PDA

View Full Version : .22LR Pistol for DA/SA (Sig) Primary

jlieu
06-17-2017, 05:33 PM
Hi all,

Wife and I usually carry and shoot with DA/SA pistols, namely Sig Sauer P226 & P229.

We were looking to add some .22LR Semi-Auto pistols as trainer pistols (and supplement regular shooter to reduce long-term ammo costs).

I was looking at the Browning Buck Marks or Ruger Mark III/IV series...though wife was concerned about the single-action being different from the DA/SA we're used to.

If limited to DA/SA, I believe the best choices left would be the Ruger SR22 or Walther P22...which are more or less equivalent to each other.

For you DA/SA users out there...any thoughts regarding the impact of using the SA .22LR vs a DA/SA .22LR pistol?

GJM
06-17-2017, 06:13 PM
Why not a Sig .22 top end for your centerfire P series pistols?

jeep45238
06-17-2017, 08:58 PM
My understanding is that the uppers are being discontinued and the only way to get one is buy a .22 226 or hold out for a used one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jared
06-17-2017, 10:52 PM
I don't have a very high opinion of the Walther P22, so of the two you mentioned, the Ruger gets my vote. But neither is very good for a trainer for a full size gun. SR22 makes a cool plinker for sure, but it's small size limits it's value as a 22 trainer for a big gun, at least, that was my experience when I tried this very thing 5 or so years ago.

I shoot Berettas, and I bought o e of their 22 top ends. That worked pretty well. I'd say stick with the 22/45, and learn the DA pull in dry fire and by focusing on it when you shoot the main gun.

jlieu
06-17-2017, 10:55 PM
Why not a Sig .22 top end for your centerfire P series pistols?

I thought that too...in fact, I also thought of getting a .40 S&W slide & barrel as well. Turns out, wife hates conversions. :confused:

She told me if I wanted a .40 S&W, I needed to go buy a dedicated .40 S&W. :cool:

In any case, so now we're back on the .22 predicament, haha.

GJM
06-17-2017, 11:44 PM
I thought that too...in fact, I also thought of getting a .40 S&W slide & barrel as well. Turns out, wife hates conversions. :confused:

She told me if I wanted a .40 S&W, I needed to go buy a dedicated .40 S&W. :cool:

In any case, so now we're back on the .22 predicament, haha.

It is very important to listen to your wife, except when it is very important not to.

jeep45238
06-17-2017, 11:47 PM
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/798681414284?upc_only=1&mobile=true

jlieu
06-18-2017, 09:02 AM
It is very important to listen to your wife, except when it is very important not to.

Haha. It may be a trap though...

spinmove_
06-18-2017, 09:07 AM
Haha. It may be a trap though...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Sometimes you might as well give her a reason if she's just going to be pissed off at you...

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

hufnagel
06-18-2017, 09:13 AM
I love my Ruger SR22, but my Beretta M9-22 sees more action these days. No worries, the kid has claimed the SR22 as his already. :D

AMC
06-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Hadn't heard they were discontinuing the Sig .22 conversions. But OP, with your stated parameters, why not just get a .22 226? As for keeping the wife happy....yeah, that's important, but unless I was married to Julie Golob or Jessie Duff, I wouldn't be taking firearms advice from them. Who's the "original shooter" in the family? Was this her hobby, or yours? Nothing wrong with buying a new .40 pistol, but....are we talking about her gun, or yours? I just don't get it.

taadski
06-18-2017, 02:03 PM
IMO, If you're looking for a .22 to replicate the P series pistols, your best option, by a long shot, is one of the factory conversion kits (or the complete pistol). Mine is quite reliable and very accurate with an assortment of bulk ammunition offerings.

I own a couple 22/45s. They are exquisitely easy to shoot, are absolute tack drivers and are some of the most reliable .22 pistols I've found. But for me they don't replicate the Sigs very well.

The conversions are currently available from Sig and elsewhere. I'd not heard they were going away if that's the case.

jeep45238
06-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Lgs said no go with the 22 top end, and they're pretty straight shooters. Might just be a no go with their distributors.

AMC
06-18-2017, 03:25 PM
Lgs said no go with the 22 top end, and they're pretty straight shooters. Might just be a no go with their distributors.

Just checked SIG's website......conversion kits for both 226 and 229 showing in stock. Only the 226 kit with threaded barrel is out of stock.

ca survivor
06-19-2017, 06:13 PM
if you want to have more target time get a .22, for SD training stay at least with the 9mm, save the money some place else like targets reloading etc.

jlieu
07-02-2017, 09:34 PM
IMO, If you're looking for a .22 to replicate the P series pistols, your best option, by a long shot, is one of the factory conversion kits (or the complete pistol). Mine is quite reliable and very accurate with an assortment of bulk ammunition offerings.

I own a couple 22/45s. They are exquisitely easy to shoot, are absolute tack drivers and are some of the most reliable .22 pistols I've found. But for me they don't replicate the Sigs very well.

The conversions are currently available from Sig and elsewhere. I'd not heard they were going away if that's the case.

Awesome, thanks!

I believe I've finally been able to convince her to go with the Sig conversion route. Worst case scenario, we buy a used P229 and put the .22LR conversion slide and barrel on it as a 'permanent' setup.

Thanks!