PDA

View Full Version : The Infiltrator on Amazon - Blues was there IRL...

mmc45414
05-28-2017, 07:56 AM
If you start a thread in general I'll tell you a couple funny anecdotes. I don't know if it would be considered too far off topic in this thread.

Over in the Movie/TV I mentioned I enjoyed this.
https://www.amazon.com/Infiltrator-Bryan-Cranston/dp/B01LWJFJ8F/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1495975621&sr=1-1&keywords=the+infiltrator
and Blues mentioned that he had been involved in the case and suggested a separate thread. As they say on the maps at the rest stop, You Are Here :)

It was weird seeing Bryan Cranston, as I only really know him as Walter White (was he ever actually in anything else?...) on the other side of the law, very deeply undercover. I think acting as a "craft" is a wee bit over rated, but for my mind to accept the same guy at both extreme ends of the spectrum takes some craftsmanship. Apparently he wanted to avoid being type cast like Ned Beatty after Deliverance.

UNK
05-28-2017, 08:02 AM
Over in the Movie/TV I mentioned I enjoyed this.
https://www.amazon.com/Infiltrator-Bryan-Cranston/dp/B01LWJFJ8F/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1495975621&sr=1-1&keywords=the+infiltrator
and Blues mentioned that he had been involved in the case and suggested a separate thread. As they say on the maps at the rest stop, You Are Here :)

It was weird seeing Bryan Cranston, as I only really know as Walter White (was he ever actually in anything else?...) on the other side of the law, very deeply undercover. I think acting as a "craft" is a wee bit over rated, but for my mind to accept the same guy at both extreme ends of the spectrum takes some craftsmanship. Apparently he wanted to avoid being type cast like Ned Beatty after Deliverance.

I enjoyed that movie. I'm looking forward to this.

Rich@CCC
05-28-2017, 08:28 AM
It was weird seeing Bryan Cranston, as I only really know as Walter White (was he ever actually in anything else?...)

Bryan Cranston was Hal, the father figure on Malcolm In The Middle, a Fox TV sit com for many seasons. He was a a comedic genius and I was truly surprised to see him as such a believable bad guy in BB after watching him as the off center, weird Dad on Malcolm

breakingtime91
05-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Great movie... Blues, report for story telling..

Report....

Chance
05-28-2017, 09:50 AM
Bryan also played a lot of monsters on old school Power Rangers. Dude's got range.

walker2713
05-28-2017, 09:59 AM
Bryan Cranston was Hal, the father figure on Malcolm In The Middle, a Fox TV sit com for many seasons. He was a a comedic genius and I was truly surprised to see him as such a believable bad guy in BB after watching him as the off center, weird Dad on Malcolm

Not to mention five episodes of Seinfeld, Saving Private Ryan, The Lincoln Lawyer and many, many more....

blues
05-28-2017, 10:31 AM
Thanks, mmc, this will be a bit of fun and a walk down memory lane.

First, let me just say that like most here, I've enjoyed Bryan Cranston in past performances, especially "Breaking Bad" and the recent "Sneaky Pete" series. I did think he was a little long in the tooth for "The Infiltrator" but that's just an observation as opposed to a criticism.

I adore Amy Ryan as an actress and have ever since The Wire and Gone Baby Gone. She did a creditable job playing the late Bonni Tischler in The Infiltrator. I think she can play any role and pull it off.

Bonni, who was the SAC of the Tampa Office (U.S. Customs, Office Of Investigations), later came down to Miami where she was our SAC.
She was definitely an acquired taste and not for everyone. She had no problems berating folks on their fashion faux pas, as she considered herself quite the "bella figura" and fashionista. (Tastes and opinions differ.)

She and I sparred a few rounds on a variety of issues. On one occasion when I was the "duty agent" for the day, which meant manning the phones and taking any number of requests for investigative purposes or things that needed doing...she felt that that meant you were her minion for the day and over my objections sent me to have her car washed. I voiced my objections but she overruled and off I went to the drive through wash.

I came back with her antenna lying in the back seat and when she saw it I informed her, truthfully, that since it didn't retract that it was snapped off by the rollers in the car wash. (Last time I was used to get her vehicle cleaned.) C'est la vie.

Another time, on an arms smuggling case she asked my partner and me why we hadn't bloodied up the target of investigation who was complaining to her about harassment and being pushed around physically when we did a search of his home and business. My reply to her was "and you'd have backed us up, of course" to which the reply was "crickets". Nothing further needed to be said. Talk was cheap when asses weren't on the line.

Okay, to the matter at hand.

Operation C-Chase was based out of the Tampa SAC office. Since BCCI, (Bank of Credit & Commerce Int'l), and some of its star players, (bad guys laundering money for the cartels and Manuel Noriega), was located in Miami, they sent a collateral request to our office which asked for our assistance serving subpoenas, executing warrants and generally providing assistance with the investigation.

Oddly enough, and unbeknownst to anyone, a few months before receiving this request for assistance, my wife was hired by this bank as an administrative assistant. She used to call me at work, sometimes in tears, telling me that she (virtually) didn't do anything all day but sit around with a bunch of the Latinas who were teaching her Spanish and spending their time on odd jobs. She was very frustrated.

I told her something didn't sound right about what was going on there and recommended that she begin looking for another job in banking or elsewhere. (At this point in time, other than an inkling I had no knowledge of wrongdoing at the bank as it wasn't something we had been working on.)

Anyway, there came a point in time when along with some of my partners from the money laundering group I was in at the time, we served subpoenas on BCCI at the request of the Tampa office. Their attorneys tried telling us that the subpoenas were improperly worded and executed and I told the attorney that I'd be back at 3 pm for the requested documents. If they weren't there I'd arrest him and he could argue the language and propriety with the magistrate. The documents were there.

Based upon the evidence obtained, the Tampa office obtained search warrants for the physical premises of the bank, which included the office and records of the gentleman portrayed in the movie (who was the guy my wife actually worked for).

At the time of the search I recused myself from further involvement in order to avoid the possibility of even an appearance of conflict of interest.

One of my partners, a former ATF agent and a bit of a lovable head case, is at BCCI during the search warrant and calls me in a panic.
"Blues...I'm going through a rolodex here and your wife's name is in it with your home address and phone numbers. Do you want me to tear it out and destroy it?"

"No, don't do anything you knucklehead. She works there and she doesn't have anything to hide. Just leave it the fuck alone and put the rolodex back."

I can't recall now if the arrests were made contemporaneous with the search warrant but when my wife saw her boss being taken out in cuffs on TV she yells over to me "that's the guy I work for".

I call the Tampa office and explain that my wife may have knowledge useful to the investigation as we just learned her boss was the primary target at the bank.

A couple of case agents and assistant U.S. attorney came down to our apartment on Key Biscayne to discuss the case and get the inside info she could provide. Little did I know they had a UC apartment about two blocks from me.

When other folks from the bank were subsequently interviewed by agents based upon her information, and they learned that her husband was a fed, needless to say there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

(The book goes into much more detail than the film...but it hits many of the high points despite a few things being changed for dramatic effect.)

And that's pretty much the salient part of my involvement in that particular case, one of many large, multi-national, long term and complex investigations I had the privilege of being involved in, (besides my own), during my career. The work could be very rewarding...except for the times it wasn't. I guess like most things.

Hope you find any of that remotely interesting or entertaining.

blues
05-28-2017, 01:53 PM
Operation Cornerstone (http://articles.latimes.com/1992-04-29/news/mn-948_1_federal-agents) was another case we worked in Miami through innumerable days and nights over a period of a few years. This went on primarily during the period I was working out of the Florida Joint Task Group, a task force composed of U.S. Customs and DEA special agents.

I can't even count how many sleepless overnights were spent on surveillance of huge cocaine shipments as well as the members of the trafficking organization. Eventually, the investigation came to fruition which resulted in numerous seizures, arrests and convictions and was a huge feather in the cap of U.S. Customs and DEA with the support of other state, local and federal agencies.

mmc45414
05-29-2017, 07:32 AM
Hope you find any of that remotely interesting or entertaining.
Yes, I have been a salesman most of my life, so this vicarious shit is always fun. :)

Reading between the lines, it seems as you would hold the opinion that the movie remained close enough to the facts? I have been finding stuff like this (and Narcos, yada), that is based on significant events, to be pretty entertaining.

Crazy that you wife ended up working there just out of coincidence, but I guess as prevalent as the trade was in that area during that era maybe not such a stretch.

blues
05-29-2017, 07:53 AM
Yes, I have been a salesman most of my life, so this vicarious shit is always fun. :)

Reading between the lines, it seems as you would hold the opinion that the movie remained close enough to the facts? I have been finding stuff like this (and Narcos, yada), that is based on significant events, to be pretty entertaining.

Crazy that you wife ended up working there just out of coincidence, but I guess as prevalent as the trade was in that area during that era maybe not such a stretch.

I was disappointed with the film only in that it embellished some things and left out others but in two hours you'll never get a book's worth of info squeezed in. Overall I think it told the tale pretty well if a bit disjointedly.

Banking and the drug trade in South FL were a match made in heaven hell.

Back in the day when we'd follow "smurfs", (those who worked in illegal financial transactions of under $10,000 to avoid reporting guidelines), we'd follow them from check cashing locales, cell phone retailers, money forwarding services etc, back to their money houses which we would sit on for days or weeks until we could identify (and follow) those who would show up laden with heavy bags of cash and then follow them to their own sources and eventually take them all down.

Money (like drugs) was hidden in any type of conveyance for shipping across borders. Anything from cans of food to fruit, to flowers to appliances to cars etc. Drugs in,...cash or commodities which could be sold in South America,...out. Anything that could be hollowed out or filled could be used. Imagination was the only limitation. The bad guys would rather throw the money away than have their network intercepted and incarcerated.

This cash, (a bit over a million), was discarded in a dumpster by some (drug) money launderers before I hit their known locations where I only netted about a half million. When I flipped the main guy, (and his attorney), they gave up the location of this money. The dumpster was just about to be emptied into a sanitation truck when I arrived with my partner and halted them...

The most I've ever seen and had in the trunk of my car on the way back to the evidence room, (riding solo, no less), was $10,000,000.00. (100 bags of $100,000 each being sent on an aircraft down to Bolivia from Miami Int'l Airport.)

Drugs are very big (and lucrative) business...as is any contraband, such as weapons, munitions or restricted military equipment. I worked all those areas while employed by U.S. Customs as a special agent in various groups.

mmc45414
05-29-2017, 08:28 AM
I was disappointed with the film only in that it embellished some things and left out others but in two hours you'll never get a book's worth of info squeezed in. Overall I think it told the tale pretty well if a bit disjointedly.
Gonna have to at least watch the movie again, will check to see if the book is on audio (lots of driving).

blues
05-29-2017, 08:52 AM
Gonna have to at least watch the movie again, will check to see if the book is on audio (lots of driving).

I've never listened to an audiobook but on amazon I see that you can get it for free with a free trial of audible (https://www.amazon.com/Infiltrator-Secret-Inside-Escobars-Medellin/dp/B013PU103C/ref=tmm_aud_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=).

If you can cancel without payment as most amazon programs allow during the trial, it seems like a win-win if you like that format.

Nephrology
05-29-2017, 09:30 AM
blues, I always knew you were cool, but I didn't know you were THIS cool. Thanks for sharing!

mmc45414
05-29-2017, 09:35 AM
I've never listened to an audiobook.
I think audiobooks, and streamed content in general, are awesome because you can multitask (even right now I am watching The Five Seven on the second monitor while I do this). Plus you have not totally invested in the book if it turns out to not be all that. For example, I think American Sniper was a great story about a great American, but as a book might have been a little monotonous to read (We set up, the enemy came out, we killed them. Later I called home. The next day, we set up, we...) and I am glad I listened while I was doing other things like driving.

I see that you can get it for free with a free trial of audible. If you can cancel without payment as most amazon programs allow during the trial, it seems like a win-win if you like that format.
In a few weeks I will be settling into a new job that will involve a LOT of driving for a while (and some air travel) and I will just sign back up with Audible. So I will probably have more questions on this topic, probably about early July... :)

blues
05-29-2017, 09:41 AM
blues, I always knew you were cool, but I didn't know you were THIS cool. Thanks for sharing!

Sarcasm duly noted. :p

blues
05-29-2017, 09:43 AM
In a few weeks I will be settling into a new job that will involve a LOT of driving for a while (and some air travel) and I will just sign back up with Audible. So I will probably have more questions on this topic, probably about early July... :)

If I can help fill in any gaps I'm only too happy to try.

Totem Polar
05-29-2017, 10:34 AM
GREAT story, Blues. Needs more Gal Gadot. 9.5/10... :cool:

blues
05-29-2017, 10:39 AM
GREAT story, Blues. Needs more Gal Gadot. 9.5/10... :cool:

I wholeheartedly agree. (And thank you, kindly. :cool:)

mmc45414
05-29-2017, 04:53 PM
It was also funny that I have stayed at the hotel where he meets with Aunt Vicky by the pool. It is in the St Pete area.

Greg
05-29-2017, 09:31 PM
Added to my watch list but I don't see Gal Gadot listed in the credits.

Chaswick
05-29-2017, 10:03 PM
Customs OI rocks...just sayin'. (Full disclosure...I am former Customs OI trapped in an ICE/HSI alternate universe...)

blues
05-29-2017, 10:15 PM
Added to my watch list but I don't see Gal Gadot listed in the credits.

