PDA

View Full Version : Favorite cuisines / restaurants?

Kyle Reese
03-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Sitting here wishing I had some Afghan food inspired me to make this thread. :)

What here does everyone like to eat when they go out in terms of ethnic cuisine?

I'm very partial to:

*Vietnamese

*Hungarian

*Afghan

*Ethiopian

*Thai

*Indian (I just have to make sure to ask for a bowl of yogurt with my Rogan Josh, ask TC for more details on that one) ;)

*Brazilian

There are some excellent eateries close to the NRA Range in Fairfax, VA that are perfect for a post range session lunch/dinner.

There's also a Bavarian style restaurant in Fredericksburg I look forward to trying soon.

YVK
03-04-2011, 06:07 PM
French, especially French French, Japanese and steak. Indian is great but heartburn the next day takes the fun away.

MTechnik
03-04-2011, 06:33 PM
We JUST got delivery thai up here. And some decent Pho restaurants in the burbs. But they're missing something from the quicky dedicated pho places, like the one in the k-mart shopping center in herndon, va.

JV_
03-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Afghan Kabob .... you're surprised right?

LittleLebowski
03-04-2011, 06:43 PM
We JUST got delivery thai up here. And some decent Pho restaurants in the burbs. But they're missing something from the quicky dedicated pho places, like the one in the k-mart shopping center in herndon, va.

Almost walking distance from my house.

MTechnik
03-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Yeah, I might need a range trip/friend visit/grubbage trip to DC soon.

Kyle Reese
03-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Not in the least. :cool:

Mazadar in Fairfax has the best Afghan / Persian food I've ever had.

Afghan Kabob .... you're surprised right?

willowofwisp
03-04-2011, 08:42 PM
My favorite restaurant is probably Five Guys burger and fries...they have some awesome burgers/fries at a great bargain

JackOSU
03-04-2011, 09:39 PM
My favorite restaurant is probably Five Guys burger and fries...they have some awesome burgers/fries at a great bargain

If you think they have good burgers and fries try a Graffitti burger if you have them up there. Their fries kill 5 guys and the burgers are just as good and possibly better depending on what you prefer.

willowofwisp
03-04-2011, 09:44 PM
If you think they have good burgers and fries try a Graffitti burger if you have them up there. Their fries kill 5 guys and the burgers are just as good and possibly better depending on what you prefer.

It doesn't look like we have one..I may have to stop by one next time im in ohio.

LittleLebowski
03-04-2011, 10:02 PM
In'n'out ruined me for 5 guys.

willowofwisp
03-04-2011, 10:05 PM
In'n'out ruined me for 5 guys.

I wish we had those around here, a friend I went to school with was from Cali, and he said that place was just awesome

David
03-04-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm fond of sunflower seeds and orange juice.

Matt O
03-06-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm a huge fan of:

- German (hearty and layered in sauerkraut)
- Chinese (particularly northern Chinese food)
- Most anything from SE Asia (Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian, etc...except Filipino food)
- Greek (Tzatziki is, next to sauerkraut, one of the greatest creations known to man)

I'd like to try more Afghan/Persian food, so I'll have to give Mazadar a try.

Kyle Reese
03-06-2011, 10:37 PM
If you're at Mazadar, try the Mahicha Palow. It's a lamb shank cooked in garlic, carmelized onions & broth. I have it with Afghan chai.

The GF dragged me there for lunch today. :cool:

I'm a huge fan of:

- German (hearty and layered in sauerkraut)
- Chinese (particularly northern Chinese food)
- Most anything from SE Asia (Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian, etc...except Filipino food)
- Greek (Tzatziki is, next to sauerkraut, one of the greatest creations known to man)

I'd like to try more Afghan/Persian food, so I'll have to give Mazadar a try.

Matt O
03-06-2011, 10:40 PM
It's a lamb shank cooked in garlic, carmelized onions & broth. I have it with Afghan chai.

Damn, I had a massive dinner and that is already making me hungry...

Joe in PNG
03-07-2011, 03:40 AM
I’m pretty much good with food from all around the world. Some favorites…
-Brazilian food, especially at a Churrascaria.
-Japanese and Thai are rather obvious.
-Malay Chinese food (yay for Singapore Mee Hoon).
-Traditional Central Florida style BBQ ribs.

I could go on. Sadly, the country I’m in isn’t exactly known for supreme cuisine.

LittleLebowski
03-07-2011, 08:37 AM
I have an outstanding German restaurant near me.....

Kyle Reese
03-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Gotta try it sometime!

LittleLebowski
03-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Forum meetup for sure.

Frank B
03-07-2011, 09:49 AM

Next time I come over, I´ll have to check it out.:)

Frank B
03-07-2011, 09:54 AM
What I like is:

- Sushi
- Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai
- Greek
- "Five Guys" - got introduced to it at my last trip
- Mexican
- Brazilian
and I´m always in for a good piece of meat(steak):)

Matt O
03-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Unfortunately, since returning I have yet to find any decent Chinese food around here. So....sometimes you gotta take matters into your own hands.

http://ozeng.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/DSC021851.jpg

JV_
03-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Unfortunately, since returning I have yet to find any decent Chinese food around here.

