PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

rjohnson4405
03-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Disclaimer: I do not ever advocate the mixing of alcohol and firearms despite the fact that I'm asking about alcohol on a gun forum.

I didn't like alcohol for a long time. I had "tasted" beer and wine and never cared for it.

I tasted around and found some beers that I liked best and as I drank those I appreciated other brands I hadn't like previously (ahhh, gateway drug!).

At the ripe age of 23 I have been trying to find some liquor that I like. I've tried Scotch (even some "nice" stuff which tasted the same) and whiskey (Crown Royal Reserve I think) and it just tasted like paint thinner to me.

Recently I had a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale which I love and they say it tastes just like bourbon so I'm looking for Bourbon to try but have no idea where to start. I did some research and the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale supposedly has a "vanilla and caramel" taste to it.

Any suggestions on a bourbon you'd think I'd like? Feel free to discuss other types of alcohol you personally enjoy too, I think I'll continue to broaden my horizons so to speak and I'll know where to start.

Kyle Reese
03-04-2011, 03:47 PM
I've been known to partake in adult beverages (A.B) from time to time. I'm very particular as to which A.B I drink. I don't really like rum, whiskey, etc. I enjoy Hungarian red wines on occasion.

For a good drinking beer, I like:

http://iphoneart.co.cc/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Tuborg.jpg

and when in Europe or the Middle East I like:

http://www.beststuff.com/images/articles/033104a.jpg

I usually pick one up at the Duty Free in Dubai or Amman.

If you ever fly Royal Jordanian, they have free Amstel beer, and even in Coach class you're treated well.

derekb
03-04-2011, 04:30 PM
If you don't like whiskey or scotch, I don't imagine bourbon's going to sit terribly well. Most liquors are an acquired taste, I think.

Mitchell, Esq.
03-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Disclaimer: I do not ever advocate the mixing of alcohol and firearms despite the fact that I'm asking about alcohol on a gun forum.

I didn't like alcohol for a long time. I had "tasted" beer and wine and never cared for it.

I tasted around and found some beers that I liked best and as I drank those I appreciated other brands I hadn't like previously (ahhh, gateway drug!).

At the ripe age of 23 I have been trying to find some liquor that I like. I've tried Scotch (even some "nice" stuff which tasted the same) and whiskey (Crown Royal Reserve I think) and it just tasted like paint thinner to me.

Recently I had a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale which I love and they say it tastes just like bourbon so I'm looking for Bourbon to try but have no idea where to start. I did some research and the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale supposedly has a "vanilla and caramel" taste to it.

Any suggestions on a bourbon you'd think I'd like? Feel free to discuss other types of alcohol you personally enjoy too, I think I'll continue to broaden my horizons so to speak and I'll know where to start.

Ah.

A subject dear to my heart.

Whiskey is a very broad catagory. Even withing brands, you will discover variations between years, editions and aging methods.

My suggestion is to start at the best you can afford because you will need to obtain an appreciation of the classics, served properly before you can discover which profiles you actually enjoy, and what is good within them.

Warning - you will NOT enjoy all "good whiskeys".

Some will have a flavor profile you can't stand.

Dalmore Cigar Malt is a Good Whiskey.
Lagavulin is a Good Whiskey.

They taste NOTHING like one another - but both are top notch.

They are a different from each other as a 6 foot tall buxom blonde is from a 1/2 korean-1/2 brazilian who stands 5'2". Each may be hot, but they are not the same and will never be confused for each other.

You may like both, one or neither...but they are still good scotch whiskey.

Find an upper end bar or hotel, take $50 and tell the bar tender you are interested in getting a whiskey education, (scotch/bourbon/canuck...) and would like to avoid all the mixers and the cheap shit that the usual bars pawn off on people.

This will be less expensive than buying a good bottle of something with the wrong flavors for you and being stuck with it.

I prefer my whiskey in a snifter which has been warmed, with a little mineral water to open the flavors up.

