PDA

View Full Version : Sig Red Dot ready slides coming soon...

BehindBlueI's
05-15-2017, 04:54 PM
"Romeo" slides for the P226 9mm and P229 9mm, at least. It appears to be the same as the "Caliber exchange kits", a slide to swap onto an existing frame.

http://www.trackstreet.com/Resources/Policies/Sig%20Sauer%20TS%20Price%20List.pdf

New 798681577446 CALX-226-9-B-RX CALIBER X-CHANGE KIT, 226, 9, RX. BLK $433.00
New 798681577453 CALX-229-9-B-RX CALIBER X-CHANGE KIT, 229, 9, RX. BLK $433.00

newt
05-15-2017, 07:44 PM
I hope that's right. That'd be about my first shot at a red dot.

GJM
05-15-2017, 07:48 PM
Wonder when there will be 320/optic slides offered?

Odin Bravo One
05-15-2017, 07:55 PM
I'm just waiting on my free Sig MRDS optics.......

jwperry
05-15-2017, 07:55 PM
Does the Romeo have a common mount pattern with any other mRDS?

Dismas316
05-15-2017, 08:03 PM
Good sign from sig, hope they can keep them in stock.

Balisong
05-15-2017, 08:20 PM

Nope

jwperry
05-15-2017, 08:33 PM
Nope
Darn. Here's to hoping it can be a reliable toy...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Balisong
05-15-2017, 08:46 PM
Darn. Here's to hoping it can be a reliable toy...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

It's a fairly inexpensive way to test the waters of red dot on a pistol. That's why I bought a romeo equipped 320 for less than $200 above what an iron sighted one would have cost. I figure if I decide to adopt red dots wholeheartedly, I will have slides milled for whatever optic I prefer, if I end up not caring for the Romeo.

Bart Carter
05-15-2017, 09:07 PM
I tried to get dimensions from SIG to mill for their slide optic. They will not provide them, like virtually every one of their competitors do. Don't know why they would make a decision like that.

GJM
05-15-2017, 09:13 PM
How long does the battery in the Romeo 1 last? How does it do in the rain?

Dismas316
05-15-2017, 09:24 PM

Your are going to get a bit of a varied answer here. Couple things that are factors are if you leave it on, even though it will go off automatically after 2 minutes, there still some power being used. Any movement will activate it back on. Also it depends on the setting you have the red dot on, their are 5, and the brighter ones will obviously burn more energy. I have had my 320c rx for about 3 months now and carry it everyday and never turned it off. I had to change the battery last week. The battery is very simple to change. I began to notice the difference when changing the settings to brighter, it was not getting as bright as it had been.

taadski
05-15-2017, 09:51 PM

For you? Between 7 and 10 days. Max. :)

Mark Housel
05-15-2017, 10:19 PM
The term "common mounting pattern" and "common footprint" are, or at least can be, misleading. I have seen claims that the original Deltapoint and the Deltapoint Pro have the same "mounting pattern". IMO nothing could be further from the truth. They simply use the same spacing and the same clearance holes for their custom, shouldered M4x0.7 screws. Though in radically different lengths.

All optics [that I have ever seen] other than the Trijicon RMR have the same mounting hole spacing. Meaning that on a planar surface with two mounting holes they will line up with the clearance holes in the optic. Whether the holes clear the particular screw size used on that optic, whether any alignment pegs match any pockets in the optic, are another matter.

The other parameter that is not generally part of the above terms is the relationship between the mounting holes and the front and rear of the optic, the shape of those surfaces, etc.
On factory slides that are optic ready I have not seen any that don't provide very generous clearance between the front and rear of the milled slot that make this less of an issue.

FWIW, all $.0002 that is. :)

Bart Carter
05-15-2017, 11:14 PM
...On factory slides that are optic ready I have not seen any that don't provide very generous clearance between the front and rear of the milled slot that make this less of an issue...
So on optic ready factory slides do they rely on the recoil lugs to handle recoil?

