PDA

View Full Version : Summer job ideas

breakingtime91
06-03-2017, 08:25 PM
Any one have any ideas of a summer or part time job you can do at home? Been looking for something when class is out and haven't come up with anything.

Guinnessman
06-03-2017, 08:28 PM
I don't have any suggestions for working from home, but man I would jump on a job at a gun shop or range in a heartbeat! It's cash to fuel the hobby!

My favorite summer job was as a looper (caddy) at a local golf course. Good luck bro! Make it fun!

StraitR
06-03-2017, 08:29 PM
There are scores of network marketing/MLM companies if it must be from home. That, or strip on cam. You been working out, right? That's all I got bro.

breakingtime91
06-03-2017, 08:38 PM
It doesn't have to be at home, but that would make it easy. If not, if someone here has something in their area, I can travel.

TGS
06-03-2017, 08:40 PM
Where you living these days?

EMS and hospitals hire a lot of per diem employees. At my last job we had several teachers that worked their minimum during the school year, then picked up as many hours they could during the summer. You could work on an ambulance doing 911 or interfacility, work at an amusement park, or work for at a construction site doing work safety stuff which is what my wife does. She works for MedCor and loves the company, they're nationwide and HQ'd in Indiana.

If EMS is not your cake, you could work your way into any number of tech jobs within a hospital setting. Many could provide a full time source of income if you lose your primary job, too.

My sister is a teacher and used to teach summer camp at $26/hour during the summer. 12 months of teaching was too much for her, so she started driving instead. She used to be a limo driver prior to the camp job, so she picked up a gig for a taxi company in her beach town. She only made $9/hour at that, so after 1 season she started Uber instead and has been very happy with it. As opposed to a taxi she doesn't have to deal with rude people, sloppy drunks, and usually makes more in tips. The flexibility is awesome as well, as she can Uber on the way home from proctoring SATs or the likes if she has some free time, but not enough free time that would allow you a full shift at a regular job.

Wildland firefighting may be in need during the summer, depending on where you are.

Last but not least, at least throughout the north east there are TONS of Class B (coach bus) driver jobs available. So many in fact that the big companies will pay their full time employees extra + expenses from around the country to live in a hotel (on the companies dime) from DC up through Boston for the summer. It could be a great way for you to see the country, but there may be jobs available for you locally too. I think their starting pay is usually $15-$22/hour depending on where you are.

ETA: the last thing I thought of is putting your USMC background to use. Not sure if a WPPS contract could fit in your timeframe or not....

breakingtime91
06-03-2017, 08:43 PM
Where you living these days?

EMS and hospitals hire a lot of per diem employees. At my last job we had several teachers that worked their minimum during the school year, then picked up as many hours they could during the summer. You could work on an ambulance doing 911 or interfacility, work at an amusement park, or work for at a construction site doing work safety stuff which is what my wife does. She works for MedCor and loves the company, they're nationwide and HQ'd in Indiana.

If EMS is not your cake, you could work your way into any number of tech jobs within a hospital setting. Many could provide a full time source of income if you lose your primary job, too.

My sister is a teacher and used to teach summer camp at $26/hour during the summer. 12 months of teaching was too much for her, so she started driving instead. She used to be a limo driver prior to the camp job, so she picked up a gig for a taxi company in her beach town. She only made $9/hour at that, so after 1 season she started Uber instead and has been very happy with it. As opposed to a taxi she doesn't have to deal with rude people, sloppy drunks, and usually makes more in tips. The flexibility is awesome as well, as she can Uber on the way home from proctoring SATs or the likes if she has some free time, but not enough free time that would allow you a full shift at a regular job.

Wildland firefighting may be in need during the summer, depending on where you are.

Last but not least, at least throughout the north east there are TONS of Class B (coach bus) driver jobs available. So many in fact that the big companies will pay their full time employees extra + expenses from around the country to live in a hotel (on the companies dime) from DC up through Boston for the summer. It could be a great way for you to see the country, but there may be jobs available for you locally too.

Dude I never thought of being an Uber..

john c
06-04-2017, 12:27 AM
How much do you want to make, and what skills do you have?

In college I drove big rigs hauling produce from farm fields to processing plants. It was 16 hours a day (in state rules) in those days. I think it's 12 hours a day now, seven days a week. You get paid 25% of the load. The companies teach you to drive class A commercial rigs, and put you up in bunk houses at the canneries. We worked from July 5th until school started.

Getting an EMT cert would open up some opportunities. It'll take a while to get to the point where you started making more than minimum wage, but long term it'll pay and allow you to stay in your local area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scott
06-04-2017, 01:37 AM
Uber/Lyft (I'm told lyft is better to drive for, but it probably depends on your area)
If your field is tech based at all, write either phone apps or FOSS (publish it on a github); having code that isn't owned by anyone else can be big for tech jobs.

