PDA

View Full Version : Draco the Police Dog Wins

Coyotesfan97
05-30-2017, 10:52 PM
Some moron attorney apparently thought she'd be cute and add the police dog to the lawsuit with the Handler and two other Officers. The 11th Circuit Court threw it out. I'm not sure how it even got that far

http://www.myajc.com/news/local/bitten-burglar-sues-and-loses-draco-the-police-dog-prevails/Bl8gmus5AouQTgpPj9aFKO/

Dog bites man. Man sues dog. Dog wins.

The dog was Draco, a prized member of the Gwinnett County Police Department’s K-9 unit. But on July 6, 2013, Draco bit the arm of burglary suspect Randall Kevin Jones, who later claimed the dog clamped down for what “seemed like a lifetime.”

The best quote from Judges Rosenbaum:

In her opinion, Judge Rosenbaum wrote that the dog’s name has long been associated with notorious characters. This includes Draco, the legislator of ancient Greece whose harsh legal code inspired the word “draconian.” Then there’s Draco Malfoy, Harry Potter’s malevolent rival in the popular literary series, the judge noted. Because of what happened to Jones during his arrest, Rosenbaum wrote, “And to the list of infamous Dracos, add defendant-appellant Draco

I was rolling reading that. :D

AMC
05-31-2017, 02:19 AM
Several times in years past, complaints came down from the Office of Citizen Complaints (our citizen watchdog/witch-hunt agency) with officer names like "Mayk" or "Ecko" or "Magi".....with a Star Number (badge number). OCC investigators were reading police reports involved in complaints, and adding in K9 Mayk #7. Sending out questionnaires, scheduling interviews, etc. Don't know if any of the K9 guys ever showed up to an OCC interview with the dog...with them acting as the dog's union rep.....but I would've.

Robinson
05-31-2017, 07:51 AM
And now we have Ajax, another Belgian Malinois. The program was to be discontinued but donations have allowed it to keep going.

Peally
05-31-2017, 07:58 AM
Gotta start naming the dogs something like "Sprinkles" or "Muffins" to up the WTF factor even higher when they enjoy a bad guy's arm.

blues
05-31-2017, 08:50 AM
Reminds me of a time I was being badgered on the stand in federal court by a defense attorney on a narcotics smuggling case.

The defense attorney essentially accused me of beating, shooting and otherwise depriving his poor innocent client of his rights in any number of fictitious ways all of which were easily refuted.

Finally, he gets around to his grand finale:

Lawyer: "And agent, was there a drug dog on the scene?"

Me: "Yes there was."

Lawyer: "And what did that dog tell you Agent Blues?"

Me: "I didn't talk to the dog. He didn't tell me anything."

(Jury, audience, Judge Nesbitt are all cracking up for several seconds as I sit in the witness box with a deadpan expression. When the laughter stops I turn to the judge...)

Me: "I apologize Judge Nesbitt, I didn't mean to be flippant."

Judge Nesbitt: "No, no. He had it coming."

Lawyer: "I have no further questions for this witness, your honor."

It was one of those perfect moments when you get to hand a theatrical defense attorney his ass. Needless to say the jury didn't need a lot of time to deliberate before reaching a verdict of guilty.

Coyotesfan97
05-31-2017, 01:15 PM
One of my favorite K9 stories involves "Police Constable" Peach the Alsatian police dog. After receiving several requests from the prosecutors for PC Peach's report his Handler filled one out. It never went to the prosecutors but it got on the Internet. I love it!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2279789/I-chase-I-bite--crime-report-dog--Police-investigate-completing-witness-statement-written-force-dog.html

Zincwarrior
05-31-2017, 01:26 PM
Oh that was great. I love the tiny pawprint "signature."

blues
05-31-2017, 06:11 PM
Reminds me of a time I was being badgered on the stand in federal court by a defense attorney on a narcotics smuggling case.

Obviously, I misspoke above. I meant to say I was being hounded. Forgive the lapse. :cool: