PDA

View Full Version : Xdm light strikes

cdunn
12-31-2011, 08:01 AM
I went with my father in law to the range yesterday he has a xdm 9mm with about 500rds through it.anyway after getting about 8 light strikes per mag for 2 mags, he put it away.he took it apart when we got home and I didn't notice anything blocking any of the striker parts, so we cleaned everything off and put it back together,we put a pencil in the barrel and it shot out about 2 feet,any ideas?it shouldn't be the spring already should it?

LittleLebowski
12-31-2011, 08:24 AM
Could be time to replace the spring or simply ammo dependent but in my book, a service weapon should be able to fire all commercial ammo. I'd replace the springs.

JV_
12-31-2011, 08:28 AM
What kind of ammo?

cdunn
12-31-2011, 10:34 AM
It was two types of ammo American eagle and some other kind,I didnt pay attention to the name.I told him to order another spring, but it's not that old.he use a spray lube and I'm not use to the xd, should he or should he not lube any of the firing parts?I told him he probably shouldnt spray lube on everything.

LittleLebowski
12-31-2011, 11:55 AM
It was two types of ammo American eagle and some other kind,I didnt pay attention to the name.I told him to order another spring, but it's not that old.he use a spray lube and I'm not use to the xd, should he or should he not lube any of the firing parts?I told him he probably shouldnt spray lube on everything.

He should not lube the striker nor anything in the firing pin area. Just rails and worn parts of the barrel. Look for the parts of the barrel that have wear on them. I don't think this is the cause but it couldn't hurt to clean it up and lube it properly.

JV_
12-31-2011, 01:12 PM
I've heard of XDm pistols having issues with MagTech ammo, apparently it's a hard primer. But with American Eagle, it would be odd because that's a Federal primer, they're fairly soft.

cdunn
12-31-2011, 03:52 PM
He found an extra power striker spring he is going to order.

stainless1911
01-08-2012, 07:53 PM
It isnt the spring. I ran into this with my XD, turns out, they don't like oils and greases in the striker area. Remove the striker and springs, get everything clean and dry, you dont want any oil in there. Assemble with graphite powder dry lubricant, and your problem will be gone.

ToddG
01-09-2012, 12:39 AM
I ran into this with my XD, turns out, they don't like oils and greases in the striker area.

You should not put oil, grease, or solvent in the firing pin/striker channel of any pistol intended for critical (life saving) use.

stainless1911
01-09-2012, 01:09 AM
You should not put oil, grease, or solvent in the firing pin/striker channel of any pistol intended for critical (life saving) use.

Yep. First pistol learning curve.

cdunn
01-09-2012, 12:19 PM
that was the first thing I asked him,he went home cleaned it then showed me.

stainless1911
01-09-2012, 12:23 PM
So it still did this dry?

Reloads? I once cut a batch of casings too short, and I think it contributed to the problem.