PDA

View Full Version : Week 219: Changing Gears

Mr_White
06-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Week 219: Changing Gears

Results may be posted until July 2nd, 2017.

Designed by: Todd Louis Green
Range: 5 or 7 yards
Target: Two 3x5 cards and one 8" circle
Start Position: Varies (see below)
Rounds Fired: 48

This DotW is intended to practice engaging different size targets at appropriate speed: go fast when you can, go slow when you must.

If you're confident you can hit a 3x5 card at 7yd, perform the drill at that distance. Otherwise, try it at 5yd.

Start with an 8" circle target (we'll call this target Middle). Place a 3x5 card one foot above and slightly to the left of the circle (we'll call this Left), and another 3x5 card one foot above and slightly to the right of the circle (we'll call this Right).

On the beep, engage the targets as quickly as you can guarantee hits. Each string of fire you'll shoot eight total rounds. There are six strings of fire. You will engage the targets in the following order:
1. two rounds to Left, two rounds to Middle, two rounds to Right, two rounds to Middle again
2. 2 Middle, 2 Right, 2 Middle, 2 Left
3. 2 Right, 2 Middle, 2 Left, 2 Middle
4. repeat #1
5. repeat #2
6. repeat #3

Every time you engage a target zone, you shoot it twice. You always engage the 8" circle twice each string (2 shots each time for a total of four).

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:
distance (5yd or 7yd)
starting position (ready position, open holster, retention holster, or concealed)
time and hits for each string
aggregate time and hits for all six strings

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Francis
06-04-2017, 05:48 AM
I tried this without a timer because my timer app is unreliable at my indoor range. Failed on many levels

distance - 5yd
starting position - ready position
time and hits for each string - N/A
aggregate time and hits for all six strings - N/A

What I learned...

I can't read: "...as quickly as you can guarantee hits..." I tried to be fast and ended up missing almost half my 3x5 shots.
When I think I need to shoot fast I jerk and miss, even when I think sights are aligned and I'm trying to have a good trigger pull.
Almost 100% of my shots were left of center. I really do want to figure that out and correct.

I'll try this one again as soon as I can.

MVS
06-07-2017, 08:31 PM
7 yards
Open holster
1) 6.0
2) 5.49
3) 5.39
4) 5.12
5) 5.51
6) 5.01

Total; 32.52 clean

DG12
06-07-2017, 08:42 PM
distance (5yd or 7yd): 7yd
starting position (ready position, open holster, retention holster, or concealed): concealed
time and hits for each string:
6.73 (-2L)
5.26 (-1R)
5.73 (-1R)
L=left index card, R=right index card
aggregate time and hits for all six strings: 35.16/44

Francis
06-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Round 2 without a timer because my timer app is unreliable at my indoor range. I also slowed down on the 3x5s so I could guarantee a hit.

Distance - 5yd
Starting position - ready position
Time and hits for each string - N/A
Aggregate time and hits for all six strings - N/A

What I learned...

Slowing down was very helpful on the 3x5s. My focus was on getting the hit rather than speed.
Again almost 100% of my shots were left of center. I've noticed in dry fire that my grip is biased towards the left. I have to make a very deliberate effort to keep the front sight centered. My strong hand wrist wants to lock straight in line with my arm bones. During 3x5 drills today I tried to focus on keeping strong wrist slightly rotated to the right and extra strong support hand grip. It all went out the window on the 8" circle.