PDA

View Full Version : Practical testing shows that the Walmart Ozark Trail Yeti cooler clone is better

LittleLebowski
06-30-2017, 02:07 PM
than the Yeti.

Forum link to testing (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586765&page=3)

50% price differential, roughly.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-26-Quart-High-Performance-Cooler-Grey/49229405

https://www.amazon.com/YETI-Roadie-Cooler-Desert-Tan/dp/B005N02LHM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498849949&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=yeti+26+quart

CS Tactical
06-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Hopefully all the coolers were stored in the same condition before the test, one thing people do not realize is that those types of coolers also store heat pretty well. There were some customers that were storing their Yeti's in the garage where it can be well over 100+ in the garage and complained about their ice melting much quicker than what we experience. We'll typically tell people that the best thing to do for the best results is to bring the cooler into the home the day before if it's cooler than the garage and if possible load it up with ice the night before to pre-cool than dump it out before putting the ice that they are using in. That technique should work for similar coolers as well YMMV

Gray222
06-30-2017, 04:50 PM
*shutupandtakemymoney.meme*

LOKNLOD
06-30-2017, 06:41 PM
My wife has a little side hustle decorating the stainless tumblers with vinyl designs and paint/epoxy. I've gotten funny looks buying 20 ozark trail mugs at a time at Walmart.

Re: performance of the tumblers, they are all
Impressive at how well they work, but the utility of a cup that holds ice for 24hr+ is much less important than its ice chest counterpart. If you need to go 24 hours on one cup of water you're going to want that ice to melt so you can drink it.

LittleLebowski
06-30-2017, 06:46 PM
I will prolly get an Ozark Trail one sooner or later. I don't get putting a Yeti cooler sticker on your truck. #LebowskiThoughts (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=LebowskiThoughts)

ranger
06-30-2017, 07:35 PM
I could not justify the YETI so I went with RTIC. So far so good.

Stephanie B
06-30-2017, 08:25 PM
I've got one of those tumblers that I use for taking coffee to work. I've found if I rinse it out with a bit of near-boiling water, fill it up with that water, then dump it out when the coffee's ready, that the tumble will keep the coffee hot for a few hours.

(I heat up a pint of water in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave. Works pisser.)

LOKNLOD
06-30-2017, 08:39 PM
I've got one of those tumblers that I use for taking coffee to work. I've found if I rinse it out with a bit of near-boiling water, fill it up with that water, then dump it out when the coffee's ready, that the tumble will keep the coffee hot for a few hours.

(I heat up a pint of water in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave. Works pisser.)

We have the "hot water tap" at work (for making tea or stuff, piped straight out of the industrial coffee pot) and i always rinse my cups in it before adding coffee. Yeti-type or regular mug, it helps to have some heat that the cup doesn't have to suck out of the coffee.

Gray222
06-30-2017, 09:58 PM
I will prolly get an Ozark Trail one sooner or later. I don't get putting a Yeti cooler sticker on your truck. #LebowskiThoughts (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=LebowskiThoughts)

If I drive by a wally world I'm gana get one.

Not because I need one but because you suck.

Welder
06-30-2017, 11:17 PM
Can somebody explain the recent fascination / craze about coolers? Ice is so cheap to buy or make that I don't get what's wrong with the old $15 ones you could buy at Wal-Mart. (Maybe you still can, but my old $15 one keeps doing it's thing, 20 years later, so why change?). Yet now it seems like everybody I know is spending hundreds of bucks on coolers. I truly Do Not Understand What Is Going On. Is it global warming? Or just another First World "problem?"

BJXDS
07-01-2017, 06:44 AM

If you aint got a Stickered Up 4WD, and a Browning Tat, Then ur Wrong

JohnO
07-01-2017, 06:49 AM
I noticed that my local Costco has RTIC tumblers a two pack for under $20. Can't remember the exact price.

I'm old fashioned I keep a swivel top Igloo cooler in my car with drinks and lunch. New ice every morning. Keeps the stuff cold and my freezer's ice hopper fresh.

Welder
07-01-2017, 07:05 AM
As was mentioned in the other thread, people are using them on extended hunting (or "hunting") and/or fishing trips where ice isn't so readily available. I suspect some people in less austere environments are buying/using them because they are "cool".

Thanks, Tom. Didn't realize there was another cooler thread here. The people I know are buying them for the "cool" reason. Seems like they're somehow a status symbol around here. Nice pun BTW.

ranger
07-01-2017, 07:31 AM
My other hobby is boating - actually it is my wife's hobby but I drive the boat and frankly its is dramatically cutting into my shooting and reloading. We are headed out to the lake for several days and will be on the "hook" (anchored) so the ice needs to last for multiple days in the GA heat. I could not justify the Yeti so we went with RTIC the Walmart clone was not available when I bought. My wife has been buying the "Sam's" version of the insulated tumblers - the 2 for $20 - and they work great.

OlongJohnson
07-01-2017, 09:06 AM
If you aint got a Stickered Up 4WD, and a Browning Tat, Then ur Wrong

How many people with Browning tats actually shoot Browning guns rather than Savages?

Malamute
07-01-2017, 10:49 AM
There were some customers that were storing their Yeti's in the garage where it can be well over 100+ in the garage and complained about their ice melting much quicker than what we experience. We'll typically tell people that the best thing to do for the best results is to bring the cooler into the home the day before if it's cooler than the garage and if possible load it up with ice the night before to pre-cool than dump it out before putting the ice that they are using in. That technique should work for similar coolers as well YMMV

I would run the hose till cold, then fill my cooler with cold water for a short bit before packing for the mountains, or shopping in hot weather. Nice to have residual snow banks in the mountains most of the summer to use in the cooler to keep it cold.

I normally take the cooler grocery shopping in the summer, by the time Im done shopping and get gas or any other last stops and drive home, its an hour or so. Putting a blanket, coat, or down vest over the cooler helps also. So far, still using the cheapo coolers.

Coolers help keep your food from freezing at night in the fall in the mountains.

The cool guys on the 4wd offroad forums use 12v fridges. A friend had one for his summer travels, it seemed an extravagance, but is pretty handy, even for shopping. If I can get back to camping and travelling again, Id probably get one. Cant always be in the high country with the snow banks.

txdpd
07-01-2017, 12:09 PM
My big complaint about Yeti, is that they use the same odor absorbing HDPE plastic as everyone else. For the price they could try to find some sort of coating to put on it or impregnate it with unicorn farts from the factory. For the austere environments group that Yeti pretends to market to, they didn't do a very good job addressing one of the main reasons that people get rid of coolers, eventually they will smell worse than an asian grocery store.

