PDA

View Full Version : New Vickers Glocks announced...

cjb1911
05-23-2017, 09:56 AM
Full FDE RTF2 with vickers rear and ameriglo hackathorn type front sights. Wish he woulda added FCS...:p

breakingtime91
05-23-2017, 10:17 AM
Man that color is ugly

blues
05-23-2017, 10:19 AM
Man that color is ugly

flat, dark, ugly...;)

breakingtime91
05-23-2017, 10:20 AM
flat, dark, ugly...;)

It matches exactly the color that was inside my son's diaper this morning... strange

Totem Polar
05-23-2017, 10:28 AM
Flat Dark Excrement... Glock 17/19BM

Other than that, pretty cool.

Hambo
05-23-2017, 10:29 AM
Not as ugly as HK's BSB color.

Peally
05-23-2017, 10:38 AM
Man that color is ugly

I really despise FDE as a super popular industry color. Brown is ugly and lame and the only reason it's popular is we have a war going on in a desert.

Black, battleship grey, OD... so many less poop looking options.

blues
05-23-2017, 10:48 AM
I really despise FDE as a super popular industry color. Brown is ugly and lame and the only reason it's popular is we have a war going on in a desert.

Black, battleship grey, OD... so many less poop looking options.

I like those choices you name...but I also like "coyote" when it's not flat, dark, ugly. A couple of my holsters from DSG come to mind as representative of a nice shade of "coyote".

TiCo
05-23-2017, 11:05 AM
I like it a lot. Matches my teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GJM
05-23-2017, 11:11 AM
Vickers is the gun industry social media version of the Kardashians.

Mitch
05-23-2017, 11:15 AM

Uh, like him or not I think he's done a little more than the kardashians to earn what he has.

Nephrology
05-23-2017, 11:27 AM
The grip plug is interesting.

Peally
05-23-2017, 11:27 AM
Past experiences aside he's currently basically a tactical cool guy brand name. Not that I blame him in that regard, if I could release Glocks in bizarre colors with my name on them and make bank I sure as hell would too.

Sigfan26
05-23-2017, 11:30 AM

That's awesome!

MSparks909
05-23-2017, 11:56 AM
He's a marketing genius. To me, this latest offering is a new coat of lipstick on the same pig...

blues
05-23-2017, 12:01 PM
He's a marketing genius. To me, this latest offering is a new coat of lipstick on the same pig...

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/putting-lipstick-on-a-pig-leah-saulnier-the-painting-maniac.jpg

"Pucker up baby! Wait until you see what else we have in store!"

:p

Sigfan26
05-23-2017, 12:13 PM

Realistically, it's more likely Glock pays to use his name and plans it all out.

JonInWA
05-23-2017, 12:17 PM
While I personally have absolutely zero interest in buying one, I have a lot more respect for this Vickers creation than in some of the other things that he's created/affiliated/endorsed. This strikes me as a viable sidearm for someone in the profession of needing one in an adverse/desert environment. The RTF finish is great against perspiration slippage, and, if you're actually going to be in a desert, the finish color is appropriate. Sight selection is top-notch. This is a reasonably executed and presumably priced pistol package that makes sense, and can actually be obtained and used by those who actually might need it.

If it also comes with the Vickers/Tango Town magazine baseplates, great. Similarly regarding his magazine release. Regarding the slide release, I prefer the Glock Extended unit, but that's me.

Best, Jon

Sherman A. House DDS
05-23-2017, 12:28 PM
I like it. Living in the midsouth, you have to be careful using guns like that in the wild. Drop it, down into the underbrush/scrublands, and it can be more difficult than a black gun to recover.

I like the RTF texture. It is abrasive against the skin, but can be dumbed down with a good sanding, while still maintaining good purchase.

I like Larry. I've trained with him, and I appreciate the lessons I've learned from him. He's amassed a good squad of haters, but most people that throw their hat in the ring for anything, with a good basis of authority, have a collection of detractors. I hope he makes a million bucks off of these.

cjb1911
05-23-2017, 12:54 PM
I like Larry. I've trained with him, and I appreciate the lessons I've learned from him. He's amassed a good squad of haters, but most people that throw their hat in the ring for anything, with a good basis of authority, have a collection of detractors. I hope he makes a million bucks off of these.

I know you're kidding. He would have to make $200/pistol for that, but I do wonder how much he is actually taking home from this run maybe 25-30k?

Kirk
05-23-2017, 12:58 PM
Am I the only one who hates the "COLORZ MY GUNZZZ" fad?

