shirt or untucked t-shirt. :o

TheLaw
01-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Atlanta has gotten really bad about trying to force you through the new radiation machines. I specifically picked a line last time I flew a few weeks ago that had the old style scanners and as I approached the machine, I was directed to go through the new style machine a lane over. They were directing most people through that line only allowing about 1 in 10 through the standard screener. Of course this was causing backups and delay but hey, they don't have a flight to catch so he cares right!

I've just gotten in the habit of taking all that stuff off and not even trying. I forgot to take my watch off this last time, and even though I had a short sleeve shirt on and you could clearly see my watch on my wrist, I was pulled aside, made to wait and finally a guy walked over, touched my watch with his finger and told me to go on my way. :mad:

orionz06
02-10-2012, 06:39 PM
I don't see why not. It is plenty stiff to keep everything up on your belt and it does not eat away at me like other belts tend to.

GJM
02-10-2012, 08:01 PM
I have been wearing my Atlas belt daily since getting it a month or so ago. Ran into a little issue today. When Rich at Custom Carry Concepts adjusted the loop on his mag pouch so that it wouldn't slide too much on the Atlas belt, it would not get over the thicker part of the belt when removing it.

CR78
02-12-2012, 09:52 AM
I sent Matt at Volund an inquiry about a belt last Monday, and placed an order on Tuesday. I was hoping to get a color-matched buckle for a coyote belt, and he pulled one off of a prototype for me. The belt was delivered Saturday, and my initial impression is that the fit and finish are solid. The belt is light compared to my prior cc belt which used a cobra buckle, and the low profile design is exceptionally helpful for a skinny guy like me. Great service at a great price...I definitely give Volund a thumbs-up.

RoyGBiv
02-12-2012, 12:24 PM
I sent Matt at Volund an inquiry about a belt last Monday, and placed an order on Tuesday. I was hoping to get a color-matched buckle for a coyote belt, and he pulled one off of a prototype for me. The belt was delivered Saturday, and my initial impression is that the fit and finish are solid. The belt is light compared to my prior cc belt which used a cobra buckle, and the low profile design is exceptionally helpful for a skinny guy like me. Great service at a great price...I definitely give Volund a thumbs-up.

Any chance you would post a photo... ??
I'm still not 100% on what color = Coyote.

Thanks.!

CR78
02-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Any chance you would post a photo... ??
I'm still not 100% on what color = Coyote.

Thanks.!

Sorry for my poor photography. The true color falls between the direct sunlight and indoor lighting pics.

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh344/CR78/2012-02-12_12-43-39_499.jpg

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh344/CR78/2012-02-12_12-41-39_968.jpg

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh344/CR78/2012-02-12_12-40-24_156.jpg

RoyGBiv
02-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks!!

Fly320s
02-12-2012, 09:07 PM
For Buzz/Volund,

Is there a reason for the PALS webbing as the "hitch" point? Do you have intentions of making other gear that will connect there?

Since some people are having size and tightness issues, could you just sew the PALS at half the spacing, which would give more hitch points?

Just curious.

bdcheung
02-12-2012, 09:22 PM
You really don't need more hitch points, as you can snug down the tail from any hitch point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fly320s
02-13-2012, 09:48 AM
True, but with more hitch points, the tail could be shorter.

TheLaw
02-13-2012, 02:37 PM
True, but with more hitch points, the tail could be shorter.
Unless the belt was ordered too large, using the last hitch point, the tail barely reaches the hook and loop. I believe there are 5 points on my belt and I use the 4th, (2nd from the right) with OWB holster and the 3rd (middle) for IWB.

Buzz Fledderjohn
02-13-2012, 10:54 PM
You'd probably be surprised at how many generations the sizing/spacing went through before the belt even got close to it's final form. First there was no slack in the loops and they laid flat like normal PALS but that made inserting and especially removing the G-Hook a PITA. With slack added I started playing with the spacing between tack lines and found that there really is a "sweet spot" in that spacing that makes the buckle much easier to engage and remove. With the tacks too close together the angle you need to tilt the buckle makes it hard to remove without fighting.
Also, since I was the body the belt was designed around, I messed with different tail lengths as well and found the length currently used works best when I need to drop trowel but don't want the belt to open up and possibly allow my holster to slip off or at minimum clunk onto the floor. I can release all the slack in the tail and run the hook end all the way to the buckle but still leave the g-hook engaged.

