PDA

View Full Version : C&D Pardus AIWB

JodyH
12-30-2011, 08:45 PM
After the initial molding issue with my Cane & Derby Pardus I finally got around to using the replacement holster for a week or so.
Here's my observations:

The holster is super fast with no drag on the gun at all. Just an initial click to overcome the retention and the guns coming out.
Concealment is decent but not great. The P30 is a good sized gun though, so grip tuck is going to be tough on a skinny guy like me.
Dropping the holster 3/8" by raising the belt loops helped quite a bit with concealment with no appreciable difference in the draw.
I swapped the Bladetech rubber belt loops for some of Dale Fricke's loops made of a much thinner material, that also helped with concealment.
The belt loop position is a pain in the ass for me, the loop's position and spacing doesn't work great with any of my pants. It works ok, just not great.
8 hours of carry including drive time was not an issue. As comfortable as any other holster I own.

Super J
12-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the review. Any pics showing how far out the grip sits from the torso

JRL
12-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Pics please! :)

JodyH
12-31-2011, 10:03 AM
I'll get some pics up Sunday.
Gotta get a tan and my abs in shape first.
;)

JRL
12-31-2011, 10:05 AM
I'll get some pics up Sunday.
Gotta get a tan and my abs in shape first.
;)

You're right, those two things should be doable in a day :p

matman
12-31-2011, 06:07 PM
You're right, those two things should be doable in a day :p

Just airbrush the 300 style abs on and be sure too use your spray tan!

JodyH
12-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Action shot tomorrow.
Until then here's a pic of the holster showing the lower profile Fricke belt loops.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/p30cd.jpg

JodyH
01-01-2012, 11:22 AM
You can see that the P30 grip is going to be a problem no matter what holster I use, I just don't have much "real estate" to work with.
Same thing with crowding my belt loops and belt buckle, being skinny does have its AIWB downsides.
99% of the time I conceal under just a T-shirt and the Pardus/P30 combination is right on the verge of being too big.
I'm still carrying the P30 because I know the vast majority of people are oblivious, but when I really need to be 100% I switch to a different gun and holster.
Example: We went to a "family fun center" yesterday for my boys birthday. Bowling, laser tag, etc. I was going to be doing a lot of activities around a lot of kids who would be at waist height and wanted absolute concealment. Especially since this place was also prepping for their big New Years bash and a "man with a gun" scare would be a bad thing. I went with my P2000Sk in a low ride leather AIWB.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/cdp30aiwb.jpg

LOKNLOD
01-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Looks to me like the second loop being on a wing closer to your centerline, "above" the slide if you will, creates a moment that wants to rotate the butt of the gun away from the body instead of tucking it in closer. Especially on a smaller-diameter dude.

JodyH
01-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Top down.
The butt tucks fine, the P30 just has too much junk in the trunk for my waist diameter (32").
Luckily I have wide shoulders so my T-shirts drape well.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/cdp30aiwbtop.jpg

SteveK
01-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Aussie Heeler?

JodyH
01-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Aussie Heeler?
No, I'm half American Indian and half German/Dutch.

Ohhh... the dog?
He's a Catahoula/Heeler mix.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/IMAG0027.jpg

gtmtnbiker98
01-02-2012, 11:10 AM
What was the lead time from order to delivery? On the holster, not the dog.

JodyH
01-02-2012, 11:28 AM
2 months.
Dog gestation time is also 62-65 days.
Weird huh?

Caboose
01-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Has anyone been waiting more than four months? I ordered at the beginning of September, but keep seeing people who recieved their order in ~2 months, and ordered after I did. Though, I do believe those who have recieved their holsters didn't order for a G17.

Thoughts?

JohnN
01-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Shows how variation in build changes the carrying dynamic. While I found the C&D AIWB well built and nicely finished no matter where I positioned the the holster it would not adequately conceal my P30.

tmoore912
01-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Has anyone been waiting more than four months? I ordered at the beginning of September, but keep seeing people who recieved their order in ~2 months, and ordered after I did. Though, I do believe those who have recieved their holsters didn't order for a G17.

Thoughts?

My Pardus for a G17 took 4 months, and it would have taken more if I had not kept in touch with Ian through email. Ian said that he had been out sick for over a month, and that everyone else was not taking good care of his customers while he was out. I don't know who "everyone else" is though.

I was also upset when seeing others getting their orders, when they ordered months after making my order.

JodyH
01-02-2012, 10:10 PM
I think C&D does holsters in batches.
It's probably easier to make 100 P30 holsters at a time instead of 20 of this and 45 of that and 30 of another.
One mold, one way to trim, one way to rivet one way to finish.
If they manufacture that way, I would imagine your holster delivery time would be dependent on where your order happened to hit in the schedule.