It was a joke from another thread. Totally unrelated to this.

blues
05-29-2017, 10:18 PM
Customs OI rocks...just sayin'. (Full disclosure...I am former Customs OI trapped in an ICE/HSI alternate universe...)

I pulled the plug at the end of the year of the merger.

Peally
05-29-2017, 10:49 PM
Rented it today on your guys' recommendation; I thought it was an excellent example of how to do a police movie, my blood pressure steadily rose the entire film until the ending (which is a good thing).

It's hard for me to find movies I truly enjoy very often and this is a good one that doesn't fly off the handle into fantasy land. Much appreciated.

critter
05-30-2017, 12:57 AM
Awesome thread. Thanks for sharing your stories, Blues. Very interesting and entertaining. A million stashed in frozen broccoli... how did you catch or figure out where they would hide stuff? through searches? or did you have to know where it was prior to a warrant?

blues
05-30-2017, 08:18 AM
Awesome thread. Thanks for sharing your stories, Blues. Very interesting and entertaining. A million stashed in frozen broccoli... how did you catch or figure out where they would hide stuff? through searches? or did you have to know where it was prior to a warrant?

As I recall, the broccoli (cocaine) seizure was based upon information gleaned from one of several wiretaps that were up in connection with the Operation Cornerstone (Harold Ackerman) case.

The million in cash in the image I posted above was seized based upon surveillance of targets involved in laundering funds through an undercover operation we had in place. (It had no direct connection to the other case and occurred a year or two prior.)

The bad guys would go to our guy to have their money laundered. We'd follow and sit on these guys once they departed the meeting with the UC. Over a period of days and weeks we'd locate various other contacts of theirs as well as stash houses and associated businesses.

The specific situation that day was I was following the bad guy away from his home that morning from the Miami Lakes area in NW Miami-Dade County.

The guy picked up the heat at some point down in Kendall and tried to get away. Since we thought he might be loaded down we gave pursuit.

Pulled him over at some point and when he reached for his glove compartment he nearly got shot as there was a gun in it but he chose the better part of valor.

We didn't want to actually arrest the guy as we didn't want to tip how we were on to him, (and burn our undercover op or our informant), so I told him that if he cooperated we'd let him go.

He consented to a search of his residence. During this search his attorney called and was in the process of asking us to vacate the premises until a warrant was obtained. While I stalled him on the phone telling him his client had signed a consent form etc, I directed one of my team to a closet where a box of $500,000 was found.

I told the lawyer that we were seizing the money and arresting his client. (We weren't going to arrest, that was a bluff for the reasons mentioned above.) The lawyer asked to speak to his client and I put him on the phone. When I got back on he said the guy would cooperate.

I told him to make it good. The mope took us to another residence in the Lakes where we netted about another $80K. I called the attorney and told him all bets were off as we don't get up in the morning for $80K. He spoke to his client again and when I got back on the phone he said his client would take us to a load of cash. I told him he'd better make it good.

The bad guy directed us to a Mister Donuts, (like a Dunkin' Donuts), shop on Red Road where he told us that the money was in the dumpster.

The agent I was working with jumped into the dumpster and we found the cash just as a sanitation truck was pulling up. Their eyes bugged out of their heads.

The other agent said to me: "Hey, blues, this money is abandoned property, right?" To which I replied "We're working, Joe, (not his real name), it's a seizure...don't make me pull my gun on you."

(He actually "jokingly" mentioned this another time or two until I told him he was making me uncomfortable and if I couldn't turn my back on him I was going to put him in cuffs. The matter never came up again but I never felt comfortable working with him after that when there was a lot of money involved.)

We cut the guy loose after telling his attorney to have him report to us future loads of cash but of course we knew he never would.

The money was transported back to the office where it was run through counting machines, put into evidence and eventually forfeited as the proceeds of narcotics trafficking.

Hope this wasn't more detail than you wanted to know.

mmc45414
05-30-2017, 09:28 AM
While reading stuff about Bonni I found this and thought it was interesting:
http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/infiltrator/

blues
05-30-2017, 09:44 AM
While reading stuff about Bonni I found this and thought it was interesting:
http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/infiltrator/

Pretty good and mostly pretty accurate from my cursory read.

Did Robert Mazur say he had a fiancée in order to avoid sleeping with a stripper?

I actually found myself in this exact situation years earlier on an undercover assignment in NY where we targeted strip clubs run by outlaw motorcycle gangs and traditional organized crime (LCN).