~Matt

Fly320s
02-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Buzz,

Thanks for the response.

EVP
02-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Does anyone have any feedback after using one of these belts for a little while? Anyone using one with a shaggy and some CCC BMCs, if so how well does the belt feed through the loops?

I was thinking of picking up a wilderness frequent flyer belt but might go with one of these.

GJM
02-21-2012, 07:58 PM
I EDC this belt with a Shaggy, and sometimes a BMC, but mostly a Safariland universal pouch. Love the set-up. The only issue is that when Rich makes the BCM loop sized to get over the thicker part of the belt, it is looser than I would like at the 9 o'clock position. For that reason I prefer the Safariland mag pouch as while it is snug to get on the belt, it then stays in place. Secondary benefit is it holds everything from a 1911 to G20 mag.

TheLaw
02-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Does anyone have any feedback after using one of these belts for a little while? Anyone using one with a shaggy and some CCC BMCs, if so how well does the belt feed through the loops?

I was thinking of picking up a wilderness frequent flyer belt but might go with one of these.

I've had one of the two I own on every day since I bought them. I have worn them with a few different holsters, all made by the same manufacturer, and have also worn them several times with no holster. I do not own a shaggy. I really like this belt and have recommended it to other people. I plan to buy a few of these belts this year for gifts as well. I posted earlier in this thread that I had issues threading it through one of my holsters. I only have that issue with one holster and it is because of that holster's kydex belt loops weren't made to spec like the other belt loops from the same manufacturer. I have no complaints at all with the belts.

EVP
02-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks GJM and TheLaw

Looks I will pick one of these up and give it go.

mrozowjj
03-01-2012, 12:50 PM
I just sat here and read this whole thread. I might have to get one of these. Anyone use one of these belts for IDPA? I'm wondering if they would get all in a tizzy about me using it or not.

orionz06
03-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Don't see any issues with the IDPA. It does not violate any of their rules.

Andy in NH
03-13-2012, 05:31 PM
I received mine the other day. So far, so good!

Matt was nice enough to stitch the G-Hook upside down to facilitate me being a lefty.

I tuck the tail into my pants as the position of my Clinch Pick and a flashlight holder prevents it from sticking to the hook-and-loop material.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee212/adchesney/P3132668.jpg

(there is an Ares Gear Ranger Belt on ebay now if anyone is interested)

orionz06
03-13-2012, 05:43 PM
I EDC this belt with a Shaggy, and sometimes a BMC, but mostly a Safariland universal pouch. Love the set-up. The only issue is that when Rich makes the BCM loop sized to get over the thicker part of the belt, it is looser than I would like at the 9 o'clock position. For that reason I prefer the Safariland mag pouch as while it is snug to get on the belt, it then stays in place. Secondary benefit is it holds everything from a 1911 to G20 mag.

FWIW the BMC I EDC has no issues with my 1.5" Atlas belt.

bdcheung
03-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Ditto that. I just got two BMC's and both go onto the Atlas belt just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoyGBiv
03-25-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm still waiting for Buzz to put a clear list of colors with photos on his web site... :confused:

Can anyone confirm I've got the colors/names straight?

Top photo
Top belt is FOLIAGE?
Other belt is COYOTE (with foliage PALS)?

Bottom photo is OLIVE?

Thanks.!

http://www.volundgearworks.com/i/gallery/belts/big/7007.jpg

http://www.volundgearworks.com/i/gallery/belts/big/7208.jpg

Buzz Fledderjohn
03-25-2012, 05:26 PM
All three of those belts pictured above are 100% "coyote"......fun, huh? The two in the top picture is showing the 1.5" vs 1.75" options. The coyote type 13 webbing (1.75") is a lighter shade of brown and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The bottom picture is simply the sun shining hard.

The website is still in basic form for two reasons:

1. flushing out the coming web store (where there will be good pictures, worry not....)

2. getting the sources for the mil-spec webbing dialed in, so many differences in shades lately.

Example: the older 1" coyote webbing I was getting had a gold hue to it and contrasted with the 1.5" coyote webbing; whereas my new source is now the brown hue I was after that also matches the 1.5" webbing. Once the sources are solid and the bugs with some of the shades are flushed out then better pics will be added.