At least when people had cheap coolers, they were willing to throw them away when they got the stank.

JclInAtx
07-01-2017, 03:13 PM
It's a 20 qt vs the Ozark's 26, but Sam's Club has the Igloo Sportsman 20 qt for $99 https://www.samsclub.com/sams/igloo-sportsman-20-quart-cooler-tan/prod16690006.ip?xid=plp1903-spor:product:1:11

The sportsman series is made in the USA for what it's worth. They are rotomolded so are pretty strong, but don't have quite as much insulation as the better coolers. Probably plenty enough for most people.

Peally
07-01-2017, 03:45 PM
I avoid Ozark Trail stuff on the regular. If they make something, it's because something else does it better.

As far as coolers I use a 10 dollar one and fill it for a few days at a time on 1 dollar of ice ;)

orionz06
07-02-2017, 05:50 PM
As was mentioned in the other thread, people are using them on extended hunting (or "hunting") and/or fishing trips where ice isn't so readily available. I suspect some people in less austere environments are buying/using them because they are "cool".

Yeti and the like are the fidget spinners of coolers. Folks buy them so they can take pics of them for the gram. Bonus points for a salt life sticker on the same window. Double points if you live 500 miles from the ocean.

How many people with Browning tats actually shoot Browning guns rather than Savages?

Exactly.

I avoid Ozark Trail stuff on the regular. If they make something, it's because something else does it better.

As far as coolers I use a 10 dollar one and fill it for a few days at a time on 1 dollar of ice ;)

Plus you have to go into Walmart to get them.

I find the whole cooler pre-chilling thing kinda funny. The morons who try and tell people they need the Yeti cooler will waste a bag of ice to pre-chill their cooler to then fill it full of garbage beer for their long weekend. Reality is they coulda done the same with any run of the mill cooler without a pre-chill. These types are among the few that make me irrationally frustrated.

And then you have this... (http://soldiersystems.net/2017/07/02/yeti-loadout-bucket/)
http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/img_2794.jpg

SeriousStudent
07-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Interesting. I have a 5-gallon bucket that I got for free at Kroger. It held cake frosting.

And it's "Artic White" for snow ops, too! :cool:

Peally
07-02-2017, 09:37 PM
BUT THIS ONE CAN HANDLE 300 POUNDS!

As if I've ever needed that feature in a bucket, ever.

Malamute
07-02-2017, 09:43 PM
BUT THIS ONE CAN HANDLE 300 POUNDS!

As if I've ever needed that feature in a bucket, ever.

Close as I can tell, a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights weighs about 175 lbs. If the bucket hasnt been sitting out in the sun too much, regular buckets do OK.

Peally
07-02-2017, 09:56 PM
Close as I can tell, a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights weighs about 175 lbs. If the bucket hasnt been sitting out in the sun too much, regular buckets do OK.

That, and if a bucket of something is heavy enough where I need to think for a split second if I'm going to throw something out lifting it I just use a wheelbarrow or two half filled buckets.

Malamute
07-02-2017, 10:03 PM
That, and if a bucket of something is heavy enough where I need to think for a split second if I'm going to throw something out lifting it I just use a wheelbarrow or two half filled buckets.

Semi-geezerdom and other things have made me appreciate 2 gallon buckets for many things. I still get other people to move 2 gallons worth of wheel weights though. :D Hand trucks are nice also.

SeriousStudent
07-02-2017, 10:57 PM
If something weighs 300 pounds, I pay somebody else to move it.

orionz06
07-02-2017, 11:03 PM

This is about right. Not sure what need there is for a Yeti bucket at all, other than for Yeti to sell. I won't knock that at all, I mean maybe I'm in the wrong for not looking at the generic bucket and seeing room to make it better. I'm sure they'll sell tons of them.

txdpd
07-02-2017, 11:16 PM
Bucket without a lid. I thought the whole point of using buckets was that you could put your crap in them and have it double as a stool when taking a breather. And if you put 300lbs in it you're going to need a lot of breathers.

Edited: If you're going to use your buckets on a boat, they usually float if there's a lid on them when they go over board. Methinks the people marketing and buying expensive buckets haven't actually spent much time on boats.

Gray222
07-03-2017, 08:21 AM
Bought two Ozark trail directors chairs the other day. The wallyworld had several coolers too.

These chairs worked great, I may pickup the cooler when it goes on sale in the winter.

Gray222
08-26-2017, 03:20 PM
Bought two Ozark trail directors chairs the other day. The wallyworld had several coolers too.

These chairs worked great, I may pickup the cooler when it goes on sale in the winter.

Picked up a 26qt ozark hard cooler today after a cheapy one I had died out on me. Good size for a family day trip or about 24 bottles of your favorite IPA.

It was $78 at my local evil-mart, also picked up some 9mm ammo to test in that new gen5 I'll have to vet.

Last time I checked the price of these they were $98. These went down in price by the 50ish-quart went down in price to $140ish.

Will be using it tomorrow, will report.

ragnar_d
08-26-2017, 05:36 PM

4WD Jeep/pickemup truck + Yeti Sticker + Salt Life Sticker = Required equipment for up and coming good ol' boy and/or southern crossfitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ranger
08-26-2017, 06:01 PM
4WD Jeep/pickemup truck + Yeti Sticker + Salt Life Sticker = Required equipment for up and coming good ol' boy and/or southern crossfitter

Its "lake life" in north GA

ragnar_d
08-26-2017, 06:07 PM
Its "lake life" in north GA

Having spent a fair bit of time in Fannin County GA and surrounding areas, that doesn't surprise me much.

Back to the topic at hand, I've got a Yeti 20oz cup and one of the knock off brands . . . I think it's Ozark Trail . . . and for the money, there isn't an appreciable difference. As I'm gonna need a cooler that'll keep ice for about 3-4 days without resupply in March, I may have these Ozark ones a look in addition to the RTIC ones.

txdpd
08-26-2017, 06:35 PM
Having spent a fair bit of time in Fannin County GA and surrounding areas, that doesn't surprise me much.

Back to the topic at hand, I've got a Yeti 20oz cup and one of the knock off brands . . . I think it's Ozark Trail . . . and for the money, there isn't an appreciable difference. As I'm gonna need a cooler that'll keep ice for about 3-4 days without resupply in March, I may have these Ozark ones a look in addition to the RTIC ones.

There's a big difference. If Yeti products have a personality, it's lonely little puppy tied to fire hydrant. You turn your back on a Yeti tumbler for one second, and someone will gladly take that neglected puppy home with them. The other brands are just cups that no one else give a shit about.