GJM
05-23-2017, 01:03 PM
You guys see a poop colored Glock, but I see this:

cjb1911
05-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Artic White Glocks need to get here soon!!!! C'mon Larry!

breakingtime91
05-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Am I the only one who hates the "COLORZ MY GUNZZZ" fad?

Eh, I get it. People want something different, shit, I even paint one of my AR 15s here and there

BillSWPA
05-23-2017, 02:05 PM
I also like my black guns to be black.

ASH556
05-23-2017, 02:34 PM

https://i.imgflip.com/1pl37s.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/1pl37s)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

Hambo
05-23-2017, 03:02 PM
You guys see a poop colored Glock, but I see this:

Dude, you need your eyes fixed. It's more like an '86 F150.

StraitR
05-23-2017, 03:05 PM
I don't care for the 100% FDE look necessarily, but it's probably a good option for someone, somewhere. Personally, I've done a lot of "tan" in leu of black on contact surfaces since moving to Florida in 2006. I've found tan grips (pistol/rifle), handguard panels, and tan stocks to be much more enjoyable when it's 98 degrees and the sun's beating down on you like a microwave. Even Satan himself is looking for shade here from June through September. Then again, I don't really concern myself with color on much of anything, including vehicles, and often choose lighter stuff across the board for the same reason above. I'd use this new Glock, no problem.

breakingtime91
05-23-2017, 03:08 PM
I don't care for the 100% FDE look necessarily, but it's probably a good option for someone, somewhere. Personally, I've done a lot of "tan" in leu of black on contact surfaces since moving to Florida in 2006. I've found tan grips (pistol/rifle), handguard panels, and tan stocks to be much more enjoyable when it's 98 degrees and the sun's beating down on you like a microwave. Even Satan himself is looking for shade here from June through September. Then again, I don't really concern myself with color on much of anything, including vehicles, and often choose lighter stuff across the board for the same reason above. I'd use this new Glock, no problem.

I distinguish my home defense rifle from my GP rifle because its a boring black gun color. My training/GP rifle has foliage green furniture and soon a camo job :cool:

TAZ
05-23-2017, 03:54 PM
Could give a hoot about the color. Mine are used as CCW so blending is the least of my worries.

Aside from the RTF2 (assuming that it's different from the gen4 texture) and the interesting butt plug what other functional updates do they have. Better trigger? Gadget? Better ejection?

Jay Cunningham
05-23-2017, 04:22 PM
This is supposed to be a technical forum.

TheNewbie
05-23-2017, 04:32 PM
https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/putting-lipstick-on-a-pig-leah-saulnier-the-painting-maniac.jpg

"Pucker up baby! Wait until you see what else we have in store!"

:p

That is beyond creepy. I almost feel immoral quoting you. This eliminates pork as an option for dinner tonight!

TheNewbie
05-23-2017, 04:34 PM
How does the RTF texture feel compared to the Gen 4? Is it advantageous over the Gen4?

LittleLebowski
05-23-2017, 04:35 PM
Do not want.

GJM
05-23-2017, 04:38 PM
RTF feels like you can peel potatoes with it in a pitch. Glock nailed it with the Gen 4 texture, and I only wish Glock licensed every other manufacturer to make Gen 4 texture standard on all pistols.

Matt O
05-23-2017, 04:42 PM
How does the RTF texture feel compared to the Gen 4? Is it advantageous over the Gen4?

RTF is where it's at - best glock texture, period.

Gen 4 is better than the regular gen 3 "texture" but still weak sauce by comparison.

LSP552
05-23-2017, 05:09 PM
RTF feels like you can peel potatoes with it in a pitch. Glock nailed it with the Gen 4 texture, and I only wish Glock licensed every other manufacturer to make Gen 4 texture standard on all pistols.

LSP issued the RTF for a before replacing with Gen 4s. They were uniform shredders and hated for anything except being on the range.

Chef
05-23-2017, 05:25 PM
Artic White Glocks need to get here soon!!!! C'mon Larry!
You may be kidding but I would buy one in a heartbeat. Matches every undershirt I own.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Chef
05-23-2017, 05:28 PM
It is much more positive grip for me. In the middle of a match on the 4th stage in the Georgia heat my palms wished for an RTF frame as the Gen 4 frame was a little too shifty in my hands.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

ST911
05-23-2017, 05:35 PM
RTF is an aggressive texture nice for shooting, but less so for carry. I've found it about as aggressive, sometimes a little less so, than the stippling jobs many are performing on their own or sending guns out for. The RTF is a gen3 grip shape, circumference, and trigger reach. The LAV models have some variant of Larry's sights, along with his slide stop lever, mag release, and magazine baseplates. Looks like this particular 2017 model has the plug with the armorer punch. The guns are otherwise OEM internally and work. As packaged, the guns combine many popular mods people are making already.

