PDA

View Full Version : Passion of the Gun: Pizza Guns Are Calling My Name!

Virtuosity Student
06-21-2017, 10:34 PM
I have been pretty dedicated to Glocks for the last couple of years and have taken several local training classes with them. I am no tier one shooter but I feel confident in my "combat accuracy" and ability to get hits on target. However, after reading 'The Passion of the Gun' and with all of the Beretta love circulating around here lately, I really have been considering letting go of one of my G17s (I have a Gen3 and a Gen4 along with a Gen4 34; I much prefer the texture and ergos of the Gen4) and giving the DA/SA Pizza gun a go.

I currently have two potential trade offers on the table and I am really trying to resist as in my heart I know I should stick to my Glock 17's. Money is tight and training/classes anytime in the foreseeable future is virtually nonexistent. This makes me trepidatious about getting a new platform and not being able to adequately train with it.

I am also aware that with both options I have before me, the sights options are limited to are what comes on the gun. (One is a 92 compact two-tone with a rail and 6 mags; the other is a M9A1 with 9 mags and holster).

Given this possible dichotomy, what other considerations might I need to consider? I feel like I need to see a shrink over this, cuz dammit I just want one, but again money is tight.

pangloss
06-21-2017, 11:06 PM
You won't have to manually cycle the slide for dry fire practice if you get a Beretta. To me, the CZ more closely resembles the Glock. In dry fire, I can switch between the Glock and CZ and the natural point of aim seems pretty interchangeable. For the Beretta, I need a little time to recalibrate. Regardless, if you think getting the Beretta will keep your interest high, then it's hard to argue against it. I like the fact that I have a 92, but honestly every time I buy a non-Glock pistol, after the initial excitement of the purchase wears off, I feel a little bit of a let down.

Duelist
06-21-2017, 11:08 PM
Money is tight, but you want to try a different gun, and you basically have three copies of the same gun. Trading off the one you like least seems a reasonable choice. If you run it for a few months and say, "meh," you can sell it and go to a training class. Or if you love it and want it to be yours forever and carry and compete with it, you can sell one of the other plastic fantastics and go to a training class. Or you can just sell the 3rd Gen and go to a training class.

Sounds like you have lots of choices.

MSparks909
06-21-2017, 11:09 PM
Would trading for a Beretta motivate you to hit the range more? You said money is tight...the obviously prudent thing would be to sell the Gen 3 17 and buy 2,000 rounds of 9mm ammo and hit the range with your remaining 17 and 34. There's nothing wrong with swapping platforms, as I've done the same thing you're contemplating (Glocks to Berettas). I'm happy I did but I spent a *lot* on holsters, spare magazines and spare parts. Was it worth it to me? Yeah. Would I do it again? Yeah. Do I still own Glocks? A few but they're mostly for my wife to shoot (No, really; I've let a few go the past week!)

Of those options I would take the M9A1, order a Wilson rear battlesight, a Wilson 14# hammer spring and a factory Beretta extended magazine release. Paint the front sight dot orange and you would have a very sweet blaster on your hands for not a ton of money. If you're feeling fancy update the grips down the road. Also recommend the 18 round Mec-Gar mags if you go this route.

ReverendMeat
06-21-2017, 11:46 PM
^What MSparks said. And even if you don't decide to switch over entirely learning the DA/SA trigger will not hurt, and likely help your Glock shooting.

And instead of the Wilson hammer spring I'd do the D-spring/TRS/steel trigger combo from BUSA along with their extended mag release. Consider the G conversion too.

KCBRUIN
06-22-2017, 01:11 AM
I vote for rent a Beretta at a local range a couple times to get your fix. Save your money until you can buy one without trading any guns in. I've regretted every gun I've ever sold or traded in.

GardoneVT
06-22-2017, 01:21 AM
This is a tough thing to post as a Beretta fan,but objectively you should pass on this deal. Moneys tight,and there's no getting around the reality that the DA/SA trigger involves a training "tax". If a Beretta is to be your primary gun it has to be your focus for however long it takes you to get comfortable with DA -and you have to shoot it as well if not better then single action,because that's the first shot you get out of the holster.

You also have to get comfy decocking the gun,and for many this is an ergonomic deal breaker. If reaching the slide safety is difficult or uncomfortable ,you won't be happy at a 1,000 round class.

Fordtough25
06-22-2017, 04:07 AM
I say go for it, that m9a1 would be a sweet blaster. You're getting a holster and enough mags with it to have a good start so that's not an issue. If you don't have a snap cap get one and dry fire with the beretta for free to your hearts content.

Boxy
06-22-2017, 05:12 AM
If money is tight then trading a gun is a loss in value. Wait until you have the cash. Connect with a local buddy who has an M9 and will let you run it.

