PDA

View Full Version : 870 Extensions + Shotgun Sidesaddles: Fixed vs. Velcro vs. Airidus

ssb
06-09-2017, 11:35 PM
I'm setting up a recently-acquired 870P. Already did the Magpul stock, waiting on a Surefire forend, and maybe a singlepoint sling. Sight will likely be an XS bead for the immediate future, maybe an Aimpoint down the road.

Gun currently has the OEM +2 on it. I prefer the balance/handling of no extension, so that's gonna go. I'm considering a +1 extension to at least give me 5 in the gun, with the hope that it resolves my balance concern. Is there any substantive difference between the Wilson unit and the Vang Comp?

As for the sidesaddle, I want spare ammo on the gun. It's an HD gun, and I won't be running around with any additional ammo that's not in/on the gun. With the understanding that I won't be "reloading" side saddles, is there any particular reason to choose a fixed over a detachable unit (velcro or Airidus)?

HCM
06-09-2017, 11:42 PM
I've occasionally lost rounds out of Velcro cards in both handling and shooting. I've never had that happen with side saddles.

Dave J
06-10-2017, 05:20 AM
Is there any substantive difference between the Wilson unit and the Vang Comp?

I have one of each, and can't really tell a significant difference, other than having different sling mount options.

I do think the Vang Comp stainless follower is a better design than the plastic one Wilson uses, but both are an improvement over stock.

Hambo
06-10-2017, 06:58 AM
If you don't like balance with a +2 extension, how are you going to like an extra half pound of ammo on the receiver? At one point I had all the cool shit on my 870P, but it had the feel of a SAW. I stripped it down to a small light and a +2, which still gives me more ammo than I'm ever likely to use in a fight. YMMV.

ssb
06-10-2017, 08:11 AM
If you don't like balance with a +2 extension, how are you going to like an extra half pound of ammo on the receiver? At one point I had all the cool shit on my 870P, but it had the feel of a SAW. I stripped it down to a small light and a +2, which still gives me more ammo than I'm ever likely to use in a fight. YMMV.

That's a very fair point.

My only other tricked out shotgun experience was a Benelli M1 with a Surefire, Mesa side saddle, and 8-shot tube. It was certainly heavy.

Maybe that's a reason to go with a velcro saddle if/when I take a shotgun course.

Holmes375
06-10-2017, 02:09 PM
I'm with Hambo. After taking a couple courses my 870 HD gun has evolved to a simple +2, QD sling cups and a velcro patch on the receiver for when I do want the option of a side saddle. I've had good luck with my shell cards in two classes with regard to retention. When standing guard at home the 870 is sans the shell saddle and sling. I do run a small lamp forward of the forearm, Weaver ring clamp on a lightweight aluminum mount. Loaded weight is 8.5 lbs, handles nicely for me in this configuration.

deputyG23
06-14-2017, 03:03 PM

When I took a shotgun class with Benjamin DeWalt on Memorial Day weekend, I took my standard issued lightweight Mossy 500 18" barrel with standard 5 shot mag. I was glad at the end of the day that I left my personal 590A1 20" extended mag with Surefire forend at home. It probably weighs at least a pound more and is sluggish to handle compared to the bare bones issued gun.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
06-14-2017, 03:22 PM
I've occasionally lost rounds out of Velcro cards in both handling and shooting. I've never had that happen with side saddles.

Agreed w/ what my Tx brother said above. Put my 1301T w/ velcro cards into service last Nov. @ a HITS SG class & have also had some sim. incidents w/ the cards during 3Gs since that time.

I've had both of my VCS 870s set up w/ fixed side saddles for many years, before that a sim. setup on my M1 Entry SBS & nary an issue w/ any of those three.

shootist26
06-14-2017, 04:45 PM
I'm setting up a recently-acquired 870P. Already did the Magpul stock, waiting on a Surefire forend, and maybe a singlepoint sling. Sight will likely be an XS bead for the immediate future, maybe an Aimpoint down the road.

Gun currently has the OEM +2 on it. I prefer the balance/handling of no extension, so that's gonna go. I'm considering a +1 extension to at least give me 5 in the gun, with the hope that it resolves my balance concern. Is there any substantive difference between the Wilson unit and the Vang Comp?

As for the sidesaddle, I want spare ammo on the gun. It's an HD gun, and I won't be running around with any additional ammo that's not in/on the gun. With the understanding that I won't be "reloading" side saddles, is there any particular reason to choose a fixed over a detachable unit (velcro or Airidus)?

I have an 870 that I went back and forth with a Wilson +1 and a Vang +2 for a couple years. Ended up staying with the Wilson for two reasons. First is the balance was much better. Second was that the Vang extension liked to shoot itself loose and would require hand tightening every now and then. NEver had an issue with the Wilson. You know the notches on the extension that grab on to the barrel detent ball? The Vang's notches were machined much shallower than the Wilson, which I think was the reason.

Bratch
06-14-2017, 06:46 PM
I'm running the old school elastic buttstock sleeve with liberal amounts of tape holding it on. Put the weight at the rear of the gun. I got this from Tom Givens.