PDA

View Full Version : Checking my thinking on single stack 9

Jared
06-18-2017, 12:35 PM
I'm thinking of switching to a single stack 9mm (G43) to do most, maybe all, of the jobs I've been using a J frame for.

About once a month or so, I end up in a set of clothes or a place where I'm belt carrying a 642.
The best example I can give is that my wife has a large family and they get together frequently. Since they seem to be big on hugs, I don't like to carry my normal gun. It's not that her parents care that I'm carrying, they know and don't care, it's just that I don't want to wind up finding out all of her family's views on concealed carry because someone pulled my shirt just right or grabbed me in one of those hugs aunt's seem to like to give.

So I've been using the J frame for that and other situations where I can't conceal my normal carry gun as well as I'd like. I'm​ thinking of going to a G43 for these applications because it'd share carry ammo with my normal gun, so only one caliber to buy. I'm also under the impression that 9mm outperforms 38 Special also. I'd say it'll be easier to shoot as well. I'm sure Tom will have a Gadget out for it in the future, and that's a big plus for me. I can get a much better set of sights for the little Glock than I can my 642.

About the only thing I'm not sure about is whether it can do the other J frame job, which is be in my outside coat pocket in the winter, but I'm willing to try it and see how it works there too. If that works well, I won't need the J at all.

So I'm asking the board if there's any huge holes in my logic that I haven't considered, and if anyone else here has done the same thing and how it's working out overall.

OnionsAndDragons
06-18-2017, 01:01 PM
If pocket duty is on the roster, I still think the J is best.

For all your other applications I agree that a slim 9 like the G43 or a PPS is a great option.

I'm still a fan of the J for a backup and pocket gun for the contact and fouling protection the action offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beat Trash
06-18-2017, 01:09 PM
The only reason I haven't sold off my S&W 642 is for exterior coat pocket carry during exceptionally cold days. (Apparently global warming will fix that, as we haven't had a "Real Winter" in two years.)

For belt carry, my M&P Shield has replaced my J-Frames for low profile belt carry. I'd feel as comfortable using a Glock 43 also. Thinner than the 642. Easier to shoot. Easier to reload. Easier to carry a reload. Better sights. Better ballistics.

Jared
06-18-2017, 01:24 PM
If pocket duty is on the roster, I still think the J is best.

For all your other applications I agree that a slim 9 like the G43 or a PPS is a great option.

I'm still a fan of the J for a backup and pocket gun for the contact and fouling protection the action offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pocket carry for me is exactly what Beat Trash describes, outside coat pocket on cold, really cold, days. Otherwise, I just can't get to a happy place with pocket carry. I may very well keep using the 642 in that application.

Jared
06-18-2017, 01:26 PM
The only reason I haven't sold off my S&W 642 is for exterior coat pocket carry during exceptionally cold days. (Apparently global warming will fix that, as we haven't had a "Real Winter" in two years.)

For belt carry, my M&P Shield has replaced my J-Frames for low profile belt carry. I'd feel as comfortable using a Glock 43 also. Thinner than the 642. Easier to shoot. Easier to reload. Easier to carry a reload. Better sights. Better ballistics.

I looked at both the Shield and the 43, I just couldn't manage the Shield trigger dry fire near as well as I could the 43, so I picked based on trigger and future Gadget availability. Glad to hear that your thinking mirrors mine in the other aspects.

ETA: what holster are you having the best luck with for your Shield?

DocGKR
06-18-2017, 01:36 PM
For me, a lightweight .38 sp J-frame is better for pocket or ankle carry; a sub-compact 9 mm pistol (something like a G43 or Shield) is probably superior for most other uses.

For me I don't notice an appreciable difference in "concealability" when carrying a more effective compact pistol (G19 or M&P9c size) AIWB, so I don't use sub-compacts--of course I dress like an adult and don't wear skinny jeans and a tight T-shirt...

DallasBronco
06-18-2017, 01:39 PM
I use my G43 exclusively for pocket carry. It has replaced the J frame for me in that role.

M2CattleCo
06-18-2017, 01:46 PM
G43 with a reload or two is my primary.

I carry AIWB in a JM, IWB @3:30 in a VMII, OWB in a Raven Phantom, in the boot with a Raven Vanguard.

I used to be a big 442 guy, but the 43 took its place. Outside coat pocket is the only thing I could see a J frame doing better than a 43.

