PDA

View Full Version : new single stage press

butler coach
06-06-2017, 12:43 PM
ok its time for me to look at a new single stage press. Not that there is anything wrong with my old herters press, but i just want new.

i am between
RCBS summit press, rock chucker supreme or the MEC marksman

I know the rock chucker is great any one have the other two and any opinions.

rjohnson4405
06-06-2017, 01:25 PM
I only have experience with the Hornady single state, but it was simple enough for a couple of newbies that had never reloaded before.

walker2713
06-06-2017, 02:44 PM
Buy once, cry once.....I've owned several different presses over the years and this is by far the best.

Forster Co-Ax.....

LittleLebowski
06-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Any reason why you need another single stage? Do you have a progressive? #DillonMafia (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=DillonMafia)

butler coach
06-06-2017, 05:34 PM
Have a dillon 550 I use for 9,40,45 etc. wish Dillion made a single stage. use my single stage for all my rifle. Like the Forster co-ax but a lot of coin right now. May have to save up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SecondsCount
06-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Buy once, cry once.....I've owned several different presses over the years and this is by far the best.

Forster Co-Ax.....

Ever since my wife bought me a Co-Ax as a 25th anniversary present, my Rockchucker has collected dust.

The only complaint that I have is the shellholder system. It is a semi-universal style with large (308, etc) and small (223) size which works great but changing between the two is kind of a pain when dealing with a couple little springs. The good part is that you never have to buy shellholders!

I also have a Hornady single stage that I bought used for cheap to setup as a portable rig to take to the range for load development. Typical Hornday, little corners cut here and there but it works.

johnm
06-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Have a dillon 550 I use for 9,40,45 etc. wish Dillion made a single stage. use my single stage for all my rifle. Like the Forster co-ax but a lot of coin right now. May have to save up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dillon doesn't make anything as high quality as the Co-Ax. Lol

johnm
06-06-2017, 08:34 PM
Ever since my wife bought me a Co-Ax as a 25th anniversary present, my Rockchucker has collected dust.

The only complaint that I have is the shellholder system. It is a semi-universal style with large (308, etc) and small (223) size which works great but changing between the two is kind of a pain when dealing with a couple little springs. The good part is that you never have to buy shellholders!

I also have a Hornady single stage that I bought used for cheap to setup as a portable rig to take to the range for load development. Typical Hornday, little corners cut here and there but it works.

Why don't you take the co-ax to the range?

FYI... There's a guy who sells replacement jaws which have a captive spring setup. Makes it trivial to switch.

LittleLebowski
06-06-2017, 08:38 PM
Dillon doesn't make anything as high quality as the Co-Ax. Lol

I didn't see that he claimed they did, but they work well enough at times, like when the US Palma team used a 550 to load their ammo. Still, two wildly different animals.

johnm
06-06-2017, 10:05 PM
I didn't see that he claimed they did, but they work well enough at times, like when the US Palma team used a 550 to load their ammo. Still, two wildly different animals.

Absolutely. I concur on all counts. I actually have and use both.

People have so many wives tales in this hobby.

Hambo
06-07-2017, 05:59 AM
i am between
RCBS summit press, rock chucker supreme or the MEC marksman

I know the rock chucker is great any one have the other two and any opinions.

I used a Rockchucker for about 15 years before I bought a Co-ax. They are solid and work well.

The Co-ax is like a Cadillac. The only way to prime on a Co-ax is to put in one primer at a time. It's slow, but primer depth is very consistent.

I bought a Summit on a whim. It's interesting in that you don't have to mount it on the edge of a bench, but the method of capturing spent primers when set up like that is pretty hokey. It has no priming system.

If you want a Co-ax and can't afford new, buy a used one.
If you don't want to hand prime or if a primer system is important buy the RC.
If you want to be able to set up the press anywhere get a Summit.

butler coach
06-07-2017, 06:31 AM
I used a Rockchucker for about 15 years before I bought a Co-ax. They are solid and work well.

The Co-ax is like a Cadillac. The only way to prime on a Co-ax is to put in one primer at a time. It's slow, but primer depth is very consistent.

I bought a Summit on a whim. It's interesting in that you don't have to mount it on the edge of a bench, but the method of capturing spent primers when set up like that is pretty hokey. It has no priming system.

If you want a Co-ax and can't afford new, buy a used one.
If you don't want to hand prime or if a primer system is important buy the RC.
If you want to be able to set up the press anywhere get a Summit.

thanks for the input i hand prime everything so that is not an issue. I would say as of now i am between the co-ax (because i like high end shit) and the summit so i can easily take to camp and load...
as always this place is full of great information

secondstoryguy
06-07-2017, 07:22 AM
While I agree that a 550 will make really accurate ammo loading on Co-ax is going to be a bit more consistent. Priming is not an issue, get a hand priming tool with a primer tray.

Hambo
06-07-2017, 07:56 AM
I really like the Co-ax primer seating, but I also have a hand priming tool.

Jim Watson
06-07-2017, 08:29 AM
I don't see a need to replace my Rockchucker but if I did, I would look hard at the Redding Big Boss II.
I would not buy another press that did not have a serious primer catcher. The Co Ax does, too, of course.

SecondsCount
06-07-2017, 01:04 PM
Why don't you take the co-ax to the range?

FYI... There's a guy who sells replacement jaws which have a captive spring setup. Makes it trivial to switch.

Not sure. I guess it is because I owned the Hornady before the Co-Ax and just left them setup that way.

Good to know on the captured spring guy...

LittleLebowski
06-07-2017, 01:47 PM
This seems like a good option for portable yet precise reloading.

http://buchananprecisionmachine.com

Odin Bravo One
06-07-2017, 05:28 PM
I used this a lot when I was traveling.

http://www.partspurveyor.com/product-p/E-0810240.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjwyN7JBRCZn7LKgb3ki8kBEiQA aLEsqmCwGLMZzbwByD_bLh0krTsfCByfTDuvrb7LN8xHXLUaAt 6K8P8HAQ

I'll be getting another single stage press once construction on the Ultimate Fuckn Alpha Male Room begins. Interested to see what else comes in with recommendations.

BobM
06-07-2017, 07:12 PM
I used this a lot when I was traveling.

http://www.partspurveyor.com/product-p/E-0810240.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjwyN7JBRCZn7LKgb3ki8kBEiQA aLEsqmCwGLMZzbwByD_bLh0krTsfCByfTDuvrb7LN8xHXLUaAt 6K8P8HAQ

I'll be getting another single stage press once construction on the Ultimate Fuckn Alpha Male Room begins. Interested to see what else comes in with recommendations.
I've resized buckets of revolver cases with one of those.

Hambo
06-08-2017, 06:03 AM
Is this the guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BpFD7NbvL8

Hambo
06-08-2017, 07:06 AM
I emailed the guy in the YouTube link above. None currently in stock, but he is working on the next batch.

johnm
06-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Is this the guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BpFD7NbvL8

Yes.