PDA

View Full Version : Learning to love the J-frame (M&P 340)

Lyonsgrid
06-16-2017, 09:28 PM
I recently got this new M&P 340. I was on the fence for months on which J-frame to go with for dedicated back-up, ankle carry. The 442 was tempting due to price and the fact that I have no desire to practice with and carry .357. But in the end, the M&P 340 won out for two reasons, better sights and lighter weight.

So far I really like this little 5 shot. I went with the Galco Ankle Glove and was surprised with how comfortable this combo is from the start. I was expecting a lot more annoyance since I’m new to ankle carry.

Only gripe so far is the stock grips interfere with the Safariland Comp 1 speedloaders. I like the idea of a laser fitted J-frames and would like to know if anyone can give me a definitive answer if the Crimson Trace LG-105’s will work with Comp 1 speedloaders.

So far, only 50 rounds fired but the Federal 147 gr +P+ Hydra-Shok JHP (P38HS2G) hits POA/POI. I hear finding a round that hits true to the sights can be tough sometimes with J-frames. So I’m leaning towards carrying this round. It also helps to have a large amount put away.

Leroy Suggs
06-16-2017, 09:51 PM
Very nice pistol!
I know you will enjoy it.

HCM
06-16-2017, 11:08 PM
Unless you have no other choice, I would look hard at 135 grain Gold Dot vas the hydra shok.

scott
06-16-2017, 11:43 PM
I've got a 342 and a 60 with LG-105s. HKS-36 speedloaders clear them just barely (sometimes they hang a bit if the angle isn't just right on the model 60. Never on the 342, or on the 442 when it was wearing a set of 105s, don't know why). The comp1s are smaller than the HKS by a little bit, so I think you'll be okay.

Frank R
06-17-2017, 12:11 AM
HKS 36-A works.

Nephrology
06-17-2017, 08:40 AM
Very nice. I have a no lock 442 with CT laser grips that I bought LNIB maybe 4-5 years ago for $285. I don't often leave the house with it but it makes a great pocket carry option when I am doing yardwork or the like. That said you were probably wise to go with the model with decent sights - the laser washes out pretty badly in the 300 days of intense sunshine we have out here in CO.

Beat Trash
06-17-2017, 08:44 AM
I would also try some of the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr or Winchester 130 gr bonded ammunition. I have a no-lock 642 that has been semi retired and is my grass cutting gun.

If I were in the market for a new J-Frame, I would get a M&P 340. Just for the sights.

OlongJohnson
06-17-2017, 08:53 AM
You can always shave the rubber a little bit to make more space. Razor blades, files and sandpaper all work.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-17-2017, 09:14 AM
I mentioned before that the red laser CTs wash out pretty quicky in the bright sun. Looking for the dot is a waste of time in those conditions.

HCM
06-17-2017, 09:59 AM
I mentioned before that the red laser CTs wash out pretty quicky in the bright sun. Looking for the dot is a waste of time in those conditions.

Laser aside, I find I shoot my 340 better with LG-405's than with the factory grips.

Sherman A. House DDS
06-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Take the OEM stocks off, and put them in the freezer for several hours. Then, take an emery board to them. Keep the unloaded gun handy to test fit. Once you're satisfied they'll clear, use a fine piece of sandpaper to clean it up. Voila...custom stocks.

I've not had good luck with the CT grips for J frames stating zeroed. I've had 105's, 305's and 405's all take a walk on me with daily wear and rigorous activity. I still don't trust them. I wish CT would do a good rendition of them with a SME input, to come up with something workable and sturdy, for that gun's intended role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCM
06-17-2017, 01:13 PM
Take the OEM stocks off, and put them in the freezer for several hours. Then, take an emery board to them. Keep the unloaded gun handy to test fit. Once you're satisfied they'll clear, use a fine piece of sandpaper to clean it up. Voila...custom stocks.

I've not had good luck with the CT grips for J frames stating zeroed. I've had 105's, 305's and 405's all take a walk on me with daily wear and rigorous activity. I still don't trust them. I wish CT would do a good rendition of them with a SME input, to come up with something workable and sturdy, for that gun's intended role.