Anyone planning to wear the belt in a fashion show, send me pics from the runway! ;)

~Matt

RoyGBiv
03-25-2012, 06:10 PM
All three of those belts pictured above are 100% "coyote"......fun, huh?
Yikes.!

SeriousStudent
03-25-2012, 06:57 PM
I received my Atlas belt from Matt a week ago. I was very pleased with the communication, and the speed of delivery. It was about a week for him to make the belt, and he shipped it the day I paid him for it. So less than 10 days from the time I sent a query, until I had it in my grubby little paws. I have been wearing it every day for over a week now.

The stitching is precise and well done. The attention to detail is very good. There's nothing sloppy about this belt.

I particularly like two things about it. One is the range of adjustment. I can go from every day wear with no weapons, to carrying a pistol and mag, both IWB. That is quite useful. I previous had to use two different Wilderness Instructor belts to do that.

The other positive, is the metal hook closure. It does not advertise one is toting a sidearm, the way a rigger's belt or belt with a Cobra buckle does. It's just a little more low profile. I work in a non permissive environment. Anything that lowers suspicions is welcome.

I'll be ordering another in brown. This is good stuff, Matt.

Andy in NH
03-25-2012, 07:55 PM
After wearing this belt for another couple of weeks, the "tuck the tail" method isn't performing well.

I'm not sure if it is the result of the belt breaking in or something else, but the buckle ends up loosening up from time to time, requiring me to re-tighten it several times a day.

So now I route the tail up and behind the clinch pick - like I should have done in the first place. No more loosening throughout the day!

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee212/adchesney/VolundbeltwithknifeG26.jpg

JM Campbell
03-25-2012, 08:37 PM
IMO If you rotate the belt closure to your 10/11 or further (or opposite if your inclined) it will help the load out not being on top of the belt closure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Andy in NH
03-26-2012, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try!

JM Campbell
03-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Just passing on the knowledge I've gained from others here ;)

Sarah
03-28-2012, 10:39 PM
I just got my belts the other day and I'm head over heels in love with these belts! Talk about an awesome option for ladies!
They are the best belts ever, especially for me due to the fact that I'm about 5'5 and 100 lbs so the lightness and slim design are such a blessing in comparison to some of the terribly heavy tactical belts that I've worn that end up being like an anchor weight around my waist.

Also they are strong/durable enough to hold my extra mag case with a loaded magazine, my Raven's concealment holster, my heavy HK45c with a Surefire X300 on it and withstand me doing tons of speed drills holstering and unhosltering without loosening or dropping.

Thank you so much for making such awesome belts!!!

GJM
03-28-2012, 11:01 PM
How did you get a X300 to work on your HK45C?

RoyGBiv
03-28-2012, 11:37 PM
I'm about 5'5 and 100 lbs ........ extra mag case with a loaded magazine, my Raven's concealment holster, my heavy HK45c with a Surefire X300
...... concealed on a 5'5" x 100 frame?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1c/Obama_bowing_in_Tokyo.jpg/220px-Obama_bowing_in_Tokyo.jpg

orionz06
03-28-2012, 11:43 PM
I like to think I have helped people battle through concealment issues but damn... That would be a challenge.

Sarah
03-28-2012, 11:46 PM
How did you get a X300 to work on your HK45C?

it will slide on and stay on without modifications it just wont lock fully back BUT you can do some modifications to the X300 to get a very secure fit... I have an HK 45 USP and an HK45c as my EDC and wanted to put the light the compact.... after asking a few gunsmiths we got it accomplished.....

(mod the existing locking bar and the back of the switch and the rear toggle switch you have to pop off the pinned block, and for the the "P" locking piece you back the locking bar take a spare,
lock ges into the rail was milled off--anther spec rail was made and pinned and epoxied on) this will make it lock

can be a pain to go through but if you want to do it you can....
but let's not highjack this thread...

GJM
03-29-2012, 12:46 AM
but let's not highjack this thread...

I have worn my coyote Atlas belt every day since getting it a few months back, and my Wilderness belts now sit unused. I even have a second Atlas belt I bought from JV, in green, that I wear on special occasions.

BaiHu
04-05-2012, 01:23 PM
I just got mine today and my initial impression is mixed.
Nice stiffness.
High quality design, fit, finish, etc.
Built like a TANK-I think I'd be comfortable being suspended from a sky scraper with this belt.

The difficulty I have is that this buckle is somewhat cumbersome on my small frame. I've heard that the hook method isn't as infinitesimally adjustable and not as secure.

This thing is secure, but a bit bulky.

Here are some pictures. If you think I should swap it for the c-hook/clamp closure, feel free to call me out. I'd rather be comfortable.

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx38/djdemarco/20120405_141147.jpg

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx38/djdemarco/20120405_141137.jpg

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx38/djdemarco/20120405_141119.jpg

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx38/djdemarco/20120405_141106.jpg

ETA: I'll try to do some draw strokes with this belt tonight and give an update if I notice a big difference from my normal leather belt.

bdcheung
04-05-2012, 01:24 PM
For AIWB, I've found that buckes at the 2:30 or 9:30 position work better.

jmjames
04-05-2012, 01:44 PM
I would definitely swap the buckle, that thing looks huge. Check my video review to see how much smaller the hook is.

J.Ja

BaiHu
04-05-2012, 02:07 PM
I know how small the hook is, but I thought this would be more secure and it is, but at what cost? I will shift the buckle over and shoot tomorrow before I decide.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

orionz06
04-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Having used both belts and the G-hook almost exclusively since November I have never felt the G-hook to not be secure.

SmokeJumper
04-05-2012, 03:12 PM
I just got mine today and my initial impression is mixed.
Nice stiffness.
High quality design, fit, finish, etc.
Built like a TANK-I think I'd be comfortable being suspended from a sky scraper with this belt.

The difficulty I have is that this buckle is somewhat cumbersome on my small frame. I've heard that the hook method isn't as infinitesimally adjustable and not as secure.

This thing is secure, but a bit bulky.

Here are some pictures. If you think I should swap it for the c-hook/clamp closure, feel free to call me out. I'd rather be comfortable.

ETA: I'll try to do some draw strokes with this belt tonight and give an update if I notice a big difference from my normal leather belt.

That belt is totally different than the hook belts I've seen from Volund, he's making cobra buckle belts as well? Is it a two layer belt like the Ares Gear?

jmjames
04-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Having used both belts and the G-hook almost exclusively since November I have never felt the G-hook to not be secure.

I concur. I'm carrying a P30, spare mag, cell phone, and Bluetooth headset onboard mine, and dealing with 2 kids, and the hook has never felt even close to insecure. In fact, I often find myself loosening the Velcro so I can get it off, if I had it adjusted tightly.

J.Ja

Shellback
04-05-2012, 03:48 PM
That belt is totally different than the hook belts I've seen from Volund, he's making cobra buckle belts as well? Is it a two layer belt like the Ares Gear?

It's the same belt as the original and just uses a Cobra connection rather than the G hook. I prefer the Cobra fastener to the G hook for everyday use.

Buzz Fledderjohn
04-05-2012, 06:42 PM
I was asked by a local dealer to make an Atlas using a Cobra buckle about a year ago and have made a few for customers who requested the design. It's still up in the air if it will make it into the mix as I'm not as big a fan of that buckle as a lot of folks are, and the extra 1" tail can get annoying while donning the belt and related gear, personal preference. It's basically my spin on what's already out there, using the Atlas body as the platform rather than two layers of scuba webbing like the Jones EDC or the Ares. The buckle is attached to the end of the belt body rather than stacked over top and set back a tad, so when you overlap the belt, there is less stacked up at the buckle.....does that make sense?

To me it's gucci and the belt would perform the same with a $1 fastex buckle rather than the $25-30 Cobra.

~Matt

NickA
04-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Ordered mine earlier this week, and Matt got it out that day. Now USPS shows it as "sorting completed", which I'm guessing means it will deliver today or tomorrow. Unfortunately, I'm leaving town midafternoon :( Come on, mail guy!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Buzz Fledderjohn
04-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Yeah the USPS tracking number is nothing like a UPS or FedEx system, it basically just tells you it's in the system, nothing else. It's useful to find AWOL packages.
I'm running less than a week lead time currently and during any lulls in the action I'm building common colors and sizes to keep on hand. Shipping same day is still less than a week....:cool:
Under promise, over deliver. 15 years in retail still lingers in me.....mostly in the form of disdain for the general public and the holidays...ha!