In your experience, would the mounting screws be sufficient to handle recoil? After talking to Vortex, they felt that the mounting screws would be sufficient, but I would like to hear your view as most would consider you as the expert in this field.

Mark Housel
05-16-2017, 05:31 AM
So on optic ready factory slides do they rely on the recoil lugs to handle recoil?

In your experience, would the mounting screws be sufficient to handle recoil? After talking to Vortex, they felt that the mounting screws would be sufficient, but I would like to hear your view as most would consider you as the expert in this field.

I am not certain to what extend the little bosses help with recoil or just RTZ. That may be more of a factor on an adapter with zero for/aft support since only frictional forces and the limits of the clearance hole prevent fore/aft movement under recoil without them.

I have not had anyone either contact me, or demonstrate an optic mounted to a slide or adapter without those bosses breaking screws under recoil forces. I suspect if that had actually occurred we'd have been reading about it by now.

Even the Glock MOS "optic flew off after n rounds" that I have personally seen, the customer used the wrong screw (#5 in a #6 hole).

These are typically flat head socket socket screws so the primary contact with the optic is at the top. On the assumption that the friction between the optic and the slide is negligible and only the screw prevents the optic from moving fore/aft. Then the amount of movement of the optic allowed by the flexing of the screw in the clearance hole is pretty small and I don't think that it would flex a screw beyond its elastic limit.

I have always contended that it would be difficult to get an optic off of a slide by breaking two 6-32/6-40 (Vortex uses 6-48 typically) steel screws without destroying the optic, so the stories of screws "shearing off" if these bosses are not present I think are just rumors.

OTOH, perhaps an unsupported optic might be more prone to have the screws loosen? I don't know for certain, but a properly tightened and Loctited screw I suspect it isn't an issue.
But loosening over time isn't 'failure to handle recoil forces' in the manner I think you are asking.

Thus ends my long winded thought process. :rolleyes:

Bart Carter
05-16-2017, 09:14 AM
Mark, thanks for the confirmation of my thinking on the subject. Since I don't make adapter plates, I mill for a very tight fit on each end of an optic. That, plus the screws, gives me a better level of confidence.

So far so good. :D

GJM
05-16-2017, 09:41 AM
Yes, I am getting grumpy about why my multiple Delta Point Pro optics have such poor battery life, and other are reporting marvelous endurance. No problems with the battery in the RMR, although I am dissatisfied in the rain, when the emitter gets wet. The T1 seems fine on wet and battery, so I am hoping the Nano is soon(tm). Hopefully the Romeo turns out to be good, as it appears to have a nice display.

Dismas316
05-18-2017, 10:41 AM
"Romeo" slides for the P226 9mm and P229 9mm, at least. It appears to be the same as the "Caliber exchange kits", a slide to swap onto an existing frame.

http://www.trackstreet.com/Resources/Policies/Sig%20Sauer%20TS%20Price%20List.pdf

New 798681577446 CALX-226-9-B-RX CALIBER X-CHANGE KIT, 226, 9, RX. BLK $433.00
New 798681577453 CALX-229-9-B-RX CALIBER X-CHANGE KIT, 229, 9, RX. BLK $433.00

Not sure where you are getting this pricing, maybe it is for LE or wholesale, but I hear the price will be $589 which will include the full slide assembly along with 1 mag.

Sig also will have a full conversion kit for the 320 in both full and compact size for $689. At that price not sure why you just wouldn't buy the 320rx on it's own.

OnionsAndDragons
05-20-2017, 12:31 AM
For $433, I might just get get one for my trust 226...

If I don't just try to sell it to BBIs to finance more HKs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MGW
05-20-2017, 10:09 AM
If you qualify how the heck do you order one?

taadski
05-20-2017, 11:57 PM
I've gone through (1) our LE regional rep, (2) one of the LE dealers listed on the factory website and (3) ordered direct from the mothership by phone. Their LE sales manager has been very helpful by phone.