I don't really use the laser. The 405s just fit my hand much better because the are bigger front to back but stil slim and compact like boot grips.

The little bit of cushion on the back help with hotter loads as well.

LtDave
06-17-2017, 03:22 PM
I would also try some of the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr or Winchester 130 gr bonded ammunition. I have a no-lock 642 that has been semi retired and is my grass cutting gun.

If I were in the market for a new J-Frame, I would get a M&P 340. Just for the sights.

My '60's vintage Model 37 likes the Speer load. My 342Ti shoots the Winchester better. Both a little low and a little right for windage. About 2" groups at 15 yards. In one set of tests on the Luckygunner site, the Winchester seemed to expand more consistently than the Speer in gel testing out of a 2". Those sights on the 340 are nice.

LtDave
06-17-2017, 03:32 PM
IMHO the best J frame grips are the wood Craig Spegel boot grips. The Uncle Mike's rubber version is a close second and what I use on my ankle carry gun. Both clear speedloaders. All my other J frames have the wood Spegels. Finding the originals is getting harder and more expensive. Craig is still making the wooden ones, but with a long backlog. The Uncle Mikes version is also out of production but less expensive and easier to find. Both show up on eBay.

The wood ones on my 342Ti:

Frank R
06-18-2017, 12:43 AM
Ammunition wise, I prefer the Corbon DPX 110gr. +P for the snubby.

fwrun
06-18-2017, 05:23 AM
I can definitively say the LG105 is non-sympatico with Safariland Comp I's. I went and purchased a set of Magna grips, paired with a Tyler T, and its a very shootable set up for me (M640-1, here, but I formerly used it on a 642 as well.), and the Comp I's clear fine.

Regarding ammuntion, I am probably in the minority here. Wadcutters in the cylinder. My reload is a Comp I full of the Federal or Remington "Treasury Load" (110gr +p+).

Very old school, but I find it works for me. I went this route after using a J with LG105's and Gold Dots for several years.

HCM
06-18-2017, 10:41 AM
I can definitively say the LG105 is non-sympatico with Safariland Comp I's. I went and purchased a set of Magna grips, paired with a Tyler T, and its a very shootable set up for me (M640-1, here, but I formerly used it on a 642 as well.), and the Comp I's clear fine.

Regarding ammuntion, I am probably in the minority here. Wadcutters in the cylinder. My reload is a Comp I full of the Federal or Remington "Treasury Load" (110gr +p+).

Very old school, but I find it works for me. I went this route after using a J with LG105's and Gold Dots for several years.

When I retire, I will carry wadcutters or at least a non +P load in my J frame. They are a good choice. For now, agency issues and mandates Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +P.

I favor speed strips over speed loaders. For the bulk of a speed loader I can almost carry another J frame.

blues
06-18-2017, 10:53 AM
When I retire, I will carry wadcutters or at least a non +P load in my J frame. They are a good choice. For now, agency issues and mandates Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +P.

I favor speed strips over speed loaders. For the bulk of a speed loader I can almost carry another J frame.

Agree about speed strips over speed loaders. Just never liked the bulk nor depending on it not having a malfunction at a critical moment.

I've not shot the Speer +P offering but I don't find the Winchester Ranger RA38B +P rounds to be objectionable.
(I practice primarily with American Eagle 130gr FMJ)

DocGKR
06-18-2017, 01:25 PM
My LG105's seem to work fine with Safariland speed loaders.

Danno
06-18-2017, 02:41 PM
That's a great looking revolver. Best of luck with it

SamAdams
06-18-2017, 10:42 PM
I have a no-lock 642 that has been semi retired and is my grass cutting gun.

Wow ! You must be broke by the time your lawn is done.

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

Lester Polfus
06-18-2017, 11:29 PM

The lawn must be nicely aerated though...

Irelander
06-19-2017, 08:41 AM
Great choice for a j-frame, Lyonsgrid. I went with a 642 and am really enjoying it. Looks like you are all set with reloads. I have a Comp-I but it is too bulky and I need to get some speed strips to try out. Looks like 6-round strips loaded with 4 is the common reload setup.