~Matt

NickA
04-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Yeah the USPS tracking number is nothing like a UPS or FedEx system, it basically just tells you it's in the system, nothing else. It's useful to find AWOL packages.
I'm running less than a week lead time currently and during any lulls in the action I'm building common colors and sizes to keep on hand. Shipping same day is still less than a week....:cool:
Under promise, over deliver. 15 years in retail still lingers in me.....mostly in the form of disdain for the general public and the holidays...ha!

~Matt

So I get home, pack up the family, and head around the corner to pick up a prescription. While we're waiting I check the tracking and it shows "out for delivery. " I mention it to my wife and she says "Oh I saw the mail guy while we were packing the car. " So, back around to the mail box and it's there.
Still dialing in the buckle position and figuring out the tightening, but so far I'm loving it. Weight reduction over the Instructor belt is fantastic.
Thanks for the quick delivery, and your size recommendation was dead on.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

RoyGBiv
04-09-2012, 09:38 AM
I received mine over the weekend also... Not only is it well made and sharp looking, but the weight reduction vs leather or vs the Cobra buckle is VERY noticeable.

I've been struggling with having to cinch up my heavier belts a bit too tight when wearing shorts. Something about this one (weight and stiffness probably) make it "just work" with shorts.

Highly recommended ... and mine shipped in less than 48 hours as well.

Thanks Buzz.!!

darthhamtaro
09-13-2012, 11:09 AM
just ordered mine two days ago getting a custom size made and he was more then willing to make it for me with no difference in cost.
i cant wait for the mail man to bring it so i can say good by to my wilderness ranger belt and its stupid noisy rattling buckle

Esquire
11-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Risking sounding like a complete idiot, but how on earth do you guys get this belt tight enough? I ordered one but just can't seem to cinch it down, i put it on with my gear, hook the g-hook in one of the loops but no matter what angle I pull I just can't get the adjustment to cinch down easily let alone tight enough. Whats the trick?

orionz06
11-06-2012, 02:31 PM
I found that I needed to use my right hand to "push" the tail end away. Prior to figuring that out I was pissed that wasted money.

pr1042
11-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Prior to figuring that out I was pissed that wasted money.

I HATED mine at first and even put it up for sale on a few local forums. Once I figured it out, it's now my go to belt.......

Noticed that the design is now being ripped off by another belt maker, guess that means Volund is doing something right

Up1911Fan
11-06-2012, 10:29 PM
One of VolGrad's is on it's way to me. Looking forward to trying this out. I really like the stiffness of my Ares Ranger Belt, not to much the Cobra Buckle. Haven't found a good spot for the buckle on my Wilderness that works for me with AIWB, the buckle tends to dig into my hip bone ( either side) and becomes painfull after a few hours.

jmjames
11-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Risking sounding like a complete idiot, but how on earth do you guys get this belt tight enough? I ordered one but just can't seem to cinch it down, i put it on with my gear, hook the g-hook in one of the loops but no matter what angle I pull I just can't get the adjustment to cinch down easily let alone tight enough. Whats the trick?

I push them together to get it "close enough", hook it, then cinch it down. When I cinch it, I grab the tail of the hook-belt, hold it at about a 45 degree angle away from the hook, and tug. That angle seems to do a good job at letting the friction on the hook off enough for it to slide, while still allowing enough sideways force to cinch it. Basically, same way you tighten a lap belt on an airplane or a car. Sometimes some back and forth while pulling helps too.

J.Ja

VolGrad
11-07-2012, 09:06 AM
The Atlas belts do require a bit of thinking to figure out at first but work great. I love them. The only reason I sold the one earlier this week is I never wore the coyote color. NO sense in it collecting dust.

JMS
11-07-2012, 10:24 AM
One of VolGrad's is on it's way to me.

Only because you beat me to it by a couple of hours...!

I've had a black one very nearly since they were released, and it's become my go-to for your reasons: no more over-developed buckle...which also helps with wearing it under a warbelt from time to time. The 4 adjustment points on the Volund allow you to not only adjust raw fit to your waist, but how much doubled-up belt thickness you end up with, which can also create a hot-spot.

Good pull, you're gonna like that thing.

Kyle Reese
11-07-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm down for one. I need a nice belt for funerals and weddings anyways.

