PDA

View Full Version : June Rangemaster Newsletter

Tom Givens
06-04-2017, 08:06 PM
The June issue of Rangemaster’s monthly newsletter is available at

http://rangemaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/2017-06_RFTS-Newsletter.pdf

There is a lot of food for thought in this issue.

blues
06-04-2017, 08:42 PM
Thank you, Tom. Good read.

Lex Luthier
06-05-2017, 09:40 AM
Got it now. Thanks!

Doc_Glock
06-05-2017, 09:51 AM
As always thank you for your contributions.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Great articles. Karl Rehn is right on the money with the training class paradigm. The concept of the 'good enough student' and bringing them up to speed is an important one for today's world. I know too many of these. Getting them to abandon that world view is hard. I do think that we see a gender different in 'good enough' types.

Some males think they are intrinsically good enough with hubris.
Some males are not willing to try to learn as they feel that a test will show inadequacy and that challenges their ego and perceived place in the dominance hierarchy.

I started with Karl years ago, when I moved to TX and UT Austin had a continuing ed basic pistol course. I took it instead of Greek Cooking and Wine. I had the view of a scientist and that do something, one needs training and research. Thus, screwing up and looking silly didn't matter that much.

For some women - I think they might be burdened with some good enough male partner who dampens down their training as 'they' will teach them or they don't want the challenge, so they deny the need for it.

RJ
06-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Good read.

I like Karl's 'bite size' training curriculum approach.

Not everyone wants / needs / can afford a 2 day weekend class.

JohnO
06-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Great articles. Karl Rehn is right on the money with the training class paradigm. The concept of the 'good enough student' and bringing them up to speed is an important one for today's world. I know too many of these. Getting them to abandon that world view is hard. I do think that we see a gender different in 'good enough' types.

Some males think they are intrinsically good enough with hubris.
Some males are not willing to try to learn as they feel that a test will show inadequacy and that challenges their ego and perceived place in the dominance hierarchy.

I always knew the percentage of those who train is very low and the more I think about it 1% is probably accurate or even high.

I guess I fall into a group at the other side of the Bell Curve. I have been to more classes than I can count. I sometimes question if I'm getting anything from going through the motions. Unlike the male hubris mentioned above what keeps me going is the constant desire for improvement.

Since "hubris" was mentioned I will link this. http://pistol-training.com/archives/4804 I'm one of the three guys who caught Todd's attention. The other two guys are almost always with me still today at every training event I attend. We bust each other's balls a little bit, occasionally throw a shot into the other's target. They are darn good shooters and I'm proud to call them friends. We all still go to classes with a mindset of what can we learn here to add to our tool box. No matter what we know or can do we always are willing to try something different and evaluate it. (As a side note the thirty years comment was an exaggeration. Perhaps accurate collectively. My grip, stance and presentation are all different today and I credit Todd for the impetus that got the ball rolling in a different direction. It's where I broke out of the mold and expanded my horizons.)

I think the thing that keeps me going is a felling of never being good enough for that real event. Especially when you listen to folks like Tom Givens (whom I have not yet had the good fortune to train with) when he talks about his student's success rate. It's not the wins that interest me as much as the losses and as Tom calls them the forfeits. Forfeits are easy, carry your gun. Don't get caught without your gun. However the guy who does everything correctly but through uncontrollable circumstances he looses is for me the the reason I train regularly. I figure the more you sharpen your edge the better you stack the odds in your own favor.

Sadly I know a number of guys who consider themselves trained because they have been to a NRA Safety Course to get their permit. I have tried to educate a few or motivate them to seek additional (real) training but it typically is a nonstarter. I did get one coworker to start down the road to competence. It's nice when the light bulb comes on and they come to you and tell you that they "didn't know what they didn't know".

AMC
06-05-2017, 02:03 PM
In LE I am surrounded by ' good enough' shooters.....as in "it's good enough for combat!". When I point out that very likely the Dynamics of a shooting they will be involved in would have more in common with a "hostage rescue" scenario, in terms of Innocents moving about, poor backstop, moving Target, etc,...........I get the blank stare. Cause if they're not 'good enough', they suck....which is a hard medicine to swallow.