HCM
08-26-2017, 06:43 PM

A buddy just spent a week fishing the NC coast using comparably sized RTIC and Ozark Trail coolers. both were kep under the same conditions but the RTIC performed much better- keeping ice 3-4 days vs 1-2 for the ozark.

I just picked up a Magellan 25 Qt and I'm getting 1-2 days out of it here in South Texas. That is 2-3 times as long as a "regular" cooler which is good for about 1/2 a day but not Yetic / RTIC performance.

My 20oz Ozark tumbler seems to be the equal of the yeti's and RTIC's but IME you do get what you pay for with the coolers.

If you want a bigger cooler with Yeti like performance the Pelicans have performed well at work and you can get a wheeled model.

Gray222
08-26-2017, 07:56 PM
So I did some digging and it turns out you can prime these roto type coolers (and are supposed to) to get maximum effectiveness.

I put two solid ice packs (the reusable kind that are $2 at Walmart in the cooler right now and I'll be putting about 15lb of ice tomorrow morning in it and see how it works for the day tomorrow.

HCM
08-26-2017, 08:07 PM
There's a big difference. If Yeti products have a personality, it's lonely little puppy tied to fire hydrant. You turn your back on a Yeti tumbler for one second, and someone will gladly take that neglected puppy home with them. The other brands are just cups that no one else give a shit about.

Cooler security is a thing.

ranger
08-26-2017, 08:08 PM
As stated in earlier post, I use a large RTIC cooler on my boat - see "lake life" above. We typically go out Friday night and come back in Sunday afternoon. I have been leaving the cooler full of ice and drinks on Sunday afternoon and the cooler is still cold with a little bit of ice left on the next Friday when I get there. I restock the ice and away we go. So I keep it "precooled" and the RTIC works very well. I take empty water bottles and fill them with water and keep several in the freezer. Those large bottles of ice last a long time.

ragnar_d
08-26-2017, 08:09 PM
So I did some digging and it turns out you can prime these roto type coolers (and are supposed to) to get maximum effectiveness.

I put two solid ice packs (the reusable kind that are $2 at Walmart in the cooler right now and I'll be putting about 15lb of ice tomorrow morning in it and see how it works for the day tomorrow.

I've done that on all my coolers prior to race weekend at Sebring. Put ice in the night before I load up, drain it in the morning, load up refreshments, top off the ice on the way out of town. I've usually lasts until Saturday sometime when I load it up Thursday.

camsdaddy
08-27-2017, 01:54 PM
Picked up a 26qt ozark hard cooler today after a cheapy one I had died out on me. Good size for a family day trip or about 24 bottles of your favorite IPA.

It was $78 at my local evil-mart, also picked up some 9mm ammo to test in that new gen5 I'll have to vet.

Last time I checked the price of these they were $98. These went down in price by the 50ish-quart went down in price to $140ish.

Will be using it tomorrow, will report.

I'm interested to see how your test go. We have been looking and have not decided what to get. Last night we noticed the price drop and almost pulled the trigger. I don't care about a sticker or keeping ice for days on end. I would be happy to find a cooler that I can pack in the morning before work and it have a piece of ice after work and two middle school softball games. At $2 for a small Powerade and $1 for a water it won't take long in the south ga heat to justify

Gray222
08-27-2017, 06:28 PM

That's at the beach...

After I got home and took all the stuff out of it.

Filled it with a bunch of Corona for tonight's GOT season finale.

I primed it last night until this morning using two of the reuseable ice packs. They were still ice cold this morning. I put 14lbs of ice in there, along with various drinks, sandwiches and other assorted items that needed to be cold. Drove out to the beach (2+hrs) left it in direct sunlight of 80+% (which they explicitly say not to do) and then drove back (3+hrs due to traffic). When I got home I'll say 1/2 to 1/4 of the ice was melted. This was typical store bought ice which is in small pieces and not large "block" chunks" I'd bet large chunks would have still been fairly intact. Anyway, filled it with the amount of bottles you see and will check again tomorrow morning to see how much ice is still left/intact.

For $78 this little 26q(25L) yeti clone will due just fine for a day of training or a day at the beach. Probably more if you use solid ice blocks (if you can get them)

orionz06
08-27-2017, 06:46 PM
If you're gonna pre-cool them most any cooler will last for a class/weekend deal.

Gray222
08-27-2017, 09:32 PM
If you're gonna pre-cool them most any cooler will last for a class/weekend deal.

I have a $20 cheapy thing from Wally world I bought years ago. Thing won't make it for 24 hrs no matter what I do to it or what I put in it, this one will easily. So yeah, I'll gladly cheat to win with a quality clone at less than 1/2 the cost.

Johnny
08-28-2017, 06:17 AM
The Ozarks might not be up to the Yeti performance standards, for the money I do not really care. I'll take the Ozark for durability alone over the same old cheap crap cooler design of the last 40 years.

If you want your ice to last substantially longer keep the cooler in the shade, a blanket or sleeping bag tossed over makes a huge difference.

rob_s
08-28-2017, 06:19 AM
Buying something simply to brag about how cheaply you got "the same thing" really isn't any different than buying the expensive thing to brag about how much you spent...

Living in SE Florida the Yeti, and the brands that came before them like Engel (https://www.engelcoolers.com/), have probably been a thing around here longer than anywhere else. The because:reasons I hear are extended trips requiring longer ice storage as well as the ability to stand on them when on a boat. Now they have definitely become a lifestyle/status thing (see the country song "buy me a boa (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjGsKH05vnVAhXGQCYKHfYADpoQyCkIKTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmQ PjKSVe1tQ&usg=AFQjCNFe1nFZhWYvpNJdmGBvkewBvm-pUQ)t"), but so are so many other items that cost a lot for performance that nobody will ever use (like Ford Raptors, for one), or performance that could be better had for cheaper (like virtually every factory sports car you see at the drag strip getting outrun by a $15k Civic with a turbo in it).

SD
08-28-2017, 06:25 AM
make ice blocks out of ½ gallon cardboard milk containers, 3/4 filled. Chunk ice lasts longer and as they melt down you have cold water to drink if needed.

orionz06
08-28-2017, 06:54 AM
I have a $20 cheapy thing from Wally world I bought years ago. Thing won't make it for 24 hrs no matter what I do to it or what I put in it, this one will easily. So yeah, I'll gladly cheat to win with a quality clone at less than 1/2 the cost.

Close the lid.