I've always been happy with:
http://www.pekinggourmet.com/

Kyle Reese
03-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Shameless plug for Peking Gourmet. The food and service is second to none.

I've always been happy with:
http://www.pekinggourmet.com/

Coyotesfan97
03-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Mexican. Carolina's near downtown Phoenix is one of my favorites.

orionz06
03-07-2011, 12:13 PM
What is with Five Guys? I have been there 2 times and have been less than impressed each time.

A meal cost over $10 with a drink and fries, they take 5-10 minutes to cook the burger in grease, they then slap it on a bun, crush it, wrap it in foil and toss it on your tray.

As for my favorite foods, I have been addicted to sushi since last June when I first tried it. Good stuff, I have an AYCE buffet near my house that is $27 and the stuff is good. I have paid more for a platter elsewhere. I also have an addiction to General Tso's shrimp, there is a joint near work that is pretty good. Otherwise, there is a local joint called Mullen's (http://www.mullensbarandgrill.com/) that a few of us eat at for lunch. Everything I have had on the menu is good, everything. They have tater tots as well, so that is a plus. It is american-pittsburgh type food. Ham barbecues, sloppy joes, and lots of lobster meals. Lobster rolls, lobster mac n cheese, lobster quesadilla, etc. They even have a Lobster Zone (http://www.thelobsterzone.com/) crane machine.

http://blog.ub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/lobster-zone.jpg

MTechnik
03-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Unfortunately, since returning I have yet to find any decent Chinese food around here.

nice looking dumplings!

And did China King between herndon/reston go downhill? get sold? That place was great.

Slavex
03-10-2011, 05:31 AM
I've got a pretty simple palate, so steak, potatoes, carrots, peas, are my thing. My mom is a retired chef, and can cook the most amazing food, problem is I don't like any of it. We just discovered a phenomenal Italian restaurant nearby, never even knew about it. Not only is the food excellent, best steak I've had in BC and probably second best in Canada (Ecuador is still the best I've had in the world followed by the ones I had in Czech last year), but best part is, they aren't expensive. The wife and I had appetizers, salad, full, huge meals, drinks (she had wine, I had pop) and the bill came to $66 CDN (that's like what, $70 USD these days? :p). Frankie's Italian Kitchen and Bar. if you are ever up here, try them out.

JDM
03-10-2011, 09:22 AM
When I'm eating out? Anything but Italian.

At home, where I get most of my meals, something like this: http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6cd0bd7-deae-8128.jpg

I much prefer to cook for myself.

MTechnik
03-10-2011, 09:25 AM
-Brazilian food, especially at a Churrascaria.

Yes. Churrascarias are AWESOME.

Haven't made it to fogo de chao, but malibu grill in the DC area has decent food. Ate at Texas do Brasil in Aruba (yes, they also exist in the US) and it was supreme. But I think they were using grass fed beef from Brazil.

Yup, when I go to DC soon, Pho for lunch, chrrasco for dinner.

JV_
03-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Texas do BrasilTexas de Brazil is one of my favorite places, I was just there the other night.

Kyle Reese
03-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks for inviting me. :p

Texas de Brazil is one of my favorite places, I was just there the other night.

JV_
03-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks for inviting me. :pThanks for reminding me .... Don't you still owe me a dinner from that election bet?

Kyle Reese
03-20-2011, 02:10 PM
So last night I went to the Bavarian Chef in old town Fredericksburg. I was meeting a friend there for dinner.

While I'm not from Bavaria, I did find some of the culinary offerings a bit odd. For instance, the jaegerschnitzel was presented with watermelon :confused: and the red cabbage was too sweet for my liking. Again, I hail from Rheinland-Pfalz and my understanding is that food/culture is different in Bavaria.

The service was very good and the place had a nice ambiance.

FWIW I'm no gourmand or food critic, and I didn't sleep at the Holiday Inn last night. :o

SecondsCount
03-20-2011, 04:51 PM
My favorite cuisines would be Mexican and Italian. Greek food is not bad either when done right and we have some local Greek restaurants that do well.

Spending a few years in Chicago I miss italian beef sandwiches, good bratwursts, and good pizza. Out here in the west the Mexican food is good, especially in Colorado and New Mexico, but Utah folks tend to like there food more on the bland side. We have some local Mexican chains including Cafe Rio that have some good dishes.

I have been to In-N-Out once and still think Five Guys was better but I guess individual tastes keep both open. Maybe I will give In-N-Out another try now that they opened one up nearby.

gtmtnbiker98
03-20-2011, 06:20 PM
What, nobody likes White Castle anymore? Geesh.....

JV_
03-20-2011, 06:34 PM

I love WC, but I can only go there when I visit my relatives in NJ. I've never seen one in VA, other than in the grocery store.

orionz06
03-20-2011, 06:34 PM

I have driven 2.5 hours to go to a WC... If they were closer I would eat there more.

gtmtnbiker98
03-20-2011, 06:36 PM
I have driven 2.5 hours to go to a WC... If they were closer I would eat there more.Do you have to drive West, as in Ohio to get the fix or are they prevalent in PA? I'm lucky, I only have to drive five minutes.

orionz06
03-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Ohio is the closest.

SecondsCount
03-20-2011, 07:23 PM

There are no WC's in Utah and it is not that I don't like WC, they just don't like me. ;)