PDA

View Full Version : IRS Arrest Warrant Issued !

SamAdams
06-30-2017, 09:01 PM
An elderly relative called me today saying she got a phone message saying an IRS criminal arrest warrant had been issued and that if she didnt call back there would be all sorts of bad consequences. Of course, its a scam. They intimidate people into sending money for 'taxes and penalties due'. - - Such a con job by these POS are obvious to all of us. But if you have older relatives they may not use the internet and be able to look into such scams. You might pass this information on to them. This particular scam has ramped up this summer according to the IRS.

JohnO
06-30-2017, 09:08 PM
I got the call multiple times in one day earlier this week. Our home phone has been on the Do Not Call list for years and the bogus calls are relentless. Everyone has a cell phone I think it is time to dump the land line.

blues
06-30-2017, 09:11 PM
I got the call multiple times in one day earlier this week. Our home phone has been on the Do Not Call list for years and the bogus calls are relentless. Everyone has a cell phone I think it is time to dump the land line.

JohnO, I get lots of scam calls on the cell as well but I have an unlimited number of blocks on the iPhone so they're easier to manage.

(Both landline and cell numbers are registered with the Do Not Call list for what good it does.)

DallasBronco
06-30-2017, 09:26 PM
Tom, that video was a thing of beauty.

Mike C
06-30-2017, 09:53 PM
Pure gold.

Jared
06-30-2017, 10:05 PM
I got that same scam call, dude gave an ID# and everything. Actually had me going for a bit, but where they screwed up was when they said I had to pay it all that day or else. Even my dumb, mouth breathing, hillbilly ass knows that if you're delinquent on taxes with the IRS you can make payments, lol. Then I hung up the phone and searched the net and sure nuff, it was a scam. I felt stupid that they had me believing it for a minute, but at least I never gave them any info or money. I can easily see how someone could get taken for a ride by this one, cause they come at you hard and talk pretty fast and serious about the whole thing

ACP230
06-30-2017, 10:11 PM
I got that call several months ago.
"You are a scam," sez I. "No, I am not," sez he (in an Indian accent).
"Click" sez I.

It has happened a couple of times since. A friend says he is going to start
talking in Dutch the next time he gets one.

Malamute
06-30-2017, 10:27 PM
I got that call several months ago.
"You are a scam," sez I. "No, I am not," sez he (in an Indian accent).
"Click" sez I.

It has happened a couple of times since. A friend says he is going to start
talking in Dutch the next time he gets one.

Hmm, Navajo might be fun too. :)

trailrunner
07-01-2017, 05:15 AM
When I used to get sales calls, I would pretend to take the bait. I'd tell them I was very interested, but I had to switch phones and take the call in my study where my credit card was. So if they could just hold on -- I'm going to put the phone down and walk upstairs, so it might take a minute or two but please don't hang up -- I'd probably buy not one, but two of whatever they were selling. Then I'd go outside and mow the lawn.

My theory was that they operate with very low odds but with very high volume, so if I can take them off line for 5 minutes, I'd take away a lot of their opportunity.

peterb
07-01-2017, 05:17 AM
The phone scam making the rounds here was a voice mail saying that the FBI was watching the house and we were under arrest unless we called back immediately.

I managed to not take it seriously.

JohnO
07-01-2017, 06:33 AM
When I used to get sales calls, I would pretend to take the bait. I'd tell them I was very interested, but I had to switch phones and take the call in my study where my credit card was. So if they could just hold on -- I'm going to put the phone down and walk upstairs, so it might take a minute or two but please don't hang up -- I'd probably buy not one, but two of whatever they were selling. Then I'd go outside and mow the lawn.

My theory was that they operate with very low odds but with very high volume, so if I can take them off line for 5 minutes, I'd take away a lot of their opportunity.

I love to mess with telemarketers. Someday I would love to get the actual phone number for the woman behind the voice of 'Rachel from Credit Card Services'. If I had that number I would probably be locked up for harassment.

After thinking about it for a minute if the judge at my trial received as many calls as I have from Rachel I just might get a medal.

Pacioli
07-01-2017, 06:57 AM
Just so everyone knows...the IRS NEVER makes contact by phone. They ALWAYS communicate by USPS. Just tell your relatives that if it's a phone call, it's not the IRS, hangup and relax. In fact, if you want to talk to someone at the IRS (sucks, buts it's my job sometimes), it's hard as hell. They can't answer inbound calls in less than twenty minutes. They sure as hell don't have time to make outbound calls.

Stephanie B
07-01-2017, 07:16 AM
I saw that on another website. The guy who did that should get a medal.

Stephanie B
07-01-2017, 07:28 AM

Some years ago, because of harassing calls from a relative, I changed my phone number. I asked the phone company to list it using my cat's first name and the Russian word for cat. (I resisted the temptation to ask for "Heywood U. Buzzov.")

