PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mark IV Recall

idahojess
06-13-2017, 09:16 PM
Bought one a few months ago and I've been very happy with it -- but just found this today. Basically if it was produced before June 1 (i.e., you own it), there is a recall. Apparently a hickup can occur if the safety is between safe and fire.

We recently received a small number of reports from the field that Mark IV™ pistols (including 22/45™ variants) have the potential to discharge accidentally if the safety is not utilized correctly. In particular, if the trigger is pulled while the safety lever is midway between the "safe" and "fire" positions (that is, the safety is not fully engaged or fully disengaged), then the pistol may not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, if the trigger is released and the safety lever is then moved from the mid position to the "fire" position, the pistol may fire at that time. We have conducted additional testing and have confirmed this condition. Because we are firmly committed to safety, we would like to retrofit all potentially affected pistols with an updated safety mechanism.

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/markIVRecall/index.php?r=y

SeriousStudent
06-13-2017, 09:23 PM
I of course bought one on Friday, before I had heard of the recall.

Naturally, it has a serial number that tells me I have to send it back.

Sigh.

idahojess
06-13-2017, 09:30 PM
The good thing is you only have to send the bottom part back. Not that the top will do you much good, but the top has the serial number, so it sounds like everything can go USPS.

SeriousStudent
06-13-2017, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I am waiting on a shipping container and label. They will send it when they are ready to work on it, and are supposed to turn it around in 10 days.

They'll pay shipping both ways and give me a free magazine for my troubles.

I'd already bought and mounted a Vortex Venom RDS, and was looking forward to sighting it in this weekend. Now I get to wait and wait.......

Another sigh.

Duelist
06-13-2017, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I am waiting on a shipping container and label. They will send it when they are ready to work on it, and are supposed to turn it around in 10 days.

They'll pay shipping both ways and give me a free magazine for my troubles.

I'd already bought and mounted a Vortex Venom RDS, and was looking forward to sighting it in this weekend. Now I get to wait and wait.......

Another sigh.

I'd go shoot crud out of it. At the range, just don't use the safety at all. Load, shoot, load, shoot. Have fun. When you get your shipping label, take it apart and send the needed parts in.

EricM
06-13-2017, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up, mine is affected...just got on the list, could always use another mag. :) Glad they are handling the recall as they are, I'd have a hard time parting with it for long. Love that gun, more accurate in my hands than anything else I own.

ReverendMeat
06-13-2017, 11:34 PM
Has anybody been able to replicate the issue on their own guns? I wasn't able to.

rjohnson4405
06-14-2017, 08:42 AM
I also wasn't able to, about impossible to get my safety into the middle position, and even when I can it won't let the trigger be pulled. Mk 22/45

idahojess
06-14-2017, 08:59 PM
I also wasn't able to, about impossible to get my safety into the middle position, and even when I can it won't let the trigger be pulled. Mk 22/45

I haven't tried to duplicate the malfunction, but the safety on mine is easy to get in a mid-way position when I operate the right-side lever (the left-handed safety). The right handed safety has a more positive two position movement. It's us damn lefties (as in handed's) fault.

orionz06
06-14-2017, 09:11 PM
Never use the safety, it's not a gun that requires that. It's either loaded or locked back and open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idahojess
06-14-2017, 09:26 PM
I agree -- I don't use the safety either. I also agree with Duelist that I'll shoot it until the recall box comes.

However, the Ruger is a great gun to teach new shooters or have older shooters shoot with. I took my 69-year old mom to the range a few weeks ago. She's shot occasionally for decades and enjoyed it at times, but still been very recoil sensitive, and now she's having hand issues. She absolutely loved that Mark IV. She's shot other 22s, like the M&P 22, but the Ruger was perfect.

Because it's a great gun to train other shooters with, and because I don't want to have something bad happen (and get sued if it does), I'll get the recall.

Duelist
06-15-2017, 01:36 PM
Never use the safety, it's not a gun that requires that. It's either loaded or locked back and open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I am hunting rabbits or squirrels with my MKII, I use the safety. If I am training a new shooter with it, I teach them to use it. But if it had a malfunctioning safety recall a-la the MKIV, I'd do as I previously suggested and just have fun with it, ignore the safety, and ship the parts in when the label arrived.