Buying something simply to brag about how cheaply you got "the same thing" really isn't any different than buying the expensive thing to brag about how much you spent...

Plus it's still not the Yeti they really want.

Dagga Boy
08-28-2017, 07:26 AM
Just for the record.....I went with the big Pelican, because.....fricking wheels. Has worked amazingly well, and has suffered no damage or issues in its permanent home in the Raptor bed.....even doing 80 plus off road.

Hambo
08-28-2017, 07:37 AM
make ice blocks out of ½ gallon cardboard milk containers, 3/4 filled. Chunk ice lasts longer and as they melt down you have cold water to drink if needed.

Do they still sell milk in cardboard cartons?

Gray222
08-28-2017, 08:13 AM
Guess the point of contention is expected performance range vs. premium cost for name brand.

Just going on amazon I get the following when I look at the same size coolers:

Orca, Frostbite, Ozark, Igloo, Vibe Element, Yeti, MILEE, Driftsun, Pelican, Taiga and Coleman.

Other than the Coleman, the Ozark is second cheapest is probably 10-20% less effective than the Yeti (top tier) or Orca (which seems to get better ratings that Yeti on some models).

So for less than half the price of a top tier product you get 10-20% less effectiveness? I'd say that's a pretty damn good ratio.

The car analogy here doesn't make sense, these are rotor-molded coolers, they can look identical. If you could pay $80k for a Corvette and $30k for a Civic that looks like a Corvette and does 10-20% less in horsepower, sure some would buy the $80k Vette, but more people would buy the civic....

rob_s
08-28-2017, 01:35 PM
The car analogy here doesn't make sense, these are rotor-molded coolers, they can look identical. If you could pay $80k for a Corvette and $30k for a Civic that looks like a Corvette and does 10-20% less in horsepower, sure some would buy the $80k Vette, but more people would buy the civic....

I'm not looking to get into an argument about a stupid car analogy on the internet.

Point is, lots of people spend money on lots of stupid shit that they either (a) overspend on for the wrong reasons or (b) spend exactly the right amount for performance they'll never get or (c) buy a Raptor to attract young men.

Gray222
08-28-2017, 01:58 PM
Anyway, checked this morning, still a bunch of ice but lots more water. Looks like it's getting close to losing it's cool. Gana temp check the water later tonight.

Alembic
08-28-2017, 02:20 PM
You guys are funny. You're firearms are good enough to stake your life on, but preserving your food is a low prioriry... As a white water rafter we spend 5 to 25 days on the river, friends are on the Grand, that's the Grand Canyon, not a guided trip, 8 private boats 19 people, zero support or way out xcept Bright Angel, 24 days on the river plus 24-48 hour in and out, with zero support. Do you want your food to be rotten with 2 days left after an exhaughting trip? No, that's when you break out the steaks. Yeti stands up to years in the western sun and holds ice.

Tip... take your cooler, what ever it is, to a local resturant, where you have tipped better than the average cheap Cracker Barrel ass and ask them to freeze your cooler, in their walk in, with water in the bottom, 2 inches, then load it with frozen packages of food by day. Make a bi fold lid for the interior from a Walmart sleeping pad, only open the cooler once a day, transfer to your day cooler and you will have safe food for almost a month. Ya, expensive, like all top tier equipment.

Hambo
08-28-2017, 02:45 PM
For day to day stuff I'd just as soon have a soft sided cooler. The reason I've looked at Yeti, Orca, et al, is to save food during a hurricane. The plan being to empty the freezer into said cooler, keeping stuff frozen as long as possible.

Gray222
08-28-2017, 02:50 PM
For day to day stuff I'd just as soon have a soft sided cooler. The reason I've looked at Yeti, Orca, et al, is to save food during a hurricane. The plan being to empty the freezer into said cooler, keeping stuff frozen as long as possible.

Tried a soft side cooler. Hell, tried two. An igloo and a super cheap we got from a local business which was giving them out with other purchases. They are fine for a few hrs but for large stacks of stuff they are brittle. The igloo we bought tore a hole after a bit of use. Maybe the sharp ice maybe the bottle caps, either way thing leaked pretty seriously. A hard cases cooler removed that issue...

BobLoblaw
08-28-2017, 03:09 PM

Emergency food storage was my thinking as well. Then I remembered we eat out all the time so I'd basically be saving bags of frozen vegetables. I'm just gonna sport my junky 90's cooler for day trips and black Sharpie "Not a Yeti" on there. Can't be too cool or the window sticker yokels might try to make small talk.

Hambo
08-28-2017, 03:27 PM
Emergency food storage was my thinking as well. Then I remembered we eat out all the time so I'd basically be saving bags of frozen vegetables.

Good point. My wife is vegetarian so there's nothing of hers worth saving in the fridge or freezer. I however, have steaks, a couple lobster tails, and assorted other manly foods that should not be lost to the heat.

SeriousStudent
08-28-2017, 07:24 PM

If you cannot find cardboard milk cartons, you can use a 2-liter soda bottle instead. A box cutter will easily slice open the side, giving you a nice ice bollard.

Then pitch the plastic in the household recycle bin, and enjoy cold beverages.

Gray222
08-28-2017, 07:38 PM
So all the ice has melted as of this post. Checked the water temp with a cheap temp laser gun and it's around 38F.

What's left of the beer is still pretty cold.

If you cannot find cardboard milk cartons, you can use a 2-liter soda bottle instead. A box cutter will easily slice open the side, giving you a nice ice bollard.

Then pitch the plastic in the household recycle bin, and enjoy cold beverages.

This is a good idea. Now buying a 2liter soda bottle is another story....

SeriousStudent
08-28-2017, 07:42 PM
So all the ice has melted as of this post. Checked the water temp with a cheap temp laser gun and it's around 38F.

What's left of the beer is still pretty cold.

This is a good idea. Now buying a 2liter soda bottle is another story....

I periodically buy diet root beer for my granddaughter. It has no caffeine or sugar, and she can enjoy a cold root beer with PawPaw before she goes to bed.

I would be willing to bet any number of neighbors would have no problem saving a few for you.

Gray222
08-28-2017, 08:09 PM
I periodically buy diet root beer for my granddaughter. It has no caffeine or sugar, and she can enjoy a cold root beer with PawPaw before she goes to bed.

I would be willing to bet any number of neighbors would have no problem saving a few for you.

Diet root beer sounds good.

Yeah I'm sure I can find some two liter...

I want to test to see how long two/four/six mid sections of two liters would last.

OnionsAndDragons
08-28-2017, 09:57 PM
The 2-liter bottles strat is legit.

