PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions/advice for SW Colorado roadtrip?

Bigghoss
05-26-2017, 11:12 AM
In about 3 weeks some friends of mine are coming to visit from KC for about a week. The plan is to start in Colorado Springs and go to Pike's Peak then hit Royal Gorge and setup camp at Great sand dunes NP. We'll spend 2 nights and a day at GSD and then make our way through Durango to Mesa Verde, hit 4 corners and make our way to Black canyon at Gunnison and eventually back to Pueblo where I live. We have most of our itinerary planned (not down to the minute or anything, just a general outline. Keeping it flexible) but I'm not familiar with most of that area and was looking for suggestions for stops along the way or trails to hike. I'm pretty out of shape, my two friends are in above-average condition but they have three teen daughters and none of us are all that experienced so easy to medium difficulty at the most. They're hoping to bring their '96 4wd Suburban which is in pretty good shape so backroads exploring might also be in order. But it is stock so nothing too crazy.

We would very much appreciate any suggestions/advice on things to see and do along the way. Thanks.

SecondsCount
05-26-2017, 11:53 AM
My favorite area is Silverton, CO.

Two options- Take the train up from Durango, which is on my bucket list, or drive up and take Engineer's Pass (https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colorado/engineer-pass-road) into Ouray.

FOG
05-26-2017, 12:16 PM
Definately vist durango, silverton and ouray. We spend a week there each summer. Lots of hiking and 4x4 trails, some of which aren't suitable for a stock Surburban though.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

wrmettler
05-26-2017, 12:49 PM
South Mineral Creek Campground just outside Silverton. One of great car campgrounds in the west.
Right across the road is a trail to Ice Lake. Great hike. climb from 9K to about 12.5K. But well worth it.
You can drive to Clear Lake from the rough road just down the road from the campground.

Or, you can drive to Cinnamon Pass to the east through Silverton. Road goes over the pass into Lake City. I made it in an old 4x Ford Expedition. Much fun.

Bigghoss
05-26-2017, 03:51 PM
Durango, Telluride, and Ouray are already on the list. Can't remember if Silverton was but I'll make a note of it. My buddy is big into beer and like to home brew as well as sample crafts and microbrews and I remember some breweries and distilleries in Durango and Ouray as well as some wineries for his wife.

FOG
05-26-2017, 04:23 PM
My buddy is big into beer ...

As am I. Definately go to Steamworks brewery in durango, awesome selection of beer and their Cajun broil is worth the price. Ouray has a very good brewery as well, the conductor IPA is very good

Cypher
05-26-2017, 04:34 PM
Manitou Incline

Bigghoss
05-26-2017, 05:09 PM
As am I. Definately go to Steamworks brewery in durango, awesome selection of beer and their Cajun broil is worth the price. Ouray has a very good brewery as well, the conductor IPA is very good

Yeah IIRC Ouray is a tiny bit out of the way but we were gonna detour just to hit the brewery. I'm not much into beer myself but when I do drink it I drink crafts and micro brews almost exclusively. It's Colorado, why drink cheap beer?

David S.
05-26-2017, 05:10 PM
Durango is a nice little town. I seem to remember that Ska was my favorite brewery there.
Hot Springs in Pagosa Springs?
Telluride Bluegrass fest on June 15-18 (https://www.bluegrass.com/telluride/)? I've been to a couple Blues and Brews fests. I've heard the Bluegrass fest is better. Great venue, but you may need a DD and find accommodations outside of town. I'm sure camping is long since sold out.
Can't remember if Imogene Pass is passable by Suburban, but (I think) it's one of the easier ones and it's amazing.
Grand Junction. It's probably early for Palisade peaches, but then again, maybe it's not.
Aspen is a pretty town to hang out in just to see how the other half lives.

Bigghoss
05-26-2017, 05:14 PM
Manitou Incline

I really want to do that but I'm not in the shape for it yet. My buddy's wife is doing a 5k in Springs in the morning then we're taking the first cog train up to Pike's Peak, hitting Crave for lunch and then on down to Royal Gorge so we won't have time for the Incline.

