PDA

View Full Version : CZ PO7 DAO

Sherman A. House DDS
05-31-2017, 08:25 AM
I've had a CZ for awhile now, and I really dig the DAO on it. It is in Factory condition now.

I KNOW that CZ produced some DAO CZ PO9 variant for military pistol trials.

My question for the hive here is...IS THERE an (perhaps Cajun Gunworks or CZ Custom) option to convert my PO7 to DAO, a la a CZ, "DAK," if you will?

Please advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s0nspark
05-31-2017, 09:18 AM
I've had a CZ for awhile now, and I really dig the DAO on it. It is in Factory condition now.

I KNOW that CZ produced some DAO CZ PO9 variant for military pistol trials.

My question for the hive here is...IS THERE an (perhaps Cajun Gunworks or CZ Custom) option to convert my PO7 to DAO, a la a CZ, "DAK," if you will?

Interesting question... I'll reach out to David @ CGW and see if he has any info.

s0nspark
05-31-2017, 09:28 AM
Oh, and for anyone interested...

Obscure Object of Desire: CZ P-09 MHS Trials Pistol (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/02/jeremy-s/obscure-object-of-desire-cz-p-09-mhs-trials-pistol/)

Yeah... I want one. ;-)

45dotACP
05-31-2017, 09:33 AM
Do the CZ PO7 and PO9 have the same issues with breaking the TRS frequently?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sherman A. House DDS
05-31-2017, 09:36 AM
Interesting question... I'll reach out to David @ CGW and see if he has any info.

Thank you.

With the popularity of the HK LEM, SIG DAK, 3rd Gen Smith DAO, and the wonderful handling DA pull of the CZ PO7, I think it would be a great alternative.

If this works, I could finally have my, "17 shot 9mm-revolver-feeling pistol." Sure, splits are slower, but everything else? Money.

s0nspark
05-31-2017, 09:46 AM
Do the CZ PO7 and PO9 have the same issues with breaking the TRS frequently?

As I understand it, that was the result of a flaw in a specific run of TRS parts from the factory and it is no longer the issue it once was.

That said, I replace the TRS along with the firing pin retaining pin as a matter of course on any new CZ I buy with CGW parts**, as they have never failed me. It might be part superstition but it is, at least, an inexpensive indulgence. I also keep a spare slide stop on hand, since the design put a lot of pressure on that part during recoil. They last a long time, mind you - I have changed springs out several times as part of the routine replacement cycle and have yet to suffer a slide stop breakage - but when it does eventually fail I want a ready replacement :)

** okay, you got me - I usually end up doing much more than just that LOL

s0nspark
05-31-2017, 09:52 AM
Thank you.

My pleasure! I'll follow up as soon as I hear back from him.

With the popularity of the HK LEM, SIG DAK, 3rd Gen Smith DAO, and the wonderful handling DA pull of the CZ PO7, I think it would be a great alternative.

If this works, I could finally have my, "17 shot 9mm-revolver-feeling pistol." Sure, splits are slower, but everything else? Money.

I agree - it would be a great option to have.

A couple of months ago I changed out the hammer springs in my Cajunized P-07s, dropping from an 18# to a 15#, and was surprised at the results. I haven't had any issues setting off primers with the ammo I normally shoot (Lawman, mostly, but also some Freedom reman and the odd box of Winchester NATO) and I really like the results. I spend a lot of time shooting DA as part of my normal practice routine and... I am actually beginning to prefer it :)

05-31-2017, 10:35 AM
I sent a request regarding a CZ DAO conversion a few weeks back to CGW and was told the hammer they'd need was not available.

ETA: Also emailed CZ Custom but never received a reply.

Paltares8
05-31-2017, 10:36 AM
I know that someone from czforum had one converted to DAO, I think from CGW. How much went into that cost and time wise I have no idea. If I can remember my old password I'll try and find the thread where he talked about it

HCM
05-31-2017, 11:21 AM
Just to clarify terms, the SIG DAK is pre tensioned and is not a standard DAO internally, this is why the trigger has a double reset. Despite the external appearance, the HK LEM is also not a DAO, it has an internal hammer which is "pre -cocked". The significantly heavier "second strike" trigger pull on both the DAK and the LEM are the actual DAO trigger pulls.

I think the Beretta D series guns are more like what you are seeking from CZ.

As for your project, it should be possible to simply remove the SA cocking notches as with a DA revolver.

LittleLebowski
05-31-2017, 11:35 AM
Interested piqued regarding DAO.

Sherman A. House DDS
05-31-2017, 11:49 AM
Just to clarify terms, the SIG DAK is pre tensioned and is not a standard DAO internally, this is why the trigger has a double reset. Despite the external appearance, the HK LEM is also not a DAO, it has an internal hammer which is "pre -cocked". The significantly heavier "second strike" trigger pull on both the DAK and the LEM are the actual DAO trigger pulls.

I think the Beretta D series guns are more like what you are seeking from CZ.

As for your project, it should be possible to simply remove the SA cocking notches as with a DA revolver.

Absolutely. I categorized those guns under the same, "heading," since they, despite being pretensioned, are usually the choice for folks that don't want a striker fired gun, or prefer something more revolver-like.

I have a Beretta 92D, but it's not as concealable on my frame as a CZ PO7. Hence my inquiry.

spinmove_
05-31-2017, 11:55 AM
Absolutely. I categorized those guns under the same, "heading," since they, despite being pretensioned, are usually the choice for folks that don't want a striker fired gun, or prefer something more revolver-like.

I have a Beretta 92D, but it's not as concealable on my frame as a CZ PO7. Hence my inquiry.

Why not a PX4 Type D?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

HCM
05-31-2017, 12:05 PM
Why not a PX4 Type D?

You could buy a standard model and convert it yourself

05-31-2017, 12:09 PM
Why not a PX4 Type D?

Southern Ohio Gun has some "like new" ones in Stock. I keep looking for the Type C version, but those seem rare. I wish Beretta had made compact versions of the PX4 in the C or D types, but they only came in full-size.

Sherman A. House DDS
05-31-2017, 12:14 PM

I already own the PO7, mags, holsters, etc. and would rather not add more pistol infrastructure.

HCM
05-31-2017, 12:24 PM
I already own the PO7, mags, holsters, etc. and would rather not add more pistol infrastructure.

Mechanically, it should be a simple matter to remove the SA cocking notches in the same manner a DA revolver is converted to DAO.

Cecil Burch
05-31-2017, 12:27 PM
This is a really interesting idea.

spinmove_
05-31-2017, 12:49 PM

Why when the slide for an actual Type D doesn't have the spot for the safety/decocker?

HCM
05-31-2017, 01:20 PM
Why when the slide for an actual Type D doesn't have the spot for the safety/decocker?

If you could buy a compact D model from the factory I would agree but the only PX4 D models I've ever seen commercially available have been full sized.

Mirolynmonbro
05-31-2017, 01:21 PM
People on the CZ Facebook group have had CZ Custom convert theirs.

Video here. The description says what was done https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lWSI8ejKosw&feature=youtu.be

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

s0nspark
05-31-2017, 05:08 PM
Well, Micah @ CGW said no go on their end. I would be curious as to the details of what CZ Custom actually did and what cost was associated... I'll reach out to Stuart there and see if he can provide more info.

Chuck Whitlock
05-31-2017, 05:38 PM

Why not a PX4 Type D?

My suggestion would be for the Sig P250c, but that is another platform. Plus, it's recently been discontinued, but they are still out there, and under 4 bills.

Paltares8
05-31-2017, 05:41 PM
Don't know if this link will work, but I found the one I was thinking of.
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=84224.msg623341#msg623341
And it was CZCustom that did it. Could be a decent starting point for whomever wants to give it a shot.

Eta: I'm almost positive there's a post where that guy goes over everything he had done to his, I didn't realize that was just about the hammer.

LittleLebowski
05-31-2017, 08:04 PM
I can't help but think a year of shooting DAO would work wonders for my shooting.

s0nspark
05-31-2017, 08:28 PM
I can't help but think a year of shooting DAO would work wonders for my shooting.