I only calculate 75% of my freezer size as storage, so I can keep frozen jugs in the other 25%. That will keep your food frozen for days with no power, more if you toss a blankey over the leaky side of your freezer/fridge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
08-28-2017, 10:41 PM
I got the idea from a friend. I have a chest freezer upstairs. The bottom of it is lined with a layer of 2-liter soda bottles laid on their sides.

Maple Syrup Actual
08-28-2017, 11:35 PM
Yeti and the like are the fidget spinners of coolers. Folks buy them so they can take pics of them for the gram. Bonus points for a salt life sticker on the same window. Double points if you live 500 miles from the ocean.

I find the whole cooler pre-chilling thing kinda funny. The morons who try and tell people they need the Yeti cooler will waste a bag of ice to pre-chill their cooler to then fill it full of garbage beer for their long weekend. Reality is they coulda done the same with any run of the mill cooler without a pre-chill. These types are among the few that make me irrationally frustrated.

And then you have this... (http://soldiersystems.net/2017/07/02/yeti-loadout-bucket/)
http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/img_2794.jpg

I'm fairly immersed (LOL OMG) in boat culture on account of living on a tiny little island part of the time, and this post cracked me up. I saw my first actual Salt Life sticker in a truck window a few weeks ago but I know it's a huge thing in the US.

Hilariously, before I saw my first Salt Life truck, I had seen TWO trucks with knockoffs with cartoon pole dancers that said "Slut Life".

Anyway, Yeti's overpriced and the big appeal is the brand name. There's a million companies that can do quality rotomolding. I'd trust Pelican to give me a plastic case that withstands the elements WAY before I'd trust a trendy cooler outfit.

Personally, I benefit more from light weight and wheels than anything else since for me it has to go on a boat, then get hauled onto the island. So I bought a coleman or something that had wheels, I forget exactly what, and then when I get to my place I lift the whole thing into my cooler-cooler. It's a 4x8 sheet of 3" rigid foam insulation I glued into a box shape, and it's a little smaller than a chest freezer. The whole cooler goes in it, and that way I don't have to haul a thirty pound cooler PLUS the food in it, to a stationary site.

I'd been thinking about buying a Pure Outdoors or something from Monoprice but I'm sure the Ozark one is just as good. But then I'm not sure if I can either A) give up wheels, or B) bring myself to spend Pelican money, because my specific application is a little unusual.

Assuming I can relocate to the open pacific soon, I'll be doing offshore tuna runs and then the rotomolds make more sense for me.

Gray222
08-29-2017, 07:29 AM
Re:wheels.

I was thinking about it for a moment while I was packing the 25l Ozark with stuff/ice and than when I lifted it I realized it wasn't that heavy even fully packed. Larger though would probably need a wheels as it may not be able to be lifted.

Maple Syrup Actual
08-29-2017, 09:04 AM
At 25l I wouldn't want wheels. You get into the 80l stuff and that's where they become pretty important to me.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Dagga Boy
08-29-2017, 11:26 AM
The reason I have a Pelican 85 instead of a Yeti 110 is wheels. Great wheels and easily moveable is huge. I have some lesser brand soft coolers for moving cold stuff myself. For keeping lots of stuff cold....again I am glad I spent the money on both the Pelican and the Raptor. I also use the Pelican as a secure locker in the truck when it is not being used as a cooler.

Maple Syrup Actual
08-29-2017, 05:51 PM
I have to admit that if I thought I could afford either of those things I would want both.

The pelican 85 would be pretty much my ideal cooler. The raptor would just be...ideal.

SeriousStudent
08-29-2017, 06:49 PM
I usually bring a big cooler full of ice and fluids to class. 'Tis a heavy beast when loaded. I don't even lift it into the car when it's loaded. I put it in the back, then load it.

Wheels are the only way to go. I am not going to rip up my back carrying something that ways that much 50-100 yards to a range.

vaglocker
08-29-2017, 08:42 PM
FYI the folding wagons you can get just about anywhere these days makes a perfect cooler carrier. Some are rated for 300lbs

ragnar_d
08-29-2017, 09:01 PM
I got the idea from a friend. I have a chest freezer upstairs. The bottom of it is lined with a layer of 2-liter soda bottles laid on their sides.
Picked that up from a podcast I listen to. The "beer fridge" in the garage has a bunch of frozen water bottles in it to help act like thermal batteries in the event of a power outage.

Not like I'm concerned about power outages for long durations of time in South FL . . . [/s]

Maple Syrup Actual
10-07-2017, 02:24 PM
I think I mentioned the cooler-cooler earlier in the thread and I was just filling it up so I thought I would post pics of my El cheapo solution:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171007/6e3c54ecd97529d558b378f8746103fc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171007/1a05fac61bf52151f9e7c54a3c76d039.jpg

Drang
04-23-2018, 03:24 AM
Necro-thread, but... Fuck Yeti.

YETI Drops NRA Foundation (https://www.nraila.org/articles/20180421/florida-alert-yeti-drops-nra-foundation)

LittleLebowski
04-23-2018, 07:36 AM

YETI Drops NRA Foundation (https://www.nraila.org/articles/20180421/florida-alert-yeti-drops-nra-foundation)

#BoycottYeti (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=BoycottYeti)

Drang
04-23-2018, 08:04 AM
When we were in Florida working on Irma, we started out triple-bagging ice from the motel to keep water cold. I bought an Ozark Trails soft cooler, the thing worked great. There would still be ice in it in the AM. I'm hardly a Wally World fanboi, but this line of goods is the goods, so to speak.

Greg
04-23-2018, 08:46 AM
Somehow, I've always managed to get by with such nonexotic coolers as Igloo Oscars and similar.

Crews
04-23-2018, 09:54 AM
As a recreational boater that may stay out for days at a time, I see a good ice chest as a worthwhile investment.

Regarding cheaper alternatives, I have tried almost all of them (other than RTIC.) While some of them hold ice almost as well, none of them have held up in physical construction nearly as well as my Yetis have. Saving a hundred bucks doesn’t always pay off depending on your use.

LSP552
04-23-2018, 10:36 AM
As a recreational boater that may stay out for days at a time, I see a good ice chest as a worthwhile investment.

Regarding cheaper alternatives, I have tried almost all of them (other than RTIC.) While some of them hold ice almost as well, none of them have held up in physical construction nearly as well as my Yetis have. Saving a hundred bucks doesn’t always pay off depending on your use.

This. Boating in S Louisiana and FL made me appreciate the Yeti in the boat. Keeps ice for days and is the prefect standing, stepping, sitting platform.