My role was playing a corrupt officer that was taking bribes from these outfits to "fix" things. Since I wore at least a transmitter and recorder to each meeting, it was obviously a delicate tap dance that had to be performed when girls were offered as a favor. I had to tell the guys "I could get my own girls, just show me the money". They'd usually buy it or I'd jokingly say I was a "fag" and that I didn't like girls to get them off my back.

Needless to say it caused some anxious and tense moments. One time I walked into the men's room and whispered into the Kel unit (transmitter) that I planned on accepting a sexual gratuity since I couldn't hold out any longer. I'm sure that caused a bit of consternation and worry in the vehicles outside the site recording the conversations and providing backup if I were set upon by the targets. (I was joking, but just barely.)

I thought it was a lot of fun back then and looked forward to my assignments. Looking back now I think I must've been completely nuts. No wonder the military sends young men off to war.

critter
05-30-2017, 12:03 PM
Hope this wasn't more detail than you wanted to know.

Not at all! Hearing how this actually works, the connections, following leads, trails, breadcrumbs, the mind games (as opposed to the typical Hollywood presentations) straight from the source is fascinating. How long would it take the undercover op to infiltrate an illegal op? Seems like gaining trust of the ultra paranoid would be incredibly difficult.

Very interesting scenario with your partner as well. Were any of the agents ever caught with their hands in the cookie jar? How about counter intel... so much money involved to pass around... were they (bad guys) ever able to successfully get to anyone inside the agency? or caught trying?

Again, thank you very much for sharing.

Peally
05-30-2017, 12:05 PM
It's all good stuff Blues. The ability to attach things like this to very real people and events makes it far more interesting.

blues
05-30-2017, 12:35 PM
Not at all! Hearing how this actually works, the connections, following leads, trails, breadcrumbs, the mind games (as opposed to the typical Hollywood presentations) straight from the source is fascinating. How long would it take the undercover op to infiltrate an illegal op? Seems like gaining trust of the ultra paranoid would be incredibly difficult.

Very interesting scenario with your partner as well. Were any of the agents ever caught with their hands in the cookie jar? How about counter intel... so much money involved to pass around... were they (bad guys) ever able to successfully get to anyone inside the agency? or caught trying?

Again, thank you very much for sharing.

It's my pleasure. I get a little vicarious enjoyment reliving it through the telling.

As far as how long it takes for an op to be successful (or not), there's really no telling. Usually, in a best case scenario you have an informant who is an actual bad guy with connections to the organization you are attempting to infiltrate, be that a Colombian cartel, Russian organized crime, a foreign paramilitary organization etc. Having a "bad guy" who is known and already vetted makes the process smoother but not without peril. The bad guys will still do their own vetting or snooping around. Counter-surveillance is a real concern.

The best ops generally had undercover apartments, vehicles, warehouses or places of business which were discreetly wired for audio and video plus had a room where a backup team could be assembled if the UC was in jeopardy. Backstopping identities was also very important for long term ops to keep the players safe.

The one thing that law enforcement has on its side, to some degree, is the greed and / or need of the targets. It could lead to a leap of faith if the pressure was strong enough. Depending on the type of case, some things could be let go. For example, you could let money go to establish trust but you couldn't let drugs change hands without tailing them to a location and then taking down the crew in possession. Weapons, depending on sophistication and ability to render them harmless might or might not be allowed to travel on a controlled delivery. Also depended on whose items they were. If we borrowed equipment from the military or another agency we had to have tighter controls on their goods.

Unfortunately, like any other walk of life there are bad apples and I've known a few. Considered one or two friends along the way. (One of whom was arrested for his misdeeds.)

I arrested a Miami-Dade detective (http://openjurist.org/136/f3d/1434/united-states-v-fernandez) who was deeply involved in a narcotics trafficking ring importing cocaine from Venezuela illegally facilitated by the Venezuelan National Guard and our own CIA (http://www.nytimes.com/1993/11/20/world/anti-drug-unit-of-cia-sent-ton-of-cocaine-to-us-in-1990.html). I even suspected one of my former SRT teammates with helping that detective but his case was handed over to internal affairs and they dropped the ball. Spent about four years on that case which I ran with a co-case agent from DEA. The things we found out and the corruption encountered were pretty eye opening to say the least, including the involvement of the Cuban government in the operation.

It's hard to say whether the agency was ever infiltrated directly but I know that agents I personally knew were compromised by their relationships with Colombian girlfriends or others on the dark side. They didn't come on the job corrupt, they just ended up wittingly or unwittingly taking a wrong turn along the way.

