PDA

View Full Version : "Best" Glock Holsters & Pouches? Opinions welcome!

Thrill
03-04-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm looking to get a multi-purpose range/carry holster and 2 mag pouch, but I don't want to make any more n00b mistakes than necessary so, First let me say I am aware of how "opinionated" the answers to this questions will be,... But, with that in mind, as a new Glock 17 owner, what holster(s) do you have/recommend and why do you like them? Also, what, if any, brands/types should I avoid, and why? While your at it, where is a good place to get/order them? Thanks in advance!

JV_
03-04-2011, 07:36 PM
I've always been happy with Blade-Tech products. They're well made and readily available from Brownells. I regularly use their IWB and Belt holsters.

I don't care for double mag carriers, I'd rather have 2 singles.

I would avoid the Serpa holster.

Jay Cunningham
03-04-2011, 07:51 PM
I have carried a Glock 19 in some form or fashion for the last four years. I agree with JV that Blade Tech holsters are rugged, functional, and well-built. Raven Concealment makes nice holsters as well, but they can be hard to come by and have a long wait time. Blade Tech must have a gigantic warehouse because availability is always really good. edited to add: I am talking about "outside the waistband" carry.

Holsters for concealed carry tend to be more where the heated discussions arise.

Also agree with JV that single mag carriers can be a better idea than a double carrier - sometimes it's hard to get a real positive grip on the mag when using a double carrier. For a kydex mag pouch I recommend Custom Carry Concepts or Ready Tactical.

SLG
03-04-2011, 08:00 PM
For a multi purpose holster that you will probably use to learn your own preferences, Customcarryconcepts is the way to go. Very reasonably priced for the quality, excellent function, and if you contact Rich in the near future, I bet you'll get your holster sooner than later. No promises though.

If that doesn't work, bladetech, as mentioned, is usually a stocked item.

Kydex is not my first choice for a variety of situations, but they are versatile, and the mag pouches tend to out perform leather ones. When you get some experience with what YOU prefer, then I would look at 5shotleather, among a few others. Since John is on this forum, I would certainly go to him first.

YVK
03-04-2011, 08:11 PM
My take on Glock holsters: I think any quality builder will do. Glocks are so prevalent that most manufacturers get to build enough of those to get their stuff down. In addition, Glock's shape is pretty simple and blocky, and I think precise molding is easier to achieve.
Without personal experience, I've heard less than stellar stuff about Serpa and FIST. Other than that, I've not heard Glock owners be terribly disappointed with their holsters regardless of manufacturer.
I use a Milt Sparks VM-2 (which is one of my best holsters overall) and a Raven holster.

willowofwisp
03-04-2011, 08:36 PM
I am a huge fan of Raven concealment holsters, especially for my Glocks, I normally run two single mag carriers, in matches, class or running drills at the range.

I have a Cane and Derby mag carrier and holster coming in next week or so, I plan on giving them a run and see how they fair compared to raven.

JV_
03-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Here is one thing to think about.

Some folks like holsters that offer a lot of retention. Essentially, you could turn it up side down, with a loaded gun 1" shy of fully seating, and it won't drop out.

Some folks prefer holsters that have a positive click when the gun reaches the end of it's insertion. If it's not clicked in, and you turn over, it'll drop out.

All of the BT holsters I have, like the Belt and IWB (non injection), are click type holsters.

Pennzoil
03-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Wow you got some top notch answers fast! Just throwing in another holster option into the mix.

An inexpensive OWB option is the Safariland 6377. I haven't had mine long but can find it online for $30. I have the one for G 17 but have used it mostly with my 19. I set a lot of new personal records with this holster practicing drills this week and it has ALS retention where my other OWB holsters don't so I was surprised by the speed. Build quality is good, pistol doesn't move around in the holster and seems heavy duty. I wish I found this one awhile ago.

Magazine pouches I use are Custom Carry Concepts like others mentioned.

Concealment holster is really a personal thing. I need to start selling some of my holsters as I have way to many sitting around.

Thrill
03-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Hmmm, anything behind your name vs location? - Pennzoil in AZ?

If you're serious, what holsters might you be wanting to sell?

Pennzoil
03-05-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm just thinking in the future I need to thin out the herd but haven't thought of which ones yet. Most of them took a couple months to get made so I don't want to rush into getting rid of them. If I sell one you'll know as I'll post it here in the sale forums.

Forum name was a nickname given to me in the USCG due to working with people that didn't speak english and couldn't pronounce my last name. They seen a picture of my father drag racing I had stuck to my rack with a pennzoil sticker. Pennzoil they could say..my buddies LOVED my new name and it stuck. No association with AZ other then one of those buddies convinced me to move here. Sorry for the thread drift remove if needed.

Thrill
03-05-2011, 12:34 AM
I'm from PA, near where they produce Pennzoil,... but I want to go to AZ where the weather is WARMER! (I hate winter!) Lots of people from PA in AZ!

orionz06
03-05-2011, 12:51 AM
I see you are looking for one for range and carry, what is the difference to you between range and carry? I view it as cover garment or not. That being said, I have been carrying in some form of a kydex pancake holster for the last year or so and have no issues wearing jeans and a tshirt and still carrying. While I do practice from concealment, "range work" is done with the shirt tucked in and holster in the open. I carry at roughly 2:00.

For that, I would suggest a Raven Phantom or an Atomic Dog.

Dropkick
03-09-2011, 03:32 PM
If things go right, I'll be looking for a Glock 17 holster also.

I think I've gotten spoiled with OWB paddle holsters

Easy to put on and take off
Could get a solid grip and draw
Comfortable
Fairly concealable

Sadly, I haven't found anything else that cover all of those points as well. :(

David
03-09-2011, 04:19 PM
I just use a Level 2 Blackhawk Serpa. I had a Kydex from Comp-tac which I liked but I prefer the far cheaper polymer blackhawk since it gets really cold / hot here and I don't want to worry about cracking / melting kydex since I am in and out of the car a lot.

If something ever happened to it I wouldn't be as bummed nor would I have to wait for them to build another one. I could go get another one in 15 minutes vs waiting a week for a holster. I suppose if I carried IWB or if concealment were the priority then I would obviously look elsewhere.

Thrill
03-13-2011, 02:00 AM
I've always been happy with Blade-Tech products. They're well made and readily available from Brownells. I regularly use their IWB and Belt holsters.

I don't care for double mag carriers, I'd rather have 2 singles.

I would avoid the Serpa holster.

Thanks, JV,... Question: Why avoid the Serpas?

willowofwisp
03-13-2011, 02:08 AM

There have been cases where the serpa release mechanism has failed and guns were not able to be removed, several instructor's ban the use of the serpa in their classes

DocGKR
03-13-2011, 02:40 AM
For IWB in leather I like the Milt Sparks Heritage #1, the Kramer IWB #2, Alessi PCH, and Garrity Invictus; for a Kydex IWB the CCC Looper, Raven Phantom, and Fricke Archangel/Seraphim work well for my needs.

For OWB in leather I like the Alessi DOJ open port or Kramer vertical scabbard; for Kydex OWB I like Raven Phantom and Fricke Gideon Elite; the Comp Tac belt holster is OK if you need something quickly. If you need retention for concealed OWB, the Safariland 6377 and Holsters Plus Sure-Lock work.

I use a shortened, modified Safariland 6004 when wearing tactical armor.

Just say no to Serpas; the life you save may be your own...

Thrill
03-13-2011, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the continuing information.

I have narrowed my search - I want to carry at the range, I am also considering competing in IDPA in the future, and also carry for protection. I seems the IDPA has the following requirements (copied & edited from their PDF file) so what would be a good match? They talk a Fobus being an inexpensive polymer holster, but which one(s), Fobus or otherwise, can't you see ANY light through at the belt area?

IDPA NEW SHOOTERS Holsters and Ammunition Carriers

....Shoulder, cross-draw, ankle, or tactical thigh-rig holsters are not allowed because of either safety reasons or they are unrealistic for concealed carry. Most strong-side Inside-the-Waistband (IWB) holsters are allowed. If you choose an Outside-the-Waistband (OWB) model, it must pull the gun tight enough into your body so that a person behind you cannot see daylight between you and your holster (including through the belt slot area).
Note that there are a few low-cost plastic/Kydex models that initially appear appropriate, but are actually illegal in the sport. This is because their belt slot area is so wide that it inappropriately sets the gun away from the body. Be sure the perform the “daylight” test mentioned above to make sure the holster is legal.

John Ralston
03-13-2011, 11:02 AM
I believe this rule is to prevent the use of Dropped and/or Offset Holsters (like you would see on a LEO Duty Belt). The Offset holsters are popular in other speed shooting sports.

I would say skip Fobus - they might be cheap, but I am not sure you would even get what you pay for from what I have seen.

Stick to the recomendations above.