Cory
06-22-2017, 07:02 AM
If I were in your shoes I would wait. I'm not saying don't get a Beretta, I'm just saying not yet. I'm actually really wanting to break into Berettas as well, but like you money is tight.

There is also the fact that sometime, Ernest Langdon's 92 will be coming out. Imagine an M9A1 that you could change the sights out on, and it just happens to have a boatload of other features that one of the worlds top Beretta shooters thinks are important. I'm betting on 2018 at this point, but when it comes out you're going to want one. So maybe hold out and get a better gun that's coming. Your finances might change between now and then as well.

-Cory

GuanoLoco
06-22-2017, 07:11 AM
CZ over Beretta for DA/SA - lots of options and price points and can be incrementally taken as far as you want to go.

See Cajun Gun Works.

Glock far more economical/ubiquitous but Glock. If you are cash strapped it may be an adventure for later in life.

Hambo
06-22-2017, 07:45 AM
I feel like I need to see a shrink over this, cuz dammit I just want one, but again money is tight.

Trade the unwanted Glock for therapy. ;) Despite all the "stick with one gun" seriousness, it's OK to want or buy something different...just because. You don't need to justify it to yourself or anyone else. It's still 'Merica, after all.

Robinson
06-22-2017, 08:01 AM
A couple years back I did some experimenting with a M9A1. I installed a D spring, a metal guide rod and a metal trigger. It was a very good shooting pistol. The reason I decided not to keep it was my thumb is just not long enough to manipulate the safety. I was always decocking and then moving the safety back to the Off position with my left thumb. It was actually easier and quicker for me to decock by lowering the hammer with my right thumb. A G model style decocker probably would have helped. Overall I liked the M9A1 a lot though. I always thought the 92G-SD would be a sweet gun to own/use.

warpedcamshaft
06-22-2017, 08:26 AM
I have been pretty dedicated to Glocks for the last couple of years and have taken several local training classes with them. I am no tier one shooter but I feel confident in my "combat accuracy" and ability to get hits on target. However, after reading 'The Passion of the Gun' and with all of the Beretta love circulating around here lately, I really have been considering letting go of one of my G17s (I have a Gen3 and a Gen4 along with a Gen4 34; I much prefer the texture and ergos of the Gen4) and giving the DA/SA Pizza gun a go.

I currently have two potential trade offers on the table and I am really trying to resist as in my heart I know I should stick to my Glock 17's. Money is tight and training/classes anytime in the foreseeable future is virtually nonexistent. This makes me trepidatious about getting a new platform and not being able to adequately train with it.

I am also aware that with both options I have before me, the sights options are limited to are what comes on the gun. (One is a 92 compact two-tone with a rail and 6 mags; the other is a M9A1 with 9 mags and holster).

Given this possible dichotomy, what other considerations might I need to consider? I feel like I need to see a shrink over this, cuz dammit I just want one, but again money is tight.

Do you carry concealed, or just home defense/training?

BigT
06-22-2017, 08:38 AM
Assuming ones shooting bad people in the face, gun needs are met. Life is too short to only own guns based on pure practicality. Get the new toy and enjoy a gun that you like. You've got your plastic people popper(tm Tam) needs covered by the looks of things. I also take the slightly contrarian view that shooting different guns makes you shoot guns in general better.

MSparks909
06-22-2017, 09:16 AM
It was actually easier and quicker for me to decock by lowering the hammer with my right thumb.

OP, if you get a Beretta, don't ever do this.

MSparks909
06-22-2017, 09:18 AM
CZ over Beretta for DA/SA - lots of options and price points and can be incrementally taken as far as you want to go.

See Cajun Gun Works.

I think that's a personal preference type argument

Hambo
06-22-2017, 09:34 AM

Yeah, that's not cool. The issue of whether you can manipulate controls is a great reason to rent before buying.

call_me_ski
06-22-2017, 09:36 AM
Yeah, that's not cool. The issue of whether you can manipulate controls is a great reason to rent before buying.

I saw an otherwise experienced NCO put a round between the legs of another Marine stupidly doing that. Thank god it was on the range and no one was hurt. There is no logical reason to manually decock a Beretta and it needlessly introduces the potential for an ND. Use the safety features on your pistol, the other people on the range will thank you for it.

Hambo
06-22-2017, 09:38 AM
I saw an otherwise experienced NCO put a round between the legs of another Marine stupidly doing that.

That had to be exciting in a "clean your shorts" kind of way.

call_me_ski
06-22-2017, 09:46 AM
That had to be exciting in a "clean your shorts" kind of way.

I wish it was the worst story I had about gun handling in the military. Hell, it isn't even the worst concerning the M9.

Thankfully(unfortunately maybe) I wasn't present for a lot of them and merely had to deal with the aftermath and AAR. One of them in particular should have been easily prevented had someone else been present that could have pointed out the stupidity of what was transpiring.

