PDA

View Full Version : Olympics drops several historic shooting events for 2020

Drang
06-12-2017, 03:16 PM
Olympics drops several historic shooting events for 2020 (http://www.guns.com/2017/06/12/olympics-drops-several-historic-shooting-events-for-2020/)

Moving towards being “more youthful, more urban, and more women” the International Olympic Committee approved a host of changes to the shooting sports for the upcoming Tokyo Games.

The group on Friday announced they agreed with changes proposed by the International Shooting Sports Federation, the governing body for Olympic-style shooting, that aims toward a larger goal to boost female participation while appealing to more youth.
So does this mean we won't see Steel Challenge or 3 Gun added to the Olympics?

The upside of the plan for the shooting sports: the Tokyo games will see new Trap Mixed Gender Team, 10m Air Rifle Mixed Gender Team, and 10m Air Pistol Mixed Gender Team events.

The downside: to make room, the IOC will remove the current Men’s Double Trap, Men’s 50m Rifle Prone, and Men’s 50m Pistol events.

Similarly, to meet a new 10,500-athlete cap on participation at the Olympic Games, the quota of shooting athletes at Tokyo 2020 will be set at 360, compared with 390 at Rio 2016, which means some teams will have to shrink.
I guess it does.
USA Shooting made it clear they opposed these moves, BTW.

LorenzoS
06-12-2017, 05:29 PM
I haven't given a shit about the Olympics in, well, ever.

LJD
06-12-2017, 05:43 PM
They made noise about pulling wrestling a few years ago. The olympics started with mostly martial pursuits in ancient times, and is now basically 2 weeks of beach volleyball (good!), gymnastics, and 99 ways to cross a pool.

Trooper224
06-13-2017, 09:40 AM
I'd sooner watch paint dry than that sham of an event.

Stephanie B
06-13-2017, 09:55 AM
I'd sooner watch paint dry than that sham of an event.

Concur Ref. A.

The smartest thing that the mayor of Boston did was to drop the city's bid for the Olympics in 2024. No city should bid on the games. They ought to make the IOC go around begging for the sames. Or set a permanent site, such as Alice Springs, Australia.

Tamara
06-13-2017, 09:59 AM
Why are prone rifle or 10M air pistol gendered events anyway? It's not like recoil control in rapid fire is even a thing in these disciplines.

GyroF-16
06-13-2017, 09:59 AM
I'm personally bummed to see 50m Free Pistol go away. It's been an Olympic event since 1896, I believe.
I shot on the pistol team in college, and competed in Free and Standard Pistol at nationals in Colorado Springs. The 50m event was tough. On the other hand, my girlfriend came to watch and said it was as exciting as watching paint dry - so maybe that has something to do with its demise.

cheby
06-13-2017, 12:43 PM
Olympics is the symbol of the international corruption to me. It's never had anything to do with sport. Only politics. From 1936 Olympics games in Nazi Germany to 1980 in Moscow.
Curling is what suits Olympics the best

Zincwarrior
06-13-2017, 01:43 PM
Olympics is the symbol of the international corruption to me. It's never had anything to do with sport. Only politics. From 1936 Olympics games in Nazi Germany to 1980 in Moscow.
Curling is what suits Olympics the best

Don't forget the joy of figure scating. Nothing says Olympics like an event where you win based on judges who judge you based on your nationality.

cjb1911
06-13-2017, 01:56 PM
Never really cared about the Olympics, then HBO did a Real Sports on the IOC. Now I go out of my way to avoid watching the Olympics. It's incredible how corrupt the whole organization is, and how the sites are going to countries with deplorable living conditions that do not have the infrastructure to host such an event.

TAZ
06-13-2017, 03:29 PM
Why are prone rifle or 10M air pistol gendered events anyway? It's not like recoil control in rapid fire is even a thing in these disciplines.

Because equality. The sports are set up like title ix sports at universities. Same opportunities for both sexes at medals. Doesn't have to make sense.

The Olympic Games have lost a lot of luster over the years due to political asshattery by the IOC. I honestly wish they would just pick a neutral ish site for each of the games and keep coming back rather than devastate local economies over and over and over. You could still name a host nation responsible for the pageantry and site maintenance set up, but to constantly build giant compounds that lay in waste the following years is stupid.

Drang
06-13-2017, 03:33 PM
They sell hosting the games with the promise that the infrastructure will be the key to revitalization of the area, the jobs and money... Only one modern Olympics didn't leave the host city eyeball deep in debt*. If I were really into conspiracy theories I'd start one that the reason Mitt Romney lost in 2012 is that the International community is pissed at him because he eliminated most of the graft in the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics...

*(Remember, officially the games are hosted by a city, not a nation.)

richiecotite
06-13-2017, 05:26 PM
Ehh, most shooting sports are boring as shit to watch anyway...would rather see 3 gun, or steel challenge or rock throwing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk