PDA

View Full Version : Anyone loading 300 BO with coated bullets?

cjb1911
05-31-2017, 09:03 AM
My suppressor finally came in and I think I'm ready to dive into the word of 300BO...

That being said I don't want to pay .45 a bullet for Sierras.

I'm looking for a supplier for 30 cal coated buls and some starting data for 300 BO subs. TIA!

JM Campbell
05-31-2017, 09:08 AM
http://leatherheadbullets.com/everything-300-blackout/

The 220gr have been working for quite a few people. Look at LL loading log for details.

ETA: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22774-Leatherhead-220gr-300Blk-cast-amp-coated-vs-cedar-tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjb1911
05-31-2017, 09:35 AM
http://leatherheadbullets.com/everything-300-blackout/

The 220gr have been working for quite a few people. Look at LL loading log for details.

ETA: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22774-Leatherhead-220gr-300Blk-cast-amp-coated-vs-cedar-tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for pointing that out.

Are people belling the case mouth for these coated bullets?

LittleLebowski
05-31-2017, 10:29 AM
Thanks for pointing that out.

Are people belling the case mouth for these coated bullets?

Yup, you have to. I use a .Dillon 30 Carbine powder die.

cjb1911
05-31-2017, 11:10 AM
Yup, you have to. I use a .Dillon 30 Carbine powder die.

Thanks, Dude. :cool:

LittleLebowski
05-31-2017, 11:32 AM
Leatherhead Bullets is a friend of this forum. If you choose their bullets, they'll work with you over the phone and email to help you get them loaded.

http://leatherheadbullets.com/reloading-tips/

cjb1911
05-31-2017, 01:56 PM
Leatherhead Bullets is a friend of this forum. If you choose their bullets, they'll work with you over the phone and email to help you get them loaded.

Thanks Dude. I noticed you used TG in your testing. Have you tried any other powders? Did you get any leading with the hot burning TG and the coated pills?

LittleLebowski
05-31-2017, 02:02 PM
Thanks Dude. I noticed you used TG in your testing. Have you tried any other powders? Did you get any leading with the hot burning TG and the coated pills?

Sorry, that was a typo. I used 1680 and Lil'Gun. TG is only for pistol.

LittleLebowski
05-31-2017, 02:03 PM

dsa

cjb1911
05-31-2017, 02:44 PM
Sorry, that was a typo. I used 1680 and Lil'Gun. TG is only for pistol.

Bummer, I'm sitting on 20# of TG that'll probably never use.

Rich@CCC
05-31-2017, 03:34 PM
I picked up 100 of these http://www.steelvalleycasting.com/300-blackout.html from a local vendor a couple months ago. I haven't loaded any up yet.

I'm also still working on getting a reliable, sub sonic expanding HP cast bullet going. Lots of testing to be done and so little time!

nate89
05-31-2017, 03:42 PM
Yes, I have been working with coated bullets for some time in 300 BLK.

One difference of note: make sure you are flaring the case a bit like pistol loading so you don't shave the coating off.

H&S bullets is a company local (to me in Utah) that does coated lead bullets that myself and many of the local USPSA shooters have been using for a few years. About a year or two ago he got the missouri bullet company 245 grain mold to look at getting into the blackout bullet market, but there was sadly not enough interest to continue to offer it. He has gotten a new (I would say better) 220 grain mold and will be selling them again. I will be picking 100 or so up the next time I go by to T&E, but assuming they work well, it should be another quality and fairly low cost option.

As far as powder goes, beyond the standard 1680 answer, I have had very good luck with both 5744 and the new CFEBLK. The CFE powder is cheaper many places than some of the other magnum pistol powder options, so I bought an 8 lb keg and am (very) slowly using that. At only 10.5-11 grains per load, I have quite a few rounds to go before using that up!

Mike C
05-31-2017, 04:10 PM
My suppressor finally came in and I think I'm ready to dive into the word of 300BO...

That being said I don't want to pay .45 a bullet for Sierras.

I'm looking for a supplier for 30 cal coated buls and some starting data for 300 BO subs. TIA!

I have a metric ass ton of Palmetto Projectile coated bullets for 300 BLK. PM me your info if you want and I'll mail you a few hundred to try out. (No affiliation with them but they are local to me). I would give the leatherheadbullets a shot though as well. LL seems to have luck with them. With respect to LL's post, +1 on the 30 carbine powder die for proper case mouth expansion with coated projectiles. If you end up the cases sticking to the powder die (which almost feels like the press is stuck or caught on something) use some imperial sizing wax around the outside of the powder die, or just don't clean your brass as long. Either one works really. Additionally make sure that you check your new loads for proper stabilization without the suppressor/silencer on the gun. I am thankful that someone told me this because as I was working up my loads and at one point I ended up with signs of keyholing. It would seriously suck to jack up a new suppressor especially with the wait times these days.

