PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with dry fire

MikeyC
01-03-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. I'm doing dry fire drills with a GenII Glock 17. Everything is stock except for the night sights. More often than not when I'm doing dry fire practice with a shell casing on the front sight it jumps off as soon as the striker drops. There is a slight angle to the front sight, I'm not sure if this is affecting it, or if I just need to choke up my grip more. Thoughts, suggestions?

JDM
01-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Nearly impossible to diagnose without seeing you work the gun, seeing your grip, etc.

The idea of the wall drill is a perfectly executed, slow, deliberate trigger pull with no perceptible movement of the gun.

Can you get the fired case or coin to stay on the front sight before you press the trigger? It only falls off when you press the trigger?

MikeyC
01-03-2012, 09:20 PM
It stays on through the trigger press right until the striker hits.

JDM
01-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Does your front sight move as well?

MikeyC
01-04-2012, 11:29 AM
The front sight doesn't appear to move. I used a different shell casing and it works fine. Maybe I just need to chill out a little more.

JDM
01-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Maybe I just need to chill out a little more.

;)

dstocum
01-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Well, if you were using a fired case, maybe it was sitting precariously due to some deformation of the primer and the vibration from the striker falling was enough to unbalance it. *shrug* It wouldn't take much deformation to dramatically reduce the stability of the case.

TAZ
01-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Just flip the case over and press it onto your front post. It'll never fall off that way. :) Had the same thin happen and it drove me nuts trying to figure out what the heck I was doing wrong. Turned out to be a warped primer. Soon as I popped the thing out no more falling case. Well not when I do my part correct anyway.