As for color... Some need it, some want it, and for others it was just on the shelf. I needed another gen4 G19 a few weeks ago, and ended up with one of Lipsey's all-FDE just because. I'm going to pick up a similar all-FDE (or OD, maybe) to differentiate it as a games gun. Why not.

bravo7
05-23-2017, 06:31 PM
They're releasing black ones as well.

HopetonBrown
05-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Hackathorn said that the Gen 3 RTF 2 was the best Glock ever.

GJM
05-23-2017, 07:26 PM

I am assuming that neither summer, nor that newfangled carry method called AIWB, have made it to Salmon, ID yet.

Matt O
05-23-2017, 08:04 PM
I am assuming that neither summer, nor that newfangled carry method called AIWB, have made it to Salmon, ID yet.

Carried an RTF frame as my carry and training pistol for 3-4 years. No issues. I like my gen 4, but it's squirmy by comparison.

ETA: Carried AIWB.

GJM
05-23-2017, 08:08 PM
Carried an RTF frame as my carry and training pistol for 3-4 years. No issues. I like my gen 4, but it's squirmy by comparison.

ETA: Carried AIWB.

Bet you like Sriracha sauce in your soup, too!

Matt O
05-23-2017, 08:14 PM
Bet you like Sriracha sauce in your soup, too!

I have been known to tolerate some soup with my Sriracha.

DocSabo40
05-23-2017, 08:50 PM
I should know better by now with my history with Glocks, but I will probably buy one of these. Mostly because I make poor life decisions and feel like I should just keep things consistent.

Totem Polar
05-23-2017, 09:02 PM

Waitwaitwaiiiiiiitaminute... am I given to understand that Hack is in Salmon?

You're right about summer, save for a very brief rafting season, btw. ;)

GJM
05-23-2017, 10:15 PM
I googled this up, and it clarified some questions I had about "RTF."

The RTF frame texture was developed in response to a request for a more aggressive frame texture than what was on the Gen1 Glocks.

The RTF2 and RTF3 frame texture was developed in response for a request for a more aggresive frame texture for use in humid/wet enviroments.

The "gill" serrations on the RTF2 Glocks were only done on the first runs of the RTF2 Glocks. After compliants, it was discontinued for the standard serrations.

Glock selected the RTF3 frame texture for the Gen4 Glocks, due to user compliants that the RTF2 frame texture was too rough for non-duty use and the RTF3 frame texture was the middle ground between the RTF & RTF2 textures.

After the release of the Gen4 Glocks, Glock discontinued the RTF2 Glocks for civilian sales. But, would keep it available as an option for Gov/Mil/LE agency orders.

Summary:
RTF = standard frame texture on the Gen2 & Gen3 Glocks.
RTF2 = rougher frame texture that is an option on Gen3 Glocks.
RTF3 = standard frame texture on the Gen4 Glocks

Tango
05-23-2017, 10:20 PM
I thought the purpose of a Glock was that a bone stock copy was all one needed for your shooting needs. All other money went towards ammo and the training everyone attends on a regular basis?

With that mindset, all Glock guys will obviously NOT buy this because it is not necessary due to regular bone stock copies being available!!!!

Sensei
05-23-2017, 10:23 PM
The grip plug is interesting.

It is the Vickers Tactical Grip plug that includes a take down tool. FWIW, one of these pistols appears to be on Gun Broker listing for $625.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the RTF texture. It chews the hell out of all shirts but is especially tough on lycra and polyester types of clothing. It will even do a number on your car seat leather if not careful.

blues
05-23-2017, 10:30 PM
I thought the purpose of a Glock was that a bone stock copy was all one needed for your shooting needs. All other money went towards ammo and the training everyone attends on a regular basis?

With that mindset, all Glock guys will obviously NOT buy this because it is not necessary due to regular bone stock copies being available!!!!

That mindset worked for this Glock owner and user from 1989 through 2017.