Mitchell, Esq.
03-04-2011, 04:38 PM
For beer...

http://beeradvocate.com/

Read. Buy. Drink. Appreciate.

peterb
03-04-2011, 04:42 PM
It may be heresy to some, but try a splash of water in your scotch/bourbon/whiskey instead of drinking it straight. It takes a bit of the edge off. Ice tends to hide the flavor.

Lower proofs are often easier for the inexperienced spirit drinker.

I also like a nice dark rum as a sipping drink.

The advantage of drinking less is that you can afford to drink better.

jar
03-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Maker's Mark is a good gateway bourbon. All bourbons are >50% corn, and contain some barely, but some make up the rest with wheat and some with rye. Maker's is made with wheat and this leads to a somewhat softer rounder flavor.

YVK
03-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Single malt Highland scotch and high quality vodka; gin and tonic over summertime.

jslaker
03-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Maker's Mark is a good gateway bourbon. All bourbons are >50% corn, and contain some barely, but some make up the rest with wheat and some with rye. Maker's is made with wheat and this leads to a somewhat softer rounder flavor.

Exactly what I was about to suggest given the OP.

Chris_S
03-04-2011, 06:19 PM
I don't mean this in any sarcastic, pedantic, or insulting way, but you may just not be old enough for some types of alcohol. The two things that turn people off from alcoholic beverages tend to be either the alcohol flavor/burn or the bitter flavor components. The perception of alcohol doesn't really change as you age but the palatability of bitter flavors increases as we age. A lot of things in nature that are toxic are bitter and, because younger bodies are more susceptible to "bad stuff", bitter flavors appear harsher and more unappealing to younger tongues. As we age, our body's immune system finishes developing and we can take a bit more punishment. This results in nature making bitter flavors less of a turn off or, especially for us defective units who like stuff like IPAs, Islay Scotches, or oaked beers, bitter tastes can become appealing.

Wall of physiology out of the way, a quick test is whether or not you like coffee. If you think it's too bitter and unappealing, then you probably have a few more years before much old fashioned alcohol is going to be an enjoyable experience. I personally didn't like much in the way of coffee, beer, or dark liquor until I was 26 or 27, so don't feel bad. In the mean time some mixed drinks or dessert wines might be in order.

-A Gin and Tonic might have enough sweet along with the bitter of the tonic water to be a good time (they're wonderful in hot weather). So classy that you'll need to buy an H&H rifle for a safari!

-You could channel your inner dude and give a White Russian a try. Just watch out for nihilists. (Big Lebowski reference, nihilists are not a problem when drinking White Russians... normally)

-Despite the ingredient list looking like an indecisive alcoholic's shopping list, Long Island Iced Teas are tasty, though be careful not to get absolutely wrecked on them like a college freshman.

-Vodka and cranberry juice. Nothing like getting drunk and beating a UTI or bladder infection at the same time.

-Nice port wine (spend more than $20 on a bottle) is a mixture of mellow and sweet. If you and a lady like it, you can sip it together like the adorable German expatriate couple in Casablanca (at least I think they were German, it's been a few years since I last watched it).

-I've met a ton of people who didn't like alcohol but could drink plum wine like it was kool-ade. Just control yourself if you find it to your liking.

Good booze is one of life's little pleasures, just spent time tasting a lot of stuff and you'll find some great matches for your palette sooner or later.

MTechnik
03-04-2011, 07:02 PM
It may be heresy to some, but try a splash of water in your scotch/bourbon/whiskey instead of drinking it straight. It takes a bit of the edge off. Ice tends to hide the flavor.

Lower proofs are often easier for the inexperienced spirit drinker.

I also like a nice dark rum as a sipping drink.

good stuff here.

Rverdi
03-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I rarely drink... I'd much rather carry a gun.

