PDA

View Full Version : Does NJ have a viable Republican Governor Running?

BaiHu
05-22-2017, 11:34 AM
Because this guy will cause me to leave NJ:
https://www.murphy4nj.com/issue/gun-violence/

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

blues
05-22-2017, 11:51 AM

BaiHu: "You're right. The Carolinas do need another dojo. Why didn't I think of that?"

Kyle Reese
05-22-2017, 12:01 PM
If that's a Republican, I'd hate to see his opponent's take on the issue.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

shane45
05-22-2017, 12:04 PM
We are F'ed. Been working the escape plane since last year. Unfortunately tricky with kids still in school and work obligations.

NEPAKevin
05-22-2017, 12:12 PM
I hear the Chinese and Vietnamese will pay good money on the black market for Rino horns.

Robinson
05-22-2017, 12:20 PM
He's a Democrat.

That linked page was the most annoyingly ignorant thing I've read in a while. People like that guy are clearly from a different universe than me.

LorenzoS
05-22-2017, 12:47 PM
Whether it's this election or the next, the state is heading in that direction. If you're considering leaving then what are you hoping might change for the better to make you stay?

BaiHu
05-22-2017, 12:49 PM

BaiHu: "You're right. The Carolinas do need another dojo. Why didn't I think of that?"
It's a real concern at 43 having to think about that. I'm just finishing the last 4 months of my 3rd year in business and I might have to consider living in eastern PA as a wait and see approach. I'll get clobbered tax wise, but I'll enjoy my freedom on the weekends.

If that's a Republican, I'd hate to see his opponent's take on the issue.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Kim Guadagno is the other logical choice, but Murphy spent 20 million on the primary already. Trump spent ~50 million on a NATIONAL primary IIRC.

http://www.kimfornj.com/

NEPAKevin
05-22-2017, 01:08 PM
We had a lot of customers who bought houses in the Poconos and commuted to work, mostly because of the taxes. I was talking to a guy at a match who had the same size house as I but only about quarter acre lot in Bergen County IIRC and his payments were more than we pay for the whole year. So long as they don't get sucked into a development with an association or a McMansion they can't afford to heat, most seem to do OK keeping the income from the city job and trading off on the car expenses and the time traveling.

Jason M
05-22-2017, 02:19 PM
It's a real concern at 43 having to think about that. I'm just finishing the last 4 months of my 3rd year in business and I might have to consider living in eastern PA as a wait and see approach. I'll get clobbered tax wise, but I'll enjoy my freedom on the weekends.

Kim Guadagno is the other logical choice, but Murphy spent 20 million on the primary already. Trump spent ~50 million on a NATIONAL primary IIRC.

http://www.kimfornj.com/

Come West. The Commonwealth can always use another dojo too!

shane45
05-22-2017, 03:10 PM
Been looking at a lot of houses in PA. I was initially concerned PA would follow NJ in the near future and Id have to move again but with your former AG going in the clink a lot of that seems to have cooled down. I seem to find houses in the Lehighton area I like. Stroudsburg and Bangor area seem like good fits for my travels but I was warned off of anything that ends in burg and the Poconos. Any input from my western brethren?

Poconnor
05-22-2017, 03:22 PM
I live not far from lehighton. Lots of nice places especially if you want woods/ rural. There are more than a few small town " ridge runners" as my mom used to call them. I grew up going to the poconos every weekend in the summer. Now it's a suburb of New York. I avoid the region now.

NEPAKevin
05-22-2017, 03:44 PM
Nice gun clubs near by in Guthsville (http://guthsvillerodandgunclub.org/) and New Tripoli (http://ontelaunee.org/). Lehigh Valley Health Center is arguably one of the best hospitals in the area. My wife's sister and her husband moved down to Palmerton area for the school district. The guy who runs our shop in Lehighton bought a historic farm down there which to me sounded about ideal i.e. lots of land, house in the middle of the property, no neighbors and no major road ways running though it but also not that far from desired amenities. Some of the guys I shoot with go all the way down to Slatington to do business with A.F. Boyer Hardware (http://www.afboyer.com/) Lots of pluses for that area.

jc000
05-23-2017, 06:31 AM
Baihu, we need all the sensible people we can get in VA! Get your students to move, too! :p

NEPAKevin
05-23-2017, 11:42 AM
I don't know how it is in the rest of the country, but around here there seem to be martial arts schools popping up in every other strip mall. That and Chinese "fusion" take out restaurants.

