PDA

View Full Version : BEST OUTSIDE WAISTBAND HOLSTER FOR G19 GLOCK

Shootur44
06-14-2017, 11:46 AM
I have the Fobus holsters and a Dillion little slender leather holster and I am disabled , when I wear my pistol on right side ( strong side) it severely affects my hips, it presses on a nerve I guess and my hips lock up and back starts hurting severely , so I want to try another holster that positions differently and maybe even have to go to middle of back or to weak side. My pants are too snug to try and have it inside waist and be comfortable.
So after all that I guess I want to know what would be some of the more comfortable holsters for oswb cause I always wear a shirt with tail out to cover everything.
I hope I have ask this in correct area of forum
Thanks for any and all advise !!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

voodoo_man
06-14-2017, 02:06 PM
Many of the supporting businesses here can make one to your specific application check them out and send them an email.

TGS
06-14-2017, 03:15 PM
Whatever you do, I wouldn't carry small of back. I think the danger of injuring your spine in a fall is too severe, and you don't want to add any more to your disabilities. ;)

Pain from a chronic condition is one of those situations where it might be appropriate for you to try a cross-draw or shoulder holster. I have a Gould and Goodrich shoulder holster that I got from somebody at work who was ditching it, and I have to admit that it's ridiculously comfortable. I've only worn it around the apartment trying to feel it out, but I fell asleep with it.

If you can do OWB and make it work, then that is obviously a better route to take. I would look at JMCK (http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/) or Dark Star Gear (http://darkstargear.com/)if you want kydex, and JRC Holsters (http://jrcholsters.com/) if you want leather. As Voodoo said, you'll want to email them and describe your condition and which holster you think would be most appropriate. Jim (JRC Holsters) already has some designs which may interest you such as the SOB-5, which is meant to be worn at 5 O'clock instead of directly small of back.

HCountyGuy
06-14-2017, 03:32 PM
I've been pretty fond of the Safariland 537 since SouthNarc brought the holster to my attention. When I carry OWB nowadays, it's my go-to.

P-F topic on it (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17900-Safariland-537)

Safariland 537 on their website (https://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/holsters/concealable-holsters/belt-slide/model-537-gls-open-top-concealment-belt-slide-holster-53700.html)

walker2713
06-14-2017, 03:35 PM
I've owned, and own, a lot of Glock holsters over the 25 plus years I've been legally carrying a pistol.

My current EDC holster for my Glocks is a Kydex "ClingOn Slider" by Custom Carry Concepts, a company that supports our forum and participates in various threads.

I have one for my two HK P2000's, and this one fits my G19 as well as my G17....and if you have them, it'll also fit your G26, G34, G27, G23, G22 and G35.

Last month at Tom Given's 2 day Combative Pistol course I shot my HK P2000 LEM using my CCC belt slide holster with no problems...except for my accuracy. :rolleyes:

The holster fits firmly on the belt, and the pistol rides high and snug to my side. There's also an adjustment screw so you can give the holster the exact kind of good fit you desire. I can't say enough good things about it.

There are a lot of good holsters out there, but you might take a look at CCC's offerings.

George

PS: As a matter of fact, I just went ahead and ordered one for my Sig P320 Compact!

Rex G
06-14-2017, 05:38 PM
Fobus? Goodness gracious sakes alive, no wonder you have been in pain! Fobus makes Comp-tac and Blade-tech look like custom work. If you want to stay with a conventional outside-the-belt rig, try JM Custom Kydex, but instead of just ordering, e-mail first, and ask for a recommendation, for your specific needs. This is the time and place to order what truly fits, from a truly helpful custom maker. (I have personal experience with a JM Custom OWB holster. Other makers, of equal performance and helpfulness, have, and will be, mentioned here, by other members.)

Consider the cross-draw position, if your "weak" side is better able to tolerate the weight/bulk of the holster. Some are critical of cross-draw, but if worn forward of the hip, it IS a quite defensible place to carry a gun, and the "Jack Benny" position not only helps cover the weapon, but can be used to launch some very explosive attacks/defenses.

(Edited to add: If you have been wearing your holsters behind your hip, well, I do not consider myself disabled, at this time, anyway, but do have a bit of scoliosis, so I "lean" slightly to the right, and have always found behind-the-hip holsters uncomfortable on my right side. A straight-vertical-draw holster, with no cant, worn at 0300, or a bit more forward, is my best comfort option, for an outside-the-trousers holster on my right side.)

Middle-of-back holsters compel the user to reach much farther to grasp the pistol, which increases presentation time, at a moment when time is of the essence, and when drawing, puts the user's arm most of the way into an arm lock, at a moment when one may be within contact distance of one or more opponents. This is a lose-lose proposition. Then, there is a third hazard; if one falls onto one's back, the holstered weapon can cause, or at least aggravate, injury.

Finally, middle-of-back carry makes it more difficult to monitor the drape of the fabric over the weapon.

I did not yet mention the comfort factor, as this is a very individual thing. Personally, anything beyond 0330 is too far to the rear, for comfort, for me

Leroy Suggs
06-14-2017, 06:22 PM
Shootur44 I have a similar hip back nerve problem.
I do not think OWB will alleviate your problem.

In my experience it will still press on the nerves like IWB does .

Try a good AIWB holster and it will probably solve your problem. It did mine.
In the appendix position it will not put pressure on your nerves.

JTQ
06-15-2017, 07:09 AM
... I am disabled...

By disabled, does this mean you're in a wheel chair? If so, there are some holsters designed for driving that may work.

Mitch Rosen Counter Carjacking Rig (CCR) http://mitchrosen.com/products/holsters/belt-holsters/

Andrews Carjacking Cross Draw http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

Cross draw holsters will get the gun off your hip and that may be useful.

C. Rusty Sherrick Dual Use Crossdraw http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/holsters/cross.html

Rosen, in the link above, also has the Transverse, and Andrews offers their Saddle Style holster as a cross draw.

ken grant
06-15-2017, 09:53 AM
I have boxes of holsters for my Glocks . Leather ,Kydex and ? material. Some were cheap and some were expensive I have both IWB and OWB .
The holster I use 99% of the time for OWB is the Glock Sport/ Combat . One goes on my belt every day even if I decide to carry IWB that day depending on dress

NickS
06-16-2017, 01:55 PM
I have the Fobus holsters and a Dillion little slender leather holster and I am disabled , when I wear my pistol on right side ( strong side) it severely affects my hips, it presses on a nerve I guess and my hips lock up and back starts hurting severely , so I want to try another holster that positions differently and maybe even have to go to middle of back or to weak side. My pants are too snug to try and have it inside waist and be comfortable.
So after all that I guess I want to know what would be some of the more comfortable holsters for oswb cause I always wear a shirt with tail out to cover everything.
I hope I have ask this in correct area of forum
Thanks for any and all advise !!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no "best" OWB holster...the one you settle on and use daily to carry your firearm daily is best for you! I prefer some form or retention when I'm carrying OWB, FWIW

Rex G
06-16-2017, 03:10 PM
Shootur44, if you are willing to share, be more specific about your disability, or at least more detail about the type of pain, and its location. Someone on this forum may be in a similar situation, and be able to help in a more detailed way. An example is hubcap's reply, but even he could only guess as to the nature of your needs.