PDA

View Full Version : The man bag?!

holmes168
06-14-2017, 05:44 PM
After a year of thinking and some shopping- today's events pushed me past the man bag paranoia. I happened to to near a Duluth Trading Company and purchased on today. Plenty of room for a pistol, mags, medical supplies, etc. I believe things aren't going to get much better any time soon and am tired of leaving stuff at home.
I'd be interested in knowing what the PF community thinks about the man bag option. Man bag, not murse!17342

blues
06-14-2017, 05:52 PM
I'm getting bad flashbacks to the late 80's and all the LE in South FL walking around with stylish leather purses man bags to carry their guns and paraphernalia in. It wasn't like every single person in Miami didn't know who the cops were and who the bad guys were...it was just so scripted.

Anyway, it looks like a nice bag but I'd prefer something set up for a quick draw. Can you set that up in advance without the contents dumping?

Will you be wearing or carrying?

JHC
06-14-2017, 06:24 PM
I recently bought the $50 sling bag from ManPak to sling a full size service pistol while walking the beach in just trunks with la familia. I got the very non tactical blue one. Handy gear when applicable.

Clusterfrack
06-14-2017, 07:12 PM
I very infrequently use a Maxpedition Remora.

Hambo
06-14-2017, 07:16 PM
I'd be interested in knowing what the PF community thinks about the man bag option.

Well, I don't use one.

TGS
06-14-2017, 07:20 PM
If you can carry a pistol on your person, do it.

If you can carry spare mags on your person, do it.

If you can carry a light on your person, do it.

If you can carry an IFAK on your person, do it.

Unless there's an actual reason you can't carry gear on your person, bags are for supplemental gear and not primary gear.

I personally have a Vertx EDC Satchel that I use, but typically not off duty.

voodoo_man
06-14-2017, 07:25 PM
A quality backpack is a man's bag.

walker2713
06-14-2017, 07:35 PM
For me, for tactical reasons off body carry is a poor second choice to OWB or AIWB....so I won't be joining the "man bag" brigade for the foreseeable future.

As man bags go, that's a nice one.

YMMV

Joe in PNG
06-14-2017, 07:58 PM
I happily carry a "man bag" in PNG- in my case, something I picked up at Target a few years back. I usually tote a checkbook, Purchase Order book, extra pens, Kindle, and have a place for any receipts.

Rex G
06-14-2017, 07:59 PM
I strongly believe in carrying my "primary" handgun, and at least mag/reload, on my person. A bag is, however, a very good way to carry more stuff, and enables my secondary handgun to be as big, or bigger, than my "primary" handgun, plus, is a way to carry more ammo, more med stuff, some water, some Cliff bars to keep me from having to endure bad food*, dog treats, batteries, charger cords, camera flash unit, memory sticks/cards, second mobile phone, note pad, moist wipes, lip balm, etc. A bag is especially important if I am wearing trousers without cargo pockets.

Sometimes, the bag will be a Safepacker, from thewilderness.com . This carries a pistol, a mag, and little else.

Sometimes, I use a Patagonia Atom. If it is good enough for Laci Szabo, it is good enough for me. (He approached me at the Blade Show, and we had a conversation about our Patagonia Atoms.)

Sometimes, my bag is a camera bag, because, well, I am often carrying photo gear. There is no Eleventh Commandment that prohibits us from carrying non-photo gear with our cameras, lenses, flash, etc. I really like Think Tank bags.

Sometimes, my bag is a Hill People Gear Recon Kit Bag. This is VERY well-made! I believe First Spear makes all, or most, of HPG's fabric gear. While the HPD Kit Bags are made to wear as a chest pack, I have also casually slung mine over a shoulder.

I have left back-backs put of the discussion, but have those, too; Hill People Gear, Think Tank, and probably a couple I am forgetting at the moment.

*I can eat almost anything, having an iron stomach, but my lower gut is, well, not so tough. Many mundane, non-spicy foods are on my trigger-food list, along with many herbs and most spices.

hufnagel
06-14-2017, 08:00 PM
WW2 era courier satchel.