JclInAtx
05-26-2017, 05:40 PM
Last summer we drove out that way, going through New Mexico before heading up to Durango and on to Mesa Verde.

Some of the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde were closed due to damage, and others could only be visited by a ranger guided tour. If you want to do one of those tours make sure you make reservations ahead of time.

Outside of Durango, I think on the way to Silverton, is the James Ranch. They have a little food truck outside where they serve food made from ingredients grown/raised there and you can sit and eat on pick nick tables overlooking the farm. The burgers were pretty good and the ice cream and cheese from the little store was good too.

We were headed for Ouray out of Durango, but we encountered a heavy mix of rain, sleet and snow that started just before Silverton so we just stopped there. Ate at Golden Block Brewery and the pizza was pretty good but I don't remember the beers. We stopped and did a couple short hikes afterwards but found it pretty tough going at that altitude.

Shootingrn
05-26-2017, 08:30 PM
I did the alpine loop out of Lake City on a 4 wheeler. It took all day and 2 pairs of fresh underwear, I'll never forget it. My Father in Law paid for the ATV rental. I think he was trying to get rid of me, lol.

Have a good trip!

Bigghoss
05-26-2017, 10:18 PM
My dad has some quads. I bet he'd love to come down and try that.

taadski
05-26-2017, 10:36 PM
Just as a heads up, the San Juans had a big winter this year (133%) and many of the high country passes mentioned above have yet to open. That admittedly might change in the next couple weeks but there's still a TON of snow up high. The river season has yet to even begin on the Upper Dolores and the San Miguel rivers b/c of colder temps. We had a couple freezing nights just this week.

Ophir Pass is open to the top from the San Juan County side only; the Ophir side is still closed. Imogene is closed, Engineer and the majority of the Alpine Loop are still closed. The South Mineral Road Road is open to the trailhead, but the Clear Lake Road is still snowed in, etc... Last Dollar DID just open the day before yesterday. I'd guess crews will be chipping on Imogene next.

While you're in the area, check out the Telluride Brewing Company. They're a smaller operation, but are gaining a reputation as a big up and comer.

http://www.telluridebrewingco.com

Cypher
05-28-2017, 07:52 AM
OK this is a completely serious response.

If you can find a couple of hours and you like history go check out Rock Ledge Ranch. I almost hate doing alarm responses there during the day because the caretaker grabs me and gives me an in depth tour and detailed history of whatever building we're checking and whatever artifacts are in it. It's not that I'm not interested so much as I have to account for my time on the alarm response.

Bigghoss
05-28-2017, 08:10 AM
OK this is a completely serious response.

If you can find a couple of hours and you like history go check out Rock Ledge Ranch. I almost hate doing alarm responses there during the day because the caretaker grabs me and gives me an in depth tour and detailed history of whatever building we're checking and whatever artifacts are in it. It's not that I'm not interested so much as I have to account for my time on the alarm response.

If we don't go there on our trip I'll check it out myself when I get a chance. I'm big into history, particularly when I can actually go there and see stuff myself.

taadski
06-12-2017, 11:52 AM
Ophir Pass is open! :p

Image from two days ago....

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpskyvroj6m.jpg

MistWolf
06-12-2017, 01:51 PM
http://cdn.pursuitist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/GardenGods12.png

https://shapingspace.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/garden-of-the-gods.jpg?w=1014

http://blog.ebags.com/wp-content/uploads/garden.jpg

http://www.wallpapers13.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Spring-flowers-in-the-garden-of-the-Gods-in-Colorado-Desktop-Wallpaper-full-screen-915x515.jpg

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
06-12-2017, 02:53 PM
BH a minor nit, sure you just mis-typed it but Black Canyon is just outside of Montrose, not Gunni.

IMO Black is a good plan, taken it in sev. X's after picking folks up @ Montrose & the visitors center near it run by the NPS has a good (30minish) vid. that was informative. If you are going to be in Gunni, why not run up to Crested Butte, maybe grab lunch there.