LittleLebowski
11-07-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm down for one. I need a nice belt for funerals and weddings anyways.

http://img0.etsystatic.com/006/0/5848645/il_fullxfull.360681708_8nu2.jpg

orionz06
11-07-2012, 11:55 AM
http://img0.etsystatic.com/006/0/5848645/il_fullxfull.360681708_8nu2.jpg

I need one to go with my Tanner Goods leather belt.

Buzz Fledderjohn
11-08-2012, 12:12 PM
I get the "how do I tighten this thing?" question about once a month.....probably should make a video using a gal to model. Once explained folks seem to figure out the trick b/c I've yet to receive a follow up email still noting trouble.

Anyway, that little bit of PITA is the tradeoff for such a low profile buckle, so far nothing I've looked into compares. It's even slightly more of an issue for some folks now that the g-hook has a "wave" option, which I use now for the black and tan buckles as it grips the webbing better to help prevent slipping if the tail isn't secured to the body of the belt....tradeoff being a little more friction on the webbing can make tightening the tail a tad more work.

~Matt

butler coach
11-08-2012, 12:23 PM
just ordered mine 5 seconds ago so i hope it is here before i get home for work I suck at waiting!

orionz06
11-08-2012, 12:32 PM
just ordered mine 5 seconds ago so i hope it is here before i get home for work I suck at waiting!

Now you can AIWB your PPS in the latest fashion.

butler coach
11-08-2012, 12:43 PM
i figure pps at 2 o-clock, glock at 3 o-clock, 1911 at 5 o-clock, lcp 6 o-clock and i will carry my shotgun just in case i have problems getting to my mail box.

RoyGBiv
11-08-2012, 03:20 PM
I get the "how do I tighten this thing?" question about once a month.....probably should make a video using a gal to model.

~Matt
Sorry, no women here right now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTQ6fpdC3UE

Let me know if I'm not doing it right... :)

butler coach
11-13-2012, 04:26 PM
It's here this will give me something to do all day at work tomorrow

Up1911Fan
11-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Just received mine from VolGrad, as I was thinking, it's a little to big. I've got an e-mail in to see if they can shorten it up a bit. Quality/design seem's top notch. I'll be ordering a black one a size smaller in the near future.

VolGrad
11-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Just received mine from VolGrad, as I was thinking, it's a little to big. I've got an e-mail in to see if they can shorten it up a bit. Quality/design seem's top notch. I'll be ordering a black one a size smaller in the near future.

I'm genuinely surprised it's too big based on how it fit me and comparing our waist sizes. Did you adjust using both the velcro and moving the hook around further?

Up1911Fan
11-13-2012, 09:21 PM
I did use both to adjust it. I got a very timely reply to my e-mail and will be sending it in to have it shortened up a bit. Really like the design of the belt and see it getting a ton of use once it fit's better.

orionz06
11-13-2012, 09:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmtfZffVubw

VolGrad
11-14-2012, 08:06 AM
I did use both to adjust it. I got a very timely reply to my e-mail and will be sending it in to have it shortened up a bit. Really like the design of the belt and see it getting a ton of use once it fit's better.

I feel bad.

butler coach
11-14-2012, 12:06 PM
LOVE MY BELT can not wait to hang a gun on it. people say it don't go well with my tan dress pants that i have on today but i don't care.

Up1911Fan
11-14-2012, 05:49 PM
I feel bad.

Don't. It's already on it's way back to get shortened. Not a big deal as I have several belts already. I'm thinking i'm going to like this more than my Wilderness or Ares once it fit's right.

SeriousStudent
11-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Imitation is the sincerest form of plagerism.

http://originalsoegear.com/EDCLowProfileBelt.html

That did not take long.

orionz06
11-26-2012, 10:31 PM
At least they aren't passing it off as their own. Careful wording often clouds the fact that someone didn't think it up.

Wendell
03-18-2013, 01:45 AM
...I'm very happy with the belt and am glad to ditch the Wilderness boat anchor buckle.