Beat Trash
06-19-2017, 09:12 AM

Saves on gas though...

asr34
06-19-2017, 09:30 AM
My 340 has been my BUG and a secondary daily carry for about 7 years. I'm really happy with it. The trigger really smooths out after a while. Also, despite the light weight, the felt recoil isn't bad. Great gun and you won't be disappointed.

357carbine
06-23-2017, 01:07 PM
Thought this (https://loadoutroom.com/28205/weapon-choice-embedded-human-intel-assets/) was an interesting read.

blues
06-23-2017, 04:47 PM
If you can't appreciate a J frame you gotta hole in your soul.

Lester Polfus
06-23-2017, 05:25 PM
If you can't appreciate a J frame you gotta hole in your soul.

I can't tell you the amount of money and time I've spent trying to find a small autoloader to fill the J-Frame niche for me. I would really like to have all my carry guns be 9mm autoloaders, in one format for another, but I keep arriving at the conclusion that a J works for me in certain roles better than anything else.

blues
06-23-2017, 06:01 PM
I can't tell you the amount of money and time I've spent trying to find a small autoloader to fill the J-Frame niche for me. I would really like to have all my carry guns be 9mm autoloaders, in one format for another, but I keep arriving at the conclusion that a J works for me in certain roles better than anything else.

Couldn't agree more. I've been down that road myself. The 642 isn't going out without a fight.

Dagga Boy
06-24-2017, 07:12 AM
I have several M&P 340's and am basically never without one these days. For me, they are the ultimate Rule 1 gun of "have a gun". My custom Ti cylinder one is the perfect house shorts gun at 11 ounces with my goal to keep its round count at exactly five. The other two are daily carry as back up pocket guns. One is at Robar now getting the cylinder and internals NP3'd. I like the small J's as pocket guns/back ups because they are good for everything my primary carry semi auto's are not. Seems to make sense for the secondary gun to not have any of the issues as why you may need to go to it.

I have a 640 at Ted Yost's place right now. Should make a great shooter and in the airweight's, my 642 Power Port is another favorite, especially for actually taking out and shooting. Chuck Haggard really got me convinced on the benefits of a pocket J frame and countering a robbery attempt with a M&P 340 because my hand was gripping the pistol in my pocket basically anchored it for me as a proven concept.

UNK
06-24-2017, 10:48 AM
I have several M&P 340's and am basically never without one these days. For me, they are the ultimate Rule 1 gun of "have a gun". My custom Ti cylinder one is the perfect house shorts gun at 11 ounces with my goal to keep its round count at exactly five. The other two are daily carry as back up pocket guns. One is at Robar now getting the cylinder and internals NP3'd. I like the small J's as pocket guns/back ups because they are good for everything my primary carry semi auto's are not. Seems to make sense for the secondary gun to not have any of the issues as why you may need to go to it.

I have a 640 at Ted Yost's place right now. Should make a great shooter and in the airweight's, my 642 Power Port is another favorite, especially for actually taking out and shooting. Chuck Haggard really got me convinced on the benefits of a pocket J frame and countering a robbery attempt with a M&P 340 because my hand was gripping the pistol in my pocket basically anchored it for me as a proven concept.

For me the million dollar question is...did you ever finish that article on the J Frame Lifestyle? I really really really wanna read that.

Dagga Boy
06-24-2017, 11:09 AM
For me the million dollar question is...did you ever finish that article on the J Frame Lifestyle? I really really really wanna read that.

It is part of a series. Yep, finished a long time ago and just waiting for the publisher to find a place in a magazine. My stuff is not popular for most magazines because it is not review or advertiser based. That is not a critique...the fact is they are I. The selling magazine and advertising business and my stuff doesn't fit well for most publications.

UNK
06-24-2017, 11:33 AM
It is part of a series. Yep, finished a long time ago and just waiting for the publisher to find a place in a magazine. My stuff is not popular for most magazines because it is not review or advertiser based. That is not a critique...the fact is they are I. The selling magazine and advertising business and my stuff doesn't fit well for most publications.

OK thanks for the reply. I hope it gets published. Good to see you back. I am looking forward to reading your future post.