RobG
01-03-2012, 06:01 PM
I have been running this rig with an HK USPC for about 9 months now. I aggree with all of your conclusions and am running raven loops on mine to cut down on the bulk. Your holster appears to have a more aggressive wedge than mine. I am having problems with the bolt head from the loops rubbing on the slide. Is this happening to your gun as well?

JodyH
01-03-2012, 06:14 PM
I am having problems with the bolt head from the loops rubbing on the slide. Is this happening to your gun as well?
No problems with the bolts rubbing on mine.

RobG
01-03-2012, 09:50 PM
I'll have to check with Ian to see if the dimensions have changed on the wedge/belt loop attachment point. Anyone else have this problem (slide grinding on the bolts for the loops) with their pardus AIWB holster?

tmoore912
01-04-2012, 09:45 AM
I'll have to check with Ian to see if the dimensions have changed on the wedge/belt loop attachment point. Anyone else have this problem (slide grinding on the bolts for the loops) with their pardus AIWB holster?

If your Raven Loops are thinner than the C&D loops, then the screw bolts may be too long and coming out the other end. You may just need to use a shorter screw.

RobG
01-04-2012, 01:15 PM
If your Raven Loops are thinner than the C&D loops, then the screw bolts may be too long and coming out the other end. You may just need to use a shorter screw.

I ran the spacers so the screws did not extend past the the female threaded keeper. It is the not the screw that is is grinding, it is the nut. I'll post pictures later today.

VolGrad
01-04-2012, 01:50 PM
No problems with the bolts rubbing on mine.

Me either. I carried a G19 in a Pardus more frequently than anything this past summer during shorts and tee shirt weather.

RobG
01-04-2012, 02:04 PM
I like the holster otherwise, I wonder if this was an early problem that was fixed in later additions. Still trying to figure out the picture thing.

JodyH
01-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Just a note on the P30 holster.
My P2000 fits in it perfectly.
That makes me happy because my P2000 doesn't have as much ghetto booty as the P30 and if the P30 get's to be too much of a pain in the ass to conceal I can switch to the P2000.
The P2000 is also my backup gun for training classes and having one holster that works for both is a bonus.

tmoore912
01-24-2012, 11:18 AM
FYI...............C&D are discontinuing the Pardus AIWB Holster for a new model called the PIC.

http://www.caneandderby.com/concealed-carry-kydex-holsters/pardus-kydex-holsters/pardus-kydex-holster-appendix-rig.html

PLEASE NOTE: The Pardus Appendix Holster will be discontinued as of January 6th, 2012. All orders for Pardus Appendix Holsters placed on or after January 6th, 2012 will be automatically converted to the PIC Holster System with APP (Appendix) Attachment. All pending orders for Pardus Appendix Holsters placed prior to January 6th, 2012 will have the option of upgrading to the new PIC Holster System for free. Please contact us if you have questions or require more information.

*Specifications are subject to change without notice

tmoore912
01-24-2012, 11:29 AM
So C&D post on Wordpress about their new appendix rig on Jan 6th, 2012. And gives us all the details about why they are doing the change, but no new info or pictures at all are on their website where you actually make an order.

That's classic!

http://www.caneandderbynews.com/2012/01/cane-derbys-products-2012/

CCT125US
01-24-2012, 12:29 PM
I placed an order for one on the 9th of this month.... Just emailed Ian to get more info and pics.

bdcheung
01-24-2012, 01:37 PM
I posted this over at M4C (http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1207174&postcount=17) but here it is again for those who are interested:

So I contacted Cane and Derby a few days ago asking about lead time. I got their permission to repost the entire email here:

Hi bdcheung,

The lead time depends on the product. Our Pardus Full Cut holsters are holding at about 6 weeks, while the old-style Pardus Appendix Rigs were taking up to 12 weeks to get out to customers. These lead times would occasionally fluctuate, depending on whether we've done a run of a particular holster (like black straight-drop Glock 17s, for example) and happen to have them ready to send to customers. We're pretty backlogged though, so it's been a while since we've been able to 'get ahead.'

We don't like having lead times like that, and we've been working very hard to get our lead times down across the board. New, more streamlined techniques and revisions to the products to ensure quality, consistency, and production speed have all been put into place. Our goal is to bring *all* products down to 4 weeks (or less).

The new PIC system is part of that effort, and we're proud to be able to produce them very quickly. All orders for Pardus Appendix Holsters placed on or after January 6th, 2012 will be for the new PIC System Holster. We have a team dedicated to producing only new orders, keeping lead times at our goal of 4 weeks, while a separate team handles pending orders (prior to Jan 6).

All that being said, I just re-read your question and you were asking about your order specifically, lol. You've got a PIC for your M&P9C in the queue and it ought to be out to you well within our 4-week lead time. I've been battling a cold all week and thought you were asking about lead times in general... sorry about the super-long preamble! I need to cut down on the cold meds, lol...

Hopefully that answers your questions. If you have any additional questions or require more information, please don't hesitate to contact us.

