PDA

View Full Version : Another bounty hunter shootout?

TheNewbie
05-31-2017, 11:41 AM
This is why you stick with Reno Raines and Bobby Sixkiller for your bounty hunting needs.

Just how common are these things?

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/05/31/3-dead-after-shootout-at-north-texas-car-dealership/

Totem Polar
05-31-2017, 11:50 AM
"When the smoke cleared, all three men were dead."

Yikes. If this sort of thing is a problem, there appears to be a self-correcting function...

GuanoLoco
05-31-2017, 12:55 PM
3 professionals at work. For better or for worse.

Rex G
05-31-2017, 01:04 PM
Yep, well before the news media said so, I figured this was a couple "bail enforcement" guys encountering a fugitive who was, as J.B. Books would say, "Willing."

critter
05-31-2017, 01:11 PM
From the story, it seems they impersonated federal agents (?). But at least they had the right guy this time. It would also appear they acted in self defense if they are legal bounty hunters. Of course, their actions did place others at risk, but I have no idea whatsoever what the laws applicable to bounty hunters entail.

This one, according to what is in the article, is quite different from the Walmart/highway/assassination shooting in just about every way other than the initiation of violence took place in a parking lot with innocent people around, and the bounty hunters were also killed.

Peally
05-31-2017, 01:36 PM
Bounty hunting, the ultimate cool job ruined by a 90% corrupt workforce.

TheNewbie
05-31-2017, 01:40 PM
From the story, it seems they impersonated federal agents (?). But at least they had the right guy this time. It would also appear they acted in self defense if they are legal bounty hunters. Of course, their actions did place others at risk, but I have no idea whatsoever what the laws applicable to bounty hunters entail.

This one, according to what is in the article, is quite different from the Walmart/highway/assassination shooting in just about every way other than the initiation of violence took place in a parking lot with innocent people around, and the bounty hunters were also killed.

Right, but if they posed as federal agents that's a serious issue. Of course, they may have told the guy that they were "bail bond agents" or something and he took it for federal agents. I'm convinced a large portion of the people don't know the difference between a city cop, state trooper, and bounty hunter.

TAZ
05-31-2017, 01:44 PM
Jesus. The stupid was strong there. Thankfully only the stupid got hurt this time.

Hambo
05-31-2017, 02:07 PM
All's well that ends well, but the owner of the dealership is a fucking idiot for not checking ID and letting them stick around to endanger his employees and customers.

Chuteur
05-31-2017, 02:20 PM
All's well that ends well, but the owner of the dealership is a fucking idiot for not checking ID and letting them stick around to endanger his employees and customers.

I always found people who have something to hide, or worry about themselves, tend to be instantly co-operative......in a beyond being helpful sort of a way.

Greenville, just up the road from me, they should have just bean-bagged the guy like Steve McQueen did.

TheNewbie
05-31-2017, 02:23 PM
Greenville is the only place I've been where even the Chic Fil a was dirty.

DallasBronco
05-31-2017, 02:46 PM
Greenville is the only place I've been where even the Chic Fil a was dirty.
Yeah, but at least the service is slow...I work in Greenville. It's a real garden spot.:p

HCM
05-31-2017, 02:55 PM
Right, but if they posed as federal agents that's a serious issue. Of course, they may have told the guy that they were "bail bond agents" or something and he took it for federal agents. I'm convinced a large portion of the people don't know the difference between a city cop, state trooper, and bounty hunter.

I've personally arrested a Bail Enforcement Agent who had impersonated federal agents multiple times. He had a counterfeit badge and credentials and even made up counterfeit business cards identifying himself as a federal agent.

In another instance, myself and my team mates were questioned about our whereabouts due to a complaint resulting from what turned out to be another group of bail agents impersonating federal officers.

Point being, it is not uncommon for bail agents to misrepresent themselves as LEO's.

critter
05-31-2017, 03:03 PM
I've personally arrested a Bail Enforcement Agent who had impersonated federal agents multiple times. He had a counterfeit badge and credentials and even made up counterfeit business cards identifying himself as a federal agent.