Duelist
06-04-2017, 04:44 AM
Go to Alaska and work in a cannery or on a fishing boat.

This is a really good question- I have a pair of kids who need to get jobs. My son who just graduated from high school applied at s tire store because, as he says, he knows nothing about cars or car maintenance, and it would be a good set of life skills to acquire that he could get working there for a few months. My daughter is a fine arts major, and is between her junior and senior year. She applied at a summer school program to be an aid teaching art to little kids.

Hambo
06-04-2017, 05:38 AM
Get the nastiest, shittiest summer job you can find. It's great motivation when you go back to school. Seasonal farm hand, foundry worker, construction laborer would be good choices.

Cookie Monster
06-04-2017, 08:26 AM
I know a bunch of teacher friends who have summer landscaping businesses.

T Smith
06-04-2017, 02:32 PM
Some of my (math) teacher friends would tutor and those who did stayed as busy as they wanted to be.

David S.
06-04-2017, 10:17 PM
Dude I never thought of being an Uber..

See if there are any Amazon Flex opportunities available too.

JohnO
06-04-2017, 10:30 PM
When the Barrel price for crude oil was sky high my son's college buddies were going to North Dakota and making excellent money in the fracking business. Most of that dried up when oil prices dropped.

UNK
06-05-2017, 03:51 PM
quick search https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/jobs-making-money/wfh/ways-to-make-money-at-home/

txdpd
06-05-2017, 11:13 PM
See if there are any Amazon Flex opportunities available too.

I talked to the guy that delivered my stuff today. He said most people probably make less than minimum wage delivering packages in their personal vehicles. He said he did ok, but he had an old E series van, and could carry a lot of packages. If you're using a personal vehicle for business, depreciation can really cut into profits.

I used to drive a truck, driving a truck is a very dangerous job, very dangerous. Woodland fire fighting, roughnecking, commercial fishing, and a lot of others mentioned are also very dangerous. You got to provide for your family over the summer, you also need to provide for your family long term and not get killed or disabled doing a seasonal job.

My sister used to teach elementary school. During the summer she taught SAT/PSAT/ACT prep classes at a community college.

BillSWPA
06-05-2017, 11:39 PM
The problem with most multilevel systems is that by the time you hear about the company, so has everyone else. Everyone else has also probably been asked to join a few other systems as well. If anyone does go this route, pick something with a product that you really like, and that you believe people will happily sign up for just to be a customer. Let the business builders self-select.

breakingtime91
06-05-2017, 11:57 PM
So right now, I am doing odd jobs, like mowing lawns and house sitting. After a trip in July, I am probably gonna work for a GNC store full time until class picks back up, and then it will be part time.

Mr. Goodtimes
06-06-2017, 05:20 AM
If you're in an area where logging is present see if you can get a job for the summer logging. I wouldn't recommend getting a job at a gun shop. It will expose you to the cleti that are the average American gun owner and it will ruin you. It's taken me nearly two years to recover from my three year stint as an illustrious gun salesman and to be honest, I don't think I'll ever fully recover. There is some level of permanent damage.

Josh Runkle
06-06-2017, 11:48 AM
I had the same experience as Mr. Goodtimes working in a gun shop on saturdays for 2 years. But...I did work at a place that would let me buy anything at cost, which was a nice way to get some pretty good savings.

Getting an EMT cert is relatively easy and can lead to some fun, educational work.

RJ
06-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Getting an EMT cert is relatively easy and can lead to some fun, educational work.

What's the tl;dr for an EMT cert?

I'm in Florida Nov-March and might be interested in EMT part time. That or getting muzzled at a LGS lol.

On topic: A lot of RVers participate in Work Camping; which is seasonal or part time jobs. I know zip about it, but might be worth a web search:

http://www.work-camping.com/

Josh Runkle
06-06-2017, 01:44 PM
What's the tl;dr for an EMT cert?

Perhaps it's my ignorance, but I don't understand what you're asking here. Could you re-phrase?

RevolverRob
06-06-2017, 01:52 PM
No one mentioned gigolo?

The Earth's oldest profession is still very viable...

I think I mentioned before surveying, summer surveying/construction crews usually need help. You may also look for a job doing archeology field work. Pay is usually garbage, but it's fun. Once you get a summer or two under your belt, you can usually make summer money doing resource management work making 12-15/hour plus per diem. If your school has any kind of training classes in GeoSpatial work (ArcGIS), surveying, or intro to archeology all can give you the skillsets to get into these fields. Long-term if you move down south, we do archeology/survey work all year 'round.