Camovan
06-14-2017, 08:28 PM
North face backpack here because where I live a leather satchel would stick out like a sore thumb. I do like the ability to carry a bunch of med supplies, extra batteries, real size tools instead of a multi tool, food etc. I carry primary pistol on body but the backpack allows me a silenced 22 as a bug with 200 rounds so there's that. Living in the country I have found I use the 22 as a tool far more often than the 9mm for protection.

holmes168
06-14-2017, 08:56 PM
My pistol still goes IWB, but the bag does provide for more EDC options. While carrying is primarily for self/family protection- being able to respond to an active shooter is also a very serious aspect of life. Yes- I get that I'm not a first responder, but have enough experience from my past to assist on the scene. This bag allows for a little more gear to be carried without stuffing my pockets full. I decided to go as non-tactical as possible with the design- trying not to broadcast much to the general public.
Never thought I would have done this even a month ago- but it is getting more dangerous all the time.

Totem Polar
06-14-2017, 09:00 PM
I have a vertx sling that I really like. As to carry, there have been times when I had a Glock 43 AIWB, but an all-steel 1911 in the Vertx. I'm not really an either/or sort of guy; this is still America. :D

(Actually, the idea of a G43, or even a G26, in the waist AND a G34 in the Vertx sounds... comforting.)

MistWolf
06-14-2017, 09:15 PM
I carry a wallet, a bag, a backpack, a satchel, a pack, a briefcase, a duffel, a case and when dressed in medieval garb, a purse. A medieval purse. But I don't carry a man bag, man card, have a man cave, have bromances or go on man dates. I figure whatever I carry, it's what I carry. I don't gotta call it a "man" anything to justify it. Just sayin'

Oh- this is one of my favorite cases
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Tactical%20Tailor/DSC_0089_zps04ff3700.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Tactical%20Tailor/DSC_0102_zpsc05e7fd6.jpg

Greg
06-14-2017, 09:22 PM

StraitR
06-14-2017, 09:25 PM
The only bag I carry a pistol in is a HPG kit bag. Anytime I head to the office, the HPG kit bag goes inside my laptop bag. I just reach into my laptop bag to access the pistol/gear, or if need be, pull the whole HPG bag out and throw it on like a chest rig.

This...
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3956/32949706843_b083cc3c0f_z.jpg

Goes inside this...
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4183/34536997142_0eb99a8f4f_z.jpg

GJM
06-14-2017, 09:32 PM
Pistol on you, extras in the EDC pack.

El Cid
06-14-2017, 09:34 PM
A couple nice options.
http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/536bc50969bedd486333ed18/heres-why-george-lucas-didnt-want-harrison-ford-to-play-indiana-jones.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-H2Al9-vYS6c/T0aVDftbN0I/AAAAAAAAMAs/X_hnGOEQueo/s320/Zach-Galifinakis-Hangover-Satchel.jpg

In all seriousness though, I prefer Maxpedition for shoulder bags. Pricey but built like tanks.
https://www.maxpedition.com/collections/agr-advanced-gear-research

I also concur with the folks who said a backpack is a great option. Everyone won't be able to use the same thing since we all live in different environments.

schüler
06-14-2017, 09:57 PM
After a few personal experiences (due to my inattentiveness) I cringe at off body carry. If my clothing won't support a holster I use a HawkePaks GunPak-1 or even the old SmartCarry. If I need to move something without getting attention it goes in a tool bag (have almost half of all Husky bags!), sports bag, musical instrument soft case or non-MaxpeHazardArcVert'hawk backpack.

Sherman A. House DDS
06-14-2017, 10:16 PM
I keep a Maxpedition Fat Boy S in my truck, loaded with medical gear. It's a close out model that is red (so I can tell someone, "Go get the RED BAG from that truck!"

It's big though. Great for medical supplies. Would look like a diaper bag in the EDC role though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Cid
06-14-2017, 10:19 PM

That pic appears to be from Burning Man. Any chance it's misanthropist and his lovely? Lol! ;)

Maple Syrup Actual
06-14-2017, 11:09 PM
LOL

He looks so sad, though! At worst I usually just look contemplative.

http://imgur.com/P6HXCN7l.jpg

ETA: from the neck down she looks pretty bangable, though

JHC
06-15-2017, 05:32 AM
I strongly believe in carrying my "primary" handgun, and at least mag/reload, on my person. A bag is, however, a very good way to carry more stuff, and enables my secondary handgun to be as big, or bigger, than my "primary" handgun, plus, is a way to carry more ammo, more med stuff, some water, some Cliff bars to keep me from having to endure bad food*, dog treats, batteries, charger cords, camera flash unit, memory sticks/cards, second mobile phone, note pad, moist wipes, lip balm, etc. A bag is especially important if I am wearing trousers without cargo pockets.