In another instance, myself and my team mates were questioned about our whereabouts due to a complaint resulting from what turned out to be another group of bail agents impersonating federal officers.

Point being, it is not uncommon for bail agents to misrepresent themselves as LEO's.

Interesting.. hmmm, in similar scenario of the article (where everyone actually lived), since the arrest was initiated with the commission of a crime by the arresting parties, could that have created legal wrangling grounds for later negating the arrest? Seems unlikely that once in custody the guy would simply be released to flee again, but with the way things go sometimes...

NGP
05-31-2017, 03:47 PM
Have any of you LE guys ever encountered any squared away bounty hunters? Or do the stories that make the news do well to represent the whole lot of them?

TheNewbie
05-31-2017, 05:42 PM
Yeah, but at least the service is slow...I work in Greenville. It's a real garden spot.:p

There used to be a really good Asian place there. I forget the name , and it may still be there. Excellent food.

TGS
05-31-2017, 05:53 PM
Have any of you LE guys ever encountered any squared away bounty hunters? Or do the stories that make the news do well to represent the whole lot of them?

Not personally, as we generally don't work with them because of all the issues involved.

One of the guys in my squad was allowed to work with one for a specific reason, because he was squared away. He was a retired local detective that worked limited cases but closely with his former department (who I think was also an interested party).

That is virtually the only professional one that I've heard of in my personal experiences. Of course, there could very well be a lot of good ones and we only hear about the bad ones because the system allows for extraordinarily bad ones to commit some amazing fuckups.

Robert Mitchum
05-31-2017, 06:41 PM
I guess everything has gone to shit .. I did a good job and so did the guys I worked with in the 80's.
We where Corrections Officers and did Bounty Hunting part time ... acted professional and got the job done.
when I read stuff like this it makes me grateful that I am retired from Corrections & Bounty Hunting.

https://youtu.be/xtGL_ZvT6cA

HCM
05-31-2017, 08:19 PM
Interesting.. hmmm, in similar scenario of the article (where everyone actually lived), since the arrest was initiated with the commission of a crime by the arresting parties, could that have created legal wrangling grounds for later negating the arrest? Seems unlikely that once in custody the guy would simply be released to flee again, but with the way things go sometimes...

In your scenario they suspect would not be released.

The suspect already has a warrant so a judge has already determined the suspect must be arrested. Plus the bail agents are acting as agents of the bondsman, under the 1876 Supreme Court decision rather than acting as agents of the Government. A very different situation from a probable cause arrest by an LEO.

HCM
05-31-2017, 08:28 PM

Fact is the criminal justice system would come to a halt without bail bondsmen and bail bondsmen would be out of business without bounty hunters.

IME the squared away bail agents handle their own business and don't have much contact with LE.

The issue is not just the bail agents but the bondsmen and who they choose to employ. For example, the guy we arrested for impersonation was working in a state with training and licensing requirements for bail Agents. Our suspect was neither trained, nor licensed but that did not stop certain bondsmen from employing him.

I've had both positive and negative experiences with bondsmen when I worked fugitives.

Hambo
06-01-2017, 06:25 AM
Have any of you LE guys ever encountered any squared away bounty hunters?

No, but my only contact with them was after spectacular failures. I presume all goes well a good part of the time or they wouldn't do it.

Cypher
06-01-2017, 12:02 PM

I get mistaken for a cop so often that I make it a practice to clearly identify myself as security immediately if I have to interact with someone at work.

Trooper224
06-01-2017, 12:23 PM
Sounds like a win-win to me.

John Hearne
06-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Video of the shooting itself:

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/raw-cell-phone-video-captures-shooting-inside-nissan-dealership/444561396

walker2713
06-01-2017, 01:16 PM
IF they'd been "federal officers" on gubmint bizness, I'm sure they would have produced their credentials without being asked. The fact that these individuals didn't, could be considered a "clue."

The manager they dealt with bears at least some responsibility for the debacle. I'm not thinking of the demise of the three mopes...as Trooper said, a "win-win"...but of the dealership's customers and employees whose lives were in danger.