ToddG
03-04-2011, 08:10 PM

THIS.

willowofwisp
03-04-2011, 10:01 PM
I don't drink that often...but a few years ago in college, I was often seen drinking Faygo Red pop or Orange pop..and whatever vodka I could get my hands on.

I don't really drink anymore that often after I turned 21..I rather have a gun on my side than beer in my belly.

mnealtx
03-04-2011, 10:33 PM

THIS.

Agreed - the gun cabinet closes when the liquor cabinet opens!

evanhill
03-04-2011, 10:52 PM
You might try Pendleton Whiskey.

SLG
03-05-2011, 12:03 AM

The only shots I do are .45, cause you only need one...:p

Slavex
03-05-2011, 04:03 AM

but I can't carry one here, so does that mean I should drink? hmmm the dilemma.

Actually I'm with the OP, I do not like the taste of alcohol, coupled with years of working in a bar and baby sitting morons, it really doesn't do much for me. However, of course there is a however, I do like Amaretto sours. Basically lemonade with a bite. But I really only ever have them when someone else is paying. I'd rather spend my money on ammo and guns, even if I can't carry them.
I also agree with the sentiment about age of the person and the taste of booze. I've got a couple buddies in the wine and spirits business and they say the same thing.

Business_Casual
03-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Mmmm... A nice Manhattan made with Rye and Sweet Vermouth... I'm off to the drinks cabinet!

B_C

rjohnson4405
03-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Wow, great responses guys, I really appreciate it so far.

I had been told of Maker's Mark before but I was hesitant to try it because I didn't like the other Whiskeys/Scotch I was buying and giving away (my friends didn't mind though).

I like the idea of asking for "whiskey education" at a nicer bar, might have to try that too.

Don't worry about the comment of me being too young, there are plenty of things I grow to like as I get older so no reason alcohol should be any different.

rjohnson4405
03-07-2011, 11:46 AM
As far as the drink less, carry more comment that is part of the reason I'm asking here. I don't drink enough to really get to try a whole bunch of different kinds so on the occasion that I'm in a bar with friends (can't LEGALLY carry there in Ohio but that's another topic) I wanted to have something I could order, sip on, and enjoy.

Again, I appreciate all the responses and soaking up the information, keep them coming!

rjohnson4405
03-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Here's another question:

"Girly" drinks as I call them are things like a pomegranate martini, white russians, vodka with cranberry, etc that my girlfriend gets.

I usually find them too sweet but what are some "man" drinks that are a little different than straight alcohol? I saw a manhattan mentioned, I also added pendleton whiskey to my list.

jslaker
03-07-2011, 12:01 PM
I usually find them too sweet but what are some "man" drinks that are a little different than straight alcohol? I saw a manhattan mentioned, I also added pendleton whiskey to my list.

A manhattan with Maker's is one of my favorite sipping cocktails. Martinis are always a good option (and a real martini is always gin). I also enjoy a gimlet on occasion, which is gin and lime.

The big problem with better cocktails is that once you know what a good one tastes like, there's an inclination to be picky about how they're made. I have a couple of bartenders I know and trust to be able to pour what I ask. When out at random places with friends, it's a whole different story; not to be overly crude, but there are a lot of bartenders out there that have jobs on the basis of their cup size rather than their mixology aptitude. Throw me in a random, busy bar where I don't know the bartender and I'm generally going to order either a Jack and Coke or a bourbon and soda water because they're nearly impossible to screw up.

David
03-07-2011, 02:20 PM

I don't drink alcohol at all, can't stand the smell or taste of it and I have seen what an addiction to it has done to too many people for me to want to even invite the risk.

JDM
03-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Makers Mark. Neat.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm booze.

LittleLebowski
03-07-2011, 09:05 PM
I enjoy a Scotch at the end of the day to unwind. I'm not addicted but if you don't drink, why start?

I don't have any other expensive habits like new cars :D

I prefer the peaty scotches; drinking an Islay now.