Robinson
06-22-2017, 10:33 AM

Guys, please don't view my post as an endorsement of decocking pistols by manually lowering the hammer. I was simply using that to make a point.

EVP
06-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Did not read all the posts.

If you have to ask a gun forum to get the green light, then you should probably pass and do the logical and smart thing and stick with your Glocks.

If money is tight right now then you should definitely stick with your Glocks.

You can always pick up a Beretta down the road when things change. Don't let the gun of the month sway you away from something that works. It will cost you in either training, money, and time.

STI
06-22-2017, 01:21 PM
Did not read all the posts.

If you have to ask a gun forum to get the green light, then you should probably pass and do the logical and smart thing

Condescending imo. There's a lot of SMEs and really smart people here to give thoughtful input.

45dotACP
06-22-2017, 02:31 PM
Also a Beretta Fanboy here suggesting you stay with Glock if money's tight.

The cost of the gun is only the beginning. Five magazines (my standard) is about a 100-150 at least...a carry holster is another 60...another 40 for a mag pouch or two...a 30 dollar cheap OWB holster for gaming...

Thats not even going into updating the gun.

Believe me...I'm converting over to Beretta. It's 'spensive and I bought a cheap police trade in 92FS as my secondary gun. I'm only doing so because I can afford to at this point. Otherwise I'd have stuck with Glock.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ReverendMeat
06-22-2017, 03:08 PM
CZ over Beretta for DA/SA

why

DallasBronco
06-22-2017, 04:33 PM
I say go for it. You are getting a pretty nice starter kit with that M9A1 package; 9 mags and a holster will have you well-equipped for quite a while. As someone else said, experience with DA/SA will probably also be of benefit when shooting the Glock.

45dotACP
06-22-2017, 06:43 PM
I say go for it. You are getting a pretty nice starter kit with that M9A1 package; 9 mags and a holster will have you well-equipped for quite a while. As someone else said, experience with DA/SA will probably also be of benefit when shooting the Glock.

Well, the DA/SA transition isn't all that difficult. I adapted to it in a 50 round box of ammo and two weeks of dry fire. Working a smooth, continuous trigger press is always of benefit though and a DA/SA certainly demands that.

Bigghoss
06-22-2017, 07:00 PM
You'll have to decide if getting rid of the Gen3 is something you might regret down the road but they are easily replaceable and will probably get cheaper in the next couple years. Even if you do get a Beretta it doesn't have to become your main gun right away if ever. You can get the gun just to have and enjoy but stick with Glock as your main platform for anything serious. I have a bunch of different guns in the safe but I only focus on a very select few to be proficient with. The rest only get brought out for fun and so I don't need to buy 10 mags and holsters and sights and everything for each gun. I might get all that eventually but I make sure my chosen platform gets squared away first.

Virtuosity Student
06-22-2017, 10:51 PM
Thanks everyone for your thought provocation. To clear up, I have replaced the Gen3 with my Gen4 as my primary carry and have been considering moving the Gen3 for another Gen4 anyway. Plus, I have the 34 already and thought this may be a time to expand my familiarity beyond Glocks. If this was just a stock M9 it may be easier to walk away from but the fact it comes with almost as many mags as I have for my 3 Glocks and a kydex holder, it seems like the perfect "Try Me" package. I figure worst case is I could alway sell it for more than what a Blue Label Glock runs which is also probably more than I could sell a used Gen3 with XS Big Dots. I think this is called confirmation bias, lol.

Coal Train
06-23-2017, 06:57 AM
It seems to me like a reasonable trade that will "scratch the itch" so to speak. But, there is nothing wrong with shooting the Beretta just because you enjoy shooting it or shooting something different. In other words, you don't have to train with it/take classes/etc. until you can match your level of performance with the Glock. Unless of course you just want to.

I really enjoy shooting my P226 and every few months after a range trip or dry fire session with it I'll think, "you should start carrying the P226 again. If you spent more focused time practicing with it your performance will probably be better than with the G19." Then I pull my my holster for it and put it on and after a bit I remember that it is heavier than my G19. It requires more thought on clothing choices for concealment than my G19. And then I remember why I carry the G19 and the P226 goes back in the safe. :)

You might find the same when you try the Beretta but you'll probably still enjoy shooting it.

DallasBronco
06-23-2017, 07:52 AM
Well, the DA/SA transition isn't all that difficult. I adapted to it in a 50 round box of ammo and two weeks of dry fire. Working a smooth, continuous trigger press is always of benefit though and a DA/SA certainly demands that.
I was just pointing out that there didn't seem to be a downside to the trade given his desires. I'm a hammer guy myself.

GuanoLoco
06-23-2017, 07:43 PM
why

# of options for out-of-the box configs, # of aftermarket parts, upgrades from simple to top-of the line competition, availability of used stock/upgraded guns.