PDA

View Full Version : Trading in a 45 SW?

jmrutherford55
12-29-2011, 08:44 PM
I've got a 45 N Frame Smith and Wesson double action, and I've decided it doesn't suit my needs. The ammo is too expensive to do much target practice with, the frame is too large to realistically consider for conceal and carry, I'm not a fan of the moon clips, and the frame seems too uncommon to be able to easily find accessories for. However, I like it's power. I don't want to go *much* smaller round-wise. Also, I'm 6'4"... the average "conceal and carry" designed guns are way to small for my hands. Anyone have any suggestions?

jmjames
12-29-2011, 11:54 PM
I've got a 45 N Frame Smith and Wesson double action, and I've decided it doesn't suit my needs. The ammo is too expensive to do much target practice with, the frame is too large to realistically consider for conceal and carry, I'm not a fan of the moon clips, and the frame seems too uncommon to be able to easily find accessories for. However, I like it's power. I don't want to go *much* smaller round-wise. Also, I'm 6'4"... the average "conceal and carry" designed guns are way to small for my hands. Anyone have any suggestions?

I had a similar query a month or two ago. I was looking at .45's and I said I really wanted to stick with a "powerful" round. The folks here overwhelmingly pointed me to 9mm (about 1/2 the cost of .45), specifically the H&K P30 or the S&W M&P9, both of which can be had with manual safeties if that's what floats your boat. I opted for the P30 and honestly, I am glad I did.

This thread gave me the information that convinced me that 9mm was just fine:
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?99-Self-Defense-and-Duty-Loads...ballistics-info-by-DocGKR

And here's the thread with my similar question:
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2279-HK45-Need-advice-please/

J.Ja

kle
12-30-2011, 10:59 AM
If you wanted to stick with the revolver platform and have good 'power', you could get a .357 Magnum K-frame (S&W Models 13, 19, 65, 66) or L-frame (581, 586, 681, 686); the K-frame will be smaller, lighter, and more concealable, while the L-frame will be larger, heavier, and more shootable. Cost-of-ammo-wise, however, you won't be saving any money - factory .45ACP and .38 Special/.357 Magnum ammo cost about the same.

As jmjames said, a 9mm semi-auto pistol is probably better - cost of practice ammo is far less expensive, and 'power'-wise it's up there.

If you have the time, you could get into reloading and make your own practice ammo for cheaper than either store-bought 9mm, .45 ACP, or .38 Special.

Little Creek
12-31-2011, 10:54 AM

How little will you take for it? I know you will take a beating on it if you trade it in. What length barrel? It sounds like a 45 ACP?

TNWNGR
01-01-2012, 03:39 PM
My preferences lean towards older S&W wheel guns but for a defensive carry revolver I’d look at the GP100 3” barrel fixed sights model. If you want to stick with a wheel gun it’ll do everything you need and be priced reasonably enough that you can keep your S&W N Frame. The GP100 has enough weight to comfortably handle .357 Magnum rounds but still weights less than the N frame you have. It is also one of the easiest of revolvers to clean and service as well as install a Wolff Spring kit into.
Now, if you choose a pistol I believe you’ve already received very good advice but I’ll recommend a 9x19 Glock 19 based upon my past experiences with one. The 4th Gen Glock 27 and 22 in .40 S&W have worked well for me so far but others have discussed problems. Before you trade/sell/buy try out several handguns that interest you to make an informed choice.