JV_
03-13-2011, 11:29 AM

A few things:

There is a negligent discharge issue that comes up when you're using your trigger finger, with inward pressure, to release the gun. I think this mechanism, when coupled with stress (lots of force), is an ND waiting to happen.

You can run in to issues when doing one handed drills, like reloading or malfunction drills, and you insert the gun backwards in to the holster - which is a common technique. The gun becomes locked in the holster, and you can't remove it.

They have durability/reliability issues and the mechanism can be easily jammed, locking the gun in the holster.

If you really want a retention holster, I would suggest Safariland.

Kyle Reese
03-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Paddle holsters are a no go in my book, due to dodgy retention. Case in point:

Handgun class at Quantico, 2005:

Student Bonehead proceeds to draw his Glock 17 from an Uncle Mike's OWB paddle holster, and much to his chagrin, the holster is still on the Glock. :rolleyes: Admonitions and snickers are heard in the background.

Student Bonehead locks and clears handgun, walks over to trash bin, throws said Uncle Mike's holster in the garbage on the spot.

Student Bonehead employed a BT OWB belt holster for the remainder of the class.

Student Bonehead was yours truly. :cool:

Rverdi
03-13-2011, 01:05 PM
All the above listed reasons and just horrible concealment.

David
03-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Re: Serpas

I've modified mine when I got it, knowing well of the issues associated with them. I have removed the nub on the lock and glued the lever in place since it no longer serves a purpose.

I've also removed the plastic tension spring part. My serpa functions just like my comp-tac now. There is no lock or any moving part to malfunction now and only a retention screw, This takes all of 5 minutes do do.

DocGKR
03-13-2011, 07:06 PM
David--Congratulations on appropriately killing your Serpa and rendering it safe for humanity. Thank you.

JodyH
03-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Paddle holsters are a no go in my book, due to dodgy retention.
The only paddle holster I trust is a Safariland.
I often use a Safariland ALS retention paddle holster when I'm off-road motorcycle riding in remote areas and open carry isn't an issue (it's actually commonplace in the areas I ride in).
The Safariland has taken a lot of abuse and hasn't failed me.

David
03-13-2011, 09:17 PM
David--Congratulations on appropriately killing your Serpa and rendering it safe for humanity. Thank you.

It's the least I could do, it actually works rather nicely now with all the interference(s) and worthless "safety" features gone.

ToddG
03-14-2011, 12:09 AM

DocGKR coined a great phrase during class this weekend when a student was struggling to free his pistol from a SERPA under some time stress:

"serpadeath"

Excellent.

David
03-14-2011, 01:25 AM
DocGKR coined a great phrase during class this weekend when a student was struggling to free his pistol from a SERPA under some time stress:

"serpadeath"

Excellent.

Do they sound anything like Megadeth?

KeeFus
03-14-2011, 06:06 AM
I use the Safariland 5187 for my 19 (mostly for winter when I have on a coat etc). I also use a Comp-Tac Minitor MTAC for summer time (when I only wear a t-shirt).

Both are really good holsters and both have been used in IDPA competitions.

Dropkick
03-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Re: Serpas

I've modified mine when I got it, knowing well of the issues associated with them. I have removed the nub on the lock and glued the lever in place since it no longer serves a purpose.

I've also removed the plastic tension spring part. My serpa functions just like my comp-tac now. There is no lock or any moving part to malfunction now and only a retention screw, This takes all of 5 minutes do do.

Can you take a few pictures of the end result? I'm curious to see what it looks like now on the inside and outside.

JonInWA
03-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Over the years, I've been quite pleased with the following for my Glock G17:

-Blade-Tech IWB

-Safariland 5181 paddle

-Glock Sport/Combat beltslide

-Glock Sport/Duty

-For situations where absolute minimal profile is requisite, at the cost of ease in reholstering, Bianchi Professional 100 IWB

-For situations where the most complete protection to the pistol is ideal, a Bianchi UM84/M12 flap holster or Wilderness Safepacker

The two Glock polymer holsters, especially the Sport/Combat are surprisingly effective, and quite inexpensive. If you're looking for an acceptable and effective "starter" holster while you're refining your holster tastes and requirements, I'd suggest going with the Glock Sport/Combat. I stil find mine to be a quite good OWB holster.

For magazine pouches, I prefer The Wilderness' Double Ugly for IDPA, and one of their single magazine pouches otherwise.

Best, Jon

Bill Lance
03-14-2011, 09:14 AM
A new promising holster company is Ludus Magnus Holsters.

Brand new, and veteran=owned. I don't think they have their web site running, but do have a FB page.

