PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Beagles

RevolverRob
06-01-2017, 01:55 AM
I have owned a bunch of dog breeds over the years, but never a Beagle. The wife and I are considering adopting a ~15-month old Beagle from a local rescue. Our basic wants in a dog:

1) Even tempered
2) Medium Sized 20-50 pounds
3) Must like or at least tolerate cats
4) Acceptable off-leash manners when in fenced area
5) Trainable to not bark/howl at every single thing
6) Couch snuggler for cold winter Sundays.

Our willingness:

1) Obedience training with a local school to get the basics down, then regularly reinforced training at home, very much considering at least intro agility/scent hound training. Not opposed to SAR training.
2) 2-3 daily short walks (around the block) and 1-daily long walk/fenced dog park visit. Playtime at home. In winter, we will supplement with indoor play time (we have space in a common area of our building to setup a small agility course, let the dog off leash) and visits to indoor dog park
3) Ultimately, we'd like the dog to be trustable at home without having to crate them, but we are okay with crating as necessary (we, unfortunately, cannot be around the dog 24/7).
4) Maximum alone-time for the dog during the day would be 6-8 hours.

___

So if you have some experience with Beagles or other breeds that might fit our criteria (considering a standard Schnauzer as well??) - let me hear what you've got. Do you think a Beagle will be too obstinate and independent to successfully train given our limitations? How about energy level? We want an active dog, but we do need to be able to get their energy out after a 1-2 mile walk and a 30-60 minute play time/training session in the house. Issues with crating? I've read some conflicting thoughts on whether or not crating helps or does not help Beagles with noise control when alone.

Other thoughts in general?

Thanks!

NerdAlert
06-01-2017, 03:14 AM
I grew up with a beagle as my first dog. We did not have her professionally trained, but she was very well tempered. I imagine if socialized with cats she would have handled it. Hounds in general are tough to teach "manners". They tend to be more independent than dogs bred to be companions or protectors. They are bred to be hunters, and mine was trained to hunt. As such, she would not behave off leash, she would hunt. When leashed she would also try to hunt. Mine did not have any formal obedience training but she listened very well in the house. She was not excessively noisy, but would howl at animals in the yard or when people showed up. She was a great dog but very independent. She would not fetch, play with toys much, etc. Looking back I'm glad I had the experience I did teaching her to hunt and hunting with her, and she loved it. For a first dog I wish I had gotten something more "dog-like" that would have behaved off leash, played fetch, and did dog things instead of just going nose down after rabbits as soon as we stepped outside. Good luck whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artemas2
06-01-2017, 06:09 AM
I have a beagle mix that I raised from a pup. My experience had pretty much been what you are looking for, but it took some maturing to get there. Hes 5 1/2 now. been an excellent friend for me.

He was in a crate every night and when we were away, for about 2 years before I felt he was ok alone. Now he waits on my bed whenever I leave.
Daily exercise is must for weight management, Beagles always claim they are hungry especially when bored. I do twice daily Frisbee plus 2 miles throughout the day, pee walks, bored walks. Smell things walks.
When outside. no matter how well trained, beagles are single minded nose first dogs. If they smell something interesting it can take a lot to get their attention back.
They are prone to separation anxiety, mine throws a good howling fit whenever I leave him alone. He has not ever destroyed anything which I am grateful for.
You will know every time an animal/person enters your yard, even when its pitch black and all the window blinds are closed.
Learn to love the sound of squeaky toys (buy good quality ones)
Never had a cat with him, we have had newborn lambs and goats in the house, after a generous sniffing he pretty much ignored them
Buy quality food if you can.
Beagles can be trained, but it takes some patience. Some times I think my guy is stupid(or just part blue heeler), he acts surprised every time he checks out the electric livestock fences

Drang
06-01-2017, 06:15 AM
And then there's the whole Sopwith Camel thing...

(Someone was going to say it, why not me? :cool:)

Hambo
06-01-2017, 06:18 AM
I love beagles because I hunted with them as a kid, but like NerdAlert I wouldn't get one just as a pet. If you get a pup you can probably teach it anything you want and crate train it. I'm not sure how a 15 month old would work out. The only time I saw them truly worn out was after covering a couple hundred acres while hunting.