Totem Polar
06-18-2017, 02:38 PM
Others have covered it pretty well. I'll add that I am happily quasi-living "the j-frame lifestyle" only without the j-frame. I just sold my last 642. The G43 is just so much easier to shoot. Sights, ammo performance/compatibility, capacity (the difference between 5 and 7 is much greater than the difference between, say, 15 and 17... my elementary math teacher was incorrect), upcoming gadget... you've already covered it in your OP, OP.

JMO.

ETA: my G43s have also matched my G26s in reliability so far, which is to say perfectly acceptable; they're my best Glocks to date in that regard. Not that I'm an expert or Glock power user compared to many here, but I've been sold on the 26 for a while now.

Nephrology
06-18-2017, 03:05 PM
Add me to the chorus. I own a J frame and 2 S&W Shields. Like you I have the Shield for places where carrying is legally allowed but socially undesirable. I mostly use the Shield as belt line gun that is extremely low profile - the thing basically evaporates. Even though in the same clothes I would have no problem carrying a Glock 26 or a Glock 19 to the grocery store or to some social functions, there are other environments where the social cost of "being made" is too high and I opt for the Shield instead.

Given that you're looking at pocket carry, I think you're on the right track with the G43. It looks like the smaller pistol overall and thus a better fit for your intended use. Having just shot the Shield and the Glock 26 side by side, the doublestack definitely shoots more like a fullsize gun, but it's by no means punishing.

As for the fate of your J frame ... well, if it's a no-lock variant and/or if it's well proven to you and/or has any sentimental value, I'd hold onto it. I generally don't sell guns as a rule unless it becomes painfully obvious they just aren't going to work out for me. Worst case scenario you have a good loaner for a friend in need, or a J frame to keep yourself familiar with the pocket revolver, etc. Unless there's a pressing need for the cash I'd just hang onto it. If none of the above hold true, move it along.

okie john
06-18-2017, 03:16 PM
I agree with all of the thinking on the G43.

As for holster, I'd go with a SmartCarry. If anyone touches that during a hug, then the fact that you're armed will not be the main topic of any resulting conversation.

Okie John

camsdaddy
06-18-2017, 03:51 PM
I changed jobs recently so my needs have also changed. I have a shield and a 43 that I lean to if going to belt carry. I have carried my 43 in my pocket quite a bit but have never gotten as comfortable with it in my pocket as my model 60. I have carried my model 60 j frame the past two weeks and it simply works. With the heat and humidity and level of activity I decided to go a little lighter and just received a 442 for Father's Day.

Jared
06-18-2017, 09:18 PM
Add me to the chorus. I own a J frame and 2 S&W Shields. Like you I have the Shield for places where carrying is legally allowed but socially undesirable. I mostly use the Shield as belt line gun that is extremely low profile - the thing basically evaporates. Even though in the same clothes I would have no problem carrying a Glock 26 or a Glock 19 to the grocery store or to some social functions, there are other environments where the social cost of "being made" is too high and I opt for the Shield instead.

Given that you're looking at pocket carry, I think you're on the right track with the G43. It looks like the smaller pistol overall and thus a better fit for your intended use. Having just shot the Shield and the Glock 26 side by side, the doublestack definitely shoots more like a fullsize gun, but it's by no means punishing.

As for the fate of your J frame ... well, if it's a no-lock variant and/or if it's well proven to you and/or has any sentimental value, I'd hold onto it. I generally don't sell guns as a rule unless it becomes painfully obvious they just aren't going to work out for me. Worst case scenario you have a good loaner for a friend in need, or a J frame to keep yourself familiar with the pocket revolver, etc. Unless there's a pressing need for the cash I'd just hang onto it. If none of the above hold true, move it along.

Not planning on selling the 642 or it's 442 stablemate no matter how well the G43 idea works out. They're both no-lock models and I've had them a good while. Shooting the little suckers has been good trigger control practice for sure. Hell, if my employer keeps working me overtime at the current rate, I'll be able to buy two G43's and ten more mags before the summers over, along with holsters and new sights, lol.

OnionsAndDragons
06-18-2017, 11:48 PM
I looked at both the Shield and the 43, I just couldn't manage the Shield trigger dry fire near as well as I could the 43, so I picked based on trigger and future Gadget availability. Glad to hear that your thinking mirrors mine in the other aspects.

ETA: what holster are you having the best luck with for your Shield?

I believe that the Dark Star Gear clip on holster is at the top of the heap for single stack 9s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frank R
06-19-2017, 12:34 AM
For pocket carry, it's the Ruger LCR 327 Fed. Mag. for me. If using a holster, it's a Shield or Sig P320 SC.