I have seen some of their gear, and it looks great. About to order some for myself.

Savage Hands
03-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Part of the belt attachments broke in two (I thought it was fixed after the first time) Aim Fast Hit Fast classes :o

Bladetech's WRS 'DUTY' HOLSTER
http://www.blade-tech.com/RH-WRS-DUTY-HOLSTER-DOH-3-LOOP-pr-1054.html

This piece would pop off and disappear forever
http://www.blade-tech.com/Holster-Adjustable-String-Ray-Shim-pr-1157.html

David
03-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Can you take a few pictures of the end result? I'm curious to see what it looks like now on the inside and outside.

It looks exactly the same, you can't see any visible difference unless you look inside the holster. If you look inside you won't see the "nub" on the locking latch since I removed that and you won't see the black plastic retaining spring.

The retaining spring is easy to remove since you only need to remove the retention screw and it will fall out. The latch is a bit trickier since it is removed with a pin which runs underneath it. I super-glued the latch down since it serves no purpose now other than cosmetics and a finger rest I suppose.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg10/imdavid/995cb4d4.jpg

Dropkick
03-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Oh okay! I see the little blob of super glue there. Does it make for good retention? If you flipped it upside down would the pistol be on the deck?

David
03-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Oh okay! I see the little blob of super glue there. Does it make for good retention? If you flipped it upside down would the pistol be on the deck?

No it holds the pistol as tightly as the comp-tac, you can adjust the screw tight enough to completely lock the pistol in there just like the comp-tac so there is plenty of adjustment room, I use it for a 21sf.

Thrill
03-29-2011, 06:37 AM
I ordered the Safariland 6377.
I got it from Midway USA but THEN found a better price:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/safariland-6377-als-belt-holster-stx-plain-black-right-hand-6377-83-411.html

Jay Cunningham
03-29-2011, 06:45 AM
I think that will do you just fine. But you'll still wind up with a drawer full of holsters...

;)

mnealtx
03-29-2011, 08:14 AM
I think that will do you just fine. But you'll still wind up with a drawer full of holsters...

;)

Are we NOT supposed to end up with a drawer full of holsters? :p

orionz06
03-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Are we NOT supposed to end up with a drawer full of holsters? :p

It can be significantly worse...

LittleLebowski
03-29-2011, 10:34 AM
CCC Shaggy and mag holder, everyday for carry and training.

seabiscuit
05-31-2011, 11:48 PM
-Glock Sport/Duty

+1. The best? No. But certainly functional, inexpensive, would pass the IDPA test, and a good backup holster.

Jason
06-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Kramer Horsehide IWB #3
Kramer for OTW is also awesome.
Kramer Glock 26 magazine holder for glock 19.
Rosen ARG is awesome for concealment, not as fast as the Kramer.
Raven if you want an OTW in Kydex

Buckshot
06-01-2011, 09:04 PM

;)

Crap, I wish i was down to a drawer-full! Try two footlockers!

Best G19 concealment rig I've worn yet (including my Ravens) is the Secret City Weaponeers K-25.I guess I'd go back to ye old Kramer #3 if I had to wear leather for some reason.

msstate56
06-07-2011, 09:35 PM
My favorite off duty and concealment rig is an AHolster. They are made in TN and are very comfortable. I use the OWB belt holster with the belt snaps. The snaps are on tabs on the front and rear, so it hugs the curve of your hip very tight. It offers good retention and I can adjust the screw so that I can shake a loaded G23 and it won't fall out. It sits tight enough that I can conceal a G23 under a tshirt. You can also get them in several colors (I'm partial to OD green). I've had one of these and a single mag pouch for about 3 years, and they're holding up fine. Google AHolster and you will find the website.

For IWB, I find that the CompTac CTAC is the most comfortable. I like the belt clips on the struts, because it allows the holster to hug the hip. It is also a great tuckable holster.

Frank B
06-08-2011, 07:25 AM
For OWB:
Safariland 6377 for open carry
Frontline BFL for concealed carry
Glock Sport Holster as a spare

For IWB:
CDI Pardus AIWB
Safariland #27 AIWB
Nossar Gunleather Singray 4 o´clock
Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro 3 o´clock

Magpouches:
BHI Kydex single mag carrier
Desbien Reverse Mag carrier
Maxpedition Cordura Double Mag pouch

Doug
06-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Does anyone have experience with X Concealment holsters for Glock?

http://www.flccw.com/X-Concealment/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=190&zenid=d541991cd385e8c6ce21e58082f7baf3

I am thinking of getting one as a training/range holster to start.