SeriousStudent
06-15-2017, 07:16 PM
I agree -- I don't use the safety either. I also agree with Duelist that I'll shoot it until the recall box comes.

However, the Ruger is a great gun to teach new shooters or have older shooters shoot with. I took my 69-year old mom to the range a few weeks ago. She's shot occasionally for decades and enjoyed it at times, but still been very recoil sensitive, and now she's having hand issues. She absolutely loved that Mark IV. She's shot other 22s, like the M&P 22, but the Ruger was perfect.

Because it's a great gun to train other shooters with, and because I don't want to have something bad happen (and get sued if it does), I'll get the recall.

This pretty much mirror's my thoughts. It's going to be a suppressed teaching gun for new or young shooters. I will not be firing the majority of the shots through it.

Ruger will fix it for me for free, and I'm already over the mild annoyance this caused. I have a Glock 19 with a suppressed Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit that was already filling that role. We'll just keep shooting it.

I do enjoy a suppressed rimfire with an RDS for teaching the young 'uns. They have such a great time, and catch on really fast. Put some clay pigeons on the berm at 10 yards, and have them shoot out the center without breaking the rim. Lots of fun!

ca survivor
06-16-2017, 06:08 PM
The good thing is you only have to send the bottom part back. Not that the top will do you much good, but the top has the serial number, so it sounds like everything can go USPS.

the frame (bottom part) is the one with the serial # not the top

ReverendMeat
06-16-2017, 06:38 PM

No, that's incorrect.

Drang
06-16-2017, 06:40 PM

Negative:
Mark IV™ Recall (https://ruger.com/dataProcess/markIVRecall/)

ca survivor
06-16-2017, 08:02 PM
new one from Ruger, the frame is the one considered the firearm according to the ATF that's why is serialized in every other firearm, but you know that right ?

Drang
06-16-2017, 08:59 PM
Did you look at the picture?
Or read the FAQ?

Q.What do I have to send back to you?
We only want the grip frame assembly. It is not necessary for us to have the barrel/receiver assembly to perform the retrofit. Because the barrel/receiver assembly is the serialized component, not requiring its return simplifies the process and will enable us to more conveniently and quickly return the grip frame assembly to you.

Duelist
06-16-2017, 09:40 PM
Or ever handle one?

The serial number is on the tube next to the barrel on all 4(5?) of the various series of Ruger .22 MK semi auto pistols, from the original Standard, the MKII, the .22/45, MKIII (and matching .22/45), and the new MKIV (and new .22/45).

ReverendMeat
06-17-2017, 01:31 AM
new one from Ruger, the frame is the one considered the firearm according to the ATF that's why is serialized in every other firearm, but you know that right ?

You really don't know what you're talking about.

JSGlock34
06-17-2017, 01:40 AM
At least Mark IV owners won't need a mallet to send in their grip modules for the update...

Duelist
06-17-2017, 03:57 AM
At least Mark IV owners won't need a mallet to send in their grip modules for the update...

I know it says that in the manual, but in the vast array of half a dozen Ruger .22s from this line I've shot, only one was anything like me that tight, and it was an original Standard. Very early one, too. The MKII I've had for the last ... umpteen years, has never needed anything but normal disassembly. No mallets, no frame marring or abuse.

ca survivor
06-17-2017, 07:36 AM
You really don't know what you're talking about.

do you own any other firearms other than the MK III ?

idahojess
06-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Here is a link to the ATF guidebook:

The serialized part can be the frame or the receiver. Frame or receiver is defined as "That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and
firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel."

Other guns, such as SIG 320s and Sig 250s, have different parts other than the lower part serialized, which allow their grips to be modular. I'm sure there are others out there.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/firearms-imporation-verification-guidebook-firearms-verificationpdf/download

JSGlock34
06-17-2017, 11:55 AM
I know it says that in the manual, but in the vast array of half a dozen Ruger .22s from this line I've shot, only one was anything like me that tight, and it was an original Standard. Very early one, too. The MKII I've had for the last ... umpteen years, has never needed anything but normal disassembly. No mallets, no frame marring or abuse.

Unfortunately, the only the Mark III I ever owned was quite tight, and did require blunt force to disassemble.