Default.mp3
05-23-2017, 11:19 PM
I hear mixed reviews on how durable the RTF2 is. This question is purely academic for me, since I have no desire to get a Glock, but does the RTF2 really wear down that fast? If so, how does the worn down state compare to the Gen4 texture?

orionz06
05-23-2017, 11:48 PM
I hear mixed reviews on how durable the RTF2 is. This question is purely academic for me, since I have no desire to get a Glock, but does the RTF2 really wear down that fast? If so, how does the worn down state compare to the Gen4 texture?

Maybe I'm odd... pause...

I am...

The RTF2 has always been a little meh for me over the Gen 4, especially when sweaty.

Trajan
05-24-2017, 12:05 AM
RTF 2 feels like Spyderco G10.

Jay Cunningham
05-24-2017, 12:16 AM
General note:

For those of you moaning and complaining about "derp" on the forum - here's a fucking mirror. Take a long look.

elsquid
05-24-2017, 12:28 AM
They're releasing black ones as well.

This is a plus for those of us in California. The standard, black G17 RTF2 is on roster, so it is legal to buy new from a dealer - unlike all Gen 4s.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov
17RTF2 (Black) / Steel, Polymer Pistol 4.49" 9mm 1/1/2018

I may have to get while the gettins' good and pick up a couple.

-- Michael

randy dragon
05-24-2017, 02:01 AM
I wonder why they decided to release it with the black magazine release, when they offer that part in FDE...

I prefer the RTF2 texture (especially when sweaty), but the Gen 4 frame fits better in my tiny, Trump sized hands. I did own and carry a Gen 3 w/ RTF2 for a little while, years ago. It was fine on my skin, it did wear small holes in undershirts (but they're already pretty disposable). After that, I carried a P30 for awhile, I noticed online people had similar complaints about its grip texture, I never had a problem with that one even on the shirts.

The fish gill serrations (not that they're an option on this model, but I saw them discussed earlier)- I loved them, they're amazing (especially when sweaty), and I think they should have been the new standard on every Glock. I can understand the RTF2 being a little too abrasive for some, but the fish gills are perfect. I understand they got rid of them after complaints about aesthetics, which is, of course, silly. I love them so much I would retrofit a fish gill slide onto my Gen 4 frames, were it possible. I'm seriously considering inquiring if a talented machinist would be able to add them on a slide I'm having cut for an RDS.

Edit: On the color itself- Someone mentioned this already, but it mirrored my experience. I bought an FDE Gen 4 after moving to FL, it doesn't get nearly as hot on the range. The ceracoat is good protection against the humidity, and my alien blood acid like sweat (to some extent, all my Glocks end up with pitting on the end of the barrel and parts of slide, regardless). It blends in with my body better when I have a nice tan, so I suppose if I weren't paying attention to the wind and my shirt blew up, it would be less visible. That last one is reaching, I generally maintain positive control of my shirt. I think it's better better than black, I don't really see any reason to go with a new gun in black if it's also offered in brown/tan, or even gray is somewhat better than black while not being as good as brown.

JTQ
05-24-2017, 06:10 AM
I googled this up, and it clarified some questions I had about "RTF."

The RTF frame texture was developed in response to a request for a more aggressive frame texture than what was on the Gen1 Glocks.

Glock selected the RTF3 frame texture for the Gen4 Glocks, due to user compliants that the RTF2 frame texture was too rough for non-duty use and the RTF3 frame texture was the middle ground between the RTF & RTF2 textures.

I agree with your observation.

My take was the pre-RTF's were too slick and needed more grip texture. RTF2 gave that, but probably too much. The Gen4 dialed is back to where it is just about right.

JHC
05-24-2017, 06:33 AM

My RTF2 G17 has over 12K rounds on it and it is still more grippy than my Gen 4 guns. It has been blunted some, but not that much; functionally anyway.

My RTF2 G19 has 7K rounds fired and it's texture remains more aggressive than the 17s. The 19 too has blunted but only slightly thus far.

To expand on GJM's notes about the genus of RTF2, I understand from credible industry folk that the request for it came in the context of using the pistols with gloves.

During Gabe's class this Spring was the most continuous rounds I had fired through that still very aggressive RTF2 G19 and around the 600 round mark I was really hurting and put on my gloves (Outdoor Research hot weather gloves) to stop the screaming in my head. ;) Fortunately overnight my palm cooled down and it was not as bad on the lighter tempo of Day 2.

JHC
05-24-2017, 06:36 AM

He said the same to our class a few years ago in which I was using my RTF2 G17. I pretty much agree unless carrying it against bare skin. I don't. Ever. Well I tried once, but didn't make it out of the house.