I got a lot of calls for him. I'd ask: "He's in the other room, who's calling?" They'd tell me and I'd put the phone down for a few minutes. Then I'd come back and say: "He wants to know what you want." They'd usually say that they'd call back and end the call, but sometimes they bit. So I'd put the phone down for another few minutes. If they were still on the line, I'd tell them he can't talk now and hang up.

One voicemail from a telemarketer was golden. Now I'm going to get all OCD and try to find it.

blues
07-01-2017, 08:25 AM
When I get an unexpected bill or lien out of the blue from the IRS I just turn to one of my many royal prince buddies from Nigeria and have them pick up the tab on my behalf.

They're more than happy to deposit the money into the account once I provide them with all the boring account details and you couldn't ask for better friends. Always there to support you because of the integrity you've displayed throughout your life.

/sarcasm if anyone is seriously impaired this morning. :rolleyes:

LittleLebowski
07-01-2017, 09:14 AM

You gotta change the number every few years. Our home phone isn't even answered nor is its ringer turned on. Just there for outgoing calls and emergency calls.

voodoo_man
07-01-2017, 09:18 AM
Home phones see this most.

I remember I responded to a 911 call and a nice old lady told me the IRS was coming for her. I told her it was not true and while we were talking the idiots called her again.

Guy identified as agent Stevens. I asked him for his direct number and googled it as he was talking, came up as spam. It's sad they prey on senior citizens.

RJ
07-01-2017, 09:25 AM
Best approach I've seen so far: guy wrote a free bot app you connect them to:

http://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?section_id=216&doc_id=1329242

ETA: I see he's monetized it now:

www.jollyrogertelephone.com

Me, I never answer the phone anymore, except for maybe blood relatives.

I typically add any calling number to my 'Spam' contact which is blocked on my smart phone.

Stephanie B
07-01-2017, 06:19 PM
Some years ago, because of harassing calls from a relative, I changed my phone number. I asked the phone company to list it using my cat's first name and the Russian word for cat. (I resisted the temptation to ask for "Heywood U. Buzzov.")

I got a lot of calls for him. I'd ask: "He's in the other room, who's calling?" They'd tell me and I'd put the phone down for a few minutes. Then I'd come back and say: "He wants to know what you want." They'd usually say that they'd call back and end the call, but sometimes they bit. So I'd put the phone down for another few minutes. If they were still on the line, I'd tell them he can't talk now and hang up.

One voicemail from a telemarketer was golden. Now I'm going to get all OCD and try to find it.

Found it (from 2003). Now I have to convert it to a movie and then maybe I can upload it.

Poconnor
07-01-2017, 10:33 PM
They keep calling my wife and telling her the police are on their way to arrest her. I told her to just block the calls. I remember an elderly lady received a call from the Irish sweepstakes but she needed to give them 5000 bucks as a fee/tax. She was really excited but called the police to make sure it was legit. I asked her - did you enter the sweepstakes? No. Then how could you win?
My favorite was an email from Luca Brasi saying he had been hired to kill you but would not if you sent him 5000 bucks. I told the lady don't worry; Luca was already sleeping with the fish

Coal Train
07-01-2017, 10:41 PM
I saw the thread title and thought, "Hillary is finally going to jail!"

Odin Bravo One
07-02-2017, 07:04 PM
I just tell them to suit up and call the SWAT team, I'll be standing by. And tell them to be sure to bring a big lunch. They usually hang up on me at that point.

ReverendMeat
07-02-2017, 07:34 PM
I just don't answer my phone unless I know who's calling and if they don't leave a message I block the number.

Peally
07-02-2017, 07:50 PM
I get telemarketer calls all the time. Typically its "hello is ___ there?" Followed by "Oh well you can help me then I'm with..."

I give them a succinct "fuck you" and hang up while they're talking.

Ronin_Jedi
07-02-2017, 08:22 PM
Just so everyone knows...the IRS NEVER makes contact by phone. They ALWAYS communicate by USPS. Just tell your relatives that if it's a phone call, it's not the IRS, hangup and relax. In fact, if you want to talk to someone at the IRS (sucks, buts it's my job sometimes), it's hard as hell. They can't answer inbound calls in less than twenty minutes. They sure as hell don't have time to make outbound calls.
Pacioli,

IIRC, this is no longer totally true. I **believe** the IRS has recently implemented a policy to **outsource** collections of taxes owed. Not sure if this has been implemented. This is not to say yu wouldn't be able to contest directly with the IRS any taxes one might owe.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Ronin_Jedi
07-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Home phones see this most..... It's sad they prey on senior citizens.

Totally agree. My dad was a sucker on more than one occasion. Out several thousands in total - across several such calls - for an "upfront commission" to sell a timeshare he once owned. (One even stated my dad was owned money following the settlement of a lawsuit initiated by the Florida Dept of Agriculture (not the AG's office)!!!!

Then there's the junk emails, postal mail, etc., home contractors, etc., all sucking money out of naive elderly (or suffering dementia).

Fortunately, I'm now able to filter most of this crap before he can act on it.

