PDA

View Full Version : Tragic news from up north

YVK
06-13-2017, 08:51 AM
http://www.cfjctoday.com/article/575231/man-dies-after-kamloops-shooting-competition-accident

Terrible, just terrible. This man has been known to some of the forum members. I am very sorry for your loss, Slavex.

breakingtime91
06-13-2017, 09:00 AM
wow how terrible. A reminder to us all that handling firearms, no matter the skill level, is a dangerous thing. Rest in peace.

Lon
06-13-2017, 09:01 AM
I saw that on bookface. Very sorry to hear it and will be praying for his family and friends.

Edit: question answered in video.

Peally
06-13-2017, 09:02 AM
If you drop it, don't try to catch it.

blues
06-13-2017, 09:02 AM
Very sorry to hear this. RIP.

JTQ
06-13-2017, 09:41 AM
I'm sorry to hear this. My prayers go out to the family, and all those in attendance.

The video news report was very well done, though. Very professional people.

StraitR
06-13-2017, 10:09 AM
Tragic accident. Prayers for the families and friends.

Lost River
06-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Very sad and unfortunate event, and one that could happen to any one of us. It is almost instinct to try to gab something you fumble and are dropping, especially an expensive item. It is tough to train ourselves to do the opposite of what seems like a natural response.

That said, I was glad to see the reporter allow the range spokesman to give the statement that he did, and the police woman state that gun ranges are very safe places (which as far as USPSA/IPSC is concerned) we know is quite accurate.

When you think of the number of IPSC/USPSA/IDPA members, plus the number of competitions held annually, it is surprising (to me) that there are not more minor accidents than there are, just based on the incredible numbers of shooters and rounds downrange each year.

This is also a very good reminder to keep a real trauma kit either in your vehicle, at a clubhouse, etc, and make sure there are people who actually know how to use its contents. When someone is drowning in their own blood is not the time to be reading directions on the Asherman, or ripping the cellophane off of the tourniquet.

Oddly enough, I was up at a shooting friends in Salmon Idaho the weekend before last and this subject came up. One of the shooters had some gear, and was asking some good questions. We discussed how to stage tourniquets (we also took his out of their package) for one hand use, and ready to use on either hands or legs. Plus we discussed the basic management plan for field care (basic TCCC stuff). The punchline is that I told him that 95% of what I learned came from 18 Ds and if I were him, I would to seek out training from some those guys, and go from there (in other words I am not the right guy).

Since summer is here it is also a good time to go through stuff and make sure all the seals are still good, and nothing has been degraded from sitting in vehicles/trunks, whatever.

GJM
06-13-2017, 12:36 PM
Do we know whether he dropped his pistol, tried to catch it, and got his finger in the trigger guard?

TAZ
06-13-2017, 01:22 PM
Damn. That stinks. Prayers for the family.

Amp
06-13-2017, 02:04 PM
"It appears that he just fumbled his gun, it dropped, he tried to grab it and it went off."

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/vancouver-man-dead-after-shooting-himself-during-pistol-contest-1.3455715

SeriousStudent
06-13-2017, 07:06 PM
I am so sorry to hear of this. The family and friends are in my thoughts.

RJ
06-13-2017, 07:10 PM
Dammit that sucks. So sorry to hear.

nate89
06-13-2017, 07:21 PM
Saw this on BrianEnos earlier. A reminder to never be complacent. Even an 'experienced' shooter can still make a mistake.

Maple Syrup Actual
06-13-2017, 07:30 PM
He was well known here. An experienced guy with a lot of trigger time, felled by an instant's inattention.

I suspect that the ubiquity of expensive phones which can be destroyed by a single drop has made the "catch" instinct even tougher to suppress. A stark reminder.

SamAdams
06-14-2017, 09:02 AM
Very sad for the man and his family.

It brought to mind my first reaction if I drop a knife with an exposed blade. Its to back away from it. The mental image of that sharp edge says "DANGER !" I need to keep this news account in mind always.

When I first read the news account I wondered if the trigger was inadvertently pulled or a drop safety failed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LockedBreech
06-14-2017, 02:42 PM
I used to think I was entirely above the "catch it" reflex, until about three weeks ago I dropped a chef's knife and got a nice cut on my index finger trying to grab it. Have never done anything like it. It really only takes one single second.

My thoughts to him and his family. Tragic and sobering.

shane45
06-14-2017, 02:54 PM
Could someone clarify if it was Slavex that had the accident or a family member of Slavex for me?

YVK
06-14-2017, 04:36 PM
No, it wasn't Slavex and I don't think they were related. They spent a bunch of time shooting together though based on Slavex' posts of FB.

shane45
06-14-2017, 04:58 PM
Got it, thanks for the clarification!

-ad-
09-05-2017, 01:54 AM
So sad to hear. And also sobering, knowing that he was an experienced shooter - could have happened to any one of us here. Still, I suspect there's far more risk driving to the range than shooting at the range and this is one of those freak things, but a worthy reminder none-the-less.

I suspect that the ubiquity of expensive phones which can be destroyed by a single drop has made the "catch" instinct even tougher to suppress. A stark reminder.

I don't know why - but my instinct reaction whenever I've dropped something valuable has always been to 'catch' it with my foot. (To try to break the impact from hitting the floor on something softer that gives way). Has worked numerous times for my phone, and other items.