PDA

View Full Version : Princess Di, the royal family, British TV, & other off-topic posts

Chance
05-22-2017, 07:30 PM
I'm sitting in the waiting room of a hospital right now, and CBS is airing a special about Princess Diana. You know, because that's the most important thing going on in the UK at the moment.... Sheesus.

orionz06
05-22-2017, 07:41 PM
I'm sitting in the waiting room of a hospital right now, and CBS is airing a special about Princess Diana. You know, because that's the most important thing going on in the UK at the moment.... Sheesus.

I'm only 33... Please tell me why she is such a big deal in the US.

Duelist
05-22-2017, 07:46 PM
I'm only 33... Please tell me why she is such a big deal in the US.

She was a real-life fairy tale princess, and we got to watch her fairy tale wedding live on TV. I'll never forget that dress and train.

orionz06
05-22-2017, 07:54 PM
She was a real-life fairy tale princess, and we got to watch her fairy tale wedding live on TV. I'll never forget that dress and train.

Ahh, entirely outta my wheelhouse. Makes sense though.

Chuteur
05-23-2017, 08:57 AM

You never worked her protective detail then!

walker2713
05-23-2017, 09:12 AM
She was a media created, imaginary fairy tale princess, and we got to watch her fairy tale wedding live on TV. I'll never forget that dress and train.

FIFY

NEPAKevin
05-23-2017, 12:00 PM

And here I thought it was the doughnut licking incident. FWIW, when I hear "fairy tale wedding" I think Charles and Diana or William and Kate. Ariana Grande, not so much.

blues
05-23-2017, 12:05 PM
And here I thought it was the doughnut licking incident. FWIW, when I hear "fairy tale wedding" I think Charles and Diana or William and Kate. Ariana Grande, not so much.

Somebody, shake Kevin... ;)

Chuteur
05-23-2017, 12:27 PM

A bit of digression for which I apologise. Charles is, and always has been, an urban spaceman.......head in the clouds. Thanks to the short lived mothers influence, both William and Harry have turned out OK, feet solidly on the ground. Kate continues to keep William honest, at university she even told him that he needed to get things out of his system and if he still wanted to continue the relationship to come back when he had made decisions/got things out of his system. Harry? The troops love Harry, he is truly one of the lads, albeit it with a title and some money - that said though when I was a Lance Corporal one of my best mates was an infantry Private who also had a title, how the title is used depends on the person holding it. But, yup, William and Harry make a good team and do some stupendous work.

AMC
05-23-2017, 01:34 PM
A bit of digression for which I apologise. Charles is, and always has been, an urban spaceman.......head in the clouds. Thanks to the short lived mothers influence, both William and Harry have turned out OK, feet solidly on the ground. Kate continues to keep William honest, at university she even told him that he needed to get things out of his system and if he still wanted to continue the relationship to come back when he had made decisions/got things out of his system. Harry? The troops love Harry, he is truly one of the lads, albeit it with a title and some money - that said though when I was a Lance Corporal one of my best mates was an infantry Private who also had a title, how the title is used depends on the person holding it. But, yup, William and Harry make a good team and do some stupendous work.

Both young men seem like decent sorts.....but Harry, definitely the only guy in the Royal Family I'd "ride the river" with.

NickA
05-23-2017, 01:48 PM
Those of us who weren't a preteen girl at the time of her wedding probably remember Diana more for her divorce and what came after. She was respected (or reviled I guess, depending) for being open about everything that happened, not quietly going away to save the image of the royal family, and going about her life doing some good charity work.
And of course being literally hounded to death by paparazzi.
I sorta vaguely remember the wedding because my sister was obsessed with it, but I'll never forget when I heard about her dying.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Peally
05-23-2017, 01:53 PM
Only vaguely remember her death as I was 7. Not really something I would follow at all regardless.

Duelist
05-23-2017, 02:50 PM
FIFY

Well, sure, go be all realistic and negative if you want. It was as real as such a thing gets to be: that is, ignore the real people in the situation and enjoy the show.

Chuteur
05-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Both young men seem like decent sorts.....but Harry, definitely the only guy in the Royal Family I'd "ride the river" with.

