PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

holmes168
06-03-2017, 11:14 AM
Shot 10 of my reloads today- wanted to test out of a new pistol. No issues with any of them.
After a successful 10 round test- what is the next step? I was thinking- make 30 rounds for the next range session and continue to make higher round counts as the reloads prove to work.

Thoughts from the reloading group???!!!

Chuteur
06-03-2017, 11:36 AM
Personally, and I am no world expert, just a home workshop reloader; I try around 10 - 20 and if they work I happily carry on and knock up a 100. After that it is all systems go, once I have a good load I don't try and overthink it, I reload to shoot, I do not shoot to reload.

As long as you keep your charge constant then you should have no issues*, yes different manufacturers primers can vary a bit, but not not so you would notice. The other factor is bullet weight.

When I am cranking the handle on my dillon I always have my eye on the powder in the case.

Note:* My logic behind this is that when I blew stuff up in the military my calculations were based on the amount of bang-stuff (powder), not on the detonator (primer) and the container (case + bullet) only mattered if it was a shaped charge.

Other people will have different ideas.

Rich@CCC
06-03-2017, 11:36 AM
What is your ultimate goal? Accuracy, economy, specialized load?

For plinking ammo, I load up 20-30 to test for performance/reliability. If they work, I load in bulk with that recipe. Any change in components and the process starts over.

KhanRad
06-03-2017, 05:10 PM
For me, my bulk reloads try to mimic the velocity and accuracy of my duty/defensive load. Since I carry 147gr Speer G2s, my 147gr reloads are loaded to a similar performance level to have similar accuracy, similar recoil, and similar point of aim.

If you goal is similar to mine, you might consider shooting your reloads through a chronograph to see if the velocities are similar. If you don't have one, you can do a careful recoil comparison so that they are in the same ballpark at least.

JCS
06-03-2017, 05:47 PM
Shot 10 of my reloads today- wanted to test out of a new pistol. No issues with any of them.
After a successful 10 round test- what is the next step? I was thinking- make 30 rounds for the next range session and continue to make higher round counts as the reloads prove to work.

Thoughts from the reloading group???!!!

Do whatever makes you comfortable. When I first started loading I made 10 just like you and then moved up to 100.

It's intimidating at first, at least it was for me. So just do what makes you comfortable!

For me, my bulk reloads try to mimic the velocity and accuracy of my duty/defensive load. Since I carry 147gr Speer G2s, my 147gr reloads are loaded to a similar performance level to have similar accuracy, similar recoil, and similar point of aim.

If you goal is similar to mine, you might consider shooting your reloads through a chronograph to see if the velocities are similar. If you don't have one, you can do a careful recoil comparison so that they are in the same ballpark at least.

Would you mind sharing your loads or your method to find a load that mimics your carry loads?

Is it just finding one with equal bullet weight and velocity as your carry loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KhanRad
06-03-2017, 05:56 PM
Would you mind sharing your loads or your method to find a load that mimics your carry loads?

Is it just finding one with equal bullet weight and velocity as your carry loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not really rocket science. Find a bullet of the same weight, get it's velocity up to the average velocity of my duty loads, and then see how it does on accuracy. If accuracy is off, I try a different powder and see if that helps. If changing powders doesn't help, then I try a different bullet. 9mm is pretty easy to come up with a matching load. .40S&W can be a PITA since it is very finicky about accuracy in 180gr loads.

Wobblie
06-04-2017, 07:53 AM
I agree with Rich, it depends on your goal. I tend to shoot to reload, always searching for the perfect bunny-fart IDPA load, one that cycles the slide sharply but still is low in blast, noise and recoil. It's become a hobby unto itself.

holmes168
06-04-2017, 12:33 PM
The goal is pretty much just plinking for now. I spent some time this morning making 60 rounds for my next range trip. Knock those 60 out of the park and bump up to 100.

Thank you for the advice!