PDA

View Full Version : How Russia Weaponized Social Media in Crimea

Wondering Beard
05-19-2017, 10:51 AM
Interesting article on the use of social media for warfare purposes:

https://thestrategybridge.org/the-bridge/2017/5/10/how-russia-weaponized-social-media-in-crimea

Excerpts:
"The success enjoyed by Russian interests in Crimea came down to three factors. First, cyber attackers and Russian special forces created a communications blackout in the region, cutting them off from the rest of the world. Second, the employment of troll farms and social cyber-attacks to target a designated audience within the region achieved the desired result of polarizing the population in the region. Lastly, with the population polarized to the point of violence, and with limited communication from outside, the annexation came with minimal direct involvement of conventional Russian forces."

" From this, the United States should take certain lessons to heart. First, social media can make a significant impact in any future conflict involving the United States, and the U.S. must leverage this platform in its favor. Rapid urbanization on a global scale, especially within developing nations, creates challenges for resources and governance that will spark conflict, such as an inadequate water supply, or a population far too large for the government to effectively control. Within these cities, applied social media can provide a voice of hope for our supporters and attempt to persuade those who do not support U.S. operations in the area. In environments where social media use is prevalent, psychological operations can succeed or fail based on the application of social media."

Peally
05-19-2017, 10:58 AM
It's really sad that people are stupid enough to eat up things like "the enemy is crucifying children in the streets!"

voodoo_man
05-19-2017, 11:03 AM
...Why are we still on Russia...

Wondering Beard
05-19-2017, 11:29 AM
For me, since I'm the OP, it's not so much about Russia as it is about the use of social media in certain military operations and the lessons we can learn from it. If it had been Albania, or India or Tanzania that had launched such a successful operation and the article said nothing about Russia, I would have posted it too. It just happens that this was a Russian operation.

modrecoil
05-19-2017, 12:01 PM
Good article, thanks. Another takeaway is how easy it to amplify confirmation bias in a receptive populace. Hard to change minds but easy to reinforce and magnify preexisting beliefs. Russian cyberwarfare operatives learned and leveraged this truth before anyone else. They had a good head start in the art of psychological warfare, of course. We absolutely need to catch up but I'm not sure if soldiers with cameras would be all that effective. It's too malleable of a medium.

The medium is different but the strategy is an old one:
http://www.hscentre.org/sub-saharan-africa/media-tool-war-propaganda-rwandan-genocide/