You'd probably be surprised at how many generations the sizing/spacing went through before the belt even got close to it's final form. First there was no slack in the loops and they laid flat like normal PALS but that made inserting and especially removing the G-Hook a PITA. With slack added I started playing with the spacing between tack lines and found that there really is a "sweet spot" in that spacing that makes the buckle much easier to engage and remove. With the tacks too close together the angle you need to tilt the buckle makes it hard to remove without fighting. Also, since I was the body the belt was designed around, I messed with different tail lengths as well and found the length currently used works best when I need to drop trowel but don't want the belt to open up and possibly allow my holster to slip off or at minimum clunk onto the floor. I can release all the slack in the tail and run the hook end all the way to the buckle but still leave the g-hook engaged. ~Matt

I just got my belts the other day and I'm head over heels in love with these belts! Talk about an awesome option for ladies! They are the best belts ever, especially for me due to the fact that I'm about 5'5 and 100 lbs so the lightness and slim design are such a blessing in comparison to some of the terribly heavy tactical belts that I've worn that end up being like an anchor weight around my waist. Also they are strong/durable enough to hold my extra mag case with a loaded magazine, my Raven's concealment holster, my heavy HK45c with a Surefire X300 on it and withstand me doing tons of speed drills holstering and unhosltering without loosening or dropping. Thank you so much for making such awesome belts!!!

These experiences mirror my own. For all of the reasons stated above, the Volund Atlas is my favorite belt.

http://www.volundgearworks.com/

Up1911Fan
03-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Still my first choice in a belt. I have two of these, a black one and tan one. Wear one or the other everyday unless I need to go with one of my leather belts.

orionz06
03-18-2013, 09:52 AM
I think I might give their ranger belt a try. My needs have changed a bit and I no longer thread anything through and instead use snaps. The stack height was still a concern but they have limited that as well.

Shokr21
03-18-2013, 11:34 AM
I ordered a 1.75 with a cobra buckle on the 7th, got it on the 15th. I've said it elsewhere, but not here, if Matt's still sewing my money will keep going to him.

Clyde from Carolina
03-18-2013, 07:01 PM
This may have already been said somewhere in this 24-page thread, but all the positive reviews AND this reference to Happy Fun Ball on the Atlas site ensures I WILL order one. :D

"Like all nylon gear, fraying can occur as the belt ages. To combat this, the user can simply melt the fraying ends with a quick pass of the flame from a lighter or match.
Wash dirt, sweat, blood and tears from the belt with a mild detergent and cloth, hang to dry out of direct sunlight.
Do not taunt ATLAS belts.
ATLAS belts are not designed for load bearing or rescue use applications. You want to wear an actual harness for those activities anyway…"

imp1295
04-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Just received mine today. Much lighter and a bit more pliable than my Ares Ranger. My only initial concern is trying to thread the PALS loops through the fixed kydex loop on my JM Custom AIWB holster. It really takes a bit of coaxing to get through. I am hoping that the nylon will break in (it usually does) and make it easier to thread on my holster.

I typically keep my buckle at 3 o'clock for a right hand draw. There is a bit of 'belt yoga' to get the G-hook right when trying to work behind my right hip. This is a solution I had to go to so that I could keep the "super-sized" raven concealment mag pouches on my belt.

Maybe I should just go with a BMC and see how that works?

Any thoughts form you guys on buckle placement with a AIWB and a couple of OWB mag pouches?

Thanks

JMS
04-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Mine's a medium Volund, and I have the tail that has the G-hook as the start, going clockwise around me. G-hook placed in the 2nd of the 4 PALS loops, which end up on my left side.

Hook ends up @ 10 oclock (immediately counter-clockwise of the 1st belt loop of the trousers on my left side), the tapered end of the belt that goes underneath the rest of the belt ends up @ 12 oclock and butts up against the leftmost soft loop of the holster, which ends up @ 12:30.

Mag pouch butts up against the "back" of the G-hook, call it 9:30. More than one mag pouch gets stacked behind the one that always there; Ready Tactical or Kytex individual pouches....

Wendell
04-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Any thoughts form you guys on buckle placement with a AIWB and a couple of OWB mag pouches?

G-Hook at 12:15. Shaggy fixed loop at 01:00. Kytex pouches at 10:00 and 09:00.

RoyGBiv
04-15-2013, 10:22 PM
So I'm reading coverage of the Boston bombings... One guy talks about how he saw a leg fly by and was able to give up his belt to use as a tourniquet... And I realize... I'd have a very hard time making my Atlas into a tourniquet... I'd need to wrap it twice to cinch my femoral, forget about my brachial, I don't think I could cinch the Atlas that small with one hand. The proportions (location of the loops relative to multiple wraps of the belt) would need to work out just so.

