PDA

View Full Version : CHP Smith & Wesson 4006 Heads-Up

MD7305
06-06-2017, 09:45 PM
So I've got no affiliation with this retailer other than being a happy customer. I stumbled across this and wanted to pass it along for anyone that might be interested. I know the 3rd Gen Smiths with integral rails are not super common but not so sure how desirable they are in .40s/w. Hope this is useful to somebody!

http://summitgunbroker.com/4006-tsw-chp.html

Sigfan26
06-06-2017, 10:12 PM
How do you order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigghoss
06-06-2017, 10:39 PM
How do you order?

Most of the time you order like anything else but then email or fax a copy of your dealer's FFL. Sometimes they'll have an FFL on file in your area already so you can select that dealer to have the gun shipped to.

There's a "How To Buy" link on the left side of the page near the top.

Sigfan26
06-06-2017, 10:45 PM
Most of the time you order like anything else but then email or fax a copy of your dealer's FFL. Sometimes they'll have an FFL on file in your area already so you can select that dealer to have the gun shipped to.

There's a "How To Buy" link on the left side of the page near the top.

Yes. I don't see a buy button, though

Trukinjp13
06-06-2017, 10:47 PM
In .40 though [emoji24]

Duelist
06-06-2017, 11:47 PM
In .40 though [emoji24]

Well, yeah. 4006. And these are probably among the last 3rd Gen S&W pistols that will be made.

Bigghoss
06-06-2017, 11:54 PM
Yes. I don't see a buy button, though

I've never bought anything from them so I was just generalizing but after clicking the "How To Buy" link and reading the instructions it says you can order over the phone with a credit card or by mail. You can't just order online like every other website ever apparently.

HCM
06-07-2017, 12:03 AM
I'm waiting for WV State Police to trade in their melonited 4566s.

Sigfan26
06-07-2017, 01:40 AM
I've never bought anything from them so I was just generalizing but after clicking the "How To Buy" link and reading the instructions it says you can order over the phone with a credit card or by mail. You can't just order online like every other website ever apparently.

So... I've still got a shot.

farscott
06-07-2017, 06:52 AM
So... I've still got a shot.

The best way to order with Mark is to send him an email at mark@summitgunbroker.com to see if he has one in stock. If he does, you can send him a check/MO or call him with a credit card (3% fee applies). I have bought enough from Mark, including handguns, shotguns, and suppressors, to be totally confident with his service.

Greg
06-07-2017, 08:35 AM
I had a 4006 back in the day. Haven't missed it for 1 second ever since I sold it.

S&W 3rd Gens are overrated.

JDM
06-07-2017, 08:46 AM
How do you order?

http://summitgunbroker.com/how-to-buy.html

Trukinjp13
06-07-2017, 10:05 AM
Well, yeah. 4006. And these are probably among the last 3rd Gen S&W pistols that will be made.

Get that. Still would really wish they were in 9mm. They were pretty cool pistols. My neighbor had a .45 enjoyed shooting it.

LockedBreech
06-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Ugh I just flat cannot afford any more guns. I need to stay away from these sites for a while.

GardoneVT
06-07-2017, 10:54 AM
Get that. Still would really wish they were in 9mm. They were pretty cool pistols. My neighbor had a .45 enjoyed shooting it.

These guns are built like the proverbial brick shithouse, and thus tame .40 pretty well. If I had to complete a 1,000 round class shooting Fortay , this is the gun I'd use. Big frame, and a spring loaded frame buffer in the guide rod for good measure.

Which brings me to the only downside of these guns.While many of the breed are still out there ,S&W support is not assured . Some parts are still available, but if the slide or frame suffers a problem you'll be getting a voucher for an M&P. Ditto if any critical parts fail that you can't find replacements for.

crossrifles
06-09-2017, 08:26 AM
Just another heads up - these 4006's are decocker only and have a magazine disconnect.
If you purchase one, immediately pull the grip (pm me, I an walk you through it if needed) Check for rust/pitting along the underside of the grip. Usually it's minor. I would constantly find rust there during inspections, I'd have to constantly remind guys to maintenance the weapon especially after a rainy shift. Generally it's that same group that would perform poorly at qualifying. Most likely that's the same group of pistols to hit the street first too.

ffhounddog
06-09-2017, 01:05 PM
The 4013 is sexy. Why did I promise to save money again....

stinx
06-11-2017, 03:28 PM
Are the CHP looking into moving away from the 4006TSW platform?

06-11-2017, 03:38 PM

According to someone over on the S&W forum they are transitioning to something polymer. It will take a few years for the switch to be complete so these 4006's should continue to appear from time to time.

SoCalDep
06-11-2017, 03:52 PM
They are in the process of transitioning to the M&P40. My understanding is that it is the standard version, not the 2.0.

HCM
06-11-2017, 08:21 PM

Yes. Whether they want to or not. SW is ceasing all 3rd gen auto production. Same reason NYPD is no longer authorizing new 5946's.

The CHP is going to M&P 40's and 40C's.

ca survivor
06-12-2017, 06:21 PM
bad timing I just bought an anchor for my boat. :)

Lester Polfus
06-12-2017, 06:48 PM
I guess I kind of divide guns up into two categories:

The guns I have for day to day carry and use. They are fungible and I have zero attachments to them as objects. If they get broken, stolen, seized by the police, whatever, it's just like going to home depot and buying another hammer. They tend to be commonly available, rugged, and currently supported by the manufacturer.

Then there's stuff that's just cool to own, because I like guns, or they have sentimental meaning or something like that. Mostly they are things to take to the range, but if I had to pick one up and fend off Spetznez Demon Zombies, I'd do it.

At one point in my life 3rd Gen S&W auto loaders fell into the first category, because thats what my employer gave me.

Nowadays, I have no problem with with owning one and placing it in the second category.

LockedBreech
06-12-2017, 10:19 PM
I guess I kind of divide guns up into two categories:

The guns I have for day to day carry and use. They are fungible and I have zero attachments to them as objects. If they get broken, stolen, seized by the police, whatever, it's just like going to home depot and buying another hammer. They tend to be commonly available, rugged, and currently supported by the manufacturer.

Then there's stuff that's just cool to own, because I like guns, or they have sentimental meaning or something like that. Mostly they are things to take to the range

This is exactly how my gun buying has evolved. I no longer have a carry "rotation" - my serious guns are Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Walther PPS M1, end of story (though I may have to run my new dirt-cheap M&P Shield 9 against the PPS).

That said, I love my Sigs, Berettas, 1911, revolvers, etc. because it is fun to have guns.

I have started to match the advice of Doc and a few other reputable folks around here. 80% of my shooting is on the Glocks, and the 20% is just for kicks.