PDA

View Full Version : pistol shooting rest

jmi786
03-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Can someone please share their opinions on the importance of using a pistol rest
to check point of impact when getting a new gun.
Is is good enough to use a sand bag or get one made from the plastic brand names.
I think the ransom rest is not an option for me ,price wise.

Thanks for any help

JV_
03-04-2011, 06:58 PM
I verify the POI with all of my guns, especially with my carry ammo. Normally I do it at 20 Yards. I shoot supported, usually with a sand bag. I've had the best luck resting my wrists on the bag and holding the gun. I can normally get a sub 2" group without much effort. I like to use a white sheet of paper, with a dark/black index card in the middle.

After the sights are adjusted I use a silver sharpie to mark either side of the sight & dovetail. It's a visual reference point to quickly check for sight drift (over time).

Little Creek
10-15-2011, 01:51 PM
I shoot several 5 shot groups, slow fire, on cheap 9" paper plates on a buff colored cardboard backer from a two hand standing unsupported position at 25 yards. I use a 6 o"clock hold. This will give me the windage as well as the elevation. I may then drift the rear sight and get a taller/shorter front sight if necessary. Glock front sights are so easy to change.

BTW, I like poa/poi at 25 yards. I do not like self defense pistols that shoot 6" high at 25 yards. That does not work well for me at GSSF matches either.