Worse is that they can spoof a phone number while calling a real phone (our cell or home). How? And now Congress wants to permit ringless voicemails from companies and other orgs?

beenalongtime
07-02-2017, 11:30 PM
Pacioli,

IIRC, this is no longer totally true. I **believe** the IRS has recently implemented a policy to **outsource** collections of taxes owed. Not sure if this has been implemented. This is not to say yu wouldn't be able to contest directly with the IRS any taxes one might owe.

98% sure you are wrong. I know quite a few IRS people, and am related to one and this has not been mentioned. (this would conflict with privacy laws, etc. If there was an emergency, I couldn't even enter the building to assist my relative).
Those that know you are not allowed to contact you or work on your case, but I had my relative call me in tears, when I had another friend who deals with tax protesters, tell him he needed to go to a certain location due to a tax protester case he was working on with the same name. I couldn't keep in the laughter long enough to keep it going.

voodoo_man
07-03-2017, 07:39 AM
Totally agree. My dad was a sucker on more than one occasion. Out several thousands in total - across several such calls - for an "upfront commission" to sell a timeshare he once owned. (One even stated my dad was owned money following the settlement of a lawsuit initiated by the Florida Dept of Agriculture (not the AG's office)!!!!

Then there's the junk emails, postal mail, etc., home contractors, etc., all sucking money out of naive elderly (or suffering dementia).

Fortunately, I'm now able to filter most of this crap before he can act on it.

Worse is that they can spoof a phone number while calling a real phone (our cell or home). How? And now Congress wants to permit ringless voicemails from companies and other orgs?

Spoofing has been around for a long time, before the modern internet even.

One thing I always recommend whenever I come across senior citizens with involved kids is to have a financial power of attorney granted and take away all checks and CC cards. Leave them with a single debit card with a monthly allotment for their bills and some more for recreation. Sucks to have your kids control your money but if your dropping thousands on scams is best for everyone.

Ronin_Jedi
07-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Spoofing has been around for a long time, before the modern internet even.

One thing I always recommend whenever I come across senior citizens with involved kids is to have a financial power of attorney granted and take away all checks and CC cards. Leave them with a single debit card with a monthly allotment for their bills and some more for recreation. Sucks to have your kids control your money but if your dropping thousands on scams is best for everyone.
Agreed. Thx and Happy 4th of July (to all on this forum as well)

Ronin_Jedi
07-03-2017, 12:49 PM
98% sure you are wrong. I know quite a few IRS people, and am related to one and this has not been mentioned. (this would conflict with privacy laws, etc. If there was an emergency, I couldn't even enter the building to assist my relative).
Those that know you are not allowed to contact you or work on your case, but I had my relative call me in tears, when I had another friend who deals with tax protesters, tell him he needed to go to a certain location due to a tax protester case he was working on with the same name. I couldn't keep in the laughter long enough to keep it going.
You may very well be right. But then again, maybe what I read is that they're considering it, not that it's policy yet.

Where I somewhat disagree with you is on privacy. Collecting taxes based on findings of an audit, in my mind, would be no different from a bank outsourcing collections on outstanding cards or mortgages. But this is my opinion.

(For the record, I'm actually against outsourcing collections altogether, or even servicing a mortgage - given number of people who paid their mortgage but to the wrong company. My point here only being that I see no difference between these 2 types of collections.)

Best.

JohnO
07-03-2017, 12:54 PM

Obviously given that the kids are trustworthy! I "had" a friend, solid guy by all accounts. The family (brothers, sisters and their spouses) discovered that mom's house was sitting on land zoned commercial and could be sold for a pretty penny. They decided that mom really needed to move to a condo and that they should not have to wait on their inheritance.

Pacioli
07-03-2017, 01:09 PM
Pacioli,

You are correct that the service has begun outsourcing collections. However, Before a collector can make phone contact, the IRS first notifies you of the placement with the collector by USPS. The collector is then required to notify you by USPS before making contact by phone. So there is not an "out of the blue" call trying to collect and the call is not from the IRS.

blues
07-03-2017, 01:16 PM
You are correct that the service has begun outsourcing collections. However, Before a collector can make phone contact, the IRS first notifies you of the placement with the collector by USPS. The collector is then required to notify you by USPS before making contact by phone. So there is not an "out of the blue" call trying to collect and the call is not from the IRS.

I'm a few months from Medicare eligibility but was able to file this past weekend online. I received an email this morning telling me that I might be contacted telephonically by a representative to complete the application process.

Surprisingly, I was actually called just a short while ago and the information was confirmed and finalized. No muss, no fuss.

Ordinarily, had someone called purporting to be from the gov't they'd have been hung up on or otherwise summarily dispatched.

voodoo_man
07-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Obviously given that the kids are trustworthy! I "had" a friend, solid guy by all accounts. The family (brothers, sisters and their spouses) discovered that mom's house was sitting on land zoned commercial and could be sold for a pretty penny. They decided that mom really needed to move to a condo and that they should not have to wait on their inheritance.

That goes without saying. But still, is it better off some scammer gets the money or the kids, even if they suck.