PDA

View Full Version : Found some interesting brass

dragonmouse
05-18-2017, 09:22 PM
Pulled a bunch of 44 rem magnum cases to tumble for the weekends session out of some of the stuff I have acquired over the last
few years and when I went to look there were about 2 dozen more or less of cases, that were head stamped r&p 44rem magnum that had shoulders on them.
I stuck a caliper on them and got.385 at the case opening. Same length as a reg 44mag case so I came did a quick google search and ran up
on something called a 357/44 Bain and Davis. Basically a necked down 44 mag to 357 that was shot in some of the single shots like Thompson
contenders as a wildcat round. Apparently there were some revolvers that were modified as well but they had real issues with them. The articles available
on google would explain that better than I ever will.
Some of those guys were necking down 44's to 41 mag with better results to. I'm no where near the point in my life where wildcats are even thought about
but I thought the idea/brass was interesting as a conversation piece. If I get a chance will get the wife to do some pics and maybe I can download em if anyone is interested.

ACP230
05-18-2017, 10:02 PM
Gun World had several articles on the Bain & Davis cartridge back in
the day. I read them with interest but never did anything more about the
wildcat.

Hambo
05-19-2017, 09:01 AM
.357 Bain and Davis was my first wildcat because it's really easy to form brass and it holds up well. It was also cheap to rechamber a TC .357 barrel. Ballistics are same/similar to .357 Maximum. I knew a tool and die maker who converted a Ruger Blackhawk by reaming the cylinder. He didn't report any problems, but I don't know how much he shot it. I wanted to try heavy bullets, but there wasn't much data at the time.