PDA

View Full Version : G34/35 owners, questions for you

jlw
12-28-2011, 06:53 PM
1: For those of you who own a Glock 34 and/or Glock 35, did you get it specifically for the gun games?

2: Do you carry it as a primary defensive pistol? If so, please provide an estimate for the percentage of the time that you do so.

markp
12-28-2011, 07:06 PM
1: For those of you who own a Glock 34 and/or Glock 35, did you get it specifically for the gun games?

No - I bought them (2) to compliment the 19 & 17's.
Have since traded away one and the GF is happy with the other.
I do have a buddy that carries a G34 w/ X300 on a full time basis in a Raven rig (http://sinistralrifleman.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/nickel-boron-plating-of-my-glock-34/), fwiw.

2: Do you carry it as a primary defensive pistol? If so, please provide an estimate for the percentage of the time that you do so.

No. Seems like the majority of time is spent carrying the 19.

Mr_White
12-28-2011, 07:07 PM

1. No. I already owned what I consider a healthy complement of my then-carry pistol, the Gen3 G17. I had the opportunity to get some more Glocks, and despite having been underwhelmed with any difference between the G17 and G34 in previous informal testing, decided on the Gen3 G34 because I didn't have any, and maybe I had simply failed to perceive the difference that so many others seem to, so decided to give the Gen3 G34 a try (since I now actually own the G34, they have grown on me enormously and are now my favorite carry pistol.)

2. Yes. It's primary 100% of the time I carry a gun. I do not even take out the garbage without all my clothes and accessories on. I carry the G34 AIWB, in modified Blade-tech Nano, with a closed front tee or polo shirt (and maybe more layers if cold) as the cover garment. When deciding on the G34 initially, I tested a buddy's G34 AIWB to see if it was going to work for me. If I couldn't carry it the way I wanted, then I wasn't going to carry it. And if I couldn't carry it, I wasn't going to get it in the first place.

jlw
12-28-2011, 07:11 PM
I'll answer my own questions:

1- Sort of. I won a GSSF pistol prize certificate and used it on a G34. I figured that for $100 (cost of the upgrade) it would be worth it to see if the G34 offered any advantages first hand. I rarely use it as while I can shoot it accurately enough, I personally can't run it as fast as a 17 or 19.

2- No. I have qualified with it and have duty gear for it, but I seldom carry it.

Prdator
12-28-2011, 07:15 PM

NO!!!!!! Though I'm Sold on the fact that they are "easier" to shoot well than the G17 and G19 size guns and I believe they are faster than the other size guns as well.

2, They are my Favorite carry guns for many reasons. I carry them almost exclusively!!!!! On the rare occasion Ill carry something else if the situation dictates it.

jetfire
12-28-2011, 07:17 PM

1. Yes.
2. Not anymore. I did carry it as a primary defensive pistol when I was using it as my primary competition gun.

Chuck Haggard
12-28-2011, 08:26 PM
I used to own two G35s, they were my SWAT pistols, and I carried one off-duty IWB as well.

I eventually bought a G34 for the same mission when we went to 9mm duty pistols. Now I have one just because.

Chris Rhines
12-28-2011, 08:35 PM
1.) Yes. I live in a non-CCW state, and work in freakin' WDC. Gun games are really the only reason I buy or own any guns.
2.) See above. If I did carry, I would probably carry a G19 rather than my G34.

-C

LOKNLOD
12-28-2011, 09:01 PM
1) I don't remember exactly what my reasoning was for needing a G34, but I just had to have one... But it wasn't specifically with gun games in mind. I didn't have a place to shoot any matches when I bought it. I did shoot it in some USPSA matches later, though.

2) Never carried it. I carried a G19 or G26 when I was carrying the Glocks, the 17/34 grip prints too much for me in traditional IWB in anything but the "stand upright and hold your arms funny so you can take a pic in the bathroom mirror to prove to the internet you can conceal anything with just a t-shirt" pose. I think I could conceal one in AIWB but it might be a little long to be comfortable sitting.

Argus
12-28-2011, 09:04 PM
...the "stand upright and hold your arms funny so you can take a pic in the bathroom mirror to prove to the internet you can conceal anything with just a t-shirt" pose."

Awesome.

TheLaw
12-28-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm pretty sure you know my reasons JL but just in case, I bought the G34 to compliment the 9mm collection I am filling and for gun games only. I do have a Personal Security Systems holster for it but I have yet to carry it over the EDC G19.

GJM
12-28-2011, 10:10 PM
2. Yes. It's primary 100% of the time I carry a gun. I do not even take out the garbage without all my clothes and accessories on. I carry the G34 AIWB, in modified Blade-tech Nano, with a closed front tee or polo shirt (and maybe more layers if cold) as the cover garment. When deciding on the G34 initially, I tested a buddy's G34 AIWB to see if it was going to work for me. If I couldn't carry it the way I wanted, then I wasn't going to carry it. And if I couldn't carry it, I wasn't going to get it in the first place.

Can you describe how you modified the Nano?

Failure2Stop
12-28-2011, 10:13 PM
I had a G35 I bought specifically for USPSA LTD.
I really like the way they shoot.

Never carried it, but with the magwell and grip tape it would be silly.

I am interested in getting a G34 as a do-all, but I think that the G19 and G17 do that well enough really.
Still, the concept continually threatens to make me foolish with funding.

LOKNLOD
12-28-2011, 11:01 PM

It's dimensionally similar to a 1911, and apparently some of the irrational emotional attachment carries over, I guess.

orionz06
12-28-2011, 11:17 PM
I had a G35 I bought specifically for USPSA LTD.
I really like the way they shoot.

Never carried it, but with the magwell and grip tape it would be silly.

I am interested in getting a G34 as a do-all, but I think that the G19 and G17 do that well enough really.

A G34 with an X300 will require a holster that is the same length and footprint (as I make them) as a G17 with an attached X300. I do not have a G34 (just a blue gun) and do not find them cumbersome at all.

I think what is being missed, and not by the OP of this thread, is that the guy who wishes to shoot, in the spirit of the KSTG (as I understand it), they would grab their G17 and still shoot.

johnemckenzie
12-28-2011, 11:19 PM

1. I currently do not participate in gun games.

2. Yes, I currently carry a G35 as my primary defensive pistol. I carry it ~90% of the time I'm wearing clothes in a Sidearmor IWB holster. One instructor pointed out it is the same size as a 1911 but holds twice as many BB's. Additionally, he pointed out it is an easy gun to shoot well, and .40 ammo performs similar to 10mm ammo with mild recoil out of the 5.3" barrel.

Best regards,

John

Tom Givens
12-28-2011, 11:41 PM
I carry a G35 every day as my primary. 180 gr HST's hit 1100 fps out of the 5.3" barrel, and IWB a G23, 22, or 35 carry the same. The extra bit of sight radius makes a big difference for me.

matman
12-29-2011, 12:52 AM
Bought my Glock 34 after my first gun class when I carried a Glock 23 in .40 caliber and realized 9mm was the way to go for economical training and that the difference in various handguns on humans was negligible but the placement of my rounds would be crucial. No gun games were in mind at purchase.

Fast forward Ive won numerous matches with it, shot numerous classes with it and carried it off and on. The issue I've always had was pitiful holsters for it. Picked up a SS style setup last winter and this has settled most of my issues with carrying it as it conceals GREAT that way even on my skinny frame. Going to try AIWB with it once I get the holster setup for it. Overall I shoot the Glock 34 better than any other handgun I've been issued or own, so why not carry it, and why not compete with it as well?!

vcdgrips
12-29-2011, 01:27 AM
I bought a g35 in .40 because I was turning .40 and because many of the agencies with whom I work
and train with were going to .40 cal.

I carry a g35 AIWB about 90 to 95% of the time. occasionally, I carry a 5 inch all steel 1911 when I am around a bunch of old school Gunsite guys so I can take their mags off of them when the zombies come and interrupt our dinner.

JonInWA
12-29-2011, 10:02 AM
While I primarily got my G34 for GSSF and IDPA use, I do occasionally cary it without any issues. Mine has Warren Tactical sights and a NY1 spring, and it's carried in a Blade-Tech Nano holster, which has proven to be excellent.

It's a good gun; several months ago I shot my most accurate IDPA match ever with it. Concealed carry is not an issue; for all practical purposes it's the same as a G17.

However, I'm far more likely to carry my G19, G17, or G21 in most cases.

Best, Jon

fuse
12-29-2011, 10:32 AM
I will decide this when my 34 shaggy arrives.

JeffJ
12-29-2011, 10:33 AM
I got mine primarily for the games, at the time it was the only pistol I had and I didn't have a carry permit. Once I got my permit, I picked up a 19 and carried it until I discovered AIWB and got a shaggy for the 34 - I carried the 34 for about 4 or 5 months until a few weeks ago when I started looking into whether or not I actually shot it better than the 19. Turns out that I can shoot the 19 quicker, accuracy is about the same (34 has a slight, almost negligible edge at over 20yds - which I suck at anyway so it's hard to quantify) and it's smaller and more comfortable to carry. So now I'm moving to make the 19 my "everything" pistol.

Mr_White
12-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Can you describe how you modified the Nano?

I went to town with duct tape, an insole, and some cardboard, and “In-Victus-ized” my BT Nano.