A quick story:

When they were both elementary school age they went along to the home of the Special Air Service with their mother. The Royals and other Govt VIP's go along every so often to show them what will be set into motion to retrieve them, or protect them should the need arise. During the day a young Prince William was heard to say, "I am going to join the SAS when I get older". Smiles all around. A young Prince Harry was heard to reply, "you can't join becasue you are going to be the King, but I can". That young man went on to be a JTAC in Afgahnistan and flew attack helicopters too.

They have both done some extraordinary things which many people would baulk at: Riding small engined motorbikes across South Africa http://people.com/celebrity/princes-william-harry-ride-across-south-africa/ ; Harry has walked the south pole and got shitfaced in Vegas. William as the future King must be protected and is kept away from such activities, though he rumourdly throws himself into as much trouble as he can, when he can.

hufnagel
05-23-2017, 05:13 PM
since we're totally derailed, as an ex-pat, have you seen the miniseries "The Crown", and can you comment if the representations of the various royal family members are at all accurate? specifically surrounding Prince Philip's also apparent desires to get himself into as much trouble as he could (flying lessons for example were dramatized as causing some consternation in the series.)

Stephanie B
05-23-2017, 06:43 PM
when I was a Lance Corporal one of my best mates was an infantry Private who also had a title, how the title is used depends on the person holding it.

"Shitbird"isn't an official title? :p

Sensei
05-23-2017, 08:02 PM
Mother Teresa's biggest sin was dying within 24 hours of Diana. It was wall to wall coverage of Diana. That disparity should give you an idea of society's collective values.

HCM
05-23-2017, 10:21 PM
"Shitbird"isn't an official title? :p

Not until "Lance Corporal, third award"

hufnagel
05-24-2017, 06:27 AM
Split out off-topic posts from the UK terrorist attack thread.

http://manybrightdots.com/twg23/pictures/sota/memes/D6WuLOKOpR2fK.gif

mods aren't shit.

Chance
05-24-2017, 08:04 AM
You never worked her protective detail then!

So she wasn't a nice person? I know nothing about her, other than landmines and the paparazzi wreck.

Chuteur
05-24-2017, 08:32 AM
So she wasn't a nice person? I know nothing about her, other than landmines and the paparazzi wreck.

Oh no, she was pleasant enough.

NEPAKevin
05-24-2017, 12:07 PM
Somebody, shake Kevin... ;)

My bad. When I come in late to a long thread I skim. Combine that with a sleep deprived brain coupled with an earlier conversation with the wife where I asked her who Ariana Grande is, led to the thought process referring to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kDAzYjbugo
Anyway, that's my lame ass excuse. And you know what they say about excuses being like asses, everyone has one and they all stink.

Drang
05-25-2017, 12:05 AM
since we're totally derailed, as an ex-pat, have you seen the miniseries "The Crown"...

Recently sat through a PBS presentation of "King Charles III", a pseudo-Shakespearean account of the events post the death of the current monarch.

Somebody hates the Royals. Made them all look like... well, like a good American probably should expect them to be, a bunch of scheming, plotting weasels.

Definitely not one of Shakespeare's better works.

Stephanie B
05-25-2017, 07:40 AM
Recently sat through a PBS presentation of "King Charles III", a pseudo-Shakespearean account of the events post the death of the current monarch.

Somebody hates the Royals. Made them all look like... well, like a good American probably should expect them to be, a bunch of scheming, plotting weasels.

Definitely not one of Shakespeare's better works.

I am at a loss for words.

RJ
05-25-2017, 09:17 AM
My bad. When I come in late to a long thread I skim. Combine that with a sleep deprived brain coupled with an earlier conversation with the wife where I asked her who Ariana Grande is...

I don't get out much, but I had no idea who Ariana Grande was until .I googled her.

On Diana: I was living in Portsmouth in the south of the UK when she died. It is hard to describe just how much impact it had at the time. I mean, it felt like the country physically stopped, the mourning was so keen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tabasco
05-26-2017, 12:08 AM

When Princess Di was killed, I was in the "Pig and Whistle" with a bunch of Brits getting shitfaced. The subject never came up in conversation until Claudia Cowen (a reporter on a local, was it Fox channel 2?) came in and interviewed us. What a trip, the false concern in her demeanor was enlightening to say the least. I can never take a reporter seriously again. Everyone at the table felt compelled to put in some word of remorse as they were on camera (I said nothing which I find to generally be a good thing). Weird.