PDA

View Full Version : First Post- M&P / HK

hoghunter
12-26-2011, 07:03 PM
I have had nightmares as of late with reliability issues in several new guns (FTF, FTE, etc.) all past the "break in period". I will leave the brand names out of it to save the guilty. So glad I wandered upon this upon this forum. I am looking 9mm only and so funny I was actually researching both the M&P 9 and HK P30. Clearly the HK is much more expensive, but if it is good as my P7 then it will be around a very long time. Have had great success with my son's M&P 15-22 (likely the most reliable and fun firearm we have ever owned) so I turned to look at M&P again. I love the Torture Tests as it gives me a sense of trust with either gun. Not really a question here just a thanks to the pistol-forum Team for helping me drill down on my next purchase. Now just gotta decide between the two firearms!

BaiHu
12-27-2011, 11:29 AM
When in doubt, get 'em both :D I'm an HK owner, but I'm not a hater of any other. I hear good things about the MP, so I'm sure you'll enjoy either one. What's your purpose behind the purchase anyway?

Mitchell, Esq.
12-27-2011, 01:22 PM
I have had nightmares as of late with reliability issues in several new guns (FTF, FTE, etc.) all past the "break in period". I will leave the brand names out of it to save the guilty. So glad I wandered upon this upon this forum. I am looking 9mm only and so funny I was actually researching both the M&P 9 and HK P30. Clearly the HK is much more expensive, but if it is good as my P7 then it will be around a very long time. Have had great success with my son's M&P 15-22 (likely the most reliable and fun firearm we have ever owned) so I turned to look at M&P again. I love the Torture Tests as it gives me a sense of trust with either gun. Not really a question here just a thanks to the pistol-forum Team for helping me drill down on my next purchase. Now just gotta decide between the two firearms!

Why not keep with the P7?

CCT125US
12-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Being a P30 owner, that gets my vote. Both guns have the changeable backstraps but the P30 has the adjustable lateral panels as well. This helps to really adjust it for each user. Mine has been 100% reliable in over 6K rounds probably the same amount in dry fire. Do your research into what variant you need and try to get your hands on one for testing. The M&P is a fine gun as well, I simply shoot the HK better. Your results may vary so get both to the range and see which one gives you better measured results.

nwhpfan
12-27-2011, 01:52 PM
I used to own a P30, carry a P2000 LEM, and own a M&P. Personally I would recommend the M&P because it's nearly half a P30 and money saved could go to ammo, a class, or a re loader.

Tamara
12-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Why not keep with the P7?

Limited capacity, issues with a frickin' hot gun when engaged in high-volume shooting at gun school, and maintenance is a bitch when small parts break under high-round-count duty cycles. Plus spare mags and quality holsters are scarce and expensive.

Signed,

Former owner and toter of two P7M8s. :o

deeHKman
12-27-2011, 03:31 PM
I would go with a P30 in which variant you like. All my HK's are DA/SA, comparing a striker to DA or LEM in HK is personal on which you like . I'm not a big fan of striker fired gun's just my preference, good luck...

Mitchell, Esq.
12-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Limited capacity, issues with a frickin' hot gun when engaged in high-volume shooting at gun school, and maintenance is a bitch when small parts break under high-round-count duty cycles. Plus spare mags and quality holsters are scarce and expensive.

Signed,

And the fact Hans carried one in Die Hard does not save it?

JodyH
12-27-2011, 06:13 PM
H&K if you plan on AIWB, M&P otherwise.
The only thing the H&K has over the M&P is a hammer to ride while re-holstering.

hoghunter
12-27-2011, 07:47 PM

Signed,

Well, Tamara about summed it up. I love my P7 but bought it without maybe thinking through my POU. The gun does get hot after 50 rounds which prohibits you from spending long days at the range- especially when the closest range is 45 minutes away. All the folks who have property to shoot on are very fortunate. The P7 would be very difficult to service in short notice. Add on parts are REALLY expensive. Plus it is just too doggone nice looking to beat it up (mine is not a police trade in).

Tamara
12-27-2011, 08:15 PM
And the fact Hans carried one in Die Hard does not save it?
Not even the fact that Christopher Walken used one to cap Dennis Hopper in True Romance. ;)

Mitchell, Esq.
12-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Not even the fact that Christopher Walken used one to cap Dennis Hopper in True Romance. ;)

Dam, you are a harsh one...