Sometimes, the bag will be a Safepacker, from thewilderness.com . This carries a pistol, a mag, and little else.

Very much that also. Especially when out at some activity walking around most of the day, this has easily handled a full size, mags, phone, water, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M648EMU/ref=twister_B01MCTTPQI?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Stephanie B
06-15-2017, 06:42 AM
But are you wearing shoes to match your purses?

:D :D

45dotACP
06-15-2017, 07:11 AM
But are you wearing shoes to match your purses?

:D :D
At last a SME shows up to the discussion ;)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Shotgun
06-15-2017, 07:15 AM
Man bag, not murse!17342

Well, Holmes, I notice you are from Fort Worth. In Fort Worth, it's still a purse.

holmes168
06-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Well, Holmes, I notice you are from Fort Worth. In Fort Worth, it's still a purse.

That definitely smarts coming from a Dallas guy lol.

Shotgun
06-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Ha! I wish I lived in the FW portion of the Metroplex. It's certainly more conservative in Cowtown than it is over here in Big D.

Just an observation and kidding aside, a man bag/murse (any bag carried by a man other than a briefcase or backpack), might be an advertisement that you are concealed carrying in Fort Worth. I used to be over in Fort Worth for court fairly often, and I don't recall ever seeing a man bag being carried in the downtown area at least. A man bag might stick out a little in a city where men still wear cowboy hats walking around downtown.

Sherman A. House DDS
06-15-2017, 09:30 AM
Ha! I wish I lived in the FW portion of the Metroplex. It's certainly more conservative in Cowtown than it is over here in Big D.

Just an observation and kidding aside, a man bag/murse (any bag carried by a man other than a briefcase or backpack), might be an advertisement that you are concealed carrying in Fort Worth. I used to be over in Fort Worth for court fairly often, and I don't recall ever seeing a man bag being carried in the downtown area at least. A man bag might stick out a little in a city where men still wear cowboy hats walking around downtown.

Unless you're in Nashville...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamAdams
06-15-2017, 09:32 AM

Yeah when you see middle aged guys walking around in street clothes with a fanny pack, compartment to the front, - its damn obvious they're carrying. Same guys with a purse ? And not in S.F. ? Fa getta bout it

Lester Polfus
06-15-2017, 10:22 AM

In Portland, every one just assumes that's where I'm carrying my artisanal sandwich, beard oil, and skin care lotion.

blues
06-15-2017, 10:43 AM
In Portland, every one just assumes that's where I'm carrying my artisanal sandwich, beard oil, and skin care lotion.

Whatever happened to the good old days of carrying a few lids and some munchies? Sigh...;)

Hambo
06-15-2017, 10:59 AM
http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/536bc50969bedd486333ed18/heres-why-george-lucas-didnt-want-harrison-ford-to-play-indiana-jones.jpg

Indy carried his wheel gun OWB. The bag was just for tchotchkes he picked up along the way.

El Cid
06-15-2017, 12:27 PM
Indy carried his wheel gun OWB. The bag was just for tchotchkes he picked up along the way.

I don't condone carrying a gun in a man bag unless it's the only option. I just wanted to show it can be manly. Haha!

StraitR
06-15-2017, 12:54 PM
Hambo hahaha great use of tchotchke. Haven't heard that in a while. I LOL'd awkwardly at my desk.

Hambo
06-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Hambo hahaha great use of tchotchke. Haven't heard that in a while. I LOL'd awkwardly at my desk.

Glad somebody got it. ;)

Shotgun
06-15-2017, 02:05 PM

I think there is a man bag exception for purveyors of antiquities adventuring in foreign lands, especially with a wheel gun OWB. And a whip, ... don't forget the whip.

Lester Polfus
06-15-2017, 02:09 PM

Note only did he carry it OWB, he carried it APPENDIX OWB.

I have no real need for a 1917, but some day I'm probably going to own one anyway, because, Indy.

StraitR
06-15-2017, 02:26 PM
I think there is a man bag exception for purveyors of antiquities adventuring in foreign lands, especially with a wheel gun OWB. And a whip, ... don't forget the whip.

And a fedora... don't forget the fedora.

Gary1911A1
06-15-2017, 02:38 PM
There is always Jack Bauer.
https://goo.gl/images/sVAl16

NEPAKevin
06-15-2017, 02:42 PM

Nothing says dontfuckwithme like a Disney camo Maxpedition style diaper bag.