Needless to say, it's a very demoralizing feeling to find out that someone you trusted and viewed as a comrade was bent.

Equally demoralizing is when your agency and government decide not to pursue an avenue of investigation for undisclosed or insufficiently justified reasons.

critter
05-30-2017, 05:00 PM
Again, fascinating.

What exactly does the "Backstopping" entail? like forging an entire backstory with the identity?

having read this thread first, the movie will be all the more intriguing for it. Going to check it out tonight.

blues
05-30-2017, 05:02 PM
Again, fascinating.

What exactly does the "Backstopping" entail? like forging an entire backstory with the identity?

having read this thread first, the movie will be all the more intriguing for it. Going to check it out tonight.

Pretty much creating all the necessary supporting documents to give the new persona life. The level of complexity varies according to the needs of a case.

Casual Friday
05-31-2017, 10:16 AM
Just watched The Infiltrator last night and like most shows/books/movies that are 80's cocaine trade related, I enjoyed it.

Greg
05-31-2017, 08:10 PM
It was a joke from another thread. Totally unrelated to this.

No Gal Gadot? PPPPHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTT!!!!

nevermind

critter
06-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Watched this one twice. Definitely an interesting portrayal. The relationships between the characters (and characters playing characters) and the manipulations in both directions while walking the fine line between cover and exposure is the most interesting aspect.

I also had to agree with the bad guy --- the Fed is the largest money laundering operation in the world. :D Is that where the forfeited cash goes? to the anonymous window?

blues
06-01-2017, 12:27 PM
Watched this one twice. Definitely an interesting portrayal. The relationships between the characters (and characters playing characters) and the manipulations in both directions while walking the fine line between cover and exposure is the most interesting aspect.

I also had to agree with the bad guy --- the Fed is the largest money laundering operation in the world. :D Is that where the forfeited cash goes? to the anonymous window?

Most proceeds (back when I was still at it) ended up going to "main Treasury". However, the primary and assisting agencies, (local sheriff's office, P.D. etc), could request reimbursement for equipment, overtime and various other expenses. Sometimes they were approved. Sometimes the agencies were told to pound sand. I didn't spend a lot of my time on the bookkeeping, (thank God), but there was plenty of it to be done and it was a thankless task.

Yes, a lot of money was laundered by the government in order to make inroads into the organizations...and more galling, some dirtbag CI's became rich in the process. And by rich I mean pretty darn rich. Of course their work was not without risk but nonetheless...

critter
06-01-2017, 02:22 PM
Most proceeds (back when I was still at it) ended up going to "main Treasury". However, the primary and assisting agencies, (local sheriff's office, P.D. etc), could request reimbursement for equipment, overtime and various other expenses. Sometimes they were approved. Sometimes the agencies were told to pound sand. I didn't spend a lot of my time on the bookkeeping, (thank God), but there was plenty of it to be done and it was a thankless task.

Yes, a lot of money was laundered by the government in order to make inroads into the organizations...and more galling, some dirtbag CI's became rich in the process. And by rich I mean pretty darn rich. Of course their work was not without risk but nonetheless...

Yeah, in the movie, IIRC, the informant working with Abreu and Muzur received(?) $250k (in 80's dollars) and wanted more (even threatening to expose them, and then attempting to do just that when denied). Were they playing a little loose with the facts for dramatization? or was that kind of thing common?

blues
06-01-2017, 04:15 PM
Yeah, in the movie, IIRC, the informant working with Abreu and Muzur received(?) $250k (in 80's dollars) and wanted more (even threatening to expose them, and then attempting to do just that when denied). Were they playing a little loose with the facts for dramatization? or was that kind of thing common?

I can't speak to the facts of that case or their informant. I can tell you that an informant on a case I participated in was paid way more over the years than the number you quoted. It was pretty ungodly though I can't specifically tell you the final amount nor do I want to venture a guess.

critter
06-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Good lord.. I guess being a schmuck with connection pays if you can get the work. Risky though.

There was another interesting character there, Dom, purportedly a mafia enforcer, taken from prison to play a role (muscle, driver, anything I guess). Did people like this (pretty hard core crime) exist in your undercover ops?

Did agents play mostly the same roles in various investigations? I mean, same undercover guys, others running surveillance/wire taps, etc? Or did assignments rotate around? if so, would you mind sharing some more of your more memorable/interesting moments from the various roles that you played? Just whatever comes to mind... if you don't mind that is, and you're not tired of typing. :)

I apologize for firing off so many questions... you're actually quite a good storyteller. Ever seriously think about a book of your own?

blues
06-01-2017, 05:02 PM
Good lord.. I guess being a schmuck with connection pays if you can get the work. Risky though.