Adding another set of loops close to the buckle end would probably do the trick, but it would make the belt harder to put on.

Just thought I'd mention it. Not sure it's worth "fixing".

butler coach
04-16-2013, 06:54 AM
i dont think it would be worth it when you could just use your shoe lace. or some other item.

orionz06
04-16-2013, 07:08 AM
I have tried it briefly and I'd say this and the other thick belts are just not gonna work. The things that makes great belts don't often make great tourniquets. Others have added a tourniquet to their EDC with minimal impact. I'd probably look to that or to something else always on your person that could substitute for one.

Jason F
04-16-2013, 10:35 AM
As Orionz06 mentioned, adding something to your EDC is probably best. An Atlas belt is great, but won't really work as a TQ unfortunately.

Check out the EDC Med kit from ITS. Seems like a pretty good EDC package.
http://www.itstactical.com/store/its-edc-trauma-kit/

RoyGBiv
04-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Didn't intend to take the thread OT to tourniquets.
Just thinking out loud a bit... I spend a lot of time out and about. Just me and what I have in my shorts pockets. Usually not wearing shoes with laces.

I'd use my shirt if I needed a tourniquet and nothing else was available... Just wondering if maybe I missed some way to get the Atlas to work quickly in a pinch.

After maybe a year of wearing it as my primary belt, I've finally taken a lighter to it to melt a few frays. Good as new.

Andy in NH
04-16-2013, 03:37 PM
... adding something to your EDC is probably best....

Like a small pocketknife to cut up some of those flags flying in the breeze.

JeepFreak
03-29-2015, 01:27 PM
I have been using a crappy $15 nylon "rigger's belt" to carry at the 4 o'clock position, IWB, for a few years, and it's worked out fine, but I recently decided to make a go at appendix carry (IWB) and I'm finding it quite uncomfortable to crank my belt down, as tight as it has been in order to keep the gun secure, now that it's in the AIWB position. So, I set off looking for a stiffer nylon belt, in the hopes that I could loosen the belt just a tad. I found the Atlas G-Hook belt and it seemed to meet all my other requirements. I thought I was set, but then I found the "Slim" version of the Atlas G-Hook belt. The description says it's "Ideal for IWB and AIWB carry", which made me start to second guess myself. I'm sure even the "slim" version is much better/stiffer than the belt I have now, but I'm still trying to decide between the two Atlas belts. Any advice is appreciated!
Billy

s0nspark
07-01-2015, 11:05 AM
I have been using a crappy $15 nylon "rigger's belt" to carry at the 4 o'clock position, IWB, for a few years, and it's worked out fine, but I recently decided to make a go at appendix carry (IWB) and I'm finding it quite uncomfortable to crank my belt down, as tight as it has been in order to keep the gun secure, now that it's in the AIWB position. So, I set off looking for a stiffer nylon belt, in the hopes that I could loosen the belt just a tad. I found the Atlas G-Hook belt and it seemed to meet all my other requirements. I thought I was set, but then I found the "Slim" version of the Atlas G-Hook belt. The description says it's "Ideal for IWB and AIWB carry", which made me start to second guess myself. I'm sure even the "slim" version is much better/stiffer than the belt I have now, but I'm still trying to decide between the two Atlas belts. Any advice is appreciated!
Billy

Just my two cents here but I say go with the regular belt. I switched to using an Atlas G-Hook after starting out with a Wilderness FF and then an SOE Cobra EDC belt and I have not looked back.

The scuba webbing made a huge difference for me. It makes the belt thicker which helps to hold my gear more securely. As was mentioned in the initial post here, the belt does not cut into me like the thinner belts did. Also I found I don't have to crank the bejeezus out of the belt for it to carry well - the belt is stiff enough to do a lot of the heavy lifting itself.

It feels odd to be excited about something as utilitarian as a belt but these are excellent!

OnionsAndDragons
07-01-2015, 12:05 PM
I think you'll be happy with either. So, buy both!

Seriously, the Volund and the Wilderness FreqFlier are my two favorites. They are also excellent value for your money, IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Irelander
07-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Glad to see Volund is taking orders again.