I used a rolled up strip of cardboard to create a triangular wedge under the right (I am right-handed) belt loop, which levers the grip into my body. The holster is set up for a slight reverse cant. I have all my 'stuff' right up front and it makes the front of my pants sag slightly. The reverse cant only maintains an actual straight drop effect.

The insole is rolled up and duct taped onto the outside of the lower left side of the holster (that's the part most in contact with my thigh and groin.) This 'mattress pad' levers the muzzle away from by groin and thigh, and also levers the grip into my body.

In short, the modifications to the holster improve safety, comfort, and concealability by levering the muzzle end away from my body a little and also levering the grip of the gun into my body. When I am standing, the muzzle is not pointed at any part of my body. When seated, my right nut might get powder-burned if I ND’d. Instead of having a hard holster in contact with my groin and thigh area, I have a hard holster covered with a nice, soft insole in contact with my groin and thigh area.

The inside of the holster, where it contacts the gun, is unmodified.

If that's not clear enough, let me know and I'll try to get some pictures posted.

GJM
12-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Wow, those are extensive mods! Did you also try a Shaggy and/or Archangel before you settled on the Nano?

Have you quantified the difference in draw speed with various material/type cover garments? Dry firing with a one second par time, and a cotton t shirt, I was making time with my Archangel, but with either an Arcteryx Schoeller cloth pull over or Core Loft jacket, the best I could do today was 1.15 from concealment to an A zone hit at 7 yards.

Dr. No
12-29-2011, 09:06 PM
I was told I had to carry a .40 cal Glock pistol for SWAT and could get either a 22 or 35. It's the only reason I own one!

JB326
12-29-2011, 09:10 PM
I carry a 35 100% of the time for patrol/ SWAT stuff, and bought a 34 simply because I like the 35 so much. Either of them easily qualify as my favorite guns to shoot, but I very rarely carry them for plainclothes or off duty carry.

JodyH
12-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Yes, purchased a 34 for IDPA.

Never carried it.

Came to the conclusion it's the Indian not the arrow, sold the 34 and started shooting my carry gun from carry gear full time.

:D

saints75
12-29-2011, 09:53 PM
I own a G35. I got it for a lot of reasons. I got it because I like it better then the G22. I feel it is more accurate then the G22 and has less recole then the G22. I wanted to use it as a duty weapon. After I purchased it the policy changed and now I can no longer us it as a duty weapon :( I am using it as a deffeance weapon. I put an X300 on it and got a Blade Tech Holster for it and it is an awsome weapon IMO. I have tried to CCW. It is kind of big for that. I do CCW the G35 once in a while. IWB would for work or open carry. You cannot go wrong with the G35 IMO.

Prdator
12-29-2011, 10:57 PM
If that's not clear enough, let me know and I'll try to get some pictures posted.

What's been seen can not be Unseen.... :p

Mr_White
12-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Wow, those are extensive mods! Did you also try a Shaggy and/or Archangel before you settled on the Nano?

Have you quantified the difference in draw speed with various material/type cover garments?

This modified Nano is actually the first and only holster I've gotten to work for AIWB. It works so well for me that I haven't been looking for anything else. I know it sounds janky as could be, with the cardboard and insole and duct tape and everything, but it really does work so well...

I have friend who has a Shaggy and also the same modified Nano I use. I think he is currently using the modified Nano, but I think he likes it and the Shaggy about equally, last he told me. Caboose, you reading this? Care to comment?

Haven't done any testing of different material cover garments against each other.

What's been seen can not be Unseen.... :p

I took down those pictures I had up on my Flickr page that showed my carry rig, due to PERSEC issues.

But you're right, and I wondered if I was the person/one of the people being referred to by someone's wife on a thread somewhere around here, where she said people needed to get better abs or else wear undershirts if they were going to post video or pictures. I could be the offender!

I can take new pictures, with an undershirt, and post them if anyone wants me to.

Caboose
12-30-2011, 11:33 PM
Well, hot diggity, a subject I've got experience with, duct taped holsters!

Yes, I'm currently wearing the same modified Nano as Origami. It's also correct that I have no measurable preference between this holster and my CCC Shaggy. The comfort is equal, I can wear either for an extended period (12+ hours) without even thinking about it.

There are some other fairly minor differences between them. I do conceal a little better with the Shaggy. Wearing full weight cotton polos there is no difference; but in the summer, I frequently wear thin, mesh like shirts to stay cool. With the thinner shirts, the Nano does print a bit more. I never noticed a difference in draw times with the different materials, the concealment was where I really noticed a difference.

The trade off is that the draw is smoother with the Nano. Specifically, the retention releases smoother, there's less of a noticeable hump in the retention to overcome. It makes very little difference, but the belt loops on the Nano are spaced further apart than the Shaggy, so you can straddle a belt loop of your pants with the holster.

So I suppose for me they're somewhat seasonal (hah)