I then responded asking if I could repost the email, to which they replied:

Brian,

Sure, I have no problem with you sharing the information on public forums. We've got nothing to hide, and tell all of our customers the same thing when they ask.

Here's a bit more info you can add, if you'd like.

We're working pretty hard to keep everyone up-to-date, address any and all who contact us, and putting into place whatever it takes to keep customers happy.

Since January 6th, we've implemented this new support-ticket system which has helped to virtually eliminate the "lost email syndrome" that was happening with some customers who tried to contact us. For a while we thought we must've been going through some unprecedented failure in our email system, so we put this into place to eliminate lost communication. All requests via direct email or our contact pages automatically insert the information into a database that routes emails according to the request and schedules follow-ups within our 24-business-hour response period. Email notifications are still sent, of course (that's unavoidable) but all communication is logged, timestamped, and visible to the customer at any time (they just have to log in.)

We have a new call-logging system in place so that *all* calls are forwarded to the right people, logged, and follow-up call scheduling is enforced so we call anybody who calls us within our 24-business-hour support period. This is internal, but it has improved our responsiveness dramatically and reduced the amount of calls that 'slip through the cracks'. Some customers complained that they can't reach us on the phone when they call - and that's true. We simply don't have the time or resources to have someone sitting in the office all day waiting for the phone to ring - we've got too much work to do. That's why we have our call-back policy in place; when there's a break, we catch up on support emails and phone calls. Our call-logging helps us immensely with this, but I cannot for the life of me understand why customers will call us but never leave a voice-mail.

We have a new order-status system in place. The new order-status system is much more detailed and offers a lot more visibility to the customer. This has been somewhat confusing, even in-house, as we try to consolidate our old system and new status systems, along with our production-line system. We've asked people to bear with us as we go through this 'growing pain' and it smooths itself out with time.

We still don't charge people until their order is literally walking out the door to the post office. This was originally in place to prevent the customer feeling that we're sitting with their money and they'll never see a product. It's a policy that will stay in place for the foreseeable future as we continue to work through our backlog and address new orders.

We've built a good reputation for producing a high-quality product and our excellent customer service. It's extremely disconcerting when we stumble and our reputation suffers because of it, but we're trying our hardest to address every issue and every obstacle as it comes. We ask our customers to be patient and we promise to deliver the best quality product that we can as quickly as we can produce it. We won't outsource to save a few bucks, we won't skimp or cut corners to get the product out faster, and we're *all* working to get everyone their product as fast as possible.

So that's the long and the short of it Brian. I've shared this information with many, many customers and gotten nothing but patience and support, and we sincerely appreciate it. You're welcome to share the information with friends, colleagues, what have you - hopefully it will be received with understanding and support. We're doing the best we can, and we have nothing but appreciation for our customers.

I hope the additional information is helpful as well, and if you need more info or have any questions about our products please don't hesitate to contact us. Have a great evening!

justcor
01-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Am I the only person who finds this picture to be an advertisement for improper gun handling? I think this model is violating rule #3
http://www.caneandderby.com/media//home-banner-recycle.jpg

tmoore912
01-24-2012, 04:36 PM
That is a vintage photo of a American tunnel rat about to go down in a tunnel after the enemy.

http://brightcove.vo.llnwd.net/d6/unsecured/media/1119379849/1119379849_1641805436_mc-tunnelrats-broadband.jpg

bdcheung
01-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Yup. And here's the original, which looks like it might be a screen grab from the movie "Tunnel Rats":

http://actionflickchick.com/superaction/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/tunnelratsvienam1vivv1.jpg

TGS
01-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Yup. And here's the original, which looks like it might be a screen grab from the movie "Tunnel Rats":

That movie was a ridiculous gore fest. I'd rather suffer the mental/emotional torment of watching Old Boy (http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1366&bih=637&tbm=isch&tbnid=bKe9aG2xWe3kkM:&imgrefurl=http://www.horrorgoreandmore.com/reviews/sympathy-trilogy-mr-oldboy-lady-2002-2003-2005/&docid=LMNupE0zf0pxHM&imgurl=http://www.horrorgoreandmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/oldboy.png&w=500&h=333&ei=mzEfT6mkLaqI0QGvvPwH&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=414&vpy=327&dur=1485&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=155&ty=108&sig=118127366207026086241&page=1&tbnh=115&tbnw=153&start=0&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0) over and over than Tunnel Rats (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i2.listal.com/image/1072132/936full-tunnel-rats-screenshot.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.listal.com/viewimage/1072132h&h=336&w=608&sz=19&tbnid=ORnCdeEIm46A6M:&tbnh=68&tbnw=123&zoom=1&docid=4PxtM8BGRJQIHM&sa=X&ei=HTEfT57RJJGB0QHh1LQZ&ved=0CFMQ9QEwAw&dur=1059). *Links NSFW*