CS Tactical
04-23-2018, 02:47 PM

Just an FYI, there's much more to the story so you may want to put the pitchforks down for now... :)

No CS Tactical does not sell Yeti but our sister company does.

CS Tactical
04-23-2018, 03:11 PM
Only if it gets told. Care to share? :)

They're working their ass off on a press release...

Coyotesfan97
04-23-2018, 03:33 PM
Shouldn’t that have been done before they dropped the NRA Foundation?:confused:

CS Tactical
04-23-2018, 03:40 PM
Shouldn’t that have been done before they dropped the NRA Foundation?:confused:

Again, I'm not affiliated with them but there's two sides to the story and this forum tends to be more fact based.
Yeti really needs to make their statement ASAP...

Spartan1980
04-23-2018, 03:43 PM
They're working their ass off on a press release...

With all the angst I've seen over the forums it better be a damn good one. It does appear that they've "Zumbo'd" themselves.

CS Tactical
04-23-2018, 03:44 PM
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/31162281_10156095306930944_8809463225335676928_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=b22323ac7de15e37f255808cb66d8392&oe=5B6333A5

CS Tactical
04-23-2018, 03:56 PM
And I saw this on Snopes (Yeah I know) which is what jives with what I overheard, "We spoke with a person with knowledge of this situation, who maintained that YETI in no way severed their business relationship with the NRA Foundation or any other NRA entity, and that the only thing YETI changed was an across-the-board “legacy” discount program that was not unique to the NRA. We have not yet received a response to a request for comment from the NRA-ILA."

JDD
04-23-2018, 04:00 PM
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/31162281_10156095306930944_8809463225335676928_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=b22323ac7de15e37f255808cb66d8392&oe=5B6333A5

That seems relatively straightforward to me.

I see no contradiction between this statement, and their dropping of the NRA. Now I am not a professional, but if I was a YETI brand strategy sort of person I would be aggressively throwing support at the Second Amendment Foundation, and throwing free gear/sponsorship at events with USPSA/ISPC, GSSF, IDPA, HiPower, ect.

Otherwise we have to admit that the 2nd amendment = the NRA, and with the potential shenanigans they are up to right now (combined with their hyper partisan ties) I am not comfortable giving up that ground. The pendulum will always swing the other way politically eventually...

CS Tactical
04-23-2018, 04:35 PM
That seems relatively straightforward to me.

I see no contradiction between this statement, and their dropping of the NRA. Now I am not a professional, but if I was a YETI brand strategy sort of person I would be aggressively throwing support at the Second Amendment Foundation, and throwing free gear/sponsorship at events with USPSA/ISPC, GSSF, IDPA, HiPower, ect.

Otherwise we have to admit that the 2nd amendment = the NRA, and with the potential shenanigans they are up to right now (combined with their hyper partisan ties) I am not comfortable giving up that ground. The pendulum will always swing the other way politically eventually...

I do not see the dropping of an old discount program and offering an alternative as, "their dropping of the NRA."

Discounts and incentives change all the time in business, it doesn't mean you're dropping all business ties.

RevolverRob
04-23-2018, 05:34 PM
Given what’s been happening the past few months it might have been prudent to have handled the discontinuation of this promotional program with the NRA differently than it was with other vendors. Not saying it was necessary, just maybe prudent. [emoji4]

ETA: It might have also been prudent for the NRA to make sure it correctly understood what was going on prior to “releasing the hounds” — assuming that the info in the Yeti press release is accurate and not “spin”. Which, at this point, doesn’t really matter because the internet is going to think what the internet wants to think.

Alas, the only thing that is going to help Yeti recover from brand damage dealt by the NRA is a mea culpa from the NRA, directly. A miscommunication of this magnitude makes both parties look bad. To my mind, the onus is on the NRA to either acknowledge it made a mistake or double down and release copies of the communications from Yeti supporting its claims.

My guess is, the NRA jumped the gun. Someone didn't get the right amount of ball cupping in an email communication and rather than get on the phone and figure shit out, they decided to jump on a 21st Century Mud-Slinging contest.

If anything, if I were a brand considering being associated with the NRA, this is the type of thing that would make me back off. "So, if we decide to change a policy and the NRA doesn't like the wording or tone, we're gonna get slandered and commit brand suicide. Maybe we should just stick to other groups."

CS Tactical
04-23-2018, 05:39 PM
This is where everything originated https://www.nraila.org/articles/20180421/florida-alert-yeti-drops-nra-foundation

DATE: April 20, 2018
TO: USF & NRA Member and Friends
USF Executive Director
NRA Past President

For years YETI Coolers have been a hot item for sportsmen at the Friends of NRA Foundation Banquet and Auction events around the country.

These Foundation events raise money to support youth programs and educational programs nationwide. The youth of America who benefit from these programs are the future hunters, hikers, fishermen/women, bikers, campers, wildlife photographers, mountain climbers, sportsmen/women and conservationists who will protect our natural resources and recreational lands.

Suddenly, without prior notice, YETI has declined to do business with The NRA Foundation saying they no longer wish to be an NRA vendor, and refused to say why. They will only say they will no longer sell products to The NRA Foundation. That certainly isn't sportsmanlike. In fact, YETI should be ashamed. They have declined to continue helping America's young people enjoy outdoor recreational activities. These activities enable them to appreciate America and enjoy our natural resources with wholesome and healthy
outdoor recreational and educational programs.

The NRA Foundation is 501(c)(3) non-profit, charitable organization.

In this day and age, information is power. We thought you needed this information.

https://www.yeti.com/contact-us.html

YETI
CORPORATE OFFICE

7601 Southwest Parkway
Austin, TX 78735
1-512-394-9384

LittleLebowski
04-23-2018, 05:40 PM
Given whom I know at the NRA (many folks on here know of whom I speak of), I sincerely doubt the NRA went off half cocked. I'm betting that Yeti really dropped the ball here.

CS Tactical
04-23-2018, 05:43 PM
Given whom I know at the NRA (many folks on here know of whom I speak of), I sincerely doubt the NRA went off half cocked. I'm betting that Yeti really dropped the ball here.

Possibly, and if that is the case than I'd like to know as I have a bunch of their stuff.

LSP552
04-24-2018, 11:27 AM
This is Yeti’s response to my email stating displeasure with their NRA action.

YETI
Shop
Custom Shop
This is YETI

We're writing in response to your recent email inquiry.

A few weeks ago, YETI notified the NRA Foundation, as well as a number of other organizations, that we were eliminating a group of outdated discounting programs. When we notified the NRA Foundation and the other organizations of this change, YETI explained that we were offering them an alternative customization program broadly available to consumers and organizations, including the NRA Foundation. These facts directly contradict the inaccurate statement the NRA-ILA distributed on April 20.

Further, the NRA-ILA stated in that same public communication that "[YETI has] declined to continue helping America's young people enjoy outdoor recreational activities." Nothing is further from the truth. YETI was founded more than 10 years ago with a passion for the outdoors, and over the course of our history we have actively and enthusiastically supported hunters, anglers and the broader outdoor community. We have been devoted to and will continue to directly support causes tied to our passion for the outdoors, including by working with many organizations that promote conservation and management of wildlife resources and habitat restoration. From our website to our film footage and from our social media posts to our ambassadors, YETI has always prominently featured hunters pursuing their passions. Moreover, YETI is unwavering in our belief in and commitment to the Constitution of the United States and its Second Amendment.

Thanks for reaching out to YETI.

Logo
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Spotify
Logo
Let us help you find what you're looking for.
FAQHELP
SHIPPING + RETURNSREGISTER YOUR YETI
ACCOUNTOUR STORYCAREERS
[emoji767] 2018 YETI ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Web Version
Email sent by YETI Coolers
PO Box 163686
Austin, TX 78716
512-394-9384 | customerservice@yeti.com
Terms | Unsubscribe | Privacy Policy

RoyGBiv
04-24-2018, 02:03 PM
Emphasis is mine.

This is where everything originated https://www.nraila.org/articles/20180421/florida-alert-yeti-drops-nra-foundation

DATE: April 20, 2018
TO: USF & NRA Member and Friends
USF Executive Director
NRA Past President

For years YETI Coolers have been a hot item for sportsmen at the Friends of NRA Foundation Banquet and Auction events around the country.

These Foundation events raise money to support youth programs and educational programs nationwide. The youth of America who benefit from these programs are the future hunters, hikers, fishermen/women, bikers, campers, wildlife photographers, mountain climbers, sportsmen/women and conservationists who will protect our natural resources and recreational lands.

Suddenly, without prior notice, YETI has declined to do business with The NRA Foundation saying they no longer wish to be an NRA vendor, and refused to say why. They will only say they will no longer sell products to The NRA Foundation. That certainly isn't sportsmanlike. In fact, YETI should be ashamed. They have declined to continue helping America's young people enjoy outdoor recreational activities. These activities enable them to appreciate America and enjoy our natural resources with wholesome and healthy
outdoor recreational and educational programs.

The NRA Foundation is 501(c)(3) non-profit, charitable organization.

In this day and age, information is power. We thought you needed this information.

https://www.yeti.com/contact-us.html

YETI
CORPORATE OFFICE

7601 Southwest Parkway
Austin, TX 78735
1-512-394-9384

This is Yeti’s response to my email stating displeasure with their NRA action.

YETI
Shop
Custom Shop
This is YETI

We're writing in response to your recent email inquiry.

A few weeks ago, YETI notified the NRA Foundation, as well as a number of other organizations, that we were eliminating a group of outdated discounting programs. When we notified the NRA Foundation and the other organizations of this change, YETI explained that we were offering them an alternative customization program broadly available to consumers and organizations, including the NRA Foundation. These facts directly contradict the inaccurate statement the NRA-ILA distributed on April 20.

Further, the NRA-ILA stated in that same public communication that "[YETI has] declined to continue helping America's young people enjoy outdoor recreational activities." Nothing is further from the truth. YETI was founded more than 10 years ago with a passion for the outdoors, and over the course of our history we have actively and enthusiastically supported hunters, anglers and the broader outdoor community. We have been devoted to and will continue to directly support causes tied to our passion for the outdoors, including by working with many organizations that promote conservation and management of wildlife resources and habitat restoration. From our website to our film footage and from our social media posts to our ambassadors, YETI has always prominently featured hunters pursuing their passions. Moreover, YETI is unwavering in our belief in and commitment to the Constitution of the United States and its Second Amendment.

Thanks for reaching out to YETI.

Logo
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Spotify
Logo
Let us help you find what you're looking for.
FAQHELP
SHIPPING + RETURNSREGISTER YOUR YETI
ACCOUNTOUR STORYCAREERS
[emoji767] 2018 YETI ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Web Version
Email sent by YETI Coolers
PO Box 163686
Austin, TX 78716
512-394-9384 | customerservice@yeti.com
Terms | Unsubscribe | Privacy Policy
What motivation does the NRA have to pick on Yeti, a corporate sponsor?
How do you get from "refused to say why", to "YETI explained that we were offering them an alternative customization program".

Who do I believe? Marion Hammer FTW.

LSP552
04-24-2018, 02:08 PM
Emphasis is mine.

What motivation does the NRA have to pick on Yeti, a corporate sponsor?
How do you get from "refused to say why", to "YETI explained that we were offering them an alternative customization program".

Who do I believe? Marion Hammer FTW.

Yep! Big difference and I figure Yeti is just trying to do damage control. I own one Yeti cooler for the boat, and was in the market for another. It won’t be a Yeti.

BobLoblaw
04-24-2018, 02:17 PM
I'd be willing to bet someone (ETA: or an entire department) at Yeti is in hot water over the hate train that followed that NRA email.

BobLoblaw
04-24-2018, 02:24 PM
I'd love to know what those PR brainiacs at YETI thought they stood to gain by severing those ties. I don't see too many vintage bicycles with yeti stickers.

RoyGBiv
04-24-2018, 02:40 PM
I'd love to know what those PR brainiacs at YETI thought they stood to gain by severing those ties. I don't see too many vintage bicycles with yeti stickers.
Living in the Austin bubble... they probably thought the gains would outweigh the losses.
Apparently nobody was smart enough in Marketing to stop them and count (survey) the number of Hipster customers vs those from NRA country before showing their Social Justice Ass.

Peally
04-24-2018, 02:47 PM
Whoops.

RoyGBiv
04-24-2018, 02:50 PM
I don't FB. I found that here, but verified the Pelican FB page has the same offer.
http://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/04/23/pelican-promo-free-nra-donations-tumblers/

https://www.facebook.com/pelicancoolers/?hc_ref=ARRFZjf520pNOlcj1hgHcIkbFcgSj-lPF2S2_RsVv4F7tXmcgtbKtweMB7J_39BK9lw

idahojess
04-24-2018, 02:58 PM
I don't see too many vintage bicycles with yeti stickers.

Unless they are Yetis!