LittleLebowski
05-31-2017, 07:41 PM
Bummer, I'm sitting on 20# of TG that'll probably never use.

I love TG for pistol! Where are you located, I am sure we can find a home for yours.

Odin Bravo One
05-31-2017, 09:43 PM
What is the draw to use garbage bullets in a .300 BLK? Genuinely curious about the motivation behind it.

LittleLebowski
05-31-2017, 10:05 PM
What is the draw to use garbage bullets in a .300 BLK? Genuinely curious about the motivation behind it.

Saving money using cast and coated lead bullets. Basically (in my case) being a #PoorFag (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=PoorFag) .

Mike C
05-31-2017, 11:27 PM

In all fairness I bought them when there was nothing else to be had, at least in my AO. Truth be told they shoot okay inside 100, I have so much of it I have to do something with it. If I could source larger quantities of jacketed stuff at reasonable rates I would. Really contemplating on setting the account on fire with some Speer 125gr TNT's they are on sale right now .20 a piece. I guess I can be lumped in with LL on this one, #PoorFag (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=PoorFag) .

GuanoLoco
06-01-2017, 06:00 AM

Define 'garbage' bullets. At pistol velocities, coated bullets represent awesome performance for the price. I may shoot many 10's of thousands of them - a year.

300BO subsonic is an excellent example. 300 BO supersonic get tricky as the velocities are can be at or a little beyond the capabilities of the coating.

I have run coated bullets successfuly in 30 Carbine at similar velocities (1600+ fps) for short runs, so optimistic but aware that here there may be dragons - compromizing coating, leading, clogging gas hole, etc. On the other hand there is significant economic advantage if you are shooting any kind of volumes.

For now I'm not shooting the volumes that would motivate more testing but I hope to get back to it.

Rich@CCC
06-01-2017, 06:25 AM
What is the draw to use garbage bullets in a .300 BLK? Genuinely curious about the motivation behind it.I'm looking for a reliably expanding sub sonic hollow point load. I found a factory cartridge that looks promising but $2.00 a shot, I need something a little easier on the checking account.

Mike C
06-01-2017, 06:51 AM
I'm looking for a reliably expanding sub sonic hollow point load. I found a factory cartridge that looks promising but $2.00 a shot, I need something a little easier on the checking account.

How far out? LL posted something a while back about a company that made some pretty heavy jacketed HP projectiles. I think they were expensive but no where near $2 loaded. I found the link he posted. These looked promising: http://outlawstatebullets.com/2.html

cjb1911
06-01-2017, 07:54 AM
I have a metric ass ton of Palmetto Projectile coated bullets for 300 BLK. PM me your info if you want and I'll mail you a few hundred to try out. (No affiliation with them but they are local to me). I would give the leatherheadbullets a shot though as well. LL seems to have luck with them. With respect to LL's post, +1 on the 30 carbine powder die for proper case mouth expansion with coated projectiles. If you end up the cases sticking to the powder die (which almost feels like the press is stuck or caught on something) use some imperial sizing wax around the outside of the powder die, or just don't clean your brass as long. Either one works really. Additionally make sure that you check your new loads for proper stabilization without the suppressor/silencer on the gun. I am thankful that someone told me this because as I was working up my loads and at one point I ended up with signs of keyholing. It would seriously suck to jack up a new suppressor especially with the wait times these days.

I certainly appreciate the offer! I will hit you up when I'm nearing my readiness. Still sourcing a 300 upper, as well as dies, various 650 parts etc.

I love TG for pistol! Where are you located, I am sure we can find a home for yours.

I'm in SW LA.

dsa
06-01-2017, 08:21 AM

In the interest of full disclosure I co-own and operate Leatherhead Bullets, LLC., one of the companies that manufacture the bullets you refer to. On the retail side of our business the .300 Blackout 220gr bullets is our best selling product. In my experience there are two types of people who purchase coated bullets for the .300 Blackout. The first is the guy who is trying to save some money and shoot a little more. The second is the hobbyist/tinker type who the reloading process is a hobby in itself. A lot of these types enjoy cutting down their own brass and the reloading process is as satisfying as the shooting. As mentioned by GuanoLoco, at subsonic velocities and with some diligence one can avoid the dragons associated with loading coated bullets.

I hope this post doesn't come off offensive in any way as that isn't my intent. I am also not trying to sell anything; it is my personal opinion that we should buy local whenever possible.

Sean M, thanks for your service and congratulations on your retirement.

Odin Bravo One
06-01-2017, 08:43 AM
Ok. Thanks for the replies.