MechEng
03-08-2011, 11:41 AM
I don’t drink when I’m out and about. Only at home, in the evenings, or when I’m at a relative’s house and not going anywhere for the rest of that day. I typically drink rum & coke, wine and in the summer a caipirinha or mojito.

Occam's Razor
03-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Don't drink much at all anymore, probably because I've had enough for any one lifetime, but when I do, Black Bush, Bushmills. Neat.

smells like feet
03-08-2011, 02:11 PM
For someone like the OP wanting to venture into the whisky world, I would recommend trying out Bushmills or Jameson...two Irish Whiskys.

In general, compared to scotch or bourbon, the Irish Whisky style will be lighter in flavour...this makes it easy to drink.

A Bushmills on the rocks is about as easy drinking as a whisky will get without polluting it with coke.

jslaker
03-08-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't know how I forgot Jameson. A Jameson neat is one of my favorite things.

Mitchell, Esq.
03-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Here's another question:

"Girly" drinks as I call them are things like a pomegranate martini, white russians, vodka with cranberry, etc that my girlfriend gets.

Add a little mineral water to the whiskey.

Beyond that...

Just don't go beyond that.

TCz
03-19-2011, 12:25 AM
First off, others mentioned not mixing guns and alcohol. DAMN SKIPPY. That's all I have to say about that.

Back on topic, you may just not like most of the high-proof liquor options. Canadian whiskey is one of the smoothest and mellowest types, so if that was too harsh you might want to steer clear of whiskey (or whisky) altogether. Also, most of the classic cocktails such as the Manhattan, Martini, Sidecar, Daiquiri, etc... pack quite the alcoholic punch as well, so you may not find them any better than the neat liquors.

You might try a dark spiced rum, I like either Gosling's Dark Seal Rum or Kraken. Mix either of these with ginger beer (not ginger ale, they are very different) for something called a Dark and Stormy. Most excellent, I have never heard anyone say they did not like it.

Happy drinking.

Business_Casual
03-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Canadian whiskey is one of the smoothest and mellowest types, so if that was too harsh you might want to steer clear of whiskey (or whisky) altogether.

Happy drinking.

True, someone made me a Manhattan last night with CC and it was like drinking a cola.

B_C

WDW
06-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Mine is Vodka on the rocks with a squeeze of limehttp://www.free-emoticons.co.uk/emoticons/Drinking/drinking81.gif (http://www.free-blinkies.com/)

Chefdog
06-21-2011, 08:05 AM
When I do drink, it's got to be a Guinness. Nothing else compares IMHO.

ToddG
06-21-2011, 08:12 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-C8-L-7249KY/TfDg-EdvvyI/AAAAAAAAEb4/LynerJPb7wo/s1600/ice+tea.jpg

seabiscuit
06-21-2011, 08:14 AM
Microbrews. Always.

peterb
06-21-2011, 10:17 AM
In England I developed a taste for pub(hard) ciders. One of the local ones here is Woodchuck Amber. It's a nice change of pace from beer.

Fresh cider -- which can be hard to find outside apple season -- is a great mixer for bourbon.

TGS
06-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Microbrews. Always.

This is something I wholly disagree with. Just because they're a small, family run company doesn't mean they know two shits about how to actually make a good beer.

I would much rather have certain beers from different big-brands than almost half of the beers I've had from microbrews from Virginia all the way to Vermont.

As for mix drinks, I would recommend you stay away from the machismo "girly drink" stereotyping. Have you ever had a toasted almond? It's f'ing delicious, I don't give a flying F if it's a girly drink. If you're not manly enough to drink a girly drink because it's "girly" when it still tastes good, then that's not saying much on how manly you actually are, because real men don't give a shit. Not saying you are, and I saw your comment on how you think most of them are too sweet, but I just wanted to throw this out there.

Another girly drink I can think of that is really good is cherry vodka and coke. There were some others, I can't remember them.

Have you tried port wine? The taste can vary greatly, so follow Mitchells advice on whiskey, but this time ask for port. I generally prefer white wines with dinner, however. A tomato pie with a good white is a tasty combo.

