PDA

View Full Version : SOCOM's new *proposed* weapons portfolio

LittleLebowski
06-06-2017, 08:16 PM
Link to PDF (http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2017/armament/Owens.pdf)

Glock 19 with Suppressor and 147gr Gold Dot G2

PDW (RFI states Upgrade kit for M4 with both .300 BLK and 5.56 short barrels)

SURG M4 SOPMOD Upgrade (Suppressed Upper Receiver Group)

6.5mm Sniper Support Rifle

6.5mm Assault Machinegun

Advanced Sniper Rifle/EO Optic System to replace Mk.13

.338 NM LightWeight Medium Machinegun

Polymer/alloy case development for 6.5mm, 7.62 NATO, and .50 BMG to reduce weight

6.5 All The Things is good. 7.62x51 needs to go. I'm sure our female infantry will love an AR10/SCAR-H resized rifle.

Josh Runkle
06-06-2017, 08:26 PM
I thought there was an issue with the Gold Dot G2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hambo
06-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Meh, we'll see how much of that actually happens. A lot of it is two or more years out.

What I found most interesting was domestic production of PKMs.

TGS
06-06-2017, 08:33 PM
I thought there was an issue with the Gold Dot G2?

There were some first batch hiccups that were resolved. It's been in general issue at my agency for over a year.

LittleLebowski
06-06-2017, 08:35 PM
Meh, we'll see how much of that actually happens. A lot of it is two or more years out.

And no SVDs :(

Mr. Goodtimes
06-06-2017, 09:48 PM

Say wuhhh?

Odin Bravo One
06-06-2017, 10:58 PM

POM without supplemental Congressional funds is five years. Most of that list has been in development for several years, it's a matter of money in some cases, getting everyone to agree in others. There are lots of good ideas that make it into SOPMOD program items, and lots of bad ideas that do too.

Robinson
06-06-2017, 11:02 PM
Do all SOF use M4s? Or do some units still use the M16A4? Just wondering if there is still a need for longer barreled carbines in non-CQB roles?

LittleLebowski
06-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Do all SOF use M4s? Or do some units still use the M16A4? Just wondering if there is still a need for longer barreled carbines in non-CQB roles?

Seems like it given the semi auto precision requirement.

Mr. Goodtimes
06-08-2017, 10:24 PM
What is the idea behind domestically produced comblock weapons? I'm assuming to provide an "indigenous" type weapon made to a known quantity when sneaky dudes are being sneaky?

A domestically produced PKM would be pretty cool, a domestically produced PKM in .338 NM would be pure sex. I wonder if VLTOR has anything to do with that?

Olim9
06-09-2017, 12:19 AM
What is the idea behind domestically produced comblock weapons? I'm assuming to provide an "indigenous" type weapon made to a known quantity when sneaky dudes are being sneaky?

A domestically produced PKM would be pretty cool, a domestically produced PKM in .338 NM would be pure sex. I wonder if VLTOR has anything to do with that?

Waaay out of my lane but possibly for weapons familiarity/ extensive firing for training? Interestingly enough, this company produces launchers that resemble RPG-7's.

http://www.airtronic-usa.com/products/

They seem to have a longer lifespan than a run of the mill RPG-7 one may find out in Africa or ME (that may or may not be nearing the end of their service life) Again, way out of my lane and not where I'm knowledgeable but just suggesting an idea. I fully expect someone more knowledgeable to call me a moron and correct me as I too would like to know, this is actually quite interesting.

Dave J
06-09-2017, 07:11 AM

Everyone I know of is pretty much all M4 or shorter (lots of Mk-18 uppers in use), and has been that way for a long time. If more precision is needed in 5.56mm, the usual answer is a Mk-12 SPR, although the preferred solution now seems to involve a larger caliber.

On the Army side, even conventional light infantry went pure fleet M4 about a decade ago. Reportedly, the USMC senior leadership was highly resistant to carbines for several years ("Rifleman" myth and all), but that seems to have changed under their current Commandant.

IMHO, stretching a 5.56mm out to intermediate ranges is more about the optic, ammo, and shooter, than it is about the barrel length.

Dave J
06-09-2017, 07:29 AM

There are a number of foreign forces supplied by the U.S., as well as contracted security elements in various places, that are already using and familiar with PKMs and AKs. Having a reliable domestic source sounds like a great idea to me, vs. scrounging the world market for guns and repair parts.

And yes, PKMs are awesome.

Nephrology
06-09-2017, 08:35 AM
Having a reliable domestic source sounds like a great idea to me, vs. scrounging the world market for guns and repair parts.

Unfortunately with AKs you get to pick 2 of the 3: high quality, inexpensive, American made.

Mjolnir
06-28-2017, 08:29 AM
Unfortunately with AKs you get to pick 2 of the 3: high quality, inexpensive, American made.

It would not take much to domestically produce quality AKM carbines or PKMs, either, for that matter.

HCM
06-28-2017, 11:06 AM
It would not take much to domestically produce quality AKM carbines or PKMs, either, for that matter.

just $$$$. The problem is the surplus wave of the 1990's, which is now over, planted the idea "AK's are cheap" so investors are hesitant to invest in the capacity to produce a higher quality product on a large scale out of concern the market wont support it.

I recall VLTOR has made high quality PKM's in the U.S. for GOV / MIL contracts in the past.

NickS
06-28-2017, 03:00 PM
I'd like one of each. Please and thank you.

heyscooter
06-28-2017, 06:20 PM

No. There are a few other systems being fielded in the CQB side of things. The arenas that don't need that are fielding AR platforms of their choosing (e.g. 300 blackout)

Arbninftry
06-29-2017, 09:57 PM

There are a few issues-
Depending on the country, there are import/export issues.
Depending on current rounds of Sanctions against Russia or its allies, there could be a supply issue. Or, China, who also has some weapons restrictions. Due to its human rights violations, think Tiananmen Square type stuff.

I bet they would just like something they can rely on. This could bump domestic production someday too.

Arbninftry
06-29-2017, 10:01 PM
There are a number of foreign forces supplied by the U.S., as well as contracted security elements in various places, that are already using and familiar with PKMs and AKs. Having a reliable domestic source sounds like a great idea to me, vs. scrounging the world market for guns and repair parts.

And yes, PKMs are awesome.
You are on the right track. With our forces doing more FID (Foreign Internal Defense) (advisor shit) the government-military beurucrats want their money too.

Moshjath
06-29-2017, 10:37 PM
http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/08/usasoc-envisions-taking-sopmod-into-the-2020s-with-a-new-upper-receiver-group-for-its-m4a1s/

Seems like USASOC has plans of its own for the M4A1. MLOK rail, Surefire WARCOMP, and possibly a mid length gas system.

Odin Bravo One
06-29-2017, 11:06 PM
I still find speculation on such topics quite amusing........ I shouldn't. But I do.

LittleLebowski
06-30-2017, 07:29 AM
We clearly need domestic 5.45 production to supply our domestic AK-74s.