I understand trying to get more bangs for your bucks. I use plated bullets myself, for high volume shooting at low velocities.

cjb1911
06-01-2017, 09:54 AM
In the interest of full disclosure I co-own and operate Leatherhead Bullets, LLC., one of the companies that manufacture the bullets you refer to. On the retail side of our business the .300 Blackout 220gr bullets is our best selling product. In my experience there are two types of people who purchase coated bullets for the .300 Blackout. The first is the guy who is trying to save some money and shoot a little more. The second is the hobbyist/tinker type who the reloading process is a hobby in itself. A lot of these types enjoy cutting down their own brass and the reloading process is as satisfying as the shooting. As mentioned by GuanoLoco, at subsonic velocities and with some diligence one can avoid the dragons associated with loading coated bullets.

I hope this post doesn't come off offensive in any way as that isn't my intent. I am also not trying to sell anything; it is my personal opinion that we should buy local whenever possible.

Sean M, thanks for your service and congratulations on your retirement.

Thanks for replying in my thread. Do you have any advice on what powder people are using for your 220s?

BTW, you are pretty spot on. I've been an avid reloader for about 22 years or so(started with a 650 when I was 15). It's something I enjoy doing just as much as shooting, the cost savings is just an added benefit.

Mike C
06-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Thanks for replying in my thread. Do you have any advice on what powder people are using for your 220s?

Funny you posted this. I was going to ask if there was any interest on his part in starting a thread on: avoidance of possible issues, (especially with suppressor use), take aways he found pertinent from his experience in loading them, and ways to maximize performance. Not too long ago I completely settled on .308 and 300 blk. I am heavily invested at this point and would like to settle on 1 sub round that doesn't cost the earth and offers sufficient accuracy for my purposes so I can shoot it more frequently. I also would love it if I could cut the smoke down a bit from them.

Rich@CCC
06-01-2017, 08:48 PM
How far out? LL posted something a while back about a company that made some pretty heavy jacketed HP projectiles. I think they were expensive but no where near $2 loaded. I found the link he posted. These looked promising: http://outlawstatebullets.com/2.html

That was loaded ammo with solid copper expanding HP bullets at about$1.95/round when bought by the 20ct. box.

I have some Hard Cast HP pills from a N.O.E. mold that I am playing with. If I can work up a load that stabilizes at 980-1050 fps AND reliably expands, I'll buy the mold. I just haven't had time to do much experimenting yet.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=30_353&products_id=999

dsa
06-01-2017, 10:25 PM

BTW, you are pretty spot on. I've been an avid reloader for about 22 years or so(started with a 650 when I was 15). It's something I enjoy doing just as much as shooting, the cost savings is just an added benefit.

1680 is the Holy Grail for subsonic .300 Blackout. 10.2gr is where I would expect to land depending on the OAL (start at 2.065" with a profile like the 220 offered at Leatherhead Bullets). I personally don't get hung up on commercial case gages for coated bullets, I use the chamber of the barrel the rounds are intended for. Commercial case gages (except for the hundo) are SAMMI spec and coated bullets are not SAMMI spec ( they are usually .001"-.002" larger).

GuanoLoco
06-02-2017, 05:58 AM
1680 is the Holy Grail for subsonic .300 Blackout. 10.2gr is where I would expect to land depending on the OAL (start at 2.065" with a profile like the 220 offered at Leatherhead Bullets). I personally don't get hung up on commercial case gages for coated bullets, I use the chamber of the barrel the rounds are intended for. Commercial case gages (except for the hundo) are SAMMI spec and coated bullets are not SAMMI spec ( they are usually .001"-.002" larger).

+1 on that, one of my chambers is cut with a throat significantly shorter than the other.

Elkhitman
07-30-2017, 06:57 PM
Any one running these in a bolt gun (like Max from Tomorrow War)? I just traded an optic for an AAC Remington Model 7 compact collaboration bolt gun that takes AICS mags. I am just getting into reloading and looking to find some loads to run through it.

Odin Bravo One
07-31-2017, 10:18 AM
I built a .300 BLK bolt gun. Traded it for a Jason Burton 9mm series 70 commander. Also have an AAC handi-rifle which I kept. I found the AAC to be better suited for my uses, but the R700 was a fun project, and worked well. 18607

I really only use three loads for any .300 BLK..... my go to garbage/range ammo is 208 grain Hornady Amax bullets in front of 10.2 grains of 1680, I also use SMK 220s with the same powder charge. And I buy Barnes 115 grain super sonic loads for situations where hate and discontent are required.

I have a handful of 187 grain subs from GemTech that run my 12.5" AR so-so..... (they have had some cycling issues), but the bullets perform well at subsonic velocities, and it really is a powder puff load in terms of recoil. Would be interesting to see how they do from a bolt gun......... very quiet, and fun to shoot. Eliminating the bolt cycling noise would make for a very quiet package.

Black Butterfly Ammunition is now making .300 BLK, and has some really interesting stuff in their product line, and in development. He is also pretty open about sharing some of his info and testing data. You can find some testing stuff on YouTube. They load my high performance.458S ammo. Worth looking at for ideas on where you might want to go with your own load development.