Other things - Summer pools almost always need Life Guards. Carpenters always need extra hands. And HVAC guys always need some skinny kid to crawl in attics/under houses running duct work (which is one of the worst damn jobs you can do...trust me).

orionz06
06-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Anyone mention holsters?

RJ
06-06-2017, 07:38 PM
Perhaps it's my ignorance, but I don't understand what you're asking here. Could you re-phrase?

Sorry about that.

Briefly, how long does it take to get an EMT Cert, what's involved and what are the prerequisites?

David S.
06-06-2017, 07:52 PM
I talked to the guy that delivered my stuff today. He said most people probably make less than minimum wage delivering packages in their personal vehicles. He said he did ok, but he had an old E series van, and could carry a lot of packages. If you're using a personal vehicle for business, depreciation can really cut into profits.

Not surprised by this. OTOH, an Uber driver in Houston basically told me the same thing a couple months.

TGS
06-06-2017, 07:58 PM
Sorry about that.

Briefly, how long does it take to get an EMT Cert, what's involved and what are the prerequisites?

Prereqs are generally not be a criminal type of person, and have a BLS-Healthcare Provider cert (usually AHA or Red Cross) by the start of class. This used to be known as CPR for the Professional Rescuer.

The current NAEMT curriculum is 250 hours, broken down as 200 classroom, 10 hours observation on an ambulance or ER, and 40 hours home study. The old standard was 120 hours total, which some states still use. Not sure about Florida. The 250 hour course can usually be taken as a 5 week, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week setup or spread over nights and weekends for 6 months.

Note that a big portion of EMT work is lifting people, often in awkward positions where proper form isn't possible. I'll be honest and say you should not do this job at your age. Most people in EMS at your age are/have already transitioned to an instructor job, supervisor or management position, or some other type of support role within their respective system.

If you just want the knowledge, get an Emergency Medical Responder cert. It will give you all the knowledge you need for handling a medical emergency (virtually the same as an EMT) without the fluff needed for actually working on an ambulance. Most often a 60 hour course, your class will likely be filled with police officers, firemen, life guards, camp counselors or scouts/scout leaders, etc. Generally people who may deal with emergencies but are not EMS. Great idea for a firearms instructor or RSO, too.

TGS
06-06-2017, 08:10 PM
Not surprised by this. OTOH, an Uber driver in Houston basically told me the same thing a couple months.

Depends.

My sister, servicing a busy beach area during the summer, can make a few hundred bucks a day on a good weekend. She can basically drive the whole day, or if she's busy or there aren't that many fares she just sits at home until a fare comes in. It's a lot different if the flexibility suits your specific situation compared to someone being a "full time" Uber driver who goes out of their way to do it and has to sit in the car running A/C until they get a fare.

Working into your life, good. Acting like an taxi: bad.

During the school year, not so much....but if she's driving an hour home from school and makes $60 in fares working her way back over the course of 2.5 hours, she's still coming out ahead of minimum wage considering she had to make the same drive anyway.

Josh Runkle
06-06-2017, 08:11 PM
Sorry about that.

Every single state has their own rules. But, most states are fairly similar. For the majority of states:

Step 1: Sign up for an EMT class at a community college, university, career center, hospital or EMS specific school. Prices vary wildly between $300-2,000 depending on career center vs university, and which state you are in. $500-700 is pretty normal. I would take it at the cheapest place possible. Universities will still usually give you credit for the class once you hold your certification, even if you took it elsewhere.

Step 2: Pass and finish the course. The course is usually around 130 hours, but may be anywhere between 100-250 hours depending on the state. A 3 month class is typically 2 nights a week for 3-4 hours and most of Saturday to either study at home or go to a clinical at a hospital or do a ride along on an ambulance. There are classes that are more condensed and only 3 weeks long, and classes that might be one night a week and 4-5 months long. You learn how to handle 95% of emergencies. Anything ranging from medical emergencies to serious trauma like multiple fractures or gunshot wounds to things like serious cardiac emergencies or how to deliver a baby. Classes are usually fun, and instructors are usually like-minded people. For example: one of my instructors would send you home if you didn't have a pocketknife on you, as they believed an edged tool was essential to the job.

Step 3: You register with your state and probably the NREMT (national test) to take an exam to get the certification.

Step 4: Your instructor signs off to the state and/or NREMT that you passed the class

Step 5: You take and pass the test for certification.

Step 6: Maintain certification by completing continuing education.

Mr. Goodtimes
06-06-2017, 09:34 PM
Sorry about that.

We're in the same area. I did my EMT at HCC. I would contact them but when I went through about five years ago I believe you just had to have a minimum score ok the SAT/ACT or CPT, if not you had to take some short bus English and math first. BCLS was provided as part of the class. Class length I believe was about one semester and was done two full days a week or four half days depending on how you setup your lecture lab schedule. You're also required to do clinical rotations.