There was another interesting character there, Dom, purportedly a mafia enforcer, taken from prison to play a role (muscle, driver, anything I guess). Did people like this (pretty hard core crime) exist in your undercover ops?

Did agents play mostly the same roles in various investigations? I mean, same undercover guys, others running surveillance/wire taps, etc? Or did assignments rotate around? if so, would you mind sharing some more of your more memorable/interesting moments from the various roles that you played? Just whatever comes to mind... if you don't mind that is, and you're not tired of typing. :)

I apologize for firing off so many questions... you're actually quite a good storyteller. Ever seriously think about a book of your own?

No books for me. Just really not something I'd have an interest in pursuing. (Though when I was younger the romance of being a writer beckoned.)

Undercover is not for everyone and some folks are better administrators on a case than they would be having to think fast on their feet.

Even those who attend various UC schools soon learn via practical exercises, (hopefully), whether they are cut out for the role before hitting the street. A blown op can be fatal to more than the case and things can and do go awry.

I only did one relatively long term UC and that was early in my career playing a bent fed for traditional organized crime and 1% MC gang up in NY. That lasted about a year...and then months and months afterward reviewing tapes and transcripts and going over evidence. Not very glamorous dealing with the minutiae.

I got recruited to do that particular assignment, I didn't go looking for it. Apparently the agents that enlisted me had gone around to the various district offices in NY asking management types who they thought might be suitable for the role. What they told me was that my name came up more than anyone else's. What I told them was that some folks must've really wanted to see me dead. ;)

Being that I was at that age when you feel that you can do just about anything, I jumped at the chance. Things look a lot different in hindsight after 30+ years have gone by.

Most of my dealings with UC cases following that were in a support role as either a case agent, an investigating agent from the same group or monitor on a wiretap. Other than that, my UC roles were simple one or two day attempts to deceive, enlist or otherwise obtain information from unwitting sources.

Roles could be diverse. It might be drugs one time. Organized crime another. Just depended on the situation and the suitability of personnel. Sometimes someone would come in from another area unknown to locals. Any general rule would be just as apt to have an exception.

The best cases were often developed by having a confidential informant with ties to the organization that could introduce the undercover to the targets of investigation. After that, it was just a matter of hard work and (hopefully) good fortune.

Robinson
06-02-2017, 01:59 PM
Just got caught up on this thread. Pretty interesting stuff Blues.

blues
06-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Just got caught up on this thread. Pretty interesting stuff Blues.

Glad you enjoyed it. :cool:

mmc45414
06-06-2017, 06:22 PM
Probably breaking some opsec rules...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170606/dc9c1ab592c37f84a48582545d9237b0.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

nycnoob
06-06-2017, 08:18 PM
Blues,

About that cash in the dumpster.

Were they about to loose the cash with the sanitation truck or was that the pickup/delivery?
I can not imagine either scenario being likely so I wonder if I am missing something.

blues
06-06-2017, 08:22 PM
Blues,

About that cash in the dumpster.

Were they about to loose the cash with the sanitation truck or was that the pickup/delivery?
I can not imagine either scenario being likely so I wonder if I am missing something.

Sanitation company was not involved. It was an attempt to evade having their organization rolled up. Money is replaceable. Organization and personnel less easily or quickly replaced.

Greg
06-07-2017, 08:50 AM
Despite the glaring absence of Gal Gadot, I watched the flick. Have to say, Cranston's wrinkled up face just didn't mesh with the gray free hair and 'stache + young kids.

What I remember most about BCCI was the sizeable number of politicians (including Utah's crapweasel Sen. Orrin Hatch) that had their hand in the till.

Those had to be interesting cases and times Blues.

mmc45414
06-07-2017, 09:52 AM
Look like Barry Seal gets his own movie soon
http://www.americanmademovie.net/

blues
06-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Look like Barry Seal gets his own movie soon
http://www.americanmademovie.net/

There was no reason for him to have been in this one, to be honest.

Peally
06-07-2017, 10:14 AM
I dunno, the unrealistic 30 seconds we got of him was probably a lot more enjoyable to watch than Tom Cruise in another lame hurr hurr action movie ;)

blues
06-07-2017, 10:49 AM
I dunno, the unrealistic 30 seconds we got of him was probably a lot more enjoyable to watch than Tom Cruise in another lame hurr hurr action movie ;)

I should be insulted that Tom Cruise's name would even end up in this thread. ;)

mmc45414
06-07-2017, 11:34 AM
But if we get to see more airplanes being crash landed, I am in....

mmc45414
06-07-2017, 11:37 AM
There was no reason for him to have been in this one, to be honest.
There was probably more that ended up being edited out, cause it was just a bit apearance.