Robinson
05-23-2017, 02:08 PM
Sounds about like here. We have a large Korean population, which is great, but it means a TKD dojo on every block. Kids and trophies are the big thing it seems.

When I moved to the area I had hoped to start teaching Goju or at least find an Okinawan school of some sort to join -- but nada. And starting a dojo in the midst of 100 TKD schools would be very difficult. Especially since I don't give a rip about trophies and such. So I merely continue to train with one other Goju black belt who was also a student of mine back in Ohio.

hufnagel
05-25-2017, 07:23 AM
I don't know how it is in the rest of the country, but around here there seem to be martial arts schools popping up in every other strip mall. That and Chinese "fusion" take out restaurants.

mmm.... "Why don't you just move???" is the question asked by the moronic. If you are willing to give up everything, then moving is incredibly simple. If you're not, then it's quite a bit more messy. The older I get, the more I come to see Minimalism as a thing that I should have cultivated in my youth.

rauchman
05-25-2017, 07:57 AM
I may have to update my LinkedIn account and start perusing employment elsewhere. This gov election cycle is going to be very dicey. I say to myself "rauchman, people in NJ aren't really THAT far out there, are they?", and then I remember Corzine, McGreevy and others. You can say what you want about Christie, but he didn't perpetuate the "anti" agenda. He held things at bay. My guess is the pendulum is swinging the other way this cycle. My in-laws and my job are the current anchors to this area. This may sound horrible to say, but the in-laws are pushing 90 and I'm fortunate that there aren't a lot of people out there that do what I do for work. Biding my time.....

shane45
05-25-2017, 09:18 AM
If NJ had an electoral college style of election it might be a different story. We are completely out voted by the inner city every time!

LorenzoS
05-25-2017, 11:25 AM
I escaped NJ in 2014, a decision I delayed for years due to the substantial costs and disruptions to my career. Eventually I realized the state is never going to get better so the sooner I bite the bullet the more time I have to recover from the costs and enjoy a better life.

I realize everyone has a different situation and the barrier to relocating might be too much for some. But if you are delaying a move because you're holding out hope for some candidate, a law, or anything else to get better then you're just burning time that could be better spent improving your situation.

hufnagel
05-25-2017, 02:29 PM
without incurring significant pain in multiple areas of my life, I'm stuck here. so I'll choose to fight.

rsa-otc
05-26-2017, 12:51 PM
Here is an article on the current candidates for Governor and their stances on Firearms. I notice that Sweeney is absent (not that we need any info on his stance).

It is interesting to note that all but one of the current democratic candidates are strongly in favor of more regulations.

I offer this with no commentary on each candidate's viability in other areas.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/05/where_every_candidate_for_nj_governor_stands_on_gu .html

NEPAKevin
05-26-2017, 01:22 PM
mmm.... "Why don't you just move???" is the question asked by the moronic.

I thought I was responding to someone who had already stated that they were thinking about leaving NJ and moving to east PA and was making observations about conditions in my general area i.e. sharing information albeit perhaps tainted by my personal perception. In no way did I intend to make a moronic effort to influence the decision making of others nor lure them away from your beloved garden state and certainly not provoke desertion from your cause. I shall happily retract my previous statements and beg all to please stay in NJ. I hear the hotdog stands are way better on the other side of the river. There you go. :)

shane45
05-26-2017, 03:00 PM
Ill start drooling on myself if that's what it takes! Ive don't the stay and fight thing as a founding member of NJ2AS. I made the personal decision that my family and I would be better server to move my efforts from fighting to moving and so I passed the torch.

hufnagel
05-26-2017, 04:22 PM
NEPAKevin: sorry... my comment wasn't directed at you. It was a general expression of frustration towards those who do think picking up and moving is as simple as doing it. Probably shouldn't have quoted you in this instance; your comment though stirred up my pissed off nature. Apologies if you felt it was towards you.

NEPAKevin
05-27-2017, 10:46 AM
No worries. I might have been a smite bit touchy myself. Having had to deal with Memorial day weekend traffic probably didn't help any. Did you know that stop signs in the Poconos are apparently now optional on holiday weekends?

shane45
05-27-2017, 01:26 PM
I thought that's how it was there based on all the PA plates doing that here :D

rauchman
05-30-2017, 07:23 AM
rsa

I'm not sure if it's my system or what, but the quotes don't work correctly.

Anyway, thanks for that link.

rsa-otc
05-30-2017, 08:31 AM
rauchman;

Ya the Quote function is acting funky in MS Explorer. I now use Fire Fox if I want to Quote or post any lengthy entries.