I wouldn't waste your time on the course unless you plan to become a medic. BLS jobs generally suck. You're partner is most likely a bag of ass reject of some sort, you'll spend you're entire shift transporting bullshit, non emergency patients and likely getting shit on by the fire department you're transporting for, the pay also ranges from shit to slightly worse than shit (Typically around $10/hr).

At least that's how BLS works around here.

Edit: I wouldn't waste my time on the course to work BLS. If you have no intention of working BLS but want some good medical knowledge, it's worth it. You'll learn how to treat most immediately life threatening conditions, especially traumatic. Most of the stuff we do at work that really saves lives are BLS skills.

john c
06-07-2017, 04:07 AM
Note that a big portion of EMT work is lifting people, often in awkward positions where proper form isn't possible. I'll be honest and say you should not do this job at your age. Most people in EMS at your age are/have already transitioned to an instructor job, supervisor or management position, or some other type of support role within their respective system.

TGS is correct that traditional EMT jobs are very physical, ie on an ambulance, there are other EMT jobs which are not. One of which is working at a summer camp as the EMT on staff, or ancillary medical jobs like that. Working in a Emergency Dept at a hospital will be somewhat physical, but much less so than an ambulance. Hospitals have a bunch of nifty lifting apparatus to reduce staff injuries. You will definitely see a different side of life working in a busy emergency room at a hospital. If you worked there very part time, you would likely enjoy the crazy pace, and not get burned out by it.

Josh Runkle
06-07-2017, 08:36 AM
I agree with John C. It depends on where you live but there are tons of non-traditional EMT jobs. Camp EMT, Range EMT (yes, some ranges pay to have one on grounds, it may lower their insurance costs), water parks often have them on grounds. There are EMTs that work on movie sets, for races like a Tough Mudder, etc...check out "Event Medics". There are all sorts of fun jobs you can do as an EMT.

Mr. Goodtimes
06-07-2017, 12:15 PM
I agree with John C. It depends on where you live but there are tons of non-traditional EMT jobs. Camp EMT, Range EMT (yes, some ranges pay to have one on grounds, it may lower their insurance costs), water parks often have them on grounds. There are EMTs that work on movie sets, for races like a Tough Mudder, etc...check out "Event Medics". There are all sorts of fun jobs you can do as an EMT.

At least around here I've found most of those jobs want a Paramedic, though, not an EMT-B.

Josh Runkle
06-07-2017, 12:23 PM
At least around here I've found most of those jobs want a Paramedic, though, not an EMT-B.

Maybe I'm oblivious, since I'm a paramedic, but I think most of these types of jobs around Ohio only require EMT. (Ohio uses the National Standard...no more EMT-B or EMT-P certs, just EMR, EMT, AEMT, Paramedic)

Mr. Goodtimes
06-08-2017, 10:35 PM
Maybe I'm oblivious, since I'm a paramedic, but I think most of these types of jobs around Ohio only require EMT. (Ohio uses the National Standard...no more EMT-B or EMT-P certs, just EMR, EMT, AEMT, Paramedic)

I'd wager things vary by state and even by region/municipality. Around here pretty much any decent type of gig requires you to be a medic. Also, all of the major events such as pro and college level football games, anything at the stadium, concerts, fairs etc... are covered by the local fire departments. Only events I can think of that have EMT's on site are some of the high school sporting events, and they use one of the local BLS company's.

I also don't mean to speak poorly about EMT's/BLS, however, my professional experience with them has been mostly less than good. There are some good ones but they're a small minority and fighting an uphill losing battle.

TGS
06-08-2017, 11:21 PM
I'd wager things vary by state and even by region/municipality. Around here pretty much any decent type of gig requires you to be a medic. Also, all of the major events such as pro and college level football games, anything at the stadium, concerts, fairs etc... are covered by the local fire departments. Only events I can think of that have EMT's on site are some of the high school sporting events, and they use one of the local BLS company's.

I also don't mean to speak poorly about EMT's/BLS, however, my professional experience with them has been mostly less than good. There are some good ones but they're a small minority and fighting an uphill losing battle.

I'd agree that "YMMV" based on where you're at. In some areas the opportunities will be limited and shitty (apparently Florida), in other places there are lots of fun opportunities. It all depends on the staffing and response models driving EMS as an industry in your state.

TGS
06-10-2017, 01:10 PM
FWIW, I'm sitting with my sister and she is telling me that she's averaging $40/hour with Uber right now. That's probably high because she lives in a beach town, but maybe if there's a busy college scene next to you it would be worthwhile.