PDA

View Full Version : Are night sights needed with laser + light?

jmjames
12-29-2011, 05:53 PM
I've become pretty convinced from the threads on WMLs and lasers that both are a really good idea, and JodyH in particular makes a strong case for a green laser combo unit (I'm looking at the C5L and X5L from Viridian). With that said, I've been planning on putting a set of Heinie Straight 8 QWIKs on my P30. If I were to go the laser/light combo route, should I still put night sights on the gun? I know that the stock P30 sights aren't so hot, but would I be getting a significant advantage to having the night sights too?

My purposes are carry and nightstand, primarily, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

J.Ja

Al T.
12-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Night sights are a great help in finding your handgun at night. :)

Mr_White
12-29-2011, 06:23 PM
If I were to go the laser/light combo route, should I still put night sights on the gun? I know that the stock P30 sights aren't so hot, but would I be getting a significant advantage to having the night sights too?

If you want the most broadly-capable pistol you can have, then get the night sights too. I say that as a person who has always been in the 'I shall always use night sights' camp, but has recently been trying out plain black sights, which I do like very much.

No one can predict whether some potential shooting event in your future will actually require self-luminous sights or not. Statistics, such as they are, would suggest that a potential shooting event is likely to be in reduced light.

Threat ID and assessment in low light may require a flashlight. Or maybe not. If you are using a flashlight, night sights are less necessary, but the way you use the flashlight might be a bit more restricted than if you had night sights too. Non-self-luminous sights might require that you have the light on while firing if the marksmanship problem is demanding enough. Maybe you'd rather be engaging with the light out? Or maybe you would like to know that your threat assessment from a couple of seconds ago is still valid and you would like the light on?

There could be a lot of variables that affect things.

Lon
12-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Never completely rely on anything battery powered. Get the night sights.

jmjames
12-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Sound advice, thanks guys!

Sounds like by the time I'm done adding/changing the gun, I could have bought another one... and it's not even a 1911! :D

J.Ja

ToddG
12-30-2011, 09:48 AM
I'd always opt for night sights.

NETim
12-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Night sights are a great help in finding your handgun at night. :)

Yep. I have 'em on my guns, but I'm never without a good light.