SamAdams
06-15-2017, 05:01 PM

Stetson fedora cancels out the man bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grey
06-15-2017, 05:38 PM
Nothing wrong with the man bag, Dr.Jones made it OK. Leather is always bonus points, and waxed canvas. Tactical man bags? Nooooooo

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Clusterfrack
06-15-2017, 05:42 PM
I wish Gabe would post a pic of his man bag: a yellow Sponge Bob mini-backpack with a beard added to Bob with black sharpie.

MistWolf
06-15-2017, 06:24 PM

A man in a fedora knows there's no such thing as a "man bag"

One of my favorite backpacks
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/WolfCub002_zpsfe4a98ad.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/WolfCub003_zps5fdae270.jpg

blues
06-15-2017, 06:28 PM
I don't think you'd catch Spiro Agnew with a fedora and a "man bag". That man had standards! ;)

Stephanie B
06-15-2017, 08:23 PM
I don't think you'd catch Spiro Agnew with a fedora and a "man bag". That man had standards! ;)

Carrying a "man bag" whilst taking bribes is tacky.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk

blues
06-15-2017, 08:31 PM

But practical...

Greg
06-15-2017, 08:40 PM
Oh man....

If the shoes have to match the purse, does the fedora have to match as well?

I'm just not "fabulous" enough for this high-fashion crap.

pangloss
06-16-2017, 12:45 AM
Nothing wrong with the man bag, Dr.Jones made it OK. Leather is always bonus points, and waxed canvas. Tactical man bags? Nooooooo

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Saddleback Leather makes a waxed canvas back that looks very similar to the Indiana Jones bag. They call it the Indiana Bag, I think. They are pricey, but someday I will have one.

Meanwhile, I just ordered the Vertx EDC Essential bag. I'm curious about the Kelty sling bag that is specifically designed for a pistol and mag.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

mmc45414
06-16-2017, 09:42 AM
Yeah when you see middle aged guys walking around in street clothes with a fanny pack, compartment to the front, - its damn obvious they're carrying.
That is the setup for the cops at the local baseball stadium. Stadium capacity 8,500, I am probably the only guy that notices.

I use one of these sometimes http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-waxed-cotton-courier-bag.html
Pretty sure walking around a grocery in a beach town last week nobody probably notices. I like the fact that it is motorcycle, not gun, gear. Also makes it easier to move things in and out of the hotel room.

SamAdams
06-16-2017, 10:10 AM
That is the setup for the cops at the local baseball stadium. Stadium capacity 8,500, I am probably the only guy that notices.

I use one of these sometimes http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-waxed-cotton-courier-bag.html
Pretty sure walking around a grocery in a beach town last week nobody probably notices. I like the fact that it is motorcycle, not gun, gear. Also makes it easier to move things in and out of the hotel room.

I was in one of the big chain drugstores last summer. There was a young guy standing in the checkout line open carrying a 686 .357 mag revolver. It didn't appear that anyone in the store paid any attention to it. I pulled the guy aside and asked him if he ever got hassled doing open carry. He replied that no one seems to even notice it. In the meantime the others in line were gossiping, looking at their cellphones, dealing with kids, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SamAdams
06-16-2017, 10:14 AM

He probably needed a duffel bag for that.

CWM11B
06-16-2017, 10:14 AM
Paul Howe seems to find a place for them, and I see their potential. Last we forget, it's not a new concept. It's great great grandfather was the "possible" bag of frontiersman days. Hardly a bunch of Nancy Boys:cool:

JHC
06-16-2017, 10:48 AM
Paul Howe seems to find a place for them, and I see their potential. Last we forget, it's not a new concept. It's great great grandfather was the "possible" bag of frontiersman days. Hardly a bunch of Nancy Boys:cool:

I have an old OD GI issue "map bag" I've had since '81. Then I actually carried my maps in it. (I was a 2LT then and I used my maps real good too, let's just get that out of the way)

Man, I can't go out in public with it without someone wanting to buy it from me.

NEPAKevin
06-16-2017, 11:06 AM
Oh man....

If the shoes have to match the purse, does the fedora have to match as well?

And the belt, suspenders, wallet... basically all the leather. Especially the whip.
Whip it good.

Hambo
06-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Last we forget, it's not a new concept. It's great great grandfather was the "possible" bag of frontiersman days. Hardly a bunch of Nancy Boys:cool:

That's because they didn't have http://www.vertx.com/phantom-lt-mens-tactical-pants-desert-tan