I usually stick to sweet tea if I'm in Virginia, since I'm most likely carrying. Plus, wines are expensive as all get out in this shit hole. If I'm going to dine out(besides the local afghan kabob joint), I much prefer to save my money for NJ where the food is good and I can bring my own booze to the restaurant.

To reemphasize on what I wrote earlier, don't pay attention to stereotypes. If you like girly drinks, then drink them. If you prefer white wine with a steak rather than a red wine, then drink it. It's all about you enjoying it, not about looking cool to your buddies because you ordered a more sophisticated beer or whatnot. Fuck taboos. Honey badger don't give a shit, so why should you?

peterb
06-21-2011, 11:37 AM
I like to try local beers not because I think they're always better than the national brands, but because they're different. Eating & drinking the local specialties is part of the fun of travelling.

And given the choice, I'd rather spend my money close to home:
http://www.tuckermanbrewing.com/our-brews/pale-ale
http://www.smuttynose.com/

Beer is perishable, and freshness can make a difference. I have toured the Anheuser-Busch brewery in southern NH, had the free samples, and will say there's a huge difference between an A-B beer fresh on tap and one that's been in a can for a couple of months or more.

agent-smith
06-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Usually, I'll just slam a bottle or three of Listerine.

If it is a special occasion like a wedding or job interview I'll sometimes splurge on an 18 pack of Natty Ice.

Matt O
06-21-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm definitely a huge beer guy, the hoppier the better. IPA's, pale ales, hoppy lagers, etc. I also like a good bourbon barrel stout in the winter.

Over the last couple months I've started brewing my own ales. This allows me to customize the beers to my palate while also being much cheaper than anything at the store. Think of it as reloading...for beer.

irishshooter
06-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Microbrews. Always.

+1

Aray
06-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Back to the op, if you think you might like bourbon, try Basil Hayden's. It is a 'good' bourbon, that is not as aggressive in flavor as many. I totally agree with the suggestion to go somewhere with a good top shelf selection and try some, a good 'Barman' will be able to describe them well. If they can't go somewhere else. If you don't see names like Basil Hayden's, Booker's, Baker's, and Woodford Reserve they don't have a decent selection and move up. Maker's Mark is indeed a vanilla tasting sweeter bourbon, good for how cheap it is.

VolGrad
06-21-2011, 08:07 PM
For Bourbon my pref is Woodford Reserve.

For Scotch my new favorite is The Balvinie 15yr. It's a bit out of my price range but or special occasions .....

However, I'm really more of a beer man. I prefer Hoppy beers or on the other end of the spectrum really rich, dark stuff. We have a new Growler shop in town and they have an awesome selection of stuff you can't generally find in stores.

DocGKR
06-21-2011, 08:28 PM
VolGrad: You ask why...In my case I made my comments because just about every single month I become aware of another citizen or officer with purported "good judgement" who failed to use it when firearms and alcohol became mixed; either they blundered by carrying a weapon while drinking in public resulting in further tragedy or they let their guard down while unarmed and drinking--becoming yet another victim. When armed, we may no longer be free to make our own adult choices, as we are often constrained by harsh realities of the legal system...

DocGKR
06-21-2011, 09:00 PM
rjohnson4405--You mentioned you found some beer you enjoyed; it might be useful if you noted what you liked. Also, you mentioned "vanilla and caramel" flavors as being something you found potentially interesting. You might wish to try a quality 20+ year old Tawny Port--the Sandeman 20 y/o Tawny if very good, as are the Dow Colheita Tawny's and some of the Warre's Reserve Tawny's. The Australian Yalumba Antique Tawny Museum Reserve Barossa Dessert Wine is a good bargain. The best Scottish Ale's also have similar flavors; you might also try something like an Anchor Steam Porter. Should you wish to venture further, consider good Champagne's or sparkling wines, including the Rose's; Louis Roderer and Roderer Estate are favorites. You could also try a nice white wine--German Riesling QWMP Kabinett's like the Leitz Rüdesheimer from Rheingau or Dr. Loosen from the Mossel-Saar-Ruwer are often tasty yet light. You could also go with a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough like the Villa Maria, Whitehaven, or Craggy Range. Should you desire a red, consider starting with California Zinfandels like the better ones from Ridge, Renwood, or Turley.

YVK
06-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Here's a question for you guys;

Have you ever realized you ordered a drink while carrying, but realized it a few minutes too late?

Not exactly the same scenario, but I've been in situations where I couldn't refuse an alcoholic drink while carrying (that is, without disclosing I was carrying which I wasn't going to do). This is always a suboptimal situation, but there are always options of how to deal with it, depending on individual circumstances.

Back to a topic, I tried an absolutely wonderful sake over the Memorial Day weekend in Vegas, but forgot the name of it. I admit of not knowing much about sake and it will be my next area of exploration. On the other hand, I've just returned from a first trip to B.C. and I wasn't much impressed with local wines.

TCz
06-21-2011, 10:57 PM
You might try a Horse's Neck.
Ginger ale and bourbon(or brandy) on the rocks with a twist of lemon. Not too sweet, and the whiskey merely lends its' flavor without creating a burn.

DocGKR
06-21-2011, 11:47 PM
One of the simplest ways to refuse an alcoholic beverage in a social setting is to state that you have a pending activity that prevents alcohol ingestion (surgery, flying, driving, etc...). For example I state that I am on call and cannot drink alcohol as I may have to go into the hospital at any time to treat patients. If anyone argues, I ask if they would rather have me operate on their family with a clear head or after a few cocktails--that usually shuts up most folks...

Shellback
06-22-2011, 03:12 AM
A nice rum to try is the Angostura 1919, made by the same people as the famous bitters. I first had it in Trinidad & Tobago on the rocks, T&T is hot and humid!, and a splash of coconut water. I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot if you want something a little off the beaten path.

On a side note Nevada has a maximum BAC of .10 while carrying a concealed firearm. Our concealed carry laws were written when our DUI laws were BAC .10 and nobody ever bothered to change it after the maximum BAC was arbitrarily lowered to .08 by Clinton. Nevada went along with the federal change so we wouldn't have our federal highway funding cut.

LittleLebowski
06-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Below is the post that stated the intent of this thread. I have split this thread so that we may discuss enjoyment of alcohol here and the vagaries of alcohol and weapons here (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1203-On-alcohol-and-carrying-a-civil-discussion). Thread drift occurred and now we have two separate discussions.

John Hearne
06-23-2011, 07:44 PM
I've never developed a taste for beer or coffee. For a "beer-ish" drink I really like Woodchuck Amber Hard Cider. It tastes nothing like beer and has a very pleasant taste.

I do like bourbons and scotches. My general bourbon is Knob Creek. It's just a bit more expensive than Makers Mark but has a much more complex combination of flavors. (For worthless gun related trivia, Maker's Mark was one of Jeff Cooper's favorite drinks) The other choices in that collection, Booker's, Baker's, and Basil Haden's are excellent but more expensive.

I used to attend an annual whiskey tasting at a Celtic festival and got to sample a ton of great options. Everything I liked was very expensive so I steer away except for special occasions. A buddy just got married and I got a bottle of Balviene's 17 year old and it was incredible. It was a $125+ bottle and it will probably be years before I have more.

VolGrad
06-23-2011, 08:20 PM
A buddy just got married and I got a bottle of Balviene's 17 year old and it was incredible. It was a $125+ bottle and it will probably be years before I have more.

I haven't had the 17yr but the 15yr is pretty darn good and is a bit less expensive at $80.

LittleLebowski
06-24-2011, 05:47 AM
I am stomp down AMAZED at how good moderately priced tequilas are. Much better than moderately priced bourbons and scotches in my book. Current drinking Luna Azul Reposado for a whopping $17.95 a bottle. Yes, I sip it and enjoy the taste. I enjoy it more and hav Emory money to spend on ammo :D

Shellback
06-24-2011, 10:31 AM
I am stomp down AMAZED at how good moderately priced tequilas are. Much better than moderately priced bourbons and scotches in my book. Current drinking Luna Azul Reposado for a whopping $17.95 a bottle. Yes, I sip it and enjoy the taste. I enjoy it more and hav Emory money to spend on ammo :D

A little bit pricier but I really enjoy the Don Julio Reposado for a sipping tequila. If you like Bloody Mary's you'll really like this recipe for sangrita, it's similar but more citrus based and a lighter, more refreshing take but should still be made spicy. It's typically called a "Bangerita" or "Bandera" when drinking all 3 down in Guadalajara. 1 shot glass Sangrita, 1 shot glass good tequila and 1 shot glass fresh lime juice. Take a sip from each one, typically sangrita, tequila then lime. You can make it fresh which is better, but a bit of a pain, or used canned tomato juice and some good OJ. The wifey just likes drinking the sangrita by itself.

Sangrita (1 Pitcher)
6 medium tomatoes, peeled and seeded (1 big can of tomato juice - roughly 2/3 pitcher)
3 oranges, juiced (Good OJ in a carton - roughly 1/3 pitcher)
2 limes, juiced (I used 3 limes with the canned juices)
1 small onion, chopped (1/2 tsp. onion powder as a substitute)
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. chili pepper (or to taste, but sangritas are typically pretty spicy)
1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (This is for standard, I like a lil more)
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste

After everything's mixed up let it refrigerate for at least a few hours so the flavors can blend, serve and enjoy. There are a lot more recipes for sangrita out there but this is the closest I got to the authentic stuff I really liked down south and it's right on the money. Trivia - The drink name Bandera, or flag in English, is used down south due to the red, white and green of the 3 shot glasses making up the colors of the Mexican flag.

rjohnson4405
06-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Wow, thanks everyone for the replies so far.

Hard Cider? This interests me. I bet I would really like it, but have no idea where to find that here in Ohio.

DocGKR - Port, more things to try. I do like champagne, our favorite reasonable champagne is Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante.

I haven't really found much wine. Darks do not go over well and I juts compare a light wine to champagne and end up not liking it as much, probably incorrect on my part.

Beers I like - Newcastle is a favorite, most darker beers in general I do like. Miller Lite if it has to be domestic.

I love all the recommendations, some sound great, some sound gross. A Horse's Neck is something to keep in mind.

rjohnson4405
06-24-2011, 03:23 PM
I have had a couple tequilas I like too.

Patron Silver is okay, but I usually have to suck on a lime every once in a while to handle it, LOL.

rjohnson4405
06-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Looked up a horse's neck.

When made with Ale-8-One and Maker's Mark it's considered a Kentucky Gentlemen! I love Ale-8-One, got to try this.

jslaker
06-25-2011, 03:27 AM
I am stomp down AMAZED at how good moderately priced tequilas are.
I have had everything from rotgut plastic bottle bottom shelves to $70 a bottle blancos, and have yet to find a tequila I don't hate.

Mitchell, Esq.
06-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Tequila hasn't become the latest victim of high dollar add campaigns dedicated to making it a high priced drink for high priced individuals...like single malt scotch was subjected to.

I like single malts...but their is no reason they should cost what they do compared to the blends, or some really killer bourbons.

It's advertising.

LittleLebowski
06-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Try the Reposado (http://lunazultequila.com/).

Kyle Reese
06-27-2011, 11:41 AM
I had half a beer on Sat night- a Singha. Not bad, and goes well with Indonesian fare.

JConn
06-27-2011, 07:43 PM
I had a herradura reposado the other day. Very tasty to sip.