StraitR
06-08-2017, 09:44 AM
Watched the movie with my wife on Tuesday night. Incredible story, incredible outcome. Mad respect and my sincere gratitude to those who courageously, quietly, and selflessly put it on the line.

RoyGBiv
06-11-2017, 03:04 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed this movie today.
Crashed out on the couch, ribs on the smoker, vodka rocks, Cranston rolling up bad guys.

Gonna give Sneaky Pete a go next.

Kanye Wyoming
01-16-2022, 11:59 AM
Late to the party as usual, I watched it yesterday. It was on the list I keep of movies/shows that someone has recommended at some point, with a note about who recommended. So Infiltrator movie - Blues (who had some involvement).

Great flick. Enjoyed reading this thread again just now more than the first time. Downloaded the book and will read it in due course. blues, you need to write a book. NFW I wouldn’t have contrived some operational necessity for consummating the relationship with Diane Kruger.

blues
01-16-2022, 12:04 PM
Late to the party as usual, I watched it yesterday. It was on the list I keep of movies/shows that someone has recommended at some point, with a note about who recommended. So Infiltrator movie - Blues (who had some involvement).

Great flick. Enjoyed reading this thread again just now more than the first time. Downloaded the book and will read it in due course. blues, you need to write a book. NFW I wouldn’t have contrived some operational necessity for consummating the relationship with Diane Kruger.

It was a fun ride, some of the time. :cool:

Oldherkpilot
01-16-2022, 02:47 PM
It was a fun ride, some of the time. :cool:

What was the ratio, out of interest?

blues
01-16-2022, 03:05 PM
What was the ratio, out of interest?

Impossible to say. I had a lot of fun, and worked some great cases, (mine and others), but I spent a lot of time in the principal's office. (Hard to believe, right? :rolleyes:)

In the end, I'd not have traded it for something else, but the frustrations are real, some of the management and administrators brutal, (and that goes for three agencies I worked for, or with on multi-year assignment, over the course of a career)...but when you were on the scent during a complex investigation, or tracking and hunting down your targets, it was the only place I wanted to be.

I don't know how to quantify it. Like anything else, mostly highs, some lows, a few regrets along the way.

Oldherkpilot
01-16-2022, 05:20 PM
Impossible to say. I had a lot of fun, and worked some great cases, (mine and others), but I spent a lot of time in the principal's office. (Hard to believe, right? :rolleyes:)

In the end, I'd not have traded it for something else, but the frustrations are real, some of the management and administrators brutal, (and that goes for three agencies I worked for, or with on multi-year assignment, over the course of a career)...but when you were on the scent during a complex investigation, or tracking and hunting down your targets, it was the only place I wanted to be.

I don't know how to quantify it. Like anything else, mostly highs, some lows, a few regrets along the way.

I get you. Fun some of the time, the rest of the time you just have to remember this motto: They pay us to do it, not to like it. Thanks for sticking it out (and hanging it out) for us.

Wendell
01-18-2022, 11:09 PM
...type cast like Ned Beatty after Deliverance.

Here's Beatty at his finest (playing the Irish tenor Josef Locke):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEz5zwIkk5s

DC_P
01-19-2022, 10:16 AM
I love hearing the first hand accounts like this. Thanks Blues.

blues
01-19-2022, 10:48 AM
I love hearing the first hand accounts like this. Thanks Blues.

You're very welcome. I was surprised to see this thread revived. I'd forgotten about it.

RoyGBiv
01-19-2022, 11:52 AM
Currently streaming free on demand on Pluto TV. With commercials.
https://pluto.tv/en/on-demand/movies/the-infiltrator-2016-1-1

HeavyDuty
01-19-2022, 11:54 AM
You're very welcome. I was surprised to see this thread revived. I'd forgotten about it.

Consider it remembrance therapy to help fight your aging.

blues
01-19-2022, 12:38 PM
Consider it remembrance therapy to help fight your aging.

Where's my supper?

HeavyDuty
01-19-2022, 12:58 PM
Where's my supper?

Right next to your drool cup.

blues
01-19-2022, 01:25 PM
Right next to your drool cup.

You know, you never have anything nice to say. Go away or I'll tell mom.