PDA

View Full Version : Posible duty ammo drought

digiadaamore
12-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Hey guys just to let everyone know, i recently went to order my usual 9mm gold dot from streichers to find them uncharacteristically out of stock, when i
emailed one of the guys i know there. He said they had some on order but they would not be getting it til june! same with hst and ranger in 9mm. im not sure if other stores will get any sooner but seeing as most everywhere is out of stock it looks like there could be a shortage for a few months. might want to go ahead and order your preferred flavor

JDM
12-29-2011, 05:34 PM
No shortages on HST or Gold Dots from the place I do my defensive ammo buys.

digiadaamore
12-29-2011, 06:43 PM
No shortages on HST or Gold Dots from the place I do my defensive ammo buys.

do you buy by the case? that could be why

JDM
12-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Yes, I recently got a case of Gold Dots. However quick check of the web site reveals 30+ 500 round cases of all the varieties of Federal HST alone. I didnt look at the Speer inventory, but I imagine it's comparable.

I wouldn't worry about any "shortages".

There are lots of places to buy 50 round LE boxes. Shop around.

John Hearne
12-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Sorry, Winchester just moved another one of their plants 30 minutes from my house. I've apparently been taking too much advantage of the "no shipping" option. :D

digiadaamore
12-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Yeah if i pony up for the full case i know its available i meant for us mere mortals who buy 50 rounds :D

i did shop around it seems right now tds and kyles are the only fully stocked stores

Lon
12-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Midwayusa shows a bunch of GD in stock. When we (my agency) were having problem getting 45GD I spoke with our local police supply place. They told that ammo companies make production runs of ammo, then change tooling, make a run of something else and then repeat process. So it could be that until Speer makes another run of the ammo you use, your supplier won't have any more since they buy HUGE quantities at a time to sell to agencies.

ToddG
12-30-2011, 10:54 AM
That's exactly how big ammo companies work. For instance, I got an email from my contact at Federal a few weeks ago letting me know that they just did another run of P9HST3 if I wanted some.

TGS
12-30-2011, 10:40 PM
That's exactly how big ammo companies work. For instance, I got an email from my contact at Federal a few weeks ago letting me know that they just did another run of P9HST3 if I wanted some.

Whhhhaaaaaaaaat?

I can see having a contact at Federal for practice ammo since you buy by the pallet...but HST's? How many of those do you actually order? Enough to have your own slice in the pie of the production run?

holy crap dude...

ToddG
12-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Nothing like that. She just knows it's what I use (I buy 2-3 cases each year) and thought to ask if I needed any more.

Sparks2112
01-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Yeah if i pony up for the full case i know its available i meant for us mere mortals who buy 50 rounds :D

i did shop around it seems right now tds and kyles are the only fully stocked stores

We even have the ranger t series, though it's not on the web yet.

digiadaamore
01-03-2012, 10:11 AM
We even have the ranger t series, though it's not on the web yet.

How do you guys do it? ive never seen a duty round out of stock there

Sparks2112
01-03-2012, 01:27 PM
How do you guys do it? ive never seen a duty round out of stock there

The ammo fairy loves us...

Sparks2112
01-03-2012, 01:35 PM

But but but.... You're neither military nor a LEO, isn't it against their policy to sell that stuff directly to you as a civilian? ;-)

digiadaamore
01-03-2012, 03:39 PM
The ammo fairy loves us...

And I love you:D