My best friend has a Sig P250 subcompact - that thing would be the ultimate workout gun. It is just too tiny... like Zoolander's cell phone LOL

LittleLebowski
05-31-2017, 09:32 PM
My best friend has a Sig P250 subcompact - that thing would be the ultimate workout gun. It is just too tiny... like Zoolander's cell phone LOL

Oh man, I shot one of those, not a subcompact but a then issued FAMS gun. HATED it.

Lon
05-31-2017, 11:09 PM
Guy by the name Cyanide over on the CZ forum had it done by CZ Custom. Might wanna reach out to him about it.

Wheeler
06-01-2017, 07:09 AM
In for info.

s0nspark
06-01-2017, 07:55 AM
Guy by the name Cyanide over on the CZ forum had it done by CZ Custom. Might wanna reach out to him about it.

I'm on over there - I'll PM him and see what he has to say :)

Sherman A. House DDS
06-01-2017, 08:24 AM
Excellent! Glad this is something more people are interested in.

Everyone who's tagged in on this thread should email Cajun Gunworks and inquire. I sent an email yesterday morning, before I started this thread, and heard (just like sOnspark) from Micah that is was a no-go.

Perhaps if they hear from enough of us, they'd consider modding the hammer for us old DAO/revolver heads?

s0nspark
06-01-2017, 11:50 AM
From Carlo aka Cyanide @ czfirearms.us:

Below is the direct link to the post I started after it was done last year.

CZ Custom's Magic Show (http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=77593.0;nowap)

Since getting it back from them early last year, I've easily shot at least another 1K rounds through it without any issues whatsoever. I know a lot of people are skeptical of it only having a 13# mainspring,but I'm pretty certain the extended firing pin they installedis the main reason I have had 100% ignition on all rounds chambered. That post also has a couple of direct links to short videos I made showing how smooth and fast the trigger pull is. Words don't do it justice! 6 1/2 pounds, no stacking,no over travel. By far the smoothest DAO pull I have ever experienced in my life. I absolutely love it and, even though I don't ever really say much about it anymore, it sees it's fair share of carry time in the rotation with my CZ 100 and Glock 23.

Before I forget, IIRC the total cost for the work they did to include all of the parts was right around $170.

:-)

ETA:

The more I think about this, the more I like it!

Is anyone aware of a flat trigger for the P-07/P-09?

DallasBronco
06-01-2017, 10:28 PM
This is an interesting concept, and thanks for sharing the link. It's amazing how much they shaved down that hammer and are still getting reliable ignition with a lightened hammer spring. I wonder if the same is possible on a PCR? I really like the PX4 DAO's with the Type C being my favorite. I am contemplating converting one of my Compacts to a Type C.

Greg
06-01-2017, 10:49 PM
So what would you do with the ambi decockers/safety levers on a DAO P-07?

DallasBronco
06-02-2017, 08:46 AM
I think you would have to just leave them in place and just not use them. They are integral to the fire control group, so you would probably create more problems than you fixed by trying to remove them. A similar issue is the way the decocker/safety is integral to the firing pin on a PX4.

orionz06
06-02-2017, 08:53 AM
Friend sent me a video, he has one. Lemme see if I can easily upload it.

s0nspark
06-02-2017, 08:59 AM
I think you would have to just leave them in place and just not use them. They are integral to the fire control group, so you would probably create more problems than you fixed by trying to remove them. A similar issue is the way the decocker/safety is integral to the firing pin on a PX4.

Carlo said his levers were left in place but are just inoperable now. They could probably be fixed/pinned in place, I would think.

TicTacticalTimmy
06-02-2017, 12:30 PM

Can anyone 100% confirm this will work?

Installed a CGW hammer in my P-07 yesterday and there's no way I'm going back to the stock hammer!

So now I have this stock hammer just sitting around just begging to be ruined with a dremel, and I might be dumb enough to give it a shot :rolleyes:

Greg
06-02-2017, 03:41 PM
I like the P-07 as is (with mo betterer springs) but I'd want to lose the ambi decockers if I was going DAO.