PDA

View Full Version : Tavor 7 in .308 Announced

Sensei
07-01-2017, 09:30 AM
TAVOR 7

Specifications:
• Caliber: 7.62 NATO/.308 Win
• Barrel: CHF/CL 1:12 twist with a 16" barrel; 1:10 with 18" barrel
• OAL: 26.75" with 16" barrel (without flash suppressor)
• Weight: 8.6 Lbs.
• Optional calibers & Conversion Kits: TBD
• Colors: Black, FDE and OD Green

Features (muzzle to butt):
• Muzzle threads: 5/8 x 24
• 4 position variable gas regulator (including off)
• Upper forend: 2 MLOK slots at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock
• Lower forend: Removable SAR styled forend cover that exposes one integral pic rail at 6 o'clock when removed.
• Charging handle lockable in open position, similar to an MP5.
• Full length one piece Picatinny (Mil-Spec) top rail with integral folding BUIS; Tritium front post.
• Cutlass style grip modifiable to pistol grip with traditional trigger guard; same as X95.
• Short stroke gas piston (unlike our long stroke SAR and X95).
• Uses LR/SR25 magazines and comes with one 20-round Magpul PMAG with window (in states without capacity restrictions; 10 round for restricted states).
• Bolt release is Tavor SAR style along centerline or release from MP5 style charging handle
• Fire control group is not interchangeable with SAR or X95.

Ambidextrous Features:
• Ambidextrous bolt; no opposite hand bolt needed for conversion to opposite hand operation. No need to return the gun to IWI US for opposite hand conversion and head space checking.
• Ambidextrous (all the time) magazine release position like our X95, similar to an AR-15.
• Ambidextrous charging handle with push through receiver functionality. No need for tools or any disassembly.
• Ambidextrous (all the time) safety selector with a 450 rotation (unlike 900 on our SAR and X95).
• Ambidextrous (all the time) bolt release behind magazine; similar to the Tavor SAR.
• Ejection port covers are user configurable in the field with a simple slide of the case deflector.

Launch Date: First shipments projected to start in January, 2018.

Price: TBD

Sensei
07-01-2017, 09:52 AM
A couple of thoughts:

1) This is a big shot across Desert Tech's bow. IWI has a much bigger production capacity and can crank out Tavor's at a dizzying rate. The MDR will be in big trouble unless it is released very soon...

2) I like the ambi features: bolt, push through charging handle similar to the Beretta ARX, etc.

Kyle Reese
07-01-2017, 12:15 PM
I'll be buying one.

Beat Trash
07-01-2017, 12:38 PM
I would like to see some of those changes, like the charging handle, transferred over to the 5.56mm guns.

mrozowjj
07-01-2017, 02:35 PM
This makes me moist.

Unlike when I bought the OG Tavor I'll wait for a year or so after release so the price comes down a bit but I very much want one.

nate89
07-01-2017, 02:37 PM
I hadn't thought about that when I first saw the announcement. I got to play with the MDR at SHOT this year, and I like the ejection a lot as a lefty, but like you said, if they can't step up and start producing them, all the R&D is going to be a waste if everyone moves to another company that can actually produce rifles in volume.

masternave
07-01-2017, 04:13 PM
I have never thought twice about Tavors, but this interests me a lot.

Mike C
07-01-2017, 04:43 PM
Curious about the reasoning behind the 1-12", why not just go 1-10 across the board? Additionally the MDR looks like a bad ass concept but that's all it seems to be. I've had the chance to run a DTA covert and was extremely impressed, they seem to make a good product. I would be interesting to see the MDR come to fruition, if it manages to offer the accuracy of the covert I shot it would give anything in that arena a run for it's money. As for the Tavor, I had a SAR B-18/18B or whatever in 5.56 and it was a decent gun, looking forward to see how this fairs in .308 more so if it forces DTA to move their asses.

Poconnor
07-02-2017, 09:21 AM
I never wanted a tavor but this has potential

Sensei
08-15-2019, 02:01 PM
These are a showing up on GunBroker. Starting bids around $2K.

HeavyDuty
08-25-2021, 09:57 PM
As I was moving my X95 to the front of the safe tonight, I got to thinking - did anyone here end up with a Tavor 7? They are very appealing.

andre3k
08-26-2021, 01:21 PM
As I was moving my X95 to the front of the safe tonight, I got to thinking - did anyone here end up with a Tavor 7? They are very appealing.I got one last year and still haven't shot it yet. I bought it for the cool factor with no real role for it and I haven't decided on optics yet. It currently sits in the back of the safe as one of my rainy day projects. I do have a bunch of hogs on my property that need killing, I guess there's always that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Greg Bell
08-29-2021, 07:06 PM
I have had one for a while now. I will probably do up a little video on it once I get over what ever crud I have.

Pros

1. 7.62. Serious round. Also very available around here during the various panics.
2. Very Compact. Sitting one of these next to my SCAR-17 you really get an idea how handy this gun is.
3. Very Reliable. I have shot 500+ rounds (I'll check my log) and I don't recall a single malfunction. I have mainly run Federal White box/surplus 147 FMJ. The cheapest brass around here.
4. It really could be a do it all gun. It could be run in CQB mode and you would have zero concern about being able to cure whatever problem you have. Further, it is capable of penetrating barriers at very long distances. Just a mean machine.
5. Runs perfectly with my SOCOM suppressor.
6. It has an AWESOME gas cut off feature that turns session shooting subsonic .308 into giggle fits. It is incredibly quiet.

CONS

1. Just not notably accurate. It's a 3moa gun with cheap FMJ using ain Aimpoint m5 with Magnifier. Is that bad? Not really. Honestly I should put a LPVO on top of it and run it off a few bags. My guess is it will shoot 1.5-2 with good Match ammo. Totally acceptable. I will say, I can shoot MOA with my Scar-17 with 175gr and 3.5VCOG so I know it isn't totally me. That being said, this gun is amazing for wailing on 10 inch plates out to 250 yards (which is the longest range I have on my property).
2. Non standard Manual of arms. This is totally on me. I always get weirded out when doing mag swaps and stuff like that. Again, I need practice.
3. HEAVY. I know, I know, bull pups shift the weight back so it isn't a big deal. Yes, when shooting the gun is practically speaking, much lighter than advertised. But carrying this. gun gets old. My bench is about 400 yards from my house and if I walk down to the range I start understanding fast why people complain about heavy guns (plus I am a 48 year old fatty)

General thoughts. Basically, it is a totally modern version of the classic battle rifle. It isn't a DMR rifle, but it is a totally reliable mega-hard hitting gun that can be used in any practical situation a normal person might need a rifle. Honestly, the only thing I wish they could figure out is how to cut the weight. I feel like if this thing was about 8 pounds it would be perfect. If you get one you should propably select accessories carefully. This thing is perfect with an Aimpoint or Holosun. Then you can keep a magnifier for trying long shots. Select a lightweight system and I probably would even try to save weight by running a simple, smaller light up front.

1slow
03-21-2024, 12:15 AM
Any updates ? Thanks.