When I see Yeti, I think of mountain bikes... I didn't realize there was a cooler company named Yeti, too, until a few years ago.

https://www.yeticycles.com/tribe/company

Drang
04-24-2018, 04:11 PM
http://floridapolitics.com/archives/262052-yeti-spin-doesnt-sit-well-with-nras-marion-hammer

The Breitbart reporting on this (Former NRA President Doubles Down: Yeti Demanded NRA Cease Using Cooler Company Logo After Parkland (http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/04/24/former-nra-president-doubles-yeti-demanded-nra-cease-using-cooler-company-logo/)) adds this statement:

Hammer concluded her statement by noting, “Whether this is due to the recent cancellation of the IPO from their New York City owners is a question only they can answer.”

CS Tactical
04-24-2018, 04:28 PM
The NRA is definitely looking better in this situation right now IMO...

BobLoblaw
04-24-2018, 07:23 PM
p/Bh637WWhYC7

https://instagram.com/p/Bh637WWhYC7/

RoyGBiv
04-25-2018, 10:02 AM
YETI Flagship Store Bars Concealed and Open Carriers, Then Backtracks (http://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/03/27/yeti-flagship-store-bars-concealed-open-carriers-backtracks/)

So I called and spoke with their attorney. He said he wasn’t going to debate or discuss the issue and licensed holders are not allowed in the building. I guess they aren’t as pro gun as they say they are.

NEPAKevin
07-11-2019, 01:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OfTrpg3ZZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQhpwtqERgE

RoyGBiv
07-11-2019, 03:15 PM
Wandering through WalMart last week I saw the Ozark double wall stainless tumblers (with sippy lids) for ~$5.50/each. Picked up 2 to try out by the pool, where glass is verboten. Not only did that sucker freeze my jalapeno-garlic-stuffed olives (Costco FTW!), I had enough ice left over for a short second drink. And it was ~93F in the shade.

Winning. :cool:

TCB
07-11-2019, 04:09 PM
In case anyone is in the market for a fancy cooler that is not from YETI, Pelican Coolers (and drinkware and backpacks) (https://amzn.to/2ITDi7R) are part of the Amazon Deal of the Day and are listed at 25% off.

https://amzn.to/2ITDi7R

I have a Pelican cooler. It is awesome. Lifetime warranty and built like a tank.

Trigger
09-03-2021, 07:59 AM
Necro-post on the cooler thread.

I read this article today on coolers, thought I would share. Seems there is another option on good coolers from Cabelas.

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-coolers-5187732

Maple Syrup Actual
09-03-2021, 10:54 AM
Those Cabela's coolers are an interesting trade-off. With the moulded-in handles, they're incredibly bulky...but they're also a lot easier to lift with two guys if you have a big one full of ice. A guy I know has a big one we've filled with fish and ice a few times. It's a lot easier to manage than my Yeti knockoffs...but you do pay for it with the size.

I mentioned this brand in my boat building thread but for anyone who doesn't want to endure pages and pages of me talking about boats (or anything else) there's a cooler brand I mention halfway through: Lifetime.

I bought a Lifetime cooler at Costco for around $150 CAD or so, expecting it to be a moderately effective chinese knock-off of a Yeti. It's maybe 30-40% lighter than a Yeti so I figured it'd be okay, but not great, but I needed a cooler and was okay with something maybe a bit second-rate.

It's not. Not second-rate. Not chinese. Not moderately effective.

Apparently Lifetime are made in Utah where they started as a company moulding plastic railings and things like that. This is 100% built in the USA. The quality is excellent.

5 days, mid summer, 35C much of the time, lots of time exposed on the boat. Still about 5 lbs of ice in there after I got home.

Highly recommended.

Borderland
09-03-2021, 11:27 AM
I would run the hose till cold, then fill my cooler with cold water for a short bit before packing for the mountains, or shopping in hot weather. Nice to have residual snow banks in the mountains most of the summer to use in the cooler to keep it cold.

I normally take the cooler grocery shopping in the summer, by the time Im done shopping and get gas or any other last stops and drive home, its an hour or so. Putting a blanket, coat, or down vest over the cooler helps also. So far, still using the cheapo coolers.

Coolers help keep your food from freezing at night in the fall in the mountains.

The cool guys on the 4wd offroad forums use 12v fridges. A friend had one for his summer travels, it seemed an extravagance, but is pretty handy, even for shopping. If I can get back to camping and travelling again, Id probably get one. Cant always be in the high country with the snow banks.

I never thought of that. If anyone should know about fridges running on 12V I should. We had an RV for 5 years and a good part of the time the fridge was running on 12V. My 4R has both AC and DC receptacles in the cargo area. I'm sure a lot of new 4WD vehicles are equipped with those.

I just use the old Coleman metal coolers and get by. A block of ice will last for days in one of those.

I don't have any tats or stickers on my 4R. I don't own any Browning firearms either. Self identity must be a bitch for younger generations.

Malamute
09-03-2021, 08:50 PM
I never thought of that. If anyone should know about fridges running on 12V I should. We had an RV for 5 years and a good part of the time the fridge was running on 12V. My 4R has both AC and DC receptacles in the cargo area. I'm sure a lot of new 4WD vehicles are equipped with those.

I just use the old Coleman metal coolers and get by. A block of ice will last for days in one of those.

I don't have any tats or stickers on my 4R. I don't own any Browning firearms either. Self identity must be a bitch for younger generations.

The ones Ive seen are about the size of a medium/largish cooler, top opening, but with thicker walls (reduced internal capacity), they are powered to stay cool. Some may freeze also, but Im not familiar with the current variants. They can be moved around as needed, moved to a table for ease of use when cooking etc.

randyho
09-03-2021, 09:29 PM
Cooler security is a thing.

That is all kinds of jacked up.

AKDoug
09-03-2021, 11:22 PM
My in-laws have a Igloo 12V cooler. It's the shit for the truck or the boat. When you put food in it, all your stuff isn't soggy. I don't mind ice for drinks though. My father in-law wired in a few 12V receptacles into his RV so he could put two of those coolers on the floor while traveling. Much more food capacity than his fridge in the RV. The uncle ghetto rigged a pair of 12V receptacles into his 7-way plug in the bed of his truck to haul his 12V coolers around. They've only had them for a year, so I don't know what kind of longevity they will have.

Spartan1980
09-03-2021, 11:28 PM

I've been doing the same for years. Works for the old glass thermos bottles too so you can tell how long I've been doing it.

HCM
09-03-2021, 11:47 PM
That is all kinds of jacked up.

Mayberry was never real. My mamma didn’t raise no fool.