JAD
12-27-2011, 09:19 PM

"I could shoot you from Stuttgart."

DocGKR
12-27-2011, 09:26 PM
"H&K if you plan on AIWB, M&P otherwise. The only thing the H&K has over the M&P is a hammer to ride while re-holstering.

Get the M&P w/ambi-safety and you don't have to worry about re-holstering AIWB...

TGS
12-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Get the M&P w/ambi-safety and you don't have to worry about re-holstering AIWB...

Unless you're a butter-fingered cretin such as myself and don't like manual safeties. :D

JodyH
12-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Safety?

hoghunter
12-30-2011, 09:23 PM
I went with the M&P9. Taking to the range tomorrow. Clean, oil, lube tonight. Any words of wisdom for a flawless initial range visit? I racked the slide a bunch to get the spring and rails worked a bit. All I have is Lawman 115gr 9mm so hopefully the lack of NATO power rounds doesn't cause break in issues.

mongooseman
12-30-2011, 09:50 PM
I own a DA/SA P30 and a M&P 9mm full. I really think both are first class handguns. I'm carrying the M&P because I have the tendency to shoot deliberately and the M&P lets me get off the first shot quicker with more accuracy. There's no doubt that the P30 is world class but my performance with the Smith is similar and I haven't spent nearly as much time as it as I have working on that DA trigger. It's also nice to be able to find accessories as the M&P seems to be growing in popularity. Not to mention that the price is sometimes half that of the P30. Not planning to get rid of the H&K but I am planning to buy another M&P as soon as possible.

TheRoland
12-30-2011, 10:35 PM
I went with the M&P9. Taking to the range tomorrow. Clean, oil, lube tonight. Any words of wisdom for a flawless initial range visit? I racked the slide a bunch to get the spring and rails worked a bit. All I have is Lawman 115gr 9mm so hopefully the lack of NATO power rounds doesn't cause break in issues.

A modern polymer handgun like the M&P should not require break-in of any kind. If it doesn't work immediately with the shittiest ammo on the planet, it's broken.

Tamara
12-31-2011, 07:21 AM
Any words of wisdom for a flawless initial range visit?
Make sure the rounds are in the magazine pointy-end-forward. That should pretty much do it. ;)

JodyH
12-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Make sure the rounds are in the magazine pointy-end-forward. That should pretty much do it. ;)
You sure about that?

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/reliability.jpg

matman
01-01-2012, 03:46 PM
That's attention to detail there... I am going to hang onto that photo.

Tamara
01-01-2012, 09:01 PM
"In a world of compromise, some need to beat their photographers until their noses bleed buttermilk."

HundK will never, ever live that gaffe down. :o

JFK
01-01-2012, 09:11 PM
This is what happens when German engineering meets New York City marketing.

bzuber56
01-01-2012, 10:00 PM
You should be happy with the M&P. I had the .40 Pro Series since early November with around 700 rounds pushed through it with no issues. No breaking required on the M&P pistols. Eats everything I have fed it. Mostly WWB 165 grain at the range. Took about 100 rounds to learn the trigger (too nice on mine). I put it through a test off the bat. After initial cleaning and lube pushed around 600 rounds without a cleaning. Not one issue. Good luck with yours.

ToddG
01-02-2012, 11:46 AM
HundK will never, ever live that gaffe down. :o

They still have crates of those catalogs. I tried for more than a year to get a box (probably about 200 catalogs). I said I'd raffle them off and give the money to charity. It's not like a secret at this point, after all. Still, no dice.

BTW, last I knew, the guy responsible for that cover shot was the head marketeer at SIG.

hoghunter
01-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Just a quick range update. The M&P9 performed flawlessly with the Lawman 115gr. I could not be any happier. Thanks to Todd and his Team for a great website and torture test. This is the first auto I've had in a log time without any issues out of the box. May do some research on a trigger because every shot I took ran left. I put a fist sized hole in the target just left of center. Gonna use the training tab on this website to work through some exercises. Is there a "preferred" grain weight for the M&P9? I don't buy 147gr as that is not recommended for my HK P7. Funny how the late model Gen3 G34 had brass to the face with the exact same 115gr ammo I use in my M&P9, yet the M&P rainbows the casings perfectly. Glock told me it was my ammo causing the issues?? Based on my experience with the M&P9 and my son's M&P 15-22 (which is the